Brock Lesnar to make MMA debut in May

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Brock Lesnar to make MMA debut in May
« Previous Page
cowcatcher
3/2/07 1:52:35PM
as long as he gets past the first punch to the mush that connects with anything behind it he should do fine, wrestlers convert to MMA well because while they're learning they can win fights by LNP
madmarck
3/3/07 1:45:19PM

Posted by cowcatcher

as long as he gets past the first punch to the mush that connects with anything behind it he should do fine, wrestlers convert to MMA well because while they're learning they can win fights by LNP

Yeah at first they saw Coleman, Frye, and Couture and realized they could win by GNP. Then they realzied if they had zero BJJ they could just win by sitting in guard.
I think if a fighter goes 3 rounds sitting in anothers guard it should be ruled a draw not a win. So what. Whats better constant offence or better defence? If the guy on top is seen as being in the dominant position then may be he should dominate a little bit instead of just lying in possibly the gayest position in MMA (next to North South of course). Not saying anythign wrong with being in guard. Just try and learn how to pass or at the very least just punch the guy a few times.

I hate Tito for intorducing the concept of stting in guard! Thats why Randy is the Man he goes for the mount!
migo
3/3/07 11:29:52PM
Kaoklai was able to throw Choi twice. Lesnar can definitely take him down. Also training with MFS means he's been training with Sylvia who's got the same type of ability Choi does.
cjandnw
3/5/07 2:47:57PM
How does getting hit in the head with a steel chair compare with getting punched? I've been the recipient of both and they both suck.

MARK MY WORDS within 1 year Lesnar will be the most dominate MMA fighter in the world, barring injury!
madmarck
3/5/07 6:11:15PM

Posted by cjandnw

How does getting hit in the head with a steel chair compare with getting punched? I've been the recipient of both and they both suck.

MARK MY WORDS within 1 year Lesnar will be the most dominate MMA fighter in the world, barring injury!

Maybe in K1 or the SHW divison. But can you honesty see this guy beating Barnett, Nog, or Fedor?
cjandnw
3/5/07 10:20:53PM
When I watched WWF (and after it switched to WWE) I saw Lesnar take the biggest bumps (falls and hits) He has taken the flush steel chair strikes to the FACE, not the glancing blows to the head. He suffered a cuncussion after a failed shooting star press and still had enough composure and finished the match.
This man is un-stop-able.
I've met him in person, he's definitelt typr A++, but he exudes power.

LINK +>Shooting star press==failed =
madmarck
3/5/07 10:35:07PM
You do know those steel chairs are faked right. They dont bend when in the seat when you hit someone over the head with them. I have seen it done in some stupid backyard shit.
mmadb
3/5/07 11:18:25PM
Getting hit with a steel chair is slightly different than getting punched for a couple of reasons...

A. The guy swinging the chair isn't usually trying to knock out, a lot of the time the less couragoues/stupid rastlers throw a hand in there to cushion the blow.

B. You know the chair is coming and can thus move with it or at least be ready for it, you don't always see a punch coming and that's when things do the most damage, when you're not expecting it.

Either way, of course he has potential but only time will tell.
Svartorm
3/6/07 12:35:51AM

Posted by madmarck

You do know those steel chairs are faked right. They dont bend when in the seat when you hit someone over the head with them. I have seen it done in some stupid backyard shit.

They're real chairs. The trick is is to make sure the seat hits you, and not the rim of the seat. If the middle of the seat hits you in the head, it hurts, but will bend the chair. The rim can do some serious damage though, but will also bend. I've had enough of them folded over my head to know.

Edit: Also, the chair and shooting star press examples really aren't valid. MMADB covered the whole "knowing you're going to get hit" aspect. Also, wrestling is a much slower pace than MMA, especially after high risk moves like chair shots and flips from the top rope. In wrestling, you don't have a dude jumping on you, looking to put you away when you're hurt. The other wrestler(s) can tell when something is wrong, and will usually take it easy on you.
mmadb
3/6/07 8:28:36AM
Indeed, and the Shooting Star Press is a perfect example, Angle carried him the rest of the way in that match. If he got that rocked from a punch you have no time to recover and your opponent isn't going to take it easy on you because you're hurt. It's quite the opposite.

I didn't mention the seat part because I just assumed common sense would take over but if he wants to think it's a fake chair go nuts.
madmarck
3/6/07 9:51:18AM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by madmarck

They're real chairs. The trick is is to make sure the seat hits you, and not the rim of the seat. If the middle of the seat hits you in the head, it hurts, but will bend the chair. The rim can do some serious damage though, but will also bend. I've had enough of them folded over my head to know.

Edit: Also, the chair and shooting star press examples really aren't valid. MMADB covered the whole "knowing you're going to get hit" aspect. Also, wrestling is a much slower pace than MMA, especially after high risk moves like chair shots and flips from the top rope. In wrestling, you don't have a dude jumping on you, looking to put you away when you're hurt. The other wrestler(s) can tell when something is wrong, and will usually take it easy on you.

WEll i have never got hit with a steel chair. But i was ina brawl and somebody hit me with a real wooden chain. Let me tell you. Those things dont break like in the movies. They just hurt like ******* hell, when you wake up.
SICKRICK
3/6/07 2:41:52PM
bottom line is lesnar will get hiss ass beat
cjandnw
3/6/07 2:43:40PM
I agree with your statements about knowing what is about to come as in the WWE as opposed to being "shocked" in MMA by a strike. VALID and ACCURATE. My comments only serve to allude to Lesnar's ability to take punishment.
Time WILL tell and he could be the next big thing or the next big bum.
My advice, to quote some actor from the past (Wesley Snipes?) "Always bet on BRock" or was it on Black, whatever.
madmarck
3/6/07 2:49:28PM

Posted by cjandnw

I agree with your statements about knowing what is about to come as in the WWE as opposed to being "shocked" in MMA by a strike. VALID and ACCURATE. My comments only serve to allude to Lesnar's ability to take punishment.
Time WILL tell and he could be the next big thing or the next big bum.
My advice, to quote some actor from the past (Wesley Snipes?) "Always bet on BRock" or was it on Black, whatever.

Yeah but isnt Wesly Snipes in jail right now for some stupid stuff?
Never take advice from someone who carries fake ID's around and they area multi-millinoare
cjandnw
3/6/07 5:26:40PM
migo
3/7/07 3:10:13AM

Posted by SICKRICK

bottom line is lesnar will get hiss ass beat

By Choi? That's far from a given seeing as he was unable to finish Kaoklai and this is MMA rules.
mmadb
3/7/07 11:01:53AM
I think he could beat Choi to personally, Choi isn't really a polished athletic guy, he's just too damn big to be agile and quick and all the other fun stuff that makes a great fighter. Lesnar would probably take him down at will.
madmarck
3/7/07 2:10:23PM

Posted by mmadb

I think he could beat Choi to personally, Choi isn't really a polished athletic guy, he's just too damn big to be agile and quick and all the other fun stuff that makes a great fighter. Lesnar would probably take him down at will.

Im pretty sure Brock can take down anyone in K1. He is big and strong and pretty fast. Not to mention the big guys in that org arent exaclty Wrestling machines. I think his only problem will be inexperince and we might just end up having lay and pray all day (yay!).
Lay_N_Pray
3/7/07 5:48:53PM
I really think its just to early to tell. I'm a fan of wrestling and I watched him in the WWE and I know there is no comparison to MMA really. The guys in wrestling, not just WWE, are frickin tough as nails, but that doesnt necessarily relate to success in MMA.

I think Lesnar has the potential to do well, but I also think he needs to cut some big time weight. Right now he is much to big and in the end I think it will hurt his cardio. There is no reason to be that big in MMA, he can still maintain his explosivness and power if he drops some weight and gains some flexibility.
mmadb
3/8/07 10:31:29AM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

I really think its just to early to tell. I'm a fan of wrestling and I watched him in the WWE and I know there is no comparison to MMA really. The guys in wrestling, not just WWE, are frickin tough as nails, but that doesnt necessarily relate to success in MMA.

Sean O'Haire being a prime example.
madmarck
3/8/07 10:40:28AM

Posted by mmadb

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Sean O'Haire being a prime example.

I think he proved that being in extremely goood shape isnt everyhting in MMA. Sure great shape is a dangerous tool when you have mad skills. But Sean O'Haire doesn't. I saw him beat Shungo, who he outwiehgt by at least 70 pounds and had 6 inches on, and even then i wasn't really impressed.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/8/07 2:53:12PM
This is hilarious. I wish Brock all the best. On sherdog I read in an article that he was getting tapped out like crazy by Hughes when he was training @ MFS
Berti
3/8/07 5:25:09PM
he will lay and pray im sure.
JimiMak
3/11/07 11:36:59PM

Posted by hippysmacker

If he cuts out the roids he could make 265

hippysmacker, I'm really surprised and disappointed. Usually you make really valid points and would get on someone's a** for making a baseless accusation like that. While one can only guess I'll tell you the reasons I believe he actually doesn't juice.

First off, he's always been huge and always passed tests for NCAA.
Second, usually when a wrestler gets asked the roids question they just skirt the issue and talk about how it's not "cheating" because it's not competition. Once he came along some guys (Kurt Angle specifically) liked to point to Brock (while leaving themselves out of it) as an example of someone that most ppl assume is on them because he is so big, but they insist he's definitely clean (when they don't even try to make the same claim for themselves). For years Oregon has tested pro wrestlers the same as other sports, so WWE just didn't perform there for something like 15 years. The only events they have held there since the late 70's or early 80's were Brock headlined events with no other big names on them.
And finally, supposedly when he missed the aforementioned shooting star press and they thought he may have broken his back, he wouldn't even take pain killers. From what they say (other wrestlers and insiders) he is hardcore anit-drug of all sorts.

Just thought I'd drop some insight that ppl who've never been into wrestling wouldn't know.
CountryBreakfast
3/12/07 3:42:49AM
he kind of picked the wrong guy to have his first fight with......choi is a giant
madmarck
3/12/07 9:08:58AM

Posted by CountryBreakfast

he kind of picked the wrong guy to have his first fight with......choi is a giant

So is brock. He propably has twice the muscle mass of Choi. Choi may have like 10 inches on him but Brock can take him down.
cjandnw
3/12/07 9:33:16AM
Dana White on Lesnar and Angle:

link
madmarck
3/12/07 9:48:13AM

Posted by cjandnw

Dana White on Lesnar and Angle:

link

That was jsut a link to the site in general. HERE is one to the article.

Dana says that he would like Brock, intresting. But LEsanr would have to slim down to fight in the UFC.
Pages: 1 [2]