Brock Lesnar Set To Make MMA Debut July 7!!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Brock Lesnar Set To Make MMA Debut July 7!!!!
« Previous Page | Next Page »
RedScorpion
4/5/07 9:58:16AM
Lesnar could become quite good imo. he has sick power, he could take Choi down at will. would be cool to see some heavy g&p from Lesnar...
JimiMak
4/8/07 10:42:56PM

Posted by cant_hit_bombz

Posted by JimiMak

Once he actually makes his debut, will ppl be getting called out on all the fighter bashing? Unsubstantiated steroid charges? First off he is an accomplished wrestler (NCAA), second Sakuraba, Shamrock, Severn etc started out as pro wrestlers. Why do he and Angle take so much flak on here just cuz they did pro wrestling?

Shamrock was an accomplished MMA fighter before he went to Pro wrestling. Sakuraba is a freak of nature so he doesn't count.lol.

I think Lesnars down fall will be his size. when he was NCAA wrestling he was smaller and quicker.

Actually, no Shamrock wrestled for UWFI and that was how he got into Pankrase. He was a pro wrestler who even had his own comic book in Japan long before he started NHB/MMA. A lot of pro wrestlers in both Japan and the US have successfully made the transition. Josh Barnett is another example.
jdubs
4/9/07 12:15:02PM
i bet lasnar has lost alot of weight for this fight he he can slim down and if he has good hands, who knows he may be good
DuncanFan819
4/10/07 7:06:32AM

Posted by JimiMak

Once he actually makes his debut, will ppl be getting called out on all the fighter bashing? Unsubstantiated steroid charges? First off he is an accomplished wrestler (NCAA), second Sakuraba, Shamrock, Severn etc started out as pro wrestlers. Why do he and Angle take so much flak on here just cuz they did pro wrestling?

I don't blame people for getting on Angle because he runs his mouth too much. Lesnar seems pretty serious about this for the time being, so I think people should give him a shot before totally alienating him because of his pro wrestling career.
warglory
4/10/07 10:20:47AM

Posted by JimiMak

There is a big difference between WWE pro wrestling and NJPW, AJPW and Pancrase pro wrestling. Pro wrestlers in Japan take pride in knowing how to shoot, catch and greco it up, not necessarily how to perfect their moonsaults and chair shots.
hook_tothe_body
4/10/07 1:50:02PM
I hope he's trained a lot of JJ, and kickboxing (of course he's good at wrestling.) 'Cause MMA is way different from crappy, fake WWE, or football, or whatever he's been doing for however many years.

I hope he gets KO'ed.
Junior24
4/14/07 12:14:48AM
I forsee Brock moving in w/Team Quest in the near future. He has said that he has been training w/Royce but I dont know how long that will last. Brock has all the elements and potential to be great. With his background i think he is a couple steps ahead of anyone who starts out in MMA. We can speculate on this board all day, but until we see him actuall fight it will be a mute point. I think he will be very successful. Josh Thompson and maybe Butterbean would be good matchups for him before he takes on anyone like Mark Hunt, Axelander Emelinko, Heath Herring, Tim Sylvia, or any of the other huge HW's.
JimiMak
4/14/07 2:54:24PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by JimiMak

There is a big difference between WWE pro wrestling and NJPW, AJPW and Pancrase pro wrestling. Pro wrestlers in Japan take pride in knowing how to shoot, catch and greco it up, not necessarily how to perfect their moonsaults and chair shots.

Haven't watched a lot of Japanese wrestling, have you? They do like the shoot aspects. But they love their high flying moonsaults shooting star presses etc. (which were invented in Japan) The Japanese wrestling fans like the spectacle to be in the ring, not on the mic, but they like a huge spectacle none the less. NJPW and AJPW offer a wide variety for the more casual fan, pankrase and UWFI offer more strict shoot style matches, then you have promotions over there like Battle Arts and FMW that focus on the chair shots, barbed wire etc.

These two, unlike most American pro wrestlers, have just as much legitimacy in their first match as... say.... Sakuraba (who's first "MMA" match is widely regarded as a fix and was an easy choke out loss to Kimo). I just say let him get in the ring and watch with the same open mind as you would any other fighter you've never seen.
MethodMan
4/16/07 4:27:51AM
When Ken was in Japan as a wrestler although the matches were fixed they used to punch and kick each other quite hard and put real submission moves on just not to the degree that the other person would tap before the right round. I have seen a japanese programme of how sakuraba trains, lots of shoots and plenty of live sparring, he trains for MMA to win by submission. There are guys who train in Brasil or other places that have countless fights before they eventually get the call up, it seems to me the easy way to skip straight to a pro-fighter is to become an entertainer/actor first, then hopfully pick up the fighting lark before your 3 year 6 figure contract is up.
rameydl8
4/24/07 9:46:03PM

Posted by ryderstrong69

i hope he gets beat by the 7'2" freak

i hope he kills the 7'2" freak
Northrend
4/25/07 3:43:12AM
I can see this fight going similar to Rulon Gardner vs Yoshida as far as Lesnar not knowing alot of MMA skills since its his first fight and LnP'ing the decision. Excited to see him though, loved him in pro wrestling a while back (before I started watching MMA)
dunster
4/25/07 2:59:53PM
lesnar was throwing around people like the big show, rikishi and mark henry in wwe like they were toys, i think he will do well simply based on power alone. if anyone does grab hold for a submission, he could throw them off anyway. i dont think anyone can write him off without watching him, especially as his first matches wont be againt the greatest fighters anyway
Kastro
5/3/07 4:51:15PM
Looking forward to seeing what Lesnar can do in MMA.. I hope he eventually makes his way to the UFC I think they would want to scout him because he is definitely marketable.
pv3Hpv3p
5/3/07 4:59:48PM

Posted by Northrend

I can see this fight going similar to Rulon Gardner vs Yoshida as far as Lesnar not knowing alot of MMA skills since its his first fight and LnP'ing the decision. Excited to see him though, loved him in pro wrestling a while back (before I started watching MMA)

I think that's a decent comparison, but Rulon has come out and said that he just doesn't like hurting people and seems like a genuinely nice fella, whereas I don't think that Brock will have the same problem, he seems like he could have a nasty meanstreak in him... Not to say that he isn't a nice guy outside the ring...

I can see Lesnar easily pounding out a decision... I guess it's all gonna depend on how he reacts when he gets popped in the kisser... When the shit really hits the fan... I'll admit that K-1 has me really interested in the fight though.

-P
cowcatcher
5/3/07 5:04:49PM
supposedlythe card is now in jeopardy because they cant sell enough tix(its a 90000 seat arena) so i really hope everything works out.
rcg916
5/3/07 10:09:29PM
I read that Lesnar's down around 255-260 walking around... he was close to 300 at his size peak...

I think if he takes Choi down, thatll be the round. He may be able to stop him, but I down see the big man getting off his back. Im partial to the ncaa wrestlers though, lol
MethodMan
5/4/07 9:25:53AM

Posted by dunster

lesnar was throwing around people like the big show, rikishi and mark henry in wwe like they were toys, i think he will do well simply based on power alone. if anyone does grab hold for a submission, he could throw them off anyway. i dont think anyone can write him off without watching him, especially as his first matches wont be againt the greatest fighters anyway

You can power out from a hammerlock or some wrestling subs, but if somebody got him in a triangle or omoplata game over, he would tap and scream uncle, that or get his muscles and bones ripped to shreds.
Ultimate_fighter
5/17/07 2:37:10PM

Posted by cant_hit_bombz

I think he'll turn out to be another Bob Sapp, just a sideshow freak

pv3Hpv3p
5/17/07 6:23:09PM

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

Posted by cant_hit_bombz

I think he'll turn out to be another Bob Sapp, just a sideshow freak

Even though he's got an actual wrestling pedigree, as appose to describing his style as "NFL"?
Ultimate_fighter
5/19/07 2:01:07AM
I honestly he hope that he picks up that giant, and gets a KO Slam! That would be great, then ground and pounds him till the ref stops it.
p_unit23
5/19/07 10:57:41PM
i think brock will do pretty good. brock should take the victory.
jkdskinhead
5/22/07 12:19:59PM
Do you mean Josh Barnett? That would be rather scarey seeing Josh Thompson VS Brock
jkdskinhead
5/22/07 12:21:10PM

Posted by Junior24

I forsee Brock moving in w/Team Quest in the near future. He has said that he has been training w/Royce but I dont know how long that will last. Brock has all the elements and potential to be great. With his background i think he is a couple steps ahead of anyone who starts out in MMA. We can speculate on this board all day, but until we see him actuall fight it will be a mute point. I think he will be very successful. Josh Thompson and maybe Butterbean would be good matchups for him before he takes on anyone like Mark Hunt, Axelander Emelinko, Heath Herring, Tim Sylvia, or any of the other huge HW's.

jkdskinhead
5/22/07 12:26:10PM

Posted by rcg916

I read that Lesnar's down around 255-260 walking around... he was close to 300 at his size peak...

I think if he takes Choi down, thatll be the round. He may be able to stop him, but I down see the big man getting off his back. Im partial to the ncaa wrestlers though, lol

Quintin Jackson can power out of triangles... but thats the rampage.
pv3Hpv3p
5/22/07 2:31:32PM

Posted by jkdskinhead

Do you mean Josh Barnett? That would be rather scarey seeing Josh Thompson VS Brock

Betchya Josh Thompson wouldn't turn down the fight though... I got Thompson by knee bar 1st rd
Sheddy
5/25/07 2:52:09AM

Actually, no Shamrock wrestled for UWFI and that was how he got into Pankrase. He was a pro wrestler who even had his own comic book in Japan long before he started NHB/MMA. A lot of pro wrestlers in both Japan and the US have successfully made the transition. Josh Barnett is another example.

Plus Fujita, Saku, Minowa and Giant Silva to name a few.
cowcatcher
5/25/07 8:29:03AM

Posted by Sheddy

worst day in MMA history: giant silva mentioned in the same sentance as saku
loller90278
5/25/07 3:02:50PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by Sheddy

worst day in MMA history: giant silva mentioned in the same sentance as saku

i laughed out loud funny stuff. "sucessfully made the transition" "giant silva"

oh man, too good, reminds me of boondocks (?) giant silva hl..
cjandnw
6/3/07 11:27:03AM
Lesnar MMA record 1-0
By this time next week he'll be mulling lucrative UFC contract. By this time next year, he will be the UFC heavyweight champion!
mrsumo
6/4/07 11:39:41PM
I just saw the fight on youtube! Way to go brock! I have to wonder if they could have found a smaller opponent. He did pretty good IMO. Took him down, worked for the mount and pounded until he tapped. Not bad for a guy with a penis tattoo on his chest!
Pages: 1 [2] 3