Brown/Sell

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Brown/Sell
POLL: How many times should the fight have been stopped before it was stopped???
0 the fight was stopped correctly at the right time. 15% (9)
1 24% (14)
2 32% (19)
i counted 3 times 19% (11)
4 2% (1)
5 or more that was ridonkulaus 8% (5)
tmas
3/8/09 11:50:45AM
Once agian Sell proved to be highly overrated....

that was funny though i thought the fight was getting stopped about 5 times before the fight was actually stopped.

What do you all think how many times was the fight over before it was over?
cmb19932
3/8/09 11:54:10AM
it was a late stopage thats bad but it happens it shouldnt in a perfect world but it does so move on if you were a ref you would do 100x worse also i dont think sell is over rated i dont hear anyone preaching about his greatness i think hes good but not good enough to be overrated if that makes sense
tmas
3/8/09 12:05:39PM
no he isnt good at all look at his record thats my point he is waaaay ored.

Yea being a ref is def hard i am a fighter, and have been to many many / helped with many fights. It happens all the time either late, or early or whateve its not a perfect world......everyone understands that.

My point was it was one of the funniest screwups in a while, it made the fight a little bit of a "freak show" for lack of better words. it was like a joke :(
dannyfrank
3/8/09 12:33:49PM
i personally dont think there is anything funny about a late stoppage. especially when it forces the other fighter to keep hitting him even though he knows that the fight is basically over

whatever though, what are ya gonna do?

mentalcase
3/8/09 12:36:58PM
this fight was great

the ref did a good job he jumped in almost stoped it saw sell was still in it and said continue

sell was basically out on his feet and brown was like "are u gonna stop this" then the ref finaly stoped it

id rather a fight be stoped late then early
nickcuc547
3/8/09 12:54:59PM
honestly i thought the fight was stopped at the right time, what was awful and ridiculous was when the ref jumped in when sell was first dropped, i think brown would have ended it there but when the ref jumped in that stoppage would have been horrible, i think he realized it and changed his mind in the middle, terrible mistake by the ref there. But what happened after that I think he stopped it at the right time.
rcg916
3/8/09 1:01:14PM

Posted by tmas

Records are a bit misleading. To say Sell isn't good at all is going a bit far IMO. He's a black belt under a highly respected teacher, and has solid boxing skills.

If anything, Sell's biggest drawback is himself-- the guy wants to bang with EVERYBODY. While that makes for exciting fights, it also makes great situations for his opponents, especially a guy like Matt Brown, who hits like a truck, and enjoys a toe to toe scrap. Standing in front of that guy is like begging to get caught.

If Sell took him down and work JJ, I think he wins that fight. Again, his tough guy mentality got the best of him.

Just my thoughts... I do like the Serra-Longo guys though, so I may be a bit impartial.
JBatch
3/8/09 1:04:05PM
I did not like how the ref jumped in and then changed his mind. I thought it was going to be stopped when Brown was teeing off on Sell's head on the ground. Sell has a deceptive autopilot because I thought he was alright until he just fell over and was out of it.

Good stoppage I don't like the second geussing though.
mentalcase
3/8/09 1:07:29PM

Posted by rcg916

Posted by tmas

Records are a bit misleading. To say Sell isn't good at all is going a bit far IMO. He's a black belt under a highly respected teacher, and has solid boxing skills.

If anything, Sell's biggest drawback is himself-- the guy wants to bang with EVERYBODY. While that makes for exciting fights, it also makes great situations for his opponents, especially a guy like Matt Brown, who hits like a truck, and enjoys a toe to toe scrap. Standing in front of that guy is like begging to get caught.

If Sell took him down and work JJ, I think he wins that fight. Again, his tough guy mentality got the best of him.

Just my thoughts... I do like the Serra-Longo guys though, so I may be a bit impartial.

sell may be bjj black belt but he showed zero bjj skilles agains lutter got detroyed twice by quarry and quarry was subbed in like 2 mins from a "real" bjj black belt in maia

if sell had any bjj he would impose it on quarry

sell aint good at anything

his only notable win is baroni
rc_kobra
3/8/09 1:35:55PM
it was a just stoppage the first one would have been early. I would rater see a late than an early stoppage
Darnok
3/8/09 1:43:34PM
I think the ref was letting it go because Sell kept smiling.
tmas
3/8/09 2:53:53PM
When i said look at the record i didnt mean the # 8-5 i meant that, who he has fought, who he has beat, and who he has lossed too. .....

As that smart fella said up there Phil Baroni is his only good win, and when you really think about it Baroni is a big name, he isnt actally all that good. Josh Burkman is the only win he has where the guy he fought has 3 more wins then losses. Burkman has 10, Baroni 3, and the rest have either losing records or are near even. I like Pete Sell i thought this guy had great potential but he hasnt lived up to it yet....

Aaronno9
3/8/09 3:07:35PM
Should of been stopped earlier. Sell was out on his feet. Even when the ref let him up he was falling all over the place and just eating shot after shot, then he gets knocked down again and the ref still doesnt stop it despite Brown just standing not doing anything and Sell not regaining any composure in that time.

In the press conference Dana said he was still worried about Sells condition, so he could have a serious problem becouse of the ref not stopping it.
tmas
3/8/09 3:17:54PM
honsetly as soon as the fight started and they started moving around i thought Sell was injured he didnt look right at all the whole time
dannyfrank
3/8/09 3:35:52PM
i dont understand how people can honestly say they would rather a fight be stopped late.

if a fight is stopped early, worst case senario is that the fighter gets a loss on his record and may have to find another org to fight it

if a fight is stopped late, worst case senario is that the fighter is seriously injured to the point where his career is over for good

think about it people
Wolfenstein
3/8/09 3:39:57PM

Posted by dannyfrank

i dont understand how people can honestly say they would rather a fight be stopped late.

if a fight is stopped early, worst case senario is that the fighter gets a loss on his record and may have to find another org to fight it

if a fight is stopped late, worst case senario is that the fighter is seriously injured to the point where his career is over for good

think about it people

I guess I think more from the fighter's perspective, and I think every single fighter would tell you that he would rather have a fight stopped late, than a fight stopped early.
dannyfrank
3/8/09 3:44:56PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Posted by dannyfrank

think about it people

I guess I think more from the fighter's perspective, and I think every single fighter would tell you that he would rather have a fight stopped late, than a fight stopped early.

i understand that the fighters themselves would probably rather have the fight stopped late. but it really doesnt matter. if your friend decides he wants to stick an m-80 up his poop shoot, are you gonna let him, or tell him its a bad idea and risk him being mad at you?

i realize that that was a very strange analogy and fully understand if not everyone realizes what this have to do with the topic
SociopathX
3/8/09 3:48:54PM
i think it was nice to watch someone get beat down like that. Matt Brown is a warrior.
higdon10
3/8/09 3:58:22PM
I was cool with the stoppage. Matt Brown is a beast. He keeps on impressing.
Tein_Lung
3/8/09 4:00:16PM

Posted by dannyfrank

think about it people

exactly the only people who say they rather have a fight stoped late are one of two things

1. Not a fighter
2. On the bad end of a early stop that night, but gets over it and moves on because the fight was stoped early instead of late (which could mean worse injury)
rcg916
3/8/09 6:12:04PM

Posted by mentalcase

... got detroyed twice by quarry...

You may want to rewatch Sell-Quarry II, Pete was tooling him until he got caught...

Regardless, it looks like we have conflicting opinions, and thats okay by me.
haggiswashere
3/8/09 6:19:25PM
nevermind
slapshot
3/9/09 3:02:49AM

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by rcg916

Posted by tmas

sell may be bjj black belt but he showed zero bjj skilles agains lutter got detroyed twice by quarry and quarry was subbed in like 2 mins from a "real" bjj black belt in maia

if sell had any bjj he would impose it on quarry

sell aint good at anything

his only notable win is baroni

Lutter is a superior bjj guy to 95% of the fighters in the UFC so he is a bad example and so is maia, sells bjj is very good but the two guys you are comparing him to have elite BJJ.

You must think Nick Daiz has absolutely horrid BJJ then because he never uses it? Its been proven that sub par for the UFC in his weight class is title contender in any of the other organizations that was or still is around.

To be overrated a majority of fans or annalist's have to rate you.....

Sell should probably have been in the WEC, He could have done well there,I think he will be cut. Your right that he he doesn't belong in the UFC but that doesn't mean he sucks, that just shows how deep the talent pool is in his weight class.
EvenFlow
3/9/09 3:18:37AM
I counted 2, both times Sell was dropped, the first especially since Yves grabbed Matt.
cowcatcher
3/9/09 10:24:38AM
i think yves was trying to do the right thing because he saw that drago looked ok after the first knockdown, he just stepped in a bit too quick. at some point after that i was like "jesus frenchy stop the damn fight!", sell ate a ton of shots. brown is hard not to like, he was very gracious even when sell interrupted his post fight interview. add brown to the very short list of guys helped the most by appearing on TUF, he has been spectacular since the show ended.
bls1919
3/9/09 5:12:21PM
The second knock down Yves should have stepped in. But shite happens. I saw Lavinge almost do this in the fight between, Paul Talyor and Marcus Davis. Taylor had Davis on his back in a bad way, yves stepped half way in and looked like he was going to stop it and didnt. Davis regained composure and came back to win via arm bar i think.
Hendo67
3/10/09 2:03:27PM
The stoppage was definitely late, Brown had him clocked so many times...He could barely stand up. I don't so much blame Yves for the late stoppage, i do however blame him for that little jump in he did as Sell hit the mat, you need to be consistent as a UFC ref, which is something they're lacking.

Also, where were Sells corner men on this? the should have known Sell was out, do they not throw in towels these days?
cowcatcher
3/10/09 2:05:45PM
sell needed serra in his corner to remind him "youre breathin' " it would have made all the difference in the world.
fullerene
3/10/09 3:04:17PM
Tough to stop a fight when a guy is on his feet or getting back up to his feet. As much as people are complaining now, you would have heard as many complaints if the fight had been stopped before the last knockdown.

The referee's guidance is to stop the fight when a guy isn't intelligently defending himself. If a guy is moving away from the attacks on his feet or scrambling to get back to his feet then that is usually considered defending yourself.

Sell could have tapped (or even just stopped moving around) if he didn't want to continue to fight. His corner could have thrown in the towel if they didn't want him to continue to fight. Given that they didn't do this, I think the stoppage was at the right spot, minus one of the two uncontested punches on the ground (and it's tough to move in that fast).

That being said, I would have thrown in the towel earlier if I was in his corner.