Brock Lesnar Storms Out of ESPN Interview

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Brock Lesnar Storms Out of ESPN Interview
Next Page »
MMAcca
10/22/08 8:36:42AM
From AOL Fanhouse:

ESPN correspondent Tom Farrey started to ask about performance-enhancing drugs, prompting Lesnar to storm out of their interview.

Farrey said in the voiceover, "Lesnar's physique also raised big questions about steroids."

The viewers then saw a portion of Farrey's interview with Lesnar in which Farrey said, "You're just so big and you come out of pro wrestling," and was then cut off by Lesnar saying, "That's it. We're done. Thanks, guys," and walking off.

LINK
Branwest
10/22/08 8:55:54AM
I don't doubt that he may have taken some in the past. After all, the WWE and other 'pro wrestling' factions don't test for steroids. But the UFC does, and unless there's a way to beat the tests, then I have to assume that he's now clean.
imanidiot777
10/22/08 9:00:38AM
I'd be pissed too, he is tested randomly during the year now with UFC and so far so good, and if you look at him through high school in college he's still naturally enormous. His shoulders are far broader than a normal human, I bet this guy could bench 200 lbs before he ever started training.
haggiswashere
10/22/08 9:00:47AM
Brock Lesnar doesn't need that crap. He is makin a new name in a new sport. He is being drug tested and the tests don't lie. I hated him at first but the dude is growing on me. I think its a hot spot for him because he knows people are expecting him to fail drug tests. I have sympathy for the dude.
grappler0000
10/22/08 9:02:29AM

Which is why I don't get why Lesnar didn't just sit down and answer Farrey's questions. The bottom line is that every big-time athlete has to be ready for steroid questions in this day and age, and the calm, even-keeled way that Usain Bolt answers the questions would be a good model for Lesnar to emulate.

What the author fails to realize is that they obviously didn't show the whole portion of the interview asking about steroids. ESPN only showed the end where he gets pissed...who knows how many different questions he was asked or how they asked them. Anytime he gets an interview from outside of the MMA world, I'm sure he gets asked this question...and I'm sure it can get frustrating.
bojangalz
10/22/08 9:02:36AM
Massive props. Great video. The interviewer didn't even get the question out before Lesnar shut him down and walked out.

I love the cliche' "i've never failed a drug test" line. He may very well be clean now, who knows. But it sounded to me like the interviewer was refering more to his days in wrestling than he was about usage in his MMA career.
4u2nv
10/22/08 9:04:53AM
Ya that can be offensive i suppose. He's competed in college which they test, then WWE crap which they dont and he probably used and abused roids then. Next he tried Pro-football which the test like crazy and now UFC which they test. Its a fair guess to say he's clean. But to act like a baby about it.... not so good.
grappler0000
10/22/08 9:07:07AM

Posted by bojangalz

Massive props. Great video. The interviewer didn't even get the question out before Lesnar shut him down and walked out.

I love the cliche' "i've never failed a drug test" line.

Yeah, but that's obviously what they wanted you to walk away with...his defense is that he's never tested positive. What's the context of the 2 snippets that we actually get to see? And, what all did he have to say about the subject? They chose not to show the rest of it.
Aether
10/22/08 9:20:01AM
I don't get why he would be so upset. It's not like the guy accused him of taking steroids, he just said there has been speculation in the public about the issue because he's so big and he comes from a background where steroid usage is common. This is what interviewers do, they ask the questions that the general public wants to hear answers to, how can you get angry at the interviewer for respectfully articulating the same questions everyone is asking? Sure it would be sort of annoying, but he has to expect those questions to come up, and that guy was about as tactful as a person can be.
saemskin
10/22/08 9:46:20AM
I wouldnt call that "storming"
They should have went over off topic stuff before the interview because I have seen enough dateline to know these ass hole interviewers are experts at fishing for gossip at the expense of the other guy. **** em, I think he got what he deserved for being disrespectful

You can clearly see that Brock is much less muscular than he was in the wwe. His skin is saggin a bit. He's clean. Dana wouldnt show him special treatment in this way. no way. There's too much at stake to bend the rules for 1guy, besides, it's not up to the UFC who does and doesnt get tested, the NSAC does that or whatever state they;re in
Sledge23
10/22/08 9:48:30AM
Brock Lesnar probably has taken steroids in the past. But you just cant get away with that in the UFC.
He is probably ashamed of his "Fake" Wrestling career, but thats why he came to MMA, to get a new rep. for Himself.
Give him a break. He'll be one of the best after he gets some experience.
emfleek
10/22/08 10:01:09AM
Though I understand that it can be frustrating to constantly be asked (hounded) these questions...Brock needs to be the bigger man. Part of being a public sports figure is answering the tough questions. If you truly have nothing to hide, why get upset about it? The questions aren't going to go away once you throw a temper tantrum. They're only going to keep coming...probably more often now.

Take your lumps, Brock. The questions being asked are justified. The reporters are just doing their jobs. Do yours.
Darnok
10/22/08 10:46:56AM
That reporter was being a dick. And who knows maybe Brock did calm down and go back for more interviewing. Maybe they asked the steroids questions first, maybe it was every second question.
scoozna
10/22/08 10:53:19AM
Good interview.

I had never seen the snippet of Dana coming to talk to him just after losing to Mir - he was all giddy and excited.

I think any reasonable person believes he took steroids at some point. But I also think he'd be a fool to continue taking them, risking getting busted.

How in the world did he fit into that tiny red car????
JimFin
10/22/08 10:54:46AM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/13059/six-pre-ufc-91-drug-tests-come-back-clean.mma

Brock just past a pre fight drug test. See the above link. That is really awfull they would disrespect him like that. I would have walked off too!
emfleek
10/22/08 10:58:44AM
Again...a good reporter will ask the hard/tough questions. Brock should be a man about this.
mrsmiley
10/22/08 11:18:58AM
Pretty good interview.Though their is one thing that really gets to me.

As of lately their has been a lot of "business" talk.I hear it all the time.
"This" is a "business" (reffering to MMA)

Brock says that people who think he's not worthy to have a title shot should quit crying because this is a business.

I can't agree with that.Pro Wrestling is a business,MMA is a SPORT.
Now just hear me out.
First and foremost I believe Brock VS Couture will be exciting,and I actualy pick Lesnar to win the fight.

However,it's all this "Business" talk that puts guys like Kimbo in the main event,leaving established stars such as AA and Robbie Lawler a match or two back.
I know,I know,UFC is not EXC (thank god),but it's that "business" mentality that leads to utter BS like that.

I know this fight will be exciting to watch,but when can the business get put aside and the sport gets put first?
I think we the fans,and fighters deserve at least that much.
wapttn
10/22/08 11:29:21AM
"The Commission recently tested Randy Couture, Brock Lesnar, Nick Catone, Amir Sadollah, Aaron Riley and Jorge Gurgel. All tests came back negative."

This was dated october 20th

So the guy was tested last month after winning the herring fight, he was tested this month by random CSAC testing and came back clean on both. The guy has always been a genetic freak of nature, and trains like an animal. Lesnar as a highschool kid... massive, lesnar as a collegian wrestler... massive, lesnar as a wwe wrestler... massive, lesnar as a ufc hw... massive. This is his body, get over it. He's been screened twice in 2 months and came back clean on both. And if you look at the guy now, compared him to how he looked in wwe... i dont see a difference. If he's clean now, theres a good chance he was clean then too.

The reporter asking this question is straight up disrespectful. Its questioning whether or not lesnar has earned what he has. When you look at the overall picture, the question was unwarranted... and thats why lesnar bailed. If you're gonna ask a jerkass question, expect a jerkass answer.

On a sidenote... for most big name interviews, the agent will discuss the interview with the reporter and go over what will be covered in the interview to make sure everything's fine. I highly suspect that this is one of those times where the reporter didnt mention that he would address the steroids issue but decided to anyways hoping for an answer that = ratings... very unprofessional
emfleek
10/22/08 11:29:43AM

Posted by mrsmiley

I know this fight will be exciting to watch,but when can the business get put aside and the sport gets put first?

The business aspect can be pushed aside once the sport becomes legitimate and acceptable in the eyes of the general public*.

* The general public is who is being targeted. Not the current fans/fighters. We actually deserve nothing until, like I said, the sport becomes legitimate and acceptable.
postman
10/22/08 11:35:14AM
Brock should not have walked out that screams of guilt. The other asspect is there is not test for HGH so he could very well be on that and he trains with Sherk who as we all know failed a test himself.
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/22/08 11:47:32AM
hissy fit
mrsmiley
10/22/08 12:00:50PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by mrsmiley

The business aspect can be pushed aside once the sport becomes legitimate and acceptable in the eyes of the general public*.

* The general public is who is being targeted. Not the current fans/fighters. We actually deserve nothing until, like I said, the sport becomes legitimate and acceptable.

Yeah I see what you mean.
But then you have to wonder even once it's fully excepted,will the "hardcore fans" every be targeted again?

It's kind of like when they turn a comic book into a movie.Sometimes it's done right,but even at that it's always catering to the general public,and the hardcore fans are left with very little left out of it.
Which I can't really complain,because the UFC has given us a lot of good fights lately,it's just that word "business" can very,very scary.
tomp6581
10/22/08 12:02:10PM
Common sense will tell you he took them in WWE (just look at him then!) and now he is clean! He has to be clean now.

Im not bashing him for taking them, he wasnt gaining an advantage in WWE, but I bet the only reason he would be reluctant to admit it now, is just becasue people would presume he still takes them.

edit by admin

tdietel01
10/22/08 12:23:05PM
As much as I and most people hate Business being a huge part of the sport..... It has to be! everything is a business. the world revolves around money and therefore everything else has to also. Without the business part there wouldnt be any sport. Without zuffa and white with theyre business sense there would be no ufc
wapttn
10/22/08 12:29:09PM

Posted by tomp6581

Common sense will tell you he took them in WWE (just look at him then!) and now he is clean! He has to be clean now.

Im not bashing him for taking them, he wasnt gaining an advantage in WWE, but I bet the only reason he would be reluctant to admit it now, is just becasue people would presume he still takes them.

edit

no doode, speculation also says that these guys juiced up. As soon as chutebox came out of pride and seemed to be underperforming i highly suspected that they had been using performance enhancing drugs. Its not common sense, especially considering that theres a full range of performance enhancing drugs that are not steroids.

heres a picture of lesnar in the wwe and a picture of him at a weigh in for mma.

very similar body type. One difference between the two? the one where he's holding up the belt i suspect is him flexing his ass off for the crowd. The weigh in picture is after he cut down to 265.

You gotta look at this kidna stuff objectively... be proud of what you do know, and accept what you dont know... when you dont, you add to the ignorance of the sport.

And i dont even like lesnar.... doode gets 1 win in the ufc, cowboy rides his opponent at the end of the round, points and laughs at him when he tried to shake his hand, then acts like he just beat fedor in the interview. Doode has some serious growing up to do, but that doesnt take anything away from his physical gifts.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
pgally4000
10/22/08 12:53:06PM
I don't like Lesnar, but I understand his walking out on this interview because he most likely thought they were going to screw him over like they did to John Cena on CNN. I anybody remembers that interview, the reporter asks John if he ever did steroids and he says no, absolutely not. But when it aired, they cut to a different part of the interview and tried to make him look like a piece of garbage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zagHPxxO0X8&feature=related

Aether
10/22/08 1:03:12PM
how the hell is it rude for a reporter to ask a legitimate question? It's pretty simple, this is HIS JOB. He asks the questions that the public is asking so that they will watch the interview to get the answers to the questions they want to ask. If people are talking about steroids that's what an interviewer will ask about. How is it disrespectful? Should reporters all over the world never ask any questions about possibly sensitive issues in case they offend someone who is innocent?

"oh sorry mister vick, we didn't mean to offend you by asking about your alleged dog fighting ring before you were proven guilty"

The judgment that the question is disrespectful is based off of an assumption of innocence, which doesn't make much sense. If he were proven to have taken steroids all of the people saying he's being disrespectful would be expecting the same reporters to be asking the same questions. The problem is if no one asks those questions in the first place those answers will never be given. Administering drug tests is an extension of that philosophy.

Brock should grow up a little bit and the people screaming disrespect should take a look at the world around them and ask themselves whether reporters asking tough questions is a bad thing or not. Whether it's something trivial like drugging in sports or something important like political scandals, asking tough questions at the risk of offending people who may very well be innocent is a necessity.
Aether
10/22/08 1:24:19PM
I've been blown away at the lack of reasoning so many people seem to have when engaging in debate about issues like this. In the last week on these boards I've heard claims that the UFC is responsible for the actions of it's fighters, and that the fighters themselves are not the ones accountable for their own actions, alleging that an opinion which has not yet been voiced is "stupid" in the middle of asking people for said opinion, that fighters who earn the most revenue for the company should be paid less than fighters who earn less but have "paid their dues", and that reporters are being disrespectful by ASKING QUESTIONS.

Sometimes I read these arguments and I wonder what planet the people making them came from. I'd like to live in a world where people are always paid based on their ability and work ethic as opposed to actual revenue, where reporters only ask happy questions about how awesome the person they're interviewing are and where no one is responsible for their own decisions, but that isn't earth.

He's a reporter, he asks questions. Stating that "his physique has raised big questions about steroids" and commenting that his background in wrestling adds to the public speculation isn't rude... It's stating a FACT. Can anyone deny that these questions have been raised? How is it rude for a reporter to state an obvious fact in an attempt to get an answer to an often asked question?
grappler0000
10/22/08 1:42:01PM

Posted by Aether

He's a reporter, he asks questions. Stating that "his physique has raised big questions about steroids" and commenting that his background in wrestling adds to the public speculation isn't rude... It's stating a FACT. Can anyone deny that these questions have been raised? How is it rude for a reporter to state an obvious fact in an attempt to get an answer to an often asked question?

I don't think it's necessarily rude for the reporter to ask the question, had he been one of the first dozen or so reporters to ask it. At a certain point, do we really need to hear his response to the same question again? He's said his piece on it and passed multiple tests. I imagine it gets old really quickly when you have to hear those same words over and over again...not to mention, I would expect ESPN to come up with some fresher questions than that.

At the end of the day, we'll have to wait and hear from Brock why he walked out. It's obvious that we didn't see the whole segment, which really makes it seem as though the producer is editing for good television.

I'm fine with reporters asking the tough questions, but honestly, who's on trial?
nastshabast
10/22/08 2:01:05PM

Posted by Darnok

That reporter was being a dick. And who knows maybe Brock did calm down and go back for more interviewing. Maybe they asked the steroids questions first, maybe it was every second question.

I got the same impression when he ended the interview. It seemed as if the guy asked a bunch of dumb stuff and Brock was ready to end it anyway, then the stereroid question came up and Lesnar said **** it. Just my impression, and we all know how a little bit of editing can turn the tables on damn near anything.

Pages: [1] 2