Brock Lesnar Needed 4XL Gloves, has longer reach than sylvia

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Brock Lesnar Needed 4XL Gloves, has longer reach than sylvia
juanez13
2/2/08 4:26:27PM
According to Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer:

"Lesnar's hands are the largest for any combat sports athlete in the history of the state of Nevada. He needed 4XL gloves, and even they were slightly on the small size. The only fighter ever to wear 4XL gloves was South Korean giant Choi Hong-man, who is 7-3 and 367 pounds. While we didn't get the exact number, people were also stunned by Lesnar's reach, as it was longer than Tim Sylvia's. However, that probably won't play much of a part because boxing at range probably isn't in his strategy."
kevietre
2/2/08 4:27:17PM
The only other guy to use 4XL gloves in Combat sports is Hong Man Choi

cowcatcher
2/2/08 4:32:35PM
his reach is that big due to the fact that his shoulders are as wide as a house, his hands being so big is a surprise though, that gives a fighter natural KO power that cant be taught.
jiujitsufreak74
2/2/08 4:37:12PM

Posted by cowcatcher

his reach is that big due to the fact that his shoulders are as wide as a house, his hands being so big is a surprise though, that gives a fighter natural KO power that cant be taught.

yea i agree, the reach won't be much of a factor because his arms aren't going to be longer than Sylvia's, it is just his shoulders are skewing the numbers. his hands though are like sledgehammers and if mir is not careful a missed armbar could end the fight. i am still picking mir but this is going to be a good fight to watch because there are so many unknowns
roger
2/2/08 4:37:25PM
thats a huge guy
roger
2/2/08 4:44:02PM
that's why i have him wining 1st round ko/tko
CornishMMA
2/2/08 4:48:43PM

Posted by kevietre

The only other guy to use 4XL gloves in Combat sports is Hong Man Choi

Erm yes well it said thay in article, nice echo tho

"that probably won't play much of a part because boxing at range probably isn't in his strategy."

Oh really?

Ive got a funny feeling Brock is confident in his hands and will stand and bang with Mir for at keast the 1st round, if he takes him down and is sloppy then he gets subbed and thats my pick, but my wager is on the equally likely outcome of Brock GnPing a gassed Frank or winning a UD

This thread should be moved to the UFC forum imo, thats some interesting stuff, i knew he was 6'3 and has that meaty head but i didnt think he would have a good reach
bls1919
2/3/08 10:58:04PM
he is a monster for sure
Rush
2/3/08 11:46:00PM

Posted by cowcatcher

This is why I keep wondering when the UFC is actually going to measure reach in a way that is informative and translates to the fight.
CJsuperstar
2/10/08 7:42:50AM
Here's Brock and Choi
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1