Would Bruce even stand a chance?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Would Bruce even stand a chance?
Next Page »
nubby
7/2/07 3:24:27PM
I think it's pretty much well known that someone like Bruce Lee wouldn't stand a chance against someone like Chuck Liddell or Quinton Jackson. But what about some of the less experienced guys like a Sean Salmon or a Kendall Grove?

Is their "mediocre" skills far better than Bruce Lee, who many consider to be the best martial artist of his time?
cmill21
7/2/07 3:29:31PM
Why woulden't bruce stand a chance against the tops in his weight class.
nubby
7/2/07 3:32:16PM
Mainly due to his lack of ground game. Let's say he was in light weight, do you really think he would be able to take a BJ Penn or a Sean Sherk? There just is no way he would be able to deal with the submission game or the wrestling skills. I think his best chance would be against somone with no ground game. But that's pretty rare because even somone with some what decent BJJ skills would still be able to submit him, don't you think?
pv3Hpv3p
7/2/07 3:55:49PM
I guess Bruce Lee as he was, wouldn't stand a chance agaisnt most MMA fighters... But I'd think that if Lee was to compete in MMA, then he would've developed a more well rounded game... I imagine him kinda like a smaller version of Cung Le, if that's a fair comparison
nubby
7/2/07 4:01:29PM
I think my question is more about how he was as a fighter before he died, not if he was able to learn BJJ and all the other more prominant techniques. I think he would fight more like Machida.
Piccosaur
7/2/07 4:15:12PM
Bruce could beat anyone as long as they didn't take him down.....
nubby
7/2/07 4:16:16PM

Posted by Piccosaur

Bruce could beat anyone as long as they didn't take him down.....

Are you sure about that? You don't think someone like Machida would give him problems?
cmill21
7/2/07 4:18:06PM
I think being that he had the mind to creat jeet kun do he would develop some sort of ground game or defense.
pv3Hpv3p
7/2/07 4:45:55PM

Posted by nubby

I think my question is more about how he was as a fighter before he died, not if he was able to learn BJJ and all the other more prominant techniques. I think he would fight more like Machida.

I understand that, but I just don't think that he would've not accounted for it... He seemed like a very inteligent and cerebral man... It just doesn't seem like he'd go in there solely reliant on his standup...

I guess I could imagine a Machida putting up a good fight against him... It would be really tough to say... Does he have a good chin? he was a little guy right? (145er something like that)... maybe a more fitting question would be how he would do in K-1 MAX... Bruce Lee vs Kid / Zambidis something like that would've been something else
cmill21
7/2/07 4:50:40PM
He was little, but his body was like 90% muscle 10% bone. He was a strong man, and he had a way of harnessing all the strength in his body into one movement. KO powed in everything he does.
nWo
7/2/07 5:43:07PM
i wish there were neg props because BRUCE LEE WAS JUST AN ACTOR BORN IN CA
nubby
7/2/07 6:14:57PM

Posted by nWo

i wish there were neg props because BRUCE LEE WAS JUST AN ACTOR BORN IN CA

Umm, quite a few people would disagree with that. He had a lot of martial arts training as a teen. And many many people in the industry feel that he is the grandfather of mixed martial arts especially due to his philisophy on martial arts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_lee#Martial_arts_training_and_development

You can read about him there.
MisFiT
7/2/07 6:21:55PM
Lee isnt anything without all that crazy shit, which he wouldnt be able to use in the MMA environment. Therefore I dont think he'd do that well. Brandon Lee on the other hand I think would do better in MMA than his dad would.
Stickan
7/2/07 6:29:39PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p
I imagine him kinda like a smaller version of Cung Le, if that's a fair comparison

I don't think it is because Cung Le has only trained techniques that he's tested in competition. He's tested his martial art skills over and over again in Sanshou and MMA competition where as I've never heard of a non-scripted Bruce Lee fight.
FeelTheJoy
7/2/07 6:45:31PM
i dont know. prob not because he was an actor. all the fights you see in the movie are fake obviously. but he still was very good. no doubt about it. but maybe with some ground training he could prob take on a few dudes.
ko-kbo130
7/2/07 6:53:41PM
although he was an actor, he was still a master of martial arts. to be honest i dont think anyone would be able to take him down. he was just to fast and strong.
nubby
7/2/07 7:00:11PM
Since I posted earlier I have been searching for info on any real fights. Apparently he did fight real fights and did so quite often. One person recounted how a stunt extra during the filiming of enter the dragon challeneged Bruce Lee to a duel. He said that Lee destroyed the Stunt man and afterwards told him to get back to work.
FeelTheJoy
7/2/07 7:08:46PM
haha. thats awesome. nothing better than kicking sumones ass then tell them to get back to work.
placente
7/2/07 7:19:24PM
bruce lee was considered the father of martial arts even b4 mma he was so dedicated to it that when he suffered an injury on his back and coulnd walk he made a book of moves and created his style, so u think he woulnd b dedicated enough to learn mma and whoop everybody's ass
nubby
7/2/07 7:28:44PM
I just read some more articles where it stated he trained with that really famous Judo master.
cmill21
7/2/07 7:31:01PM
Bruce Lee was not just an actor. I wish there were negative props so I could give you 50 for saying that.
JunCTion
7/2/07 8:17:51PM

Posted by nubby

then the ? is not fair. cause he would have become more well rounded. to make the question fair would be to put him against fighters with only 1 or 2 martial arts. otherwise its apples and oranges. not the same playing field.

but to answer the ? as it is stated i believe he would dispose of his opponent before they had a chance to take him down
grappler0000
7/2/07 10:04:35PM

Posted by ko-kbo130

although he was an actor, he was still a master of martial arts. to be honest i dont think anyone would be able to take him down. he was just to fast and strong.

Don't forget he could shoot lightning bolts from his eye sockets.

I know everyone would like to remember Bruce Lee as the guy that could kick anyone's ass in history, but in reality, it's far from true. JKD was a definitely a step in the right direction when it came to refining Martial Arts, but it still had a distance to go. I'm not gonna spend too much time argueing this, because if you're convinced of something, there is nothing I can say to change your mind. I will just say this...while MMA has acted as the evolution for all of Martial Arts, do the best fighters in the world train JKD or do they train Kickboxing? And the ground game is just a whole different conversation all together.
cmill21
7/2/07 10:38:29PM
He kick chuck "the ice man" Norris' ass...nuff said.
MrLehman
7/2/07 10:42:14PM
Grove by Grave Robbing!
ko-kbo130
7/2/07 11:41:06PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by ko-kbo130

Don't forget he could shoot lightning bolts from his eye sockets.

I know everyone would like to remember Bruce Lee as the guy that could kick anyone's ass in history, but in reality, it's far from true. JKD was a definitely a step in the right direction when it came to refining Martial Arts, but it still had a distance to go. I'm not gonna spend too much time argueing this, because if you're convinced of something, there is nothing I can say to change your mind. I will just say this...while MMA has acted as the evolution for all of Martial Arts, do the best fighters in the world train JKD or do they train Kickboxing? And the ground game is just a whole different conversation all together.

what your saying is true. but what im saying his his strength and speed was so much greater than everybody else, which would make it hard for them to take him down. and we all know he could strike, wether he was trained in JKD or kickboxing hes still an amazing striker with speed that was so hard to match.
FeelTheJoy
7/3/07 1:04:41AM
i would give you negative 1000.
placente
7/3/07 2:29:41AM
the only thing bruce lee would lack woulb b his ground game, bcuz he had everything , speed, standup, kicks, movement, power. so if he fought a fight with a brawler like forrest griffin, i bet forrest' would think of take him down.

so he was almost a complete fighter.
grappler0000
7/3/07 6:52:58AM
Can anyone here actually name 5 people that had their asses handed to them by Lee...without the help of the internet?

One thing to keep in mind is the discipline of the individuals that he's fighting. If you remember, before 1993, most of this country was under the disillusion that styles like Karate were part of the elite MA's. Yes, back in the day, Bruce Lee could beat 99% of people involved in MMA, because most of the people practiced useless disciplines. Of all of the disciplines, probably 4 have actually remained in MMA as effective in real situations...and half of those would not of even been considered a part of Martial Arts by most people 20 years ago.

pv3Hpv3p
7/3/07 11:50:24AM

Posted by grappler0000

Can anyone here actually name 5 people that had their asses handed to them by Lee...without the help of the internet?

Can you name 5 people that had their asses handed to them by Helio Gracie or Masahiko Kimura??? With out the help of the internet?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6