Brock and the Top Ten HW's

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Brock and the Top Ten HW's
The_Italian_Stallion
11/13/08 4:36:21PM
Where do you guys have Brock in your rankings? I don't know where to put him, four or five seems to high but he is getting a shot...

Also where will he be if he beats Randy, definitely not one but two or three? I just don't know where to put this guy...
emfleek
11/13/08 4:39:33PM
Though I could be wrong, I can't force myself to rank the guy in the Top 10. I need to see more. If he beats Randy, I'll put him somewhere in the 3-5 range.
grappler0000
11/13/08 4:40:54PM
IMO he shouldn't be ranked yet. I think he could beat a number of the top 10's out there, but he hasn't yet. If he beats Handy, I have no problem ranking him, but how he does in the fight will most likely influence where I put him.
emfleek
11/13/08 4:45:12PM

Posted by grappler0000

IMO he shouldn't be ranked yet. I think he could beat a number of the top 10's out there, but he hasn't yet. If he beats Handy, I have no problem ranking him, but how he does in the fight will most likely influence where I put him.

Yep. Props deserved but I have to "spread the love"...
wiggum
11/13/08 4:45:36PM
hes without a doubt not top 10...yet....nobody has ever said hes the number 1 contender for the belt, most agree he got the shot to put on a major pay per view event....wouldnt be the first time ya know....right now, pre-couture fight, i would say he is in the 15-20 range but no higher....if he beats couture, and depending in what fashion, i would say hes top 5-10.......if he takes couture to a decision win without controversy then 9/10...if he stops him without controversery then i would say 5/6
Wolfenstein
11/13/08 4:59:14PM
He's not top ten yet, because he only has two wins, one over a top 20, and another over a guy outside the top 100. He also has a loss to a fringe top ten fighter (Mir).

No one doubts his potential, but no one was rocketing Jake O' Brien up to he top ten rankings after he beat Heath Herring either. I would probably rank him right around where O'Brien is now, somewhere in the 30's or high 20's.

If he beats Couture then I'll probably rank him in the top ten, around 7-10. A few guys will still be ahead of him because of their track record, and because of Brock's loss to Frank Mir. The guys ahead of him will probably be Noguiera, Fedor, Barnett, Arlovski, Aleksander Emilanenko, Tim Sylvia, and possibly Sergei Khartinov. If he beats Randy, and then beats Noguiera or Mir he'll definetely be in the top 5.
gsquat
11/13/08 5:51:41PM
Though I've got him beating Randy, he shouldn't be ranked top ten yet. If he beats Randy, I'll put him like 6 or 7. In four career fights, beating two top contenders, and losing to one former champ merits a top ten. Gotta respect him for coming straight in and not spending the first part of career fighting cans.

Wolf: I can't stop watching Coleman getting kicked in the face.
Cdellorso
11/13/08 6:21:40PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by grappler0000

Yep. Props deserved but I have to "spread the love"...

Ill do it Im a prop whore anyway!!
Cdellorso
11/13/08 6:29:03PM
Does anyone else think G-squats avatar look like Surgar has a fro?? I double take every post he make sweet sugar fro boy!!

I think Brock would beat Aleks- Thats a fight Id love to see for sure-

Brock beats Mir in a rematch-

Brock Beats Werdum-

Brock Might beAT AA-

Barnetts a good matchup too Barnett wins today - but Brocks keeps getting better - like him or hate him Brock has the chance at being Champ and holding it for a while......

Aaronno9
11/13/08 6:37:51PM
If he beats Randy i still wont rank him in my top 10. One more solid win after that and ill find a place for him.
higdon10
11/13/08 7:44:47PM
He isn't top 10 yet, but a win on Saturday can put him somewher around 6-10.
imanidiot777
11/13/08 7:44:56PM
I think I may have put him at 10 now but I'm not sure why I did that now that I think about it. If he beats Randy he will be top 5 on mine, there is no way I can let Tim Sylvia be ahead of him, he would kill Sylvia.
postman
11/13/08 8:08:35PM
I guess if he beats Randy you have to put him in the top 10 but I think he would lose to Fedor, Big Nog, Mir, Werdum, GG, Barnett, Overeem, AA, Jeff Monson, and I think Randy will beat him. I think Tim Sylvia , Kongo and If Mirko got back to his "old self" could all avoid the TD and box his head off.
Kracker_Jap
11/13/08 8:14:52PM
I have Brock ranked at 6th just on hype alone......

If he beats Randy I'd move him up to 3rd..........

Thats just my opinion
copcopps
11/13/08 8:24:00PM
I refuse to rank him in the top 10 even if he beats Randy, he's the Matt Serra of the HQW division.

1 win over 1 top guy does NOT equal instant top 10 status.
Franklinfan47
11/13/08 9:07:13PM
Ya like others have said, I don't have him in my top 10 at all right now. Which says alot for the opportunity he's been given.
Gipper
11/13/08 10:41:29PM
don't have him in the top 10.

#13-15
slapshot
11/14/08 3:14:42AM
Ill give him top ten in the UFC easy but in the world? It would be hard to rank him top 10 even with a win over randy I mean 2 out of 3 fights just wont be enough IMO.
Cdellorso
11/14/08 5:00:33PM
OK I cant let it go- NO way can Monson beAT bROCK-
ncordless
11/14/08 5:07:36PM
We will see after this Saturday. If he wins he is definitely somewhere between 3-5.
jiujitsufreak74
11/14/08 6:35:29PM
depends how you do your rankings. i personally rank fighters based on who i feel is the most talented in terms of who i think is the best fighter in the division. using that logic, i rank Brock in my top 10 because i feel he can beat most HWs at this point. now, i don't do it purely based off of this logic, otherwise i would have Brock at number three, usually i do go by the system where you have to prove it with victories. it's a complicated system with a lot of opinion mixed in with cold hard statistics, and the degree in which i rely on opinion or statistic varies situationally. this is why debating rankings gets you absolutely nowhere because it is all subjective.
prozacnation1978
11/15/08 2:14:04AM
he is in my top 10 but not even close to top 5 in ufc only
Ben_Hutch
11/16/08 1:23:09AM
Haha how's everyone's top 10's looking now then?
Wolfenstein
11/16/08 2:47:02AM
I can't rank him much higher until he gets another win under his belt. Evenetually if Brock were to theoretically keep winning we'd face the inevitable roadblock that is Fedor at #1.

My Heavyweight Top 10 Rankings
1 Fedor Emelianenko

2 Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

3 Andrei Arlovski

4 Josh Barnett

5 Aleksander Emelianenko

6 Gabriel Gonzaga

7 Brock Lesnar

8 Randy Couture

9 Alistair Overeem

10 Sergei Kharitonov
mentalcase
11/16/08 2:50:41AM
how the hell do u rank the top 10 hw now??
mentalcase
11/16/08 2:54:19AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I can't rank him much higher until he gets another win under his belt. Evenetually if Brock were to theoretically keep winning we'd face the inevitable roadblock that is Fedor at #1.

My Heavyweight Top 10 Rankings
1 Fedor Emelianenko

2 Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

3 Andrei Arlovski

4 Josh Barnett

5 Aleksander Emelianenko

6 Gabriel Gonzaga

7 Brock Lesnar

8 Randy Couture

9 Alistair Overeem

10 Sergei Kharitonov

um youv got gonzo at #6 he lost to werdum this year and randy last year- just cause he beat 2 cans you put him up at #6?

you dont even have werdum ranked
Wolfenstein
11/16/08 3:02:48AM
Admittedly I'm a little biased, but give me a break I train at Team Link. Im ranking a little based on potential as well...as I believe Gabriel is the most talented HW in the division. Actually it's really not that far out there as FightMatrix has Gariel ranked 7th prior to his most recent win.

Maybe I should rank Werdum, but his recent loss was to a guy pretty far below the top ten, so it's to be expected his stock is going to plummet.

I could call into question your ranking Frank Mir at #7, when most sites don't even have him in the top ten. You also don't have anyone aside from Fedor that hasn't been in the UFC.