Brock Lesnar Vs. Frank Mir brief Breakdown

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Brock Lesnar Vs. Frank Mir brief Breakdown
Next Page »
POLL: Who do you believe will win?
Brock Lesnar 44% (28)
Frank Mir 56% (35)
JeremiahD84
11/6/07 3:08:21PM
Well Frank Mir is 10-3

Brock Lesnar is 1-0

All 3 of Franks losses are to strikes
7 of his 10 wins are by submission, 1 by DQ, 1 by decision, 1 by strikes

Lesnars 1 win is technically a submission. Min soo kim submitted to strikes...

I honestly think Lesnar is going to win this one. Frank Mir has the better record, however I think Lesnar is simply going to over power and out wreslte mir, then ground and pound him.
faille
11/6/07 3:11:47PM
I guess I'm the only one going for Mir.
DNor
11/6/07 3:32:11PM
Ill take Mir, I do not think he will be able to put Brock in a quick submission, Brock is really strong and gut his way out of early submission attempts. I'll say Mir Sub's Brock in the 3rd.
Mastodon2
11/6/07 3:47:56PM
I'm gonna take Lesnar for this one. Given that Mir is probably still not in great condition, Brock should be able to overpower him and wear him out. I don't know if Brock will be able to GnP him out, Mir might well be able to hold on from the bottom and ride the fight out.

Brock's strength will only get him so far though, and against guys like Nogueira it certainly won't be enough to avoid a submission. Brock is still largely and unknown quantity though, and the real question is wether or not he has developed the skills that will give him a chance to go far in the UFC.
edge0125
11/6/07 4:02:00PM
Ok heres how the fight is going to go.

Brock will take mir down. Mir will then either submit Brock, or he will go for million different submision and end up gassing; which then Brock will pound his way into a victory.

If the fight remains standing the whole time; then mir will end up gassing before the third round and then Brock will pound his way to victory.

IMO Mir is going to submit Brock in the first round.
Rush
11/6/07 4:08:00PM
It's a win win situation for the UFC. If Mir wins then they can play up the fact that he is back and beat a strong guy. If Lesnar wins it is a good way for the UFC to hype him by saying he beat a former champ in his second fight.

For Mir if he loses I think he is pretty much done in the UFC.

For Lesnar if he loses, I think his chance in the UFC is over unless of course the fight is a total war.
cowcatcher
11/6/07 4:13:56PM
as of right now i have to go with mir because of experience and the fact is no one outside of brocks inner circle knows how good he really is. either way im thinking some questions will get answered here.

is brocks heart in this, or is this a stab at fame and money only?
is frank ready to be a title contender again?
is brock just a physical specimen with good wrestling, or is he an MMA fighter?
can frank go 3 rounds without gassing?(because he'll have to if brock blankets him)

i expect a decent fight, and although my head says mir should win, im starting to think that id really like seeing lesnar make a name for himself in the ufc.
JeremiahD84
11/6/07 4:15:20PM
Hmm, I think Lesnar would have to lose extremely badly for his chances in the UFC to be over.

For instance, what if Lesnar loses, but he keeps pace with Mir pretty well and loses just barely by decision.
I think even that narrow loss will look good for Brock.

Plus as we all know, UFC is fond of giving people several attempts to prove themselves....

Just look at Chris Leben.... I mean come on the guy CRIED on Ultimate Fighter and got a second chance. then lost and cried again, lol!
rcg916
11/6/07 4:21:38PM
How are you going to break down a fight that features a guy who has really never been seen in combat?

More speculation. Wow, there's not enough of these threads around, we really needed one more...

TOMMYAYO05
11/6/07 4:21:56PM
Lesnar!!!point blank is way too powerful for mir and i believe he will come in the fight in better shape and will just plain out wrestle mir which will cause a fight stoppage or a unanamous decision going lesnar's way.
casey64
11/6/07 4:41:01PM
Brock Lesnar for this one
wolfman
11/6/07 4:56:57PM

Posted by rcg916

How are you going to break down a fight that features a guy who has really never been seen in combat?

More speculation. Wow, there's not enough of these threads around, we really needed one more...

Couldn't agree with you anymore....
JeremiahD84
11/6/07 5:23:35PM
I hardly think it's beating a dead horse....
it's a hot issue in the MMA world.

I believe too many people are dismissing Lesnar simply because he only has 1 fight under his belt. I don't believe that means anything.
There are people who are natural and gifted fighters, with superior ability and then their are others who have to work hard at developing ability.

If Lesnar is one of those naturally gifted athletes with a good defense instinct, he could easily tear Frank Mir apart.

Besides... I don't think Franks Mirs BJJ is all that great anyway.

ooo, wow, he brok Sylvias arm, big deal, Tim Sylvia is a Giant Turd....
fedorwins1
11/6/07 5:47:44PM
Mir will get the sub. He's way better than Lesnar on the ground, Lesnar has wrestling; that's it. Mir has a whole skill set.
JeremiahD84
11/6/07 5:52:57PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Mir will get the sub. He's way better than Lesnar on the ground, Lesnar has wrestling; that's it. Mir has a whole skill set.

Lesnar has 4 months. I believe thats plenty of time to improve greatly in an area, with deep dedication. I just think it's foolish to dismiss Lesnars BJJ defense... when we've never seen how he does against BJJ.
In fact his strong wrestling background is going to provide an excellent base against BJJ techniques as it is....
fedorwins1
11/6/07 6:16:12PM

Posted by JeremiahD84

Posted by fedorwins1

Lesnar has 4 months. I believe thats plenty of time to improve greatly in an area, with deep dedication. I just think it's foolish to dismiss Lesnars BJJ defense... when we've never seen how he does against BJJ.
In fact his strong wrestling background is going to provide an excellent base against BJJ techniques as it is....

4 months? So what Mir has been training for YEARS. You're not going to get great BJJ or striking in 4 months.
rcg916
11/6/07 6:16:39PM

Posted by fedorwins1

And, how do you know this?

Truth be told, nobody knows what Lesnar is capable of, good or bad. Enough with the "he only has wrestling" crap. You (and the rest of the people clinging to that) have no way of knowing that.

fedorwins1
11/6/07 6:17:33PM

Posted by rcg916

Posted by fedorwins1

And, how do you know this?

Truth be told, nobody knows what Lesnar is capable of, good or bad. Enough with the "he only has wrestling" crap. You (and the rest of the people clinging to that) have no way of knowing that.

If Lesnar wins, I will give him respect. But as of right now, the only thing he has shown is wrestling.
rcg916
11/6/07 6:18:36PM

Posted by fedorwins1

4 months? So what Mir has been training for YEARS. You're not going to get great BJJ or striking in 4 months.

Hate to break it to you, but Lesnar has been training strictly for MMA for about the last year and a half. That's 18 months, not 4.

Posted by fedorwins1

If Lesnar wins, I will give him respect. But as of right now, the only thing he has shown is wrestling.

In his 45 seconds in the ring? People, dont be afraid to wait and see on a fighter. I know everyone wants to be an expert, but... lets face it. We arent.
fedorwins1
11/6/07 7:07:28PM
Like I said, if he wins I'll give him respect, but as of right now Mir is the superior fighter IMO.
cmill21
11/6/07 7:12:59PM
I personally think Lesnars debut would have gone muuuuuuch differently had he faced choi. He faced a middle of the pack MW. He has not earned anything yet. I seriously beleive if the UFC wants more exciting fights they signed the wrong guy.
rcg916
11/6/07 7:35:48PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Like I said, if he wins I'll give him respect, but as of right now Mir is the superior fighter IMO.

Keep your comments non-personal... Im not some kid here... Obviously you are.
fedorwins1
11/6/07 7:50:00PM

Posted by rcg916

Posted by fedorwins1

Keep your comments non-personal... Im not some kid here... Obviously you are.

kevietre
11/6/07 10:50:18PM
After UFC 61 Mir's gut was hanging out and he gassed in the 2nd round.

After UFC 74 Mir easily and quickly submitted Hardonk and then said "I'm Back!"

Lesnar might be the one who get's the F5
mrsmiley
11/7/07 5:34:42AM
I think this is a win win situation for Lesnar.If he can put on a good fight,even if he loses,he lost to a seasoned UFC veteran.If he wins,then he took a guy he was once considered an elite UFC fighter.I think if Mir comes out and puts on a lacksluster performance,win or lose,I don't know how much of a future he will have in the UFC.
ohiostate1016
11/8/07 9:19:41AM

Posted by cowcatcher

is brocks heart in this, or is this a stab at fame and money only?

What do you mean is it a stab at money?? He had a 7 figure deal on the table to go back to WWE before he left. Many say that the contract Vince wanted him to sign would have made him the highest paid wrestler ever. Yeah, ever. And wrestlers (at least in the WWE) get paid waaaaay more than they do in MMA. Most contracts of big-name talent are in the $3-4 mil range.

Plus, he had a lot more fame in wrestling, becuase they could make him famous if they wanted. They could make him champ and make him seem unbeatable (which they did). His popularity, if anything, has diminished since he left WWE.
KYGUY07
11/8/07 10:24:40AM
lesnars a beast he will run over mir.
rcg916
11/8/07 1:20:49PM
There isnt a wrestler alive making 3-4 million a year. (talking strictly pay from WWE, not including merch/endorsements, etc)

Even Orton, with his familial ties and his upper card spot, only gets a million a year.

Big Show and Mark Henry have the distinction of the biggest wrestling contracts to date, at 10 year - 10 million. Yes. Mark Henry, God help us.

Lesnar was reportedly offered the "modern version" of that contract, at 10 year - 20 million, which he turned down.

Truth be told, he hated the wrestling lifestyle (travelling 300 days a year, etc..)

He's an athlete that still wants to compete. Plain and simple.

After all, show me another guy that weighs nearly 300 pounds (when he was wrestling) with a near 40 inch vertical leap. He is an athlete, and a damn good one. Cant wait to see how he does.
mrliquid
11/8/07 1:35:54PM
i'm taking Mir he has a ton more experience in the octagon and he has handled big guys before maybe not with brocks power I think he will wear him out standing up and if it goes to the ground Mir has the advantage in submissions
szucconi
11/8/07 1:57:16PM

Posted by rcg916

There isnt a wrestler alive making 3-4 million a year. (talking strictly pay from WWE, not including merch/endorsements, etc)

Even Orton, with his familial ties and his upper card spot, only gets a million a year.

Big Show and Mark Henry have the distinction of the biggest wrestling contracts to date, at 10 year - 10 million. Yes. Mark Henry, God help us.

Lesnar was reportedly offered the "modern version" of that contract, at 10 year - 20 million, which he turned down.

Truth be told, he hated the wrestling lifestyle (travelling 300 days a year, etc..)

He's an athlete that still wants to compete. Plain and simple.

After all, show me another guy that weighs nearly 300 pounds (when he was wrestling) with a near 40 inch vertical leap. He is an athlete, and a damn good one. Cant wait to see how he does.

Lesner has size and he has shown himself to be a natural athlete, but my contention is that size can take you a long way in wrestling at heavy weight or in the WWE for that matter. He has yet to show heart. Thats something that can make or break you in MMA. Maybe Lesner has it and maybe he doesn't, but we will find out. I do know he didn't like the WWE so he quit. He also quit the NFL although some would say due to injury, I would say who doesn't get injured in the NFL. If I had to call it now, I would say when Lesner faces a descent striker he will fold. Mir might not have the standup to beat him on the feet and Lesner will likely look for the takedown anyway so Lesner won't get exposed yet. Mir doesn't mind working from bottom so he will go with that. I think the only way Lesner wins is if Mir can't adjust to the largeness of Lesner. That’s a big if. Lesner is a special combo of big and strong that Mir might have some trouble training for. This is Mir's match to lose. With Lesner's background he has potential, but he needs to show me something before I give him credit. He needs to face adversity in the ring so I can see how he handles it. A tough fought loss shows a lot more about a fighter then an easy win.
Pages: [1] 2