Would Bruce even stand a chance?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Would Bruce even stand a chance?
« Previous Page | Next Page »
grappler0000
7/6/07 12:59:21AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

No, I know Van Damme (in his prime) might do well because of his full-contact kickboxing experience, and because of his knowledge of Muay Thai.

\

Chuck Zito might have something to say about that.

But, I know what you are saying...he practices a proven MA that works. We all know that Kickboxing works. We see it at work in MMA daily. It's what people train for the standup game...cuz it works. People have had success in MMA who come from a Kickboxing background.

JKD is a completely different animal. Lee was on the right track, as he was able to see that most of the Karate and Kung Fu in the world was nothing but junk. He created something better, but not anything near the best. Nobody in MMA trains JKD for a reason...there are better options. There has never been a dominant JKD fighter in MMA...and yes there were a couple in early UFC...and that was when their opponents were still one dimensional. JKD didn't make the cut, as was the case with most of the MA's introduced at that time.

I keep hearing people point out that Dana White said that Bruce Lee was the father of Mixed Martial Arts...yes, this is somewhat true. Lee did in fact take several disciplines and refine them into a more efficient and effective brand of MA. When people think of Martial Arts, the first person to come to mind is always Bruce Lee. If Bruce Lee wasn't a movie star, would we hold him to the same standard as we do? He gets credited will all sorts of stunning feats...and sometimes they are as ridiculous as the Chuck Norris facts...yet some people still believe them all. I've got a question. Why is the guy who developed Sambo not considered the the father of Mixed Martial Arts? Sambo was developed with a similar methodology as JKD. It is much more effective than JKD is...if you care to argue this point, please compare the track records first. And Sambo was developed even before Lee was born. Why isn't the guy who invented Sambo the father of Mixed Martial Arts...probably just because he is not a household name. (similar arguments could also be made about catch wrestling or pankration)
nWo
7/6/07 3:52:47AM
besides van damme never fought
wasnt he a ballet dancer
snydes
7/6/07 5:23:06AM

Posted by nWo

besides van damme never fought
wasnt he a ballet dancer

I think better we drop the Van Dammne thing...Before theres a thread posted asking where you would rank him in todays MMA!

THIS IS A JOKE!
Aether
7/6/07 6:08:46AM

Posted by nWo

Bruce Lee never fought(ONE BOXING MATCH WHEN HE WAS 18)
dont you understand HE WAS AN ACTOR NOT A FIGHTER,
to convince you to go watch his movie
many people would say he was a badass(SPIN)
ITS CALLED PROPAGANDA
TANK ABBOTT WOULD KILL BRUCE LEE AS WOULD ANY REAL MIXED MARTIAL ARTIST

"We timed him with an electric timer once"
wow an electric timer huh?

Ok find me 10 martial artists who can beat a boxing champion who has held their belt for an extended period of time currently practicing MMA. Your arguments are utterly devoid of logic and you type everything in uppercase letters, it's hard to take anything you say seriously. Tank abbott might kill bruce lee, but I don't see a whole lot of featherweights fighting heavyweights these days personally... don't know what MMA orgs you're watching.

Obviously if he could step into the ring with a champion who's held a belt in a discipline he didn't practice for three years and beat him at the age of 18 he must have been the real deal. Your own logic proves you wrong. "ONE BOXING MATCH WHEN HE WAS 18" right? Must've been pretty amazing if it was the only boxing match he'd ever had in his life and he beat the reigning champion. Can you find me some actors who can do that please? Obviously he wasn't just an actor.

He was so fast and unbelievably strong for his size that his standup would be lightyears ahead of anyone in his weightclass. He would hit like a LHW, and provided he developed a sprawl (which would be incredibly easy given his reaction time and natural ability) and even a sub-par submission defense I think he would actually be one of the best fighters in the sport at his weight.
nWo
7/6/07 3:24:43PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by nWo

Bruce Lee never fought(ONE BOXING MATCH WHEN HE WAS 18)
dont you understand HE WAS AN ACTOR NOT A FIGHTER,
to convince you to go watch his movie
many people would say he was a badass(SPIN)
ITS CALLED PROPAGANDA
TANK ABBOTT WOULD KILL BRUCE LEE AS WOULD ANY REAL MIXED MARTIAL ARTIST

"We timed him with an electric timer once"
wow an electric timer huh?

Ok find me 10 martial artists who can beat a boxing champion who has held their belt for an extended period of time currently practicing MMA. Your arguments are utterly devoid of logic and you type everything in uppercase letters, it's hard to take anything you say seriously. Tank abbott might kill bruce lee, but I don't see a whole lot of featherweights fighting heavyweights these days personally... don't know what MMA orgs you're watching.

Obviously if he could step into the ring with a champion who's held a belt in a discipline he didn't practice for three years and beat him at the age of 18 he must have been the real deal. Your own logic proves you wrong. "ONE BOXING MATCH WHEN HE WAS 18" right? Must've been pretty amazing if it was the only boxing match he'd ever had in his life and he beat the reigning champion. Can you find me some actors who can do that please? Obviously he wasn't just an actor.

He was so fast and unbelievably strong for his size that his standup would be lightyears ahead of anyone in his weightclass. He would hit like a LHW, and provided he developed a sprawl (which would be incredibly easy given his reaction time and natural ability) and even a sub-par submission defense I think he would actually be one of the best fighters in the sport at his weight.

Sherk
Penn
FLorian
"REIGNING CHAMPION"
idot it was reigning junior college champion who was only 19(musta been amazing)
your nuthugging a movie star WHO NEVER FOUGHT!
NOONE IN UFC IS A JKD MASTER,? WONDER WHY.?
TheLIP
7/6/07 4:05:57PM
Bruce Lee is a legend and JKD was a major break through ... he was the first traditional Martial Artist to begin to mix arts ... he was fast and strong ... I think if he was 18 today, he could become a competitive professional mixed martial artist.

But the answer to the question in this thread is if you took Bruce Lee off the silver screen and threw him in the cage against BJ Penn or Sean Sherk, he would get taken down and beaten/choked unconscious.

JKD was a great break through, and you can use some of his techniques in MMA ... it was the first to be truly streetwise, Jeet Kune Do takes its most effective principals from such arts as Boxing, Muay-Thai kickboxing, Wing Chun kung fu, Jiu-Jitsu, Filipino Kali and Eskrima, Savate, Shoot Fighting and others. Jeet Kune Do trains in all ranges of combat: Kicking Range, Boxing Range, Trapping Range, Grappling Range, and how to flow from one range to the next.

That being said, it is far less effective because the sport of MMA has developed and Lee started JKD well beofre MMA even existed ... if he had stayed alive, and continued to evolve what he had started, it would be another story.

War MMAPower.com!!!
richieb19
7/6/07 4:29:16PM

Posted by nWo

I've watched you post nonsensically in this thread long enough... everyone in MMA is a JKD master, if you knew anything about Bruce Lee, and the impact he had on MMA you would know this.
Rush
7/6/07 4:44:07PM
For further reading there was another thread on this topic

Other thread
Rush
7/6/07 4:48:50PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by snydes

You know Van Damme would do that well either even tho he won that Tourny in Blood Sport...

Steven Seagal is a "Shichi-Dan" (7th-degree black belt) in Aikido.

Just going off on a tangent here. Seagal's rank is mostly due to his promotion of aikido through film and less to do with his skill. However, I've been doing aikido for years and can say that real video footage of him shows that he is very talented regardless of rank.
nWo
7/6/07 5:05:57PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by nWo

I've watched you post nonsensically in this thread long enough... everyone in MMA is a JKD master, if you knew anything about Bruce Lee, and the impact he had on MMA you would know this.

Even the gracies?
A lot of them in MMA.
BJJ>JKD
and was made long before bruce was even a baby
as was lancashire wrestling(saku)
pankration dates back 2000 years
and are still being used
noone uses jkd
so go back to watching tuf and enter the dragon
Rush
7/6/07 5:41:26PM
Guys come on. I don't want to see another multi page thread deleted.
nWo
7/6/07 6:07:47PM

Posted by Rush

Guys come on. I don't want to see another multi page thread deleted.

why would it get deleted?
noone is flaming
Aether
7/6/07 7:11:54PM
I'm tempted to start, but I'll just walk away, because you obviously have a magical shield that prevents any logic from entering your head.
nWo
7/6/07 7:37:46PM

Posted by Aether

I'm tempted to start, but I'll just walk away, because you obviously have a magical shield that prevents any logic from entering your head.

just give me a fight any fight
besides 1 BOXING MATCH WHEN HE WAS 18 OVER THEN 19 YEAR OLD REIGNING CHAMPION(how long was he reigning @ 19)
nubby
7/6/07 8:03:42PM

Posted by nWo

Posted by Aether

besides 1 BOXING MATCH WHEN HE WAS 18 OVER THEN 19 YEAR OLD REIGNING CHAMPION(how long was he reigning @ 19)

Does it have to be professional? Look at someone like Kimbo Slice, the dude has one professional fight, does that mean he never fought besides that one fight?
richieb19
7/6/07 9:31:29PM

Posted by nWo

Posted by richieb19

Posted by nWo

Even the gracies?
A lot of them in MMA.
BJJ>JKD
and was made long before bruce was even a baby
as was lancashire wrestling(saku)
pankration dates back 2000 years
and are still being used
noone uses jkd
so go back to watching tuf and enter the dragon

Do you even know what Jeet Kune Do is?
nWo
7/6/07 10:27:23PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by nWo

Posted by Aether

Does it have to be professional? Look at someone like Kimbo Slice, the dude has one professional fight, does that mean he never fought besides that one fight?

he has plenty of footage
TheLIP
7/6/07 10:39:51PM

Posted by richieb19

]Do you even know what Jeet Kune Do is?

From what I have been reading, nWo knows what JKD is all about better than most here. JKD has some good things that you can use when you graduate Junior High and start taking MT instead TKD or JKD ... I still use my elbows to block punches when I role with the punches in MT, but JKD is not good in MMA by itself ... it is something to be built upon.

Posted by StorminYourman

Bruce Lee if alive today and young might have dominated the Featherwieght and under classes.He was only 5'7" and never wieghed more than150 lbs.Leightwieght and above MMAists might just be too powerful for a guy that size since they were cutting down and he would be somewhere high for his build.That being said he would have been awsome in MMA with the amount of talent he had and proper training, who knows?

Ummm ... Faber would eat Lee alive .... I could probably ramble off more than a a dozen featherweights right off the top of my head who would finish Lee with relative ease in an MMA match.
nWo
7/6/07 11:31:20PM
no way is the way?
so does that mean that no way is a way?
in turn meaning it is not the way?
AN ACTOR
maybe a poet as well..........
but not a badass fighter
cmill21
7/7/07 1:34:12AM
He fought Chuck Norris...there now will you be quiet?
richieb19
7/7/07 1:46:04AM

Posted by nWo

no way is the way?
AN ACTOR
but not a badass fighter

You got the principal yet you don't understand it... Jeet Kune Do is a philosophy, not a martial art... use what works, and not what doesn't... Everyone on MMA is a Jeet Kune Do fighter... MMA = Jeet Kune Do...

As far as Lee fighting... who knows how well or how bad he would have done. You're right, above all else he was an actor... however a certain amount of respect is deserved as he was the first notable person to blend MA's in order to evolve...
cmill21
7/7/07 2:47:05AM
In short this thread is not debating whether or not Bruce fought in mma what 40 years before the UFC even debuted? I had no idea Bruce was an actor, but thanks for pointing it out. Had there been a UFC, and had he wanted to train in specific MA's he would have and he would have succeeded.
cmill21
7/8/07 3:05:05AM
You contribute sooo much to society...
nWo
7/8/07 11:00:22AM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by nWo

no way is the way?
AN ACTOR
but not a badass fighter

You got the principal yet you don't understand it... Jeet Kune Do is a philosophy, not a martial art... use what works, and not what doesn't... Everyone on MMA is a Jeet Kune Do fighter... MMA = Jeet Kune Do...

As far as Lee fighting... who knows how well or how bad he would have done. You're right, above all else he was an actor... however a certain amount of respect is deserved as he was the first notable person to blend MA's in order to evolve...

not many philosphers in th eufc, i dont think, thats like saying all fighters are vale tudo,do not mistake me for noob i been watching since ufc 1 live on ppv/ and rickson funaki
Taylor8766
7/9/07 3:45:31PM
Bruce is the founder of MMA and he would beat anyone in the sport even Liddell or GSP, he is so quick and punchs like a truck. He is also very good on the ground.
richieb19
7/9/07 4:14:20PM

Posted by nWo

Posted by richieb19

Posted by nWo

no way is the way?
AN ACTOR
but not a badass fighter

not many philosphers in th eufc, i dont think, thats like saying all fighters are vale tudo,do not mistake me for noob i been watching since ufc 1 live on ppv/ and rickson funaki

First of all, don't go around calling people noobs on here, especially when the two cards you mentioned are seven years apart. I'm not saying everyone is a philosopher, but whether you admit it or not, everybody that fights in MMA falls under the Jeet Kune Do category. Vale Tudo is not a blend of everything, it's basically everything goes... there is a big difference with that. Bruce Lee was one of the first well known martial artists who didn't rely on one art, and instead made his own form, suited to his own tastes and what works when fought. Albeit his own personal developed style of Jeet Kune Do would not have lasted in MMA, but the idea that someone who knew to overlook the traditional martial art vs. martial art idea and blend only what works, and leave out what doesn't would have picked up very quickly. As far as you going around on cap locks saying that he was nothing more than an actor, and not a real fighter... well there is some truth to that. However even people like Chuck Norris, who (correct me if I'm wrong) was a full contact karate champion 5 years in a row, have gone on record to say that they've never met anyone like Lee. Don't try and nit pick by saying that he has never fought, because truthfully there are countless people out there who could do well in the sport, yet just haven't fought. He is a legend in his own right for his views on fighting, and whether you chose to believe it or not, his JKD philosophy is exactly what MMA is all about.
nWo
7/9/07 4:17:58PM

Posted by Taylor8766

Bruce is the founder of MMA and he would beat anyone in the sport even Liddell or GSP, he is so quick and punchs like a truck. He is also very good on the ground.

lmao
bruce wouldnt do well
Chuck says that because he gets royalkties off the movie he was in
and i dont think chuck norris in his prime would do well in mma either
In response to the dangermod
I think JKD has been sisproved, ie there are four ways that are the way, WRESTLING, BOXING, JIU JITSU, KICKBOXING are the ways
without those four ways no one will make it.
THOSE ARE THE WAY
war mmapower.com
Jujiden
7/9/07 4:48:11PM
Whoooooaaaa my ninjas! Bruce Lee? Please. Of course he would be dominant, if not the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

When people talk about Bruce Lee they talk about the actor Bruce Lee and only recognize the fighting he's done in the movies. Bruce was a complete fighter. He did, in fact, extensively study many forms of ground fighting including Jujutsu, wrestling, and Sambo. His work ethic and understanding of martial arts was unfathomable and would show in the cage.

He said himself that if he fought in the movies like he did in real life that it would be ugly-looking and very destructive and not beautiful and fluid like film coreography.

If he lost in the cage, it probably wouldn't happen again.

It's ignorance that causes people to assume anything but good about a martial artist of Bruce Lee's calibur. He wasn't about money, glory, or belts. He was about learning Martial Arts to it's fullest extent in all areas and applying them to his own personal style.

Also, many believe that MMA is the answer for all things martial arts. But people forget that it is still a sport with rules, stipulations, and restraints and only offer a shadow or an image of what true fighting may look like in an unrestricted venue, closed or open.
Jujiden
7/9/07 4:58:58PM
Also, according to Bruce himself (and his wife) Jeet Kune Do was both a set of philosophies and a martial art.

http://www.bruceleefoundation.com/

The authoritative Bruce Lee site. And before you respond, please read about Bruce Lee's true intentions for Jeet Kune Do.
nWo
7/9/07 8:58:29PM

Posted by Jujiden

Whoooooaaaa my ninjas! Bruce Lee? Please. Of course he would be dominant, if not the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

When people talk about Bruce Lee they talk about the actor Bruce Lee and only recognize the fighting he's done in the movies. Bruce was a complete fighter. He did, in fact, extensively study many forms of ground fighting including Jujutsu, wrestling, and Sambo. His work ethic and understanding of martial arts was unfathomable and would show in the cage.

He said himself that if he fought in the movies like he did in real life that it would be ugly-looking and very destructive and not beautiful and fluid like film coreography.

If he lost in the cage, it probably wouldn't happen again.

It's ignorance that causes people to assume anything but good about a martial artist of Bruce Lee's calibur. He wasn't about money, glory, or belts. He was about learning Martial Arts to it's fullest extent in all areas and applying them to his own personal style.

Also, many believe that MMA is the answer for all things martial arts. But people forget that it is still a sport with rules, stipulations, and restraints and only offer a shadow or an image of what true fighting may look like in an unrestricted venue, closed or open.

that would be why HE NEVER FOUGHT!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6