Brock Lesnar Talks About Safety in MMA

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Brock Lesnar Talks About Safety in MMA
MMAcca
7/2/08 1:13:20PM
"Just like football, basketball or hockey, the risk of getting injured in competition is there. But everybody that gets in the octagon is very well-trained. Also, in this sport, if I feel like my arm's going to get snapped, I can tap out before I get injured. In other sports, I don't have that option.

If a linebacker's coming across and I'm carrying the ball, I don't have the opportunity to stop. I've been hurt more as a pro wrestler and as an amateur wrestler than I have in this. I was hurt more as a pro wrestler than anything else, because I worked 300 nights a year and they didn't care if I was hurt or not."

LINK
goatse
7/2/08 1:16:59PM
how to be safe in mma: fight like Lyoto Machiada and you wont get hit
AchillesHeel
7/2/08 2:04:04PM
An interesting side note:

"I work out with [University of Minnesota graduate] Cole Konrad still. [...]I think you're going to see a lot of University of Minnesota wrestlers thinking about making the transition. I've asked Cole if he'd ever want to do it, and we're involving him in my training camp now to see if he likes it or not."

According to Wikipedia, Konrad won a gold medal at the 2005 Pan-American Championships. He also won the NCAA wrestling championships in 2006 and 2007 at 285 pounds and finished third at the 2006 World University Championships at 120 kilograms (264.5 lbs). He was also the Big Ten 2007 Male Athlete of the Year.
imanidiot777
7/2/08 2:09:40PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

An interesting side note:

"I work out with [University of Minnesota graduate] Cole Konrad still. [...]I think you're going to see a lot of University of Minnesota wrestlers thinking about making the transition. I've asked Cole if he'd ever want to do it, and we're involving him in my training camp now to see if he likes it or not."

According to Wikipedia, Konrad won a gold medal at the 2005 Pan-American Championships. He also won the NCAA wrestling championships in 2006 and 2007 at 285 pounds and finished third at the 2006 World University Championships at 120 kilograms (264.5 lbs). He was also the Big Ten 2007 Male Athlete of the Year.

Should be interesting if a lot of huge yet still athletic wrestlers can make themselves a little more well rounded, they have the size and strength and the good wrestling base.
billycarnage
7/2/08 3:42:39PM
He's fought twice for a combined 2:39 seconds He hasn't had a chance to get hurt yet.

C'mon Heath giv'em Hell
AchillesHeel
7/2/08 3:49:56PM

Posted by billycarnage

He hasn't had a chance to get hurt yet.

You've never trained in wrestling, BJJ, or kickboxing, have you..?

(People get hurt in training, is what I mean to say.)
Vote4Fedro
7/2/08 4:49:03PM
Brock will work Keith in like a minute.
Figsak
7/2/08 4:50:52PM
He'd better, because Heath has a tendancy to take a beating but stay in the fight. I think Brock will gas and Heath finishes him 3rd round.
billycarnage
7/2/08 8:08:28PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by billycarnage

I understand that totally, my comment refers to him getting hurt more dancing around in the Pro Wrestling circuit than since his transition. He hasn't been hurt yet but he will. To me he makes it sound soft and I didn't like that. The ref isn't gonna step in before he gets rocked with a punch or head kicked... His analogy sucks.
And again
WAR HEATH!!
MaxOne
8/8/08 4:47:54PM

Posted by Vote4Fedro

Brock will work Keith in like a minute.

Jardine or Hackney?
JimiMak
8/8/08 5:15:49PM

Posted by billycarnage

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by billycarnage

I understand that totally, my comment refers to him getting hurt more dancing around in the Pro Wrestling circuit than since his transition. He hasn't been hurt yet but he will. To me he makes it sound soft and I didn't like that. The ref isn't gonna step in before he gets rocked with a punch or head kicked... His analogy sucks.
And again
WAR HEATH!!

You think he was "dancing around"? Have you seen his missed moonsault? only to stand up and throw another heavyweight over his head twice? The sh*t those guys put their bodies thru is insane and they get seriously hurt and keep going.

He was talking about how safe it is, nothing making is sound soft. If he was anybody but a pro wrestler you'd be making a comment like "Yeah this gets put as human cockfighting, but it's really safer etc"
mrsmiley
8/8/08 5:18:55PM

Posted by billycarnage

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by billycarnage

And again
WAR HEATH!!

I agree with War heath!!

But I will say this.Their is a lot that goes on in Pro wrestling that is BS.Those guys get injured a lot and some wrestlers complain the injuries go unchecked.Look at Ahmed Johnson.The guys kidney exploded and he went through a whole match like that.It wasn't until several hours later at the motel room that they called a doctor.If that was in the UFC the doctors would have got him assistance after the match and that would have been caught a lot sooner.Just look up the info on Chris Benoits brain damage due to taking too many hard head shots.Had the WWE had an A+ medical staff to constantly check the wrestlers,maybe wreslters health would fair better.