Bruce Lee's chances in the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Bruce Lee's chances in the UFC
NinjaCyborg
5/28/08 3:16:20PM
If Bruce Lee were alive today and in his prime, would he be a UFC champion?
are their any current UFC fighters that could beat Bruce?

Thoughts on:
Bruce Lee Vs BJ Penn
Bruce Lee Vs. GSP
Bruce Lee Vs. Anderson Silva

holt8081
5/28/08 3:35:09PM
ya if any one of those guys could get close enough to get him on his back then he would lose. but thats a big IF they got close enough.
AchillesHeel
5/28/08 3:38:47PM
Oh lord, here we go again...

I'll just link to what I posted last time. I'm not writing all that again.

*dons helmet, waits for bombs to start dropping*

billycarnage
5/28/08 4:35:55PM
It would be hard to say that Bruce Lee would beat any of those guys but i think a good comparison would be Lyoto Machida. I know he doesn't practice Jeet Kun Do but he is very traditional and technical, as Bruce Lee would be. I think if he were around today he would adapt well to MMA.

When I first saw machida I thought he was boring and to meticulous(SP) but now I look forward to his fights and I respect his methods and strategies and ability to stick to a game plan. It is difficult to be that patient and stay composed. But it pays off. I hope he gets a shot at Rampage soon.
89vision
5/28/08 4:44:24PM
It's complex to really analyze how a dead man would do with his style(s) in the 70s or if he was alive today in the 00's and had all the advantages we have, you have to take this into account, so which bruce lee would do better? 70's Lee or 00's Lee....obviously the 00s version of Lee in his prime would do better than the Lee of old, this is why its too hard to say.

It's my honest opinion that its 50/50 since we dont know a lot of details, he could dominate using only speed, elusiveness, striking technique and a sprawl if you didnt have one or two punch KO power, we also have to assume he would be fluent in all areas of the mma game as well if he was around today, not sure if he had any wrestling BJJ skills (perhaps he knew a gracie then idk) but if he had a sick JJ game for backup and had a lot of success with his striking and sprawl in the cage then yeah its quite possible Lee would do well maybe dominate, theres so much to take into account its too hard to say because hes not in his prime right now let alone alive and we wouldnt know if he had weaknesses or strengths in his all around mma skills or if he would have been a natural at everything.
seanfu
5/28/08 4:54:48PM
Lee would get demolished by Anderson or GSP. Penn MIGHT come out and get ktfo.

Lee was small REALLY small and naturally weighed around 140 to 145.

On the ground Bruce Lee would get mauled but he was also very smart.

The post is not very good simply because it's pitting him against such evolved fighters.

I think Lee would've beaten Royce or old Jens or Ludwig. These are debatable but in the fact that he'd probably never seen BJJ or practiced any form of wrestling I say he is getting much respect. As far as today though, bad matchups.

Don't get caught up in the 60's and 70's with all the unevolved fighters.

Lee had as well an evolved game as there was in his time and beat those who did not evolve with him but wouldn't win in todays circuit.
loonytnt
5/28/08 5:26:37PM
bruce lee would lose to any fighter in the ufc, the sport has grown so much that all the fighter in the ufc need to be well rounded, its a sport now not just fighting like it was in the first ufc's and the guys are to good

EON
5/28/08 5:37:54PM

Posted by 89vision

It's complex to really analyze how a dead man would do with his style(s) in the 70s or if he was alive today in the 00's and had all the advantages we have, you have to take this into account, so which bruce lee would do better? 70's Lee or 00's Lee....obviously the 00s version of Lee in his prime would do better than the Lee of old, this is why its too hard to say.

It's my honest opinion that its 50/50 since we dont know a lot of details, he could dominate using only speed, elusiveness, striking technique and a sprawl if you didnt have one or two punch KO power, we also have to assume he would be fluent in all areas of the mma game as well if he was around today, not sure if he had any wrestling BJJ skills (perhaps he knew a gracie then idk) but if he had a sick JJ game for backup and had a lot of success with his striking and sprawl in the cage then yeah its quite possible Lee would do well maybe dominate, theres so much to take into account its too hard to say because hes not in his prime right now let alone alive and we wouldnt know if he had weaknesses or strengths in his all around mma skills or if he would have been a natural at everything.

CantAndleDaRiddum
5/28/08 5:59:22PM

Posted by NinjaCyborg

If Bruce Lee were alive today and in his prime, would he be a UFC champion?
are their any current UFC fighters that could beat Bruce?

Thoughts on:
Bruce Lee Vs BJ Penn
Bruce Lee Vs. GSP
Bruce Lee Vs. Anderson Silva

mrsmiley
5/28/08 6:27:51PM

Bruce didn't even try to apply any ground game to JKD until he met Gene Lebell.Supposedly,after Lebell had beaten Lee in several sparring sessions back to back with pure grappling,Lee changed his mind on the grappling arts.

That's my understanding on Lee's ground game.One thing I read on Lebell's website about Lee,was that he kicked he very hard for a little guy.Gene even went on to mention if Lee had weighed about 200 pounds or so he probably would have knocked Lebell out with his kicks when sparring.That's the most accurate first hand account I ever found that probably accuratley described how strong Lee was for a guy his size.

Lee revolutionized the way we look at Martial Arts here in the west.I think every MMA fan owes at least a small debt to Lee for what he has done.With that being said though,I have to admit I honestly believe Lee would get demolished by any one on that list.Lee is a legend,but I have to be realistic.The legend would fall pretty hard against anyone of those guys.
ICSlegend
5/28/08 10:04:34PM
If I remember correctly Bruce Lee punched 1/300t-1/500th of a second.

I don't care how evolved current MMA fighters are, no one can handle this speed. His kicks were in that ballpark as well.

Read his Tao of JKD book, there's extensive subs and ground work in there.

There's some training vid on youtube, where Lee does his lead side kick knee level, breaking a board. In slow-motion it still looks like fast-forward. I don't care if its Fedor he's fighting, you can't block or evade an attack you can't see.

I don't see too many MMA fighters being able to handle his speed and power. Watch some training footage, he's so fast you can't really see what he's doing. When was the last time you saw an MMA fighter attack so fast that it was a blur?

edit - here's a vid - http://youtube.com/watch?v=kH6npy3bfng&feature=related
george112
5/28/08 10:27:00PM
Bruces Lees "style" if u want to call it was based upon "not having a style" which means he was an oppurtunistic fighter..yea if he thought he could beat u up with punches and kicks he would do so.but also if he thought he couldnt i wouldnt be surprised to see a punch or kick to the groin or some other highly sensative spot .which isnt illegal in a REAL fight because when yur in a fight it doesnt matter how u win as long as u win.its all about protecting yurself in the easiest way possible without exerting that much energy and without getting injured..BUT in the UFC where there is rules no i dont think that bruce would fare that well with todays fighters..BUT also i think that if they were to meet in an alley or somewhere other than an octagon or ring yea i think that bruce would woop some ass
mrsmiley
5/28/08 10:31:29PM

Posted by ICSlegend

If I remember correctly Bruce Lee punched 1/300t-1/500th of a second.

I don't care how evolved current MMA fighters are, no one can handle this speed. His kicks were in that ballpark as well.

Read his Tao of JKD book, there's extensive subs and ground work in there.

There's some training vid on youtube, where Lee does his lead side kick knee level, breaking a board. In slow-motion it still looks like fast-forward. I don't care if its Fedor he's fighting, you can't block or evade an attack you can't see.

I don't see too many MMA fighters being able to handle his speed and power. Watch some training footage, he's so fast you can't really see what he's doing. When was the last time you saw an MMA fighter attack so fast that it was a blur?

edit - here's a vid - http://youtube.com/watch?v=kH6npy3bfng&feature=related

Melvin Manhoef.

All this isn't applied into an actual fight though.It's like playing guitar.You can be the fastest most well versed player in the world,but that doesn't mean you're going to make it far in a band.
If Bruce Lee was an MMA fighter and was pulling off these feats I could see making the claim,but the fact of the matter is their have been plenty of people that can pull off amazing physical feats similar to this,but that doesn't mean they would beat up everyone in the world.Using this in a demonstration and applying it to a real fight or two very different things.
Pookie
5/28/08 10:56:37PM
i think he would do well as he was against only stand-up fighters, and on that note he could probably do well against much bigger strikers if that was their only real strength offensively.

He had all the natural talent in the world to make it, but it just wasnt his time and because of this he wasnt well versed enough in bjj and wrestling to be able to defensively handle it in an mma setting. With proper training he could have been the best. Too bad it wasnt his time
Raykill
5/28/08 11:41:38PM
Yes, He would be a champ. He was super fast, explosive in his movement.
He created a whole new fight style which no one could answer. He was a smart fighter. It would just take him watching MMA fighter's of today to adapt his style to fit or counteract thiers. Or he would just create something new to really throw his opponants off thier game.

But with that said, I dont think it would happen anyhow. He would just be a big action star in the movie's. More money in that....
StriderXero
5/29/08 12:15:24AM
Bruce Lee had one of the lowest recorded heart rates...........that shows me how hard he trained. As a matter of fact, if you're training in MMA ........take a look at his book. There's a reason why people still talk about him til this day........
tylerlee123
5/29/08 12:33:40PM
Bruce Lee would have been a cross breed between Machida and Cung Le and would of murdered until Chuck Norris made his debut
bigbubbano23
5/29/08 1:21:34PM
if it was against people in his own era then he would dominate. it is not fair to place him against people who have learned from him or others who didn't exist at his time. if he was born in the 1980's and had the same determination then i think he would be great.

so don't you haters be dissin the most inspirational martial artist of all time!!!
Raykill
5/29/08 3:37:17PM

Posted by tylerlee123

Bruce Lee would have been a cross breed between Machida and Cung Le and would of murdered until Chuck Norris made his debut

Uh, no. He would kick his ass like he did in the movie Way of the Dragon.

Here is a intresting list.

Physical feats
Lee's phenomenal fitness meant he was capable of performing many exceptional physical feats.[47][48][49][50] The following list includes some of the physical feats that are documented and supported by reliable sources.

Lee's striking speed from three feet with his hands down by his side reached five hundredths of a second.[51]
Lee could spring a 235 lb (107 kg) opponent 15 feet (4.6 metres) away with a 1 inch punch.[50]
Lee's combat movements were at times too fast to be captured on film at 24fps, so many scenes were shot in 32fps to put Lee in slow motion. Normally martial arts films are sped up.[52][53][54]
In a speed demonstration, Lee could snatch a dime off a person's open palm before they could close it, and leave a penny behind.[55]
Lee could perform push ups using only his thumbs[43][50]
Lee would hold an elevated v-sit position for 30 minutes or longer.[49]
Lee could throw grains of rice up into the air and then catch them in mid-flight using chopsticks.[43]
Lee performed one-hand push-ups using only the thumb and index finger[50][56][43][50]
Lee performed 50 reps of one-arm chin-ups.[57]
From a standing position, Lee could hold a 125 lb (57 kg) barbell straight out.[49][43]
Lee could break wooden boards 6 inches (15 cm) thick.[58]
Lee performed a side kick while training with James Coburn and broke a 150-lb (68 kg) punching bag[49][59]
Lee could cause a 300-lb (136 kg) bag to fly towards and thump the ceiling with a side kick.[50]
In a move that has been dubbed "Dragon Flag", Lee could perform leg lifts with only his shoulder blades resting on the edge of a bench and suspend his legs and torso perfectly horizontal midair.[60]
Lee could thrust his fingers through unopened steel cans of Coca-Cola, at a time before cans were made of the softer aluminum metal.[61]
Lee could use one finger to leave dramatic indentations on pine wood.[61
mrsmiley
5/29/08 8:18:41PM

Posted by bigbubbano23

if it was against people in his own era then he would dominate. it is not fair to place him against people who have learned from him or others who didn't exist at his time. if he was born in the 1980's and had the same determination then i think he would be great.

so don't you haters be dissin the most inspirational martial artist of all time!!!

Depends who was competing.I think their were plenty of guys from Lee's era who could have taken him,they were just overshadowed by his movie stardum.
bigbubbano23
5/29/08 9:05:01PM
I am not saying he would go undefeated, just that he was one of the best of his time
mrsmiley
5/30/08 6:48:28AM

Posted by bigbubbano23

I am not saying he would go undefeated, just that he was one of the best of his time

Yeah I agree.For his physical power and speed and for his time,he would have been great.