"Brown Pride" Cain's tattoo

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » "Brown Pride" Cain's tattoo
tallica62
5/26/12 11:31:45PM
A guy I work with brought up the "racist" point of his tattoo. I don't know Cain from a hole in the wall, so I'm not saying anything..but he brought up the point what if someone had a "White Power" or "Black Power" tattoo....think it would carry more/different weight?
Twenty20Dollars
5/26/12 11:35:36PM
White power, yes.

the word power being different from pride
sparky
5/26/12 11:35:45PM
His Tattoo says Brown Pride not Brown Power I believe they come across differently
Chael_Sonnen
5/26/12 11:35:50PM
Somebody needs reading lessons.....read The Voice of Reason.....anyways......

How 'bout a Chael P. Sonnen tatted across your chest? You would be labeled a GENIUS
tallica62
5/27/12 12:03:29AM
true...so what if it were "White Pride" or "Black Pride"?...just playing devils advocate
sbulldavid
5/27/12 12:13:40AM
I always wonder about that too. What is the difference, I think it's got more to do with historical significance. There never was a period of brown pride hate crimes or terrorism
jae_1833
5/27/12 12:13:59AM
It comes down to being socially acceptable to anyone other than.....I will leave that part out. However the only connection to that tat that would be viewed as socially unnaceptable would be if he was actually in the gang by that name. The nazi/skinhead movement took the words "white pride" and put a horribly unnacceptable content connected with it. Just the way the world is, be proud of who you are without being a dick is the golden rule really.
Chael_Sonnen
5/27/12 12:18:29AM
Andy should get 'Yellow Pride' across his spine.
Twenty20Dollars
5/27/12 12:25:29AM
White pride, there would still be problems. It would be almost linked to white power, just a different second word, people would still perceive it as a possibly racist thing.

Not really with black pride or as much.
Aether
5/27/12 1:07:31AM

Posted by tallica62

true...so what if it were "White Pride" or "Black Pride"?...just playing devils advocate

Well, I don't think anyone would get upset about "Black Pride" and the only real reason that people would get upset about "White Pride" is because it was used by major racist organizations responsible for a lot of hate crimes.

It seems like a double standard, but I don't think that it is, because of the history attached to the phrases "White Pride" and "White Power"
prozacnation1978
5/27/12 2:19:50AM
Intersting point
thevoodooninja
5/27/12 9:01:04AM
i dont feel theres anything rasist about a tattoo saying "_____ pride". what would make it rasist would be what comes out of the persons mouth. if cain would say some of the stuff that comes out of king mo's mouth, you might have a case about that tattoo being some kind of rasist marking but thats not the case.
pmoney
5/27/12 1:44:46PM
I'm reminded of a saying. "Pride only hurts"
Budgellism
5/27/12 6:43:43PM
Hes proud of where he's from. Its as simple as that to me. To consider it racist is crazy to me.
Pookie
5/27/12 7:09:14PM
Nothing is anything without context.

Franklinfan47
5/27/12 8:07:39PM

Posted by Budgellism

Hes proud of where he's from. Its as simple as that to me. To consider it racist is crazy to me.

I agree. But at the same time, it makes you think about how our society perceives racism and political correctness. If someone did have black or white pride, I gaurantee there would be a huge media frenzy over it.
warglory
5/28/12 12:57:32AM

Posted by Budgellism

But it is based on race. He didn't say Mexican pride, he said brown pride. I don't know if it qualifies as racist, since he isn't really judging other races based on his pride, but as has already been stated, it does expose preset notions of what is acceptable for minorities vs caucasians.
hippysmacker
5/28/12 9:40:02PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by Budgellism

But it is based on race. He didn't say Mexican pride, he said brown pride. I don't know if it qualifies as racist, since he isn't really judging other races based on his pride, but as has already been stated, it does expose preset notions of what is acceptable for minorities vs caucasians.

Exactly. It is racist in my book ,and its's a double standard that no one in the media calls him out about , which it pisses me off. I was watching the fights at Buffallo wild wings when he fought Lesnar,.and there was a large hispanic contingent there getting all riled up and talking crap in spanish, even though you could hear them talking in English at other times . The manager spoke spanish and made some guys leave when they called him a bunch of stuff they didn't think he could understand. It almost deteriorated to bunch of people fighting because one guy refused to leave and PD had to be called. When that guy finally left he gave everyone double middle fingers and yelled "Brown Pride maricons'" Anyway, it's divisive at the least. Even if it was Mexican Pride it would bother me. I am mostly Italian and Irish but if people ask me what I am I don't say white, Italian, or Irish. I just say American . Not : Italian American" ,or " Irish American. Just plain old American. All these little designations just seem to divide people in my opinion. America;s not perfect but too much bad and divisive stuff seems to happen under the guise of diversity the way I see it. As far as I;m concerned he should be proud of where he is. Also he was born in California ,so he is from America.
thevoodooninja
5/29/12 5:54:41PM
i watched a episode of gangland awhile back and in Tennessee there's a gang called brown pride. maybe hes a gang member
prophecy033
5/29/12 6:18:57PM
I don't have a problem with it but like all us with tats, by putting it on his body, he's the one that takes the heat from others who have a problem with it
mrsmiley
5/29/12 8:00:22PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by warglory

Posted by Budgellism

Exactly. It is racist in my book ,and its's a double standard that no one in the media calls him out about , which it pisses me off. I was watching the fights at Buffallo wild wings when he fought Lesnar,.and there was a large hispanic contingent there getting all riled up and talking crap in spanish, even though you could hear them talking in English at other times . The manager spoke spanish and made some guys leave when they called him a bunch of stuff they didn't think he could understand. It almost deteriorated to bunch of people fighting because one guy refused to leave and PD had to be called. When that guy finally left he gave everyone double middle fingers and yelled "Brown Pride maricons'" Anyway, it's divisive at the least. Even if it was Mexican Pride it would bother me. I am mostly Italian and Irish but if people ask me what I am I don't say white, Italian, or Irish. I just say American . Not : Italian American" ,or " Irish American. Just plain old American. All these little designations just seem to divide people in my opinion. America;s not perfect but too much bad and divisive stuff seems to happen under the guise of diversity the way I see it. As far as I;m concerned he should be proud of where he is. Also he was born in California ,so he is from America.

I agree completly. I like Cain and he seems like a great guy but I think these constant divisions well,only divide us more. Their is a lot of bad association with white pride and such but if you look you'll find it else where too among other ethnic backgrounds. I love Morgan Freemans take on this as well.
BuffaloDave
5/30/12 11:51:47AM

Posted by sbulldavid

I always wonder about that too. What is the difference, I think it's got more to do with historical significance. There never was a period of brown pride hate crimes or terrorism

Although I agree with you on Cain's tattoo doesn't have a negative meaning, I'd say the Mexican Cartels are full of terrorism, I would bet that they conduct more acts of terrorism on a daily basis, than al-Qaeda does in a month.

I'm sure he thought of putting Mexican pride, but the extra two letters (an) would mess with the flow of the tat across his chest.
Pookie
5/30/12 12:09:32PM
It's what he means by it that matters.
Boo_Radley21
5/30/12 3:31:00PM
Hahaha yea White Pride sounds worse for some reason. Maybe its the history of what my people have done