Is it Brock showboated or is it that he won???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Is it Brock showboated or is it that he won???
Kracker_Jap
8/10/08 6:11:36PM
I have spent the day reading post on this site and others about how pissed people are that Brock "the shark slammer" Lesnar showboated at the end of his fight dominating Heath Herring.....

IMO there was alot of shit talk before the fight by both fighters, not to mention by the die hard MMA community saying Brock did not belong in fights at this caliber

But was there a uproar about Diaz when he flipped of the cammera???

Or how about one of the biggest draws in MMA Tito always acting a fool when he wins??

Better yet was everybody pissed when Tito talked trash (like Herring did) and Randy spanked his ass at the end of the fight??

So I ask is Lesnar getting flamed because his record is 1-1 and he fights in main events with no amature record???
RMFG_187
8/10/08 6:18:21PM
I thought he did have an amateur record...

but any how. put urself in his shoes. He was at the Top of his game in Pro wrestling, and left without any notice, so he could become a real fighter. His last fight he talked alot, and almost stopped Mir. but got caught. This time around, Heath was talking more than he was. and Lesnar out worked him, and demolished him in a 30-26 victory.

I use to have little or no respect for him because he thought he could walk in and become UFC champ easily. But now, Hes up there on my list of HW's

give him a bit of time, and he can own Nog. yeah i said it, OWN Nog.

Lesnar now deserves some respect, dispite the showboating at the end. He is now a REAL Fighter, and a great one at that.

WAR LESNAR.

BTW, you can look at my posts 6 months ago when I talked shit all day about Lesnar, now I cant do it, the guy impressed me way to much. He beat Herring worse than GSP did Fitch. and Herring has been around the block and back.
Jackelope
8/10/08 6:37:54PM
I'm one of the people displeased with his showboating antics in the fight. Coincidentally, I'm also one of the people that dislikes Nate Diaz, Nick Diaz, and Tito Ortiz for the way they treat their opponents. So the argument doesn't really apply to me.

As for when Randy spanked Tito's ass I believe it was warranted and done in good fun. There are certain lines that can be crossed and then there are those that can't be crossed. Nick and Nate with their water bottle throwing antics is a line you cannot cross. Tony Bonnello's outright disrespect of Murilo Rua is also an example of a line being crossed.

Josh Barnett doing the throat slice after the final bell has rung or the fight is called are fine. Riding your opponent like a horse while the clock is still running is a different story to me. Of course it's up for debate, though.

Aether
8/10/08 6:39:06PM
uhhh no it's definitely because he was a disrespectful clown and that's not what the sport is about. Tito and Nick Diaz get criticized for their antics all of the time so I don't see how you use them as examples. Brock acted like an idiot and there really wasn't very much smack talk at all before this fight.

It has absolutely nothing to do with his record or whatever other nonsense. I was one of the people defending his potential ability when everyone was trashing him so that clearly couldn't be my reasoning for being disgusted with his behaviour.

I also like how he started by throwing an imaginary lasso and then somehow it transformed into an imaginary fishing pole halfway through the taunt.
CwB
8/10/08 6:42:30PM
I thought it was completely disrespectful... It seemed to me that he still might have a little WWE mentality left in him. Asking the crowd to cheer louder while he has herrings back, riding him like a bull, and his post fight antics...

when randy spanked tito randy was a former champ fighting a fighter who has constantly talked trash about everything and everyone and randy himself is known for being a very respectful fighter.

And far as diaz goes i hate how much trash he talks...

So for me it was definitely his showboating...

Mr_Dead_Sexy
8/10/08 6:57:32PM
I'm not a fan of either of the Diaz brother, or Tito. All are skilled fighters, but completely classless, and known as much for their antics as their fighting. That's not what this sport is about. I wasn't a fan of Brock much last night either, but I'm willing to give him a pass. Herring is a very quality win, and it was his first win on the big stage. You can't tell him to act like he's been there before because frankly, he hasn't. So long as he doesn't do it anymore, I'm more than willing to give him a pass.
nickcuc547
8/10/08 7:00:22PM
i would have showboated if i were brock too, what was herring going to do, kick his ass?
BlueSkiesBurn
8/10/08 7:01:00PM
No more disrespectful than Kongo saying "It doesn't matter, I waste my time" Just get the man a damn French interpreter. Hell I'll do it! Anyhow, yes. Way unwarranted for anyone.
bls1919
8/10/08 7:22:19PM
The only thing i have a problem with is that he started showboating/celebrating before the fight was over. After the horn sounds do whatever, but until then dont quit to celebrate, even if you did just smash the sh#t out of your oponent. I actually liked the whole laso routine.
jocka
8/10/08 7:33:34PM
It was disrespectful for sure but hey when you have that adrenaline rush plus all these people (including me) saying that your only chance to win is to do it in the first rd cause you'll gaz out i would probably show boat at bit as well.

One thing is for sure, except the fact that i lost money on that fight, i do respect Lesnar now and wow his right hand looks powerful damn
Rush
8/10/08 8:10:18PM
Showboating? I don't think so. Brock looked like he was being more patient and careful with his fighting. He was fighting (as I put it earlier) like an inexperienced freight train. There were times were I was certain that he wasn't sure what to do.

As for respect. He held his glove up to tap with Heath and Heath rejected him (before 3rd round).

I have seem much worse "showboating" from many other coveted fighters in the UFC than what I saw last night.

Until Brock gets another year or two under his belt, expect his fights to look like last nights, unless he knocks them flat out standing up.
Kracker_Jap
8/10/08 8:21:29PM

Posted by Rush

As for respect. He held his glove up to tap with Heath and Heath rejected him (before 3rd round).

I have seem much worse "showboating" from many other coveted fighters in the UFC than what I saw last night.

I forgot all about that.....

But great point

I got the feeling that Herring thought he was way above Brocks level and wasn't all to happy about the fight in the first place....

Let alon to find himself in the 3rd round losing badly..... Remember his corners message when he was leaving for that round " your more experienced now go out there and show him" or somthin close to that

the point is even his corner was playin the better than your role...

I will like to here what comes out of the Herring camp, Has anyone found an interview yet???
voodoo-jitsu
8/10/08 8:23:33PM
i could have done without him riding heath with a few seconds let of the fight it was too tito ortiz-ish for me but the laso act i didnt mind
if i was brocks trainer i would have him stand with people i dont think very many people could hang with his stand up only go for the take down if he gets in trouble im positive noone can out wrestle him if he learns subs and sub def. it will be over he could be the most dominate thing in mma
Franklinfan47
8/10/08 8:39:26PM
It was a bit much for someone with only 3 pro fights imo. He would of looked a lot better if he had been a gracious winner.
mrsmiley
8/10/08 8:39:58PM
I actualy loved at the beginning of the third round when Brock was looking across the octagon and smiling at Herring.Wonder what Heath would have thought if Brock blew him a kiss?
Californiastrangler
8/10/08 8:41:58PM

Posted by Jackelope

I'm one of the people displeased with his showboating antics in the fight. Coincidentally, I'm also one of the people that dislikes Nate Diaz, Nick Diaz, and Tito Ortiz for the way they treat their opponents. So the argument doesn't really apply to me.

As for when Randy spanked Tito's ass I believe it was warranted and done in good fun. There are certain lines that can be crossed and then there are those that can't be crossed.

And here-in lies the problem. Who gets to draw the line? If you can allow Randy to spank Tito in the middle of a fight and say it is ok because you've decided it was in good fun but when Brock does something very similiar he's out of line then you are a hipocrite plain and simple. What Brock did was funny, what Nick Diaz and Nate Diaz have done has been funny, when Randy spanked Tito it was funny, when Rich Clementi rubbed his crotch on Melvin Guillards head it was funny, and Tito Ortiz isn't always funny but hes almost always entertaining. What my advice to you would be is to take the stick out of your ass and relax a little bit, you'll enjoy MMA and life a lot more.
jawbreaker517
8/10/08 9:37:03PM
Lesnar not only showboated alot at the end of the fight, but thought it was even more disrespectful when he pushed Heath at the end of the fist round. As a company trying to come up, Dana needs to realize that he doesn't need fighters with this kind of personality. In a nutshell, I think Lesnar is a bully and I don't like him.
loonytnt
8/10/08 9:38:36PM
brock did a li but im sure hh would have to
Jackelope
8/10/08 9:55:44PM

Posted by Californiastrangler

Posted by Jackelope

As for when Randy spanked Tito's ass I believe it was warranted and done in good fun. There are certain lines that can be crossed and then there are those that can't be crossed.

And here-in lies the problem. Who gets to draw the line? If you can allow Randy to spank Tito in the middle of a fight and say it is ok because you've decided it was in good fun but when Brock does something very similiar he's out of line then you are a hipocrite plain and simple. What Brock did was funny, what Nick Diaz and Nate Diaz have done has been funny, when Randy spanked Tito it was funny, when Rich Clementi rubbed his crotch on Melvin Guillards head it was funny, and Tito Ortiz isn't always funny but hes almost always entertaining. What my advice to you would be is to take the stick out of your ass and relax a little bit, you'll enjoy MMA and life a lot more.

Wow, towards the beginning of your post I had thought "Hmm, I'll give this guy props for bringing forward a clear argument" and then you spiralled into

Stick out of my ass? Me enjoying MMA more or life more? How would you know anything about how much I enjoy life or MMA? Really, man.. that's just uncalled for. You could leave just the first couple sentences and come across as a well spoken dude.

As for disrespect being funny I suppose it may be to some. However, when you're a professional athlete acting as the face of a sport and representing yourself and your camp out there I find it disrespectful. I say this as a mixed martial artist myself. Randy slapping Tito's ass was funny because Tito had disrespected the hell out of Randy and many other fighters leading into their fight. Randy was always respectful and played the role of the father figure. When Jason Miller gave the peace sign while in full mount at DREAM 3 it was funny.

When Nick and Nate Diaz assault people's parents in the cage and throw water bottles at people during weigh ins it's not funny.

I'll give it to you that the line being drawn by one person vs. another is a problem. That argument goes all the way back to Aristotle saying "What is piety?" So in that you are correct. However, I think it's pretty clear cut disrespectful when you're sticking your junk in someone's face and when you're punching someone's dad in the cage. Try and be civilized.
Cdellorso
8/10/08 10:09:52PM
Voodoo ninja- great point- let me add 2 it-

At 1st I was like "thats bs" show some class and i still wish he had not done it but then i thought of a few things that could allow me to not get too upset.

1. LOTS of haters saying hes a joke- His picture on this site is still showing him pressing a shark.

2. It was his home crowd and he wanted to end the show with something good- A "finish" would have been good but since he could not.... He decided to ride a "crazy horse" just like Randy spanked a "Bad Boy" its the same......

3. Herring was talking more sh*iTz then he was pre fight hype .... I felt Brock has been pretty classy and definately taking his mma career (yes i said career) seriously.

4. Herring did not want to touch gloves in rd 3 ( It was obviously lot a fun fight for him the 1st 2 rounds)

5. He still has a little wwe left in him (which I hope he gets rid of)

Its scary to think how much room for improvement there is for Brock

Had Brock been just a TINY bit more controlled-
can you honestly say that Mir could have with stood the same level of beatting he was getting in that 1st 30 seconds?? I think not his chin is not as good as heaths. If Brock wins that fight - maybe he gets Herring anyway and hes 3-0 then what.

Last but not least JAW BREAKER- I think the current Heavyweight division needs a "BULLY"

SociopathX
8/10/08 10:13:07PM
I love Lesnar, and think it makes each fighter unique that some are great sports, some are not, some showboat more or talk trash etc... it makes it more interesting.

Lesnar is awesome, I hope they give him a good matchup for his next fight. I think he has the skils to become champion if he just works at his submission defense.

He has more brute physical force than any hw in the UFC imo and I love his fighting style.
Cdellorso
8/10/08 10:15:52PM

Posted by Aether

I also like how he started by throwing an imaginary lasso and then somehow it transformed into an imaginary fishing pole halfway through the taunt.

Pretty sure he threw a lasso and then was wrapping the imaginary rope around his imaginary saddle handle - you dont think cowboys were strong enough to hand pull a lassowed cow or horse back in do you?

I could be wrong though-
Jackelope
8/10/08 10:37:03PM
LOL naww he definitely pulled out the fishing pole. He yanked on the line to set the hook and everything
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/11/08 12:13:35AM
Its his first legit win , in his home town , to a fighter who talked smack in prefight while he kept it classy. He was just very happy
npayant
8/11/08 1:27:16AM

Posted by Cdellorso

Posted by Aether

Pretty sure he threw a lasso and then was wrapping the imaginary rope around his imaginary saddle handle - you dont think cowboys were strong enough to hand pull a lassowed cow or horse back in do you?

I could be wrong though-

You're exactly right... I rewatched the end of the fight... and he was definitely doing a lasso motion... then after he lasso'd Heath and pulled him in, he switches and starts reeling in a fish... LOL! Pretty stupid - just looked like a jackass.

But you're right, he start the lasso routine with about 5 seconds left in the match and then continued it afterwards.

As you can tell, I have some time on my hands.
Aether
8/11/08 1:41:45AM
yeah it really looked like he was reeling in a fish there... he even held his hands and leaned back a little like you would if you were pulling in a fish. lol I dunno that's what it looked like to me.
gsquat
8/11/08 10:27:27AM
You've got to have people like that in the UFC. Otherwise it would be too boring. Brock knows how to sell. He knows how to stir things up. It definitely was showboating, and I approve!