7/28/08 5:33:51PM
Who you picking? I'm going with Lesnar.
Jlloyd
7/28/08 5:34:47PM
tough call

i think Herring might sub him
jiujitsufreak74
7/28/08 5:40:32PM
i have been struggling with this pick since it was announced. i absolutely hate that it is the hot bout and it is killing me. i just can't pick Lesnar. i can't bring myself to pick him after only 2 professional fights. HH is now training at Xtreme Couture, seems to be getting his act together and i guarantee you he will have a good game plan. i just think that HH will be able to weather the storm that is Brock's starting onslaught and get a TKO over a tired Brock in the 2nd.
ThaAxeMurderer7
7/28/08 5:46:53PM
I gotta go with Herring. Right now I have Herring by sub in the 3rd but that will probably change b/c I don't see it going 3. He may knock him out in the first or second. Just the 3 main fights make this card sick!
Twenty20Dollars
7/28/08 5:49:30PM
Going with lesnar
juanez13
7/28/08 6:01:53PM
Yea I'm going with Lesnar, he's being working on his sub defence, which IMO is the most important part right now. Herring is counting on his ability to scramble his way off the bottom ala his fight against Kongo, and I just dont think he can shake off a wrestler the caliber of Lesnar. Kongo took him down at will, and Lesnar wont have much trouble in doing so, so i think he either TKO's Herring (very hard) or wins a UD.

Although I am very worried that Lesnar will catch a head kick or a Knee in the later rounds when he is a bit more tired. I got a feeling this might turn out to be like Herring vs Erikson, herring gets beat up on the ground for a round or two, and he gets "mad" cus he hasnt been able to do much, so at the start of the round he just goes crazy firing off big shots and he might catch a tired Lesnar and put him down.
SpiderSilva
7/28/08 6:44:54PM
Im going with the Shark beater I mean come on lets nut forget if mazablows- bad-calls-left-and-right he had Mir just about beat even Mir said he almost lost before the stopage so I think Lesnar slams HH and pounds him into next week although it all depends on how composed he can stay he was a little reckless in the Mir fight
jimmypockets
7/28/08 7:11:50PM
I think Herring is the logical choice. He has a wealth of experience. The only way I see him getting beat is if he lets Lesnar overwhelm him quickly. I believe you are going to see a gassed Lesnar if it makes it past the first. Herring can only beat himself. Lesnar is kinda the opposite of Kimbo. He really has no credibility in MMA but he has a huge name. Kimbo however, gets his opponents handpicked for him where as Lesnar has had a tough road so far. I personally would like to see Lesnar fight low level guys and work himself up. I mean he has 2 professional fights but under 2 minutes of actual experience.
Jackelope
7/28/08 7:16:29PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Im going with the Shark beater I mean come on lets nut forget if mazablows- bad-calls-left-and-right he had Mir just about beat even Mir said he almost lost before the stopage so I think Lesnar slams HH and pounds him into next week although it all depends on how composed he can stay he was a little reckless in the Mir fight

Never once have I seen an interview or article where Mir said he "almost lost". I have seen several in which he was saying Lesnar was on top of him hitting him very hard, but he never said he was about to lose. I'd love to see a source on this. Otherwise it's just paraphrasing in your own words and not doing Mir any justice IMO.

That being said I find it hard to lend credibility to a fighter who is fighting top competition with 0 wins against quality opponents on his record.
NewGuy
7/28/08 7:21:45PM
I am going with Herring. I think Herring can withstand the initial onslot from Brock. I think he will submit Brock in the 2nd or 3rd, I keep going back and forth between those two rounds. Brock will punch himself out and his already poor submission defense will become no submission defense.

Of course I will change my pick to Brock R1 KO if Heath showes up at the weigh ins out of shape.

casketcoin
7/28/08 7:25:43PM

Posted by NewGuy

I am going with Herring. I think Herring can withstand the initial onslot from Brock. I think he will submit Brock in the 2nd or 3rd, I keep going back and forth between those two rounds. Brock will punch himself out and his already poor submission defense will become no submission defense.

Of course I will change my pick to Brock R1 KO if Heath showes up at the weigh ins out of shape.

i agree with how you got it going at first....Herring will keep his distance and use his reach for striking...after maybe a take down or a round or two he will submit Lesnar
cmill21
7/28/08 7:34:01PM
I think Herring will put Brock down. Training with Rob Kaman is awsome and Herring isn't that much smaller then Brock. If he can avoid the take down(he used to be a good wrestler) I think he'll put him down.
npayant
7/28/08 7:45:52PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i have been struggling with this pick since it was announced. i absolutely hate that it is the hot bout and it is killing me. i just can't pick Lesnar. i can't bring myself to pick him after only 2 professional fights. HH is now training at Xtreme Couture, seems to be getting his act together and i guarantee you he will have a good game plan. i just think that HH will be able to weather the storm that is Brock's starting onslaught and get a TKO over a tired Brock in the 2nd.

Yes, this is a tough call. Can Lesnar finish him off early?? I say no... and think it will go down pretty much liked you described jjfreak. But I can see going to a sloppy, gassed out decision to Herring as well.

One more thing...I almost crapped my pants when you said it was the hot bout, but I checked and it's not, thank God! It is still on Florian/Huerta (which for some reason I find easier to pick!).

chitown97
7/28/08 8:24:30PM
As was already mentioned earlier I see Herring weathering the inital storm and doing enough to keep Brock's limbs in check. Brock might come out way more cautious now that he realizes any limb flailing around might get grabbed and broken, in which I could see a decision for Herring. If Brock comes out the same as he did last time I foresee a 3rd sub. Again like others have already mentioned I have been going back and forth between decision and 3rd sub. I completely forgot that he has been training at Xtreme Couture which is becoming such a factor.
casey64
7/28/08 8:32:58PM
Brock Lesnar
tepid55
7/28/08 8:49:15PM
I don't think Lesnar will be able to get Herring to the ground.
jiujitsufreak74
7/28/08 9:17:22PM

Posted by npayant
Yes, this is a tough call. Can Lesnar finish him off early?? I say no... and think it will go down pretty much liked you described jjfreak. But I can see going to a sloppy, gassed out decision to Herring as well.

One more thing...I almost crapped my pants when you said it was the hot bout, but I checked and it's not, thank God! It is still on Florian/Huerta (which for some reason I find easier to pick!).

oh good. i thought it was the hot bout...that is a relief then.

*wipes brow*
wolfman
7/28/08 9:36:57PM

Posted by tepid55

This man is insane! If Kongo can take Herring down at will, I am sure Brock will be able to.
jiujitsufreak74
7/28/08 9:53:28PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by tepid55

This man is insane! If Kongo can take Herring down at will, I am sure Brock will be able to.

in his defense HH wasn't expecting Kongo to shoot at all and was caught off-guard. HH even said going into the fight that he trained absolutely 0 ground game and wrestling. he trained solely boxing and stand up and when Kongo took the fight to the ground he was completely out of his game plan. against Lesnar, he will be expecting the take down and will train for it. maybe he will have enough preparation with Randy and the boys over at Xtreme Couture to be able to keep it on the feet. it is a completely different situation, so it isn't as crazy as it sounds to say that Lesnar won't be able to take HH down.

now, i personally think he can and will but that HH will weather the storm and capitalize in the 2nd round with a TKO.
Cdellorso
7/29/08 12:42:51AM

Posted by tepid55

You are not serious right??

i will agree its a tough call especially since Heath is trainning with team Couture but Brock is improving and is more athletic than just about ebveryone ( gsp )

Anyway- Brock will take down and mount, then pound herring till he cant see out of either eye real puches not the short range hammer fists.... then he will
scoop him up and toss him out of the cage... seriously I would like Brock to win but suppose Brock loses again.. who next?? will they give him a can?? will they give him Cain? will they let him go??
Pookie
7/29/08 1:19:51AM
i take herring, because its damn near impossible to stop herring and Lesnar will gas by round 2 if he fights at the same pace as he has in all his previous fights.

1rst round might even be 10-8 for lesnar... but as soon as the second round starts lesnar's arms are going to be shot, his Gnp is going to be severely hampered and his shot-in possibly will be slower as well.

Im thinking a knee to lesnar's chin catches him as he shoots in and puts him down, and herring pounds him out from there.
JBatch
7/29/08 1:39:19AM
I think I selected Herring by 2nd round sub. I do not see Herring being finishd off by Brock in the first. I thinklike a few people have said he gets through the first and in the second catches a gassed and sloppy Lesnar in either a triangle or armbar.
Snowstud0101
7/29/08 10:11:36AM
Lesnar does have some descent striking skills that I think you guys are forgetting about! I give it to lesnar first round gnp if it goes past that I agree with everyone else that brock will be to gassed to take on a wild HH.. I will be at the fight do any of you guys no about an autograph signing or where the weigh in will be held?? Thanks
mrsmiley
7/29/08 10:21:43AM
This is what I said on the Broc VS the Shark thread and this is how I see the fight:

I say Broc can win this but I'm not jumping on his band wagon just yet.A lot of the hype surronding him has a "eerie" familar feeling to the hype that was following Bob Sapp just a few years ago.

Heath has a lot of things in his favor imo.

1.Experince. The guy has fought Nog 3x's,Fedor,Crocop,Vitor Belfort,Evan Tanner,Igor Vovchanzyn,Mark kerr.That's a lot of experince coming into this fight.

2. Grappling. Okay okay.Most people think Jake O brian and Check kongo and have a consenceses Herrings ground game sucks.Not true.
We are talking about a guy who took out a still very dangerous Mark Kerr KTFO of him once the fight was stood back up.If Heath can tie up Broc from the bottom,we could see the same thing.

3.Most people forget how fast Heath can turn a fight in his favor.I think a lot of people have just seen his lost to Fedor on paper,and just consider it another notch under the Russians belt.Very few people seem to remember Heath reversed posisitons and at the end of the first round and was reigning down "UNASWERED" knees to Fedors skull.The fight was ended because Heath looked like a pop corn kernal,but still the point was made.Heath can suprise anyone and turn the odds in his favor at any moment in a fight.

1.He did it with Mark Kerr
2.He did it with Nog in the third fight,nearly KTFO of Nog as well.
3.He even suprised Fedor and was in control at the end of the round,despite losing the fight.

Broc has a lot of raw power,and is a very accomplished wrestler,but I hope he comes in fairly well rounded for this bout.His hammer fist seem powerful.But Heath can take a considerable amount of damage on a good day,and i'm willing to bet with as wild as Broc seems to throw those hammerfist,a broken wrist might put a damper on his strategy for this bout.Broc better come in 120% for this fight,because if Heath is even at 70% for this bout he will have his hands full.
cmb19932
7/29/08 10:55:55AM
i dont know its a tough call but i know it sucks to be lesnar cuz he has two top fights in a row against good guys and losing two in a row is never good let alone without awin but i am going with lesnar
copcopps
7/29/08 11:16:44AM
I am picking Lesnar since Herring seems to grind out decisions in the UFC. However I'm placing money on Herring since he has a decent chance of winning.
Boo_Radley21
7/29/08 12:16:27PM
Gotta go with Lesnar on this one.
Aether
7/29/08 1:41:39PM
tough call... I think I'll have to pick Lesnar. I have a feeling I might regret that choice and see Herring pull a RNC some time in the second. I think Lesnar is probably going to overwhelm him right off the bat but the question is can he finish him, and if he can't, does he have the gastank to survive another 2 rounds. Tough call but I'm picking Lesnar.
mrsmiley
7/29/08 2:20:00PM
I forgot to add Tom Erickson to that list.He was manhandling Herring until Heath finished it.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
7/29/08 2:20:12PM
I think brock will take down heath and tko him within the first 2 minutes. Heath will get taken down right away guaranteed. I don't see heath getting a sub off his back. I don't understand why people say brock will gas. Have you seen his work out regime? With 4 minutes of pro experience, its inaccurate to predict an athlete of his quality gassing.
Pages: [1] 2