Is Brock Lesnar turning the UFC into a joke?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Is Brock Lesnar turning the UFC into a joke?
SmileR
7/14/09 11:26:03AM
Company president Dana White tells ESPN.com that he doesn’t think so whatsoever:

“Probably the most insane thing that I have ever heard about the UFC in my life is that it’s fake…. As far as whether or not one fight makes the UFC a joke — [because of what a guy had to say after his fight] — I don’t see how that makes an entire sport a joke. The reality is that everyone knows how good Frank Mir is — he’s a former world champion who just came back from a terrible motorcycle accident. What Brock Lesnar did in the Octagon [against him] and has accomplished in the Octagon is amazing. The guy is an incredible athlete, whether he came from the WWE or not. He’s an amazing athlete. I cannot explain why he said what he said or did what he did after the fight. But I don’t think it takes away from who he is as an athlete or takes anything away from the sport of mixed martial arts…. He got caught up in the moment … and went a little nutty…. It was a great night of fights. I don’t think anybody is going to be turned off by one guy’s fight and what he said after it. He had a great fight and an amazing performance. I don’t think anybody is going to be that turned off by what one guy says after his fight and never watch mixed martial arts again.”

Link
MisterFreeze
7/14/09 12:02:30PM
Absolutely not!!! In fact, what Brock is doing is pure genius and he will make a shitload of money because of it.
scoozna
7/14/09 12:05:45PM
I didn't read the whole article 'cause mmamania is blocked here at work...

I mostly agree. A whole lot of stupid things, classless things, have been said after fights, before fights - whenever. I think you've got to wonder just how much of a "fan" one is if they are so turned off by Lesnar-type comments that they won't watch MMA anymore. Does one bad apple spoil the whole bunch? <----sorry that was kinda queer.
MisterFreeze
7/14/09 12:11:32PM

Posted by scoozna

I didn't read the whole article 'cause mmamania is blocked here at work...

I mostly agree. A whole lot of stupid things, classless things, have been said after fights, before fights - whenever. I think you've got to wonder just how much of a "fan" one is if they are so turned off by Lesnar-type comments that they won't watch MMA anymore. Does one bad apple spoil the whole bunch? <----sorry that was kinda queer.

I completely agree with you, even if it did sound queer, lol just kidding, it didn't.
One man and his post fight comments will never ruin or tarnish the image of MMA.

The only way Brock could hurt the sport is if he continued pummeling an opponent after the bell, shoved the ref down and then pummeled the opponent some more so viciously that he kills him. That would ruin the sport.
Being a sore loser, insulting the sponsor and encouraging Boo's.... that won't ruin the sports image, Just Brocks.
prozacnation1978
7/14/09 12:41:17PM
i don't think so
Giant_Ochai
7/14/09 1:05:51PM
If Brock had never been in WWE this wouldn't be a question. The joke is all the TUF generation fans refusing to give a former pro wrestler the respect he deserves.
Chuckles
7/14/09 1:10:59PM
I'm not going to say its going to help the sport's overall look, or even the organization's overall look, but it can't hurt it much. I mean I haven't read statistics, but I find it fair to assume that most ppl who watch MMA and the UFC are people who could careless about a comment like Brock's and might actually get a laugh out of it, I mean after all its not like MMA is a sport for the soft-hearted.
scoozna
7/14/09 1:27:23PM
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I've always felt that what Babalu Sobral did to David Heath (?) was 10x worse for MMA than BS comments by an adrenaline-pumped winner.
Jackelope
7/14/09 1:28:37PM

Posted by scoozna

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I've always felt that what Babalu Sobral did to David Heath (?) was 10x worse for MMA than BS comments by an adrenaline-pumped winner.

Same here. Long before I was a mod I got a warning for openly condemning (with much prejudice) Babalu for those actions. I have to laugh when I see people talking about Hendo's actions or Brock's given that incident. That was still one of the most brutal things I've ever seen in the Octagon.
emfleek
7/14/09 1:30:45PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by scoozna

Same here. Long before I was a mod I got a warning for openly condemning (with much prejudice) Babalu for those actions. I have to laugh when I see people talking about Hendo's actions or Brock's given that incident. That was still one of the most brutal things I've ever seen in the Octagon.

Same here. Babalu's actions were inexcusable, no matter how you look at it.
Schizoidman
7/14/09 3:40:34PM
I think that Brock's antics after the fight won't help much with MMA as a whole (UFC being the front runner) still looking for legitimacy as a sport. It brings that whole fake WWE image into the picture, and it will cause some speculation. EA Sports refused to be the platform for the UFC Undisputed game claiming that it isn't a real sport. I honestly don't think this sort of thing helps to battle those claims. I don't think this one incident really does much dammage in and of itself, but it could certainly hinder MMA's progress in seeking legitimacy and approval in the world of main stream sports.
Jackelope
7/14/09 3:48:58PM
If anybody here doesn't think MMA is still searching for legitimacy they're delusional. Turn on your local sports radio station and see if they're talking more about baseball or MMA right now. MMA just had its largest event ever, and yet the all star game with the centerpiece of a steroid abusing baseball player gets more coverage. So, despite controversy that sport rolls on and continues to be popular. Instead when MMA has a screw up, it is lambasted constantly on the major media outlets.

slapshot
7/14/09 3:50:00PM
JimiMak
7/14/09 5:15:49PM
Brock didn't even do or say anything bad. I've seen tons of fighters flip off the fans that boo them for winning. And what he said was nothing, just told Bud to pay him.

He takes flack for the stuff we see all the time, that other fighters don't take flak for, just cuz he wrestled.
Jackelope
7/14/09 5:23:11PM

Posted by JimiMak

Brock didn't even do or say anything bad. I've seen tons of fighters flip off the fans that boo them for winning. And what he said was nothing, just told Bud to pay him.

He takes flack for the stuff we see all the time, that other fighters don't take flak for, just cuz he wrestled.

I would agree with this statement in most cases. However, in the case of fans who say the same thing about the way Nick Diaz acts or many other notable MMA "bad boys" I wouldn't.

I think the vast majority of fans do have something against Brock because he wrestled, but that a small minority has a problem with him based on the way he carries himself. It's funny because you see people defending AND attacking Brock all the time because he wrestled in the WWE.

You hardly ever see people judging the man on how the man acts without any preconceptions. I sincerely believe that if you take the WWE completely out of the equation there would still be a decent number of people bitching about the way the guy acts.
Kpro
7/14/09 5:29:06PM
I didn't have any problem with the fingers, comments, or actions.

From the business-side though, the Bud Light comment, albeit funny, could affect current or future "major" sponsors. So in retrospect, I have a problem with that part. Hindsight is always 20/20 though, I'll give a pass, and hope Anheuser-Busch doesn't pull out within the next few months.
tdietel01
7/14/09 8:27:21PM
Why is it considered great for the sport when trash talking happens before the fight and it taboo after the fight? people have to pick one or the other, trash talk is good or trash talk is bad. before or after a fight shouldnt matter!
Jackelope
7/14/09 8:30:53PM

Posted by tdietel01

Why is it considered great for the sport when trash talking happens before the fight and it taboo after the fight? people have to pick one or the other, trash talk is good or trash talk is bad. before or after a fight shouldnt matter!

That's kind of missing the whole point. Trash talking is supposed to happen before the fight, but the fight in and of itself is supposed to be what squashes the trash talk. That's like the entire point of fighting.
tdietel01
7/14/09 8:37:51PM
I hate trash talk either way, before or after a fight. I am a fan of two men who are there to work, show respect and then go home. trash talking before the fight does nothing but make people want to talk it after the fight. i understand why brock was out of control. thats the negative side of trash talk before the fight.
But on the side of trash talk. i think it will have a positive effect on the sport, no matter how retarded it is, people will always love drama and buy it in bundles. thats why the wwe is so big.