UFC 85: Brock Lesnar vs. Justin McCully

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 85: Brock Lesnar vs. Justin McCully
Next Page »
juanez13
2/22/08 10:16:33PM
According to Justin on Inside MMA

Justin McCully Is pretty much a ground and pound guy. He has some submissions, but he's no Frank Mir. Basically, if he doesn't put Lesnar on his back, I don't see how he wins.

LINK
roman
2/22/08 10:18:22PM
Lesnar in the first minute via GnP.

Looks like he will be 2-1 now, what a disappointing match up.
kevietre
2/22/08 10:26:44PM
Justin Mccully gets on my nerves. This is do or die for Lesnar becasue if he losses people will assume he can't fight for squat so I hope he dominates the insane one.
gartface
2/22/08 10:45:28PM

Posted by kevietre

Justin Mccully gets on my nerves. This is do or die for Lesnar becasue if he losses people will assume he can't fight for squat so I hope he dominates the insane one.

They would be right, especially if he didn't beat McCully. I love Brock Lesnar, but if he lost to McCully it'd warrant a release by the UFC.
Kracker_Jap
2/22/08 10:55:55PM

Posted by roman

Lesnar in the first minute via GnP.

Looks like he will be 2-1 now, what a disappointing match up.

Why is it disapointing???

Who else should he fight ?

Big name or not I think this fight is more fare and better to help Lesnar in his career

After all he is just a noob with a huge name...
Pookie
2/22/08 11:03:05PM
Mccully coudlnt even submit Hardonk and had him in perfect position to do so many many times.
He should pose no problem at all for Lesnar.
jae_1833
2/22/08 11:30:42PM
If he losses to McCully then he is nothing but a hype game to me!!!
Ordep
2/22/08 11:37:49PM
This is the level of opponent he needs right now, and even if he win i would give him another same-level, maybe Christian Wellisch or someone like this before giving him a recognized name again, but who knows, with the lack of HW in the UFC probably he'll get a title shot or a Mir rematch(this would be ok if Mir loses his next) if he can pass McCully
juanez13
2/22/08 11:49:19PM

Posted by Ordep

This is the level of opponent he needs right now, and even if he win i would give him another same-level, maybe Christian Wellisch or someone like this before giving him a recognized name again, but who knows, with the lack of HW in the UFC probably he'll get a title shot or a Mir rematch(this would be ok if Mir loses his next) if he can pass McCully

i say after this he takes a step up in competition again, but i doubt a title shot or a rematch would be it, i'd put him against Herring win or loose against kongo, or kongo win or loose against herring...........both are markatable fights, and also a test.
Jackelope
2/23/08 1:23:40AM
This is exactly what the UFC needs to do with Brock Lesnar. He wanted the big fight, and he got subbed. Now, back down to the lower stables with you until you prove you're worthy of fighting up top.
jiujitsufreak74
2/23/08 1:37:56AM

Posted by Kracker_Jap
After all he is just a noob with a huge name...

he's like a Gracie child going into his first submission tournament against blackbelts

no but seriously, this is a good match up imo. either way the victor will benefit immensely. if brock wins, he gets to finally get his first win in the UFC out of the way so the pressure won't be as great. brock could finally relax a little but and focus 100% on working on his skills. if mccully wins, he can use brock's name to catapult himself as a person to beat in the UFC HW division...if not for only a couple of fights. the publicity would be great for mccully and its just what he needs to be recognized. now, the loser of this fight will be in a bad spot, particularly if its brock. if brock loses, then like everyone said he will be deflated and his career as a MMA star will be labeled as a joke. of mccully loses, well at least he lost to a monster but he still lost to a guy who only has 2 fights under his belt. this fight is interesting to see how brock does now that he got his debut out of the way. i am leaning towards brock in this one, but i wouldn't be completely shocked if mccully won. however, i see brock taking this to the ground and controlling mccully until he gets the TKO in the late 1st or early 2nd.
Kpro
2/23/08 1:46:08AM
I think it's a good matchup; Brock is only 1-1.

He needs, for his career, to face a mid-tier guy that doesn't have strong submissions, and McCully is just the guy.

It's good for McCully too, as if he wasn't "that guy" for Brock, he wouldn't be getting such a good opportunity to steal Brock's thunder.
Kpro
2/23/08 1:53:37AM
By "doesn't have strong submissions", I mean "hasn't shown strong submissions"; I do realize that McCully is a BJJ Blackbelt.

Word from McCully's camp is that he was originally offered the Kongo fight at UFC 82, but had other obligations so they gave it to Herring.

And after Mir beat Lesnar, McCully actually requested to fight Lesnar.

I think it should be an interesting matchup and equivalent with where Lesnar's career is at.
Trench777
2/23/08 3:34:34AM
It would be interesting to see where Lesnar's cardio is. Hopefully McCully can avoid getting his head seperated from his shoulders for a round & a half, 2 rounds...just to see if Brock can keep up that frantic pace he set in the Mir fight. Of course, that assumes his trainers didnt tell him "Brock...dude...a 747 cant go buzzing around like a freaking Cessna. Take it down a notch."

However...I kinda think this is going to be a Miami Vs. Patriots-esque blow out.

Brock by decapitation, Rd 1.

T777
MMAcca
2/23/08 4:12:42AM

Posted by jae_1833

Too true, Too true
roman
2/23/08 4:28:01AM

Posted by Kpro

By "doesn't have strong submissions", I mean "hasn't shown strong submissions"; I do realize that McCully is a BJJ Blackbelt.

Word from McCully's camp is that he was originally offered the Kongo fight at UFC 82, but had other obligations so they gave it to Herring.

I think it should be an interesting matchup and equivalent with where Lesnar's career is at.

You and everyone else is insane. Did you see that Lesnar/Mir fight?????

Lesnar will kill him, KILL HIM, easily in the first. McCully doesn't have the heart or submission skills Mir has. Not interesting like the Mir fight, this is a no brainer!!!! Lesnar is too strong and he will GnP McCully into the mat.
Sam_Rothstein
2/23/08 9:13:08AM
Im sure that last fight helped bring Brock back down to earth and understand he still has a way to go in this sport before he will be champion

McCully will be made of an example of

Brock TKO (GNP Round 1)
Kpro
2/23/08 10:58:22AM

Posted by roman

Posted by Kpro

Lesnar will kill him, KILL HIM, easily in the first. McCully doesn't have the heart or submission skills Mir has. Not interesting like the Mir fight, this is a no brainer!!!! Lesnar is too strong and he will GnP McCully into the mat.

Since this is not an interesting matchup roman; who exactly did you expect them to pair Lesnar with coming off of a loss?
CornishMMA
2/23/08 11:02:42AM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by jae_1833

Too true, Too true

Except its totally beyond the realms of possibility, McCully has no chance in this fight, he nearly got armbarred by Hardonk ffs!

Biggest sure thing in MMA in a long while imho, il laugh if its anything less than 99% picking him on here

I think they could of matched him up with someone else that could have been better, Hardonk actually would have been better as he may have put some hurt on Brock with his kicks before he got taken down and pounded out, not many other "cans" they could have matched him up with tho, maybe Scott Junk? I dont blame Joe Silva for playing it safe tho
Boo_Radley21
2/23/08 11:57:39AM
Lesnar is going to destroy McCully.
nickcuc547
2/23/08 11:57:53AM
this is a good matchup for brock, he is obviously not ready to fight a top notch guy so give him a chance at a middle of the road guy. brock only has two fights, most guys arent able to hang with somebody like mccully in their third professional fight.
Sir_Karl
2/23/08 1:29:04PM
More than likely a win for Lesnar. McCully is a pretty tough rugged dude, he is experienced and crafty. I just don't see him withstanding the onslaught.
I am not sure Mir would have took much more if referee Steve Mazzagatti didn't curiously break them and stand them up as he warned Lesnar for striking to the back of the head. You hear Big John McCarthy all the time..."watch the back of the head...watch the back of the head" etc. 2 strikes and Mazzagatti separates them and stands them up?
I like Mazzagatti and think he is one of the best, but I believe he "dropped the ball" on that one.
I would have put Lesnar against Eddie Sanchez!
D0wnUnd6e6r
2/23/08 2:42:47PM
Now if lesnar looses this one, he shouldn't be fighting in the UFC
roman
2/23/08 3:34:07PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by roman

Posted by Kpro

Since this is not an interesting matchup roman; who exactly did you expect them to pair Lesnar with coming off of a loss?

Well Lesnar showed he can fight, I would give him herring, a all around good fighter. Or Vera would be a very interesting matchup. I think Big Tim would also be a extremely interesting fight. Someone with good striking and ok submissions. I think Lesnar wins any of the fights I just came up with and they are WAY more interesting then Justin McCully.

A Justin McCully fight just isn't intriguing in the slightest. Lesnar, although he lost, showed he can destroy people.
Kpro
2/23/08 6:28:17PM
I disagree with your picks on who to pair him up with 100%. He loses to Mir, so you expected them to pair him up with Vera or Sylvia, 2 guys who beat Mir?

That is horrible matchmaking.

Herring is the only one I could understand. Lesnar needs to get a few wins under his belt before they toss him top 10 talent.
cmill21
2/23/08 6:50:09PM
I can't see why anyone would think this is anything but a good match up for Lesnar. Why would they spend 250k a fight on a guy and keep throwing him against people who are more skilled then him and not let him develop in a real fight? Lesnar needs to be fighting guys who are not that skilled, because theres no one in the UFC with as little experience as himself. Once he has a few wins under his belt and has shown he can hang with JJ and strikers alike he will be in a position to get more and more top 10's and show his doubters that he can become a great mma fighter and shed his WWE status.
bezun
2/23/08 8:35:38PM
Here is my take on this. It is the same deal that they were doing with Huerta and Bispbing where they just build up their record with lesser known/lower talent fighters. Hell, Gan magee would have been more credible. Whammy!
Tein_Lung
2/23/08 9:16:13PM
i bet Brock stops him in the first minute to be honest... we can thank the UFC for showing us an undercard fight on the ppv
McBee
2/23/08 9:24:49PM

Posted by Tein_Lung

i bet Brock stops him in the first minute to be honest... we can thank the UFC for showing us an undercard fight on the ppv

this whole conversation is retarded because he just said they were talking about it, did not even sound like high level talks just "it would be cool if it happened" talk so slow your roll
bls1919
2/23/08 11:30:14PM
I like McCully and think his is a decent fighter but he better hope he can last a little while to try and let the big mans big muscles wear him down. If he doesnt he is toast
Pages: [1] 2