Brock Lesnar's first possible matchup (rumor)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Brock Lesnar's first possible matchup (rumor)
Next Page »
pv3Hpv3p
10/23/07 4:13:22PM
Just came across this article... It's short and sweet, but says that Brad Imes was contacted to possibly be Brock's first opponent in Fed 08...

Take it for what it's worth, but I thought I'd through it out there...

This is actually a much tougher fight than I'd thought they'd start him out with, and might actually be a good one... Imes by gog anyone?

SOURCE
Pitbull09
10/23/07 4:21:48PM
Im glad its not some completely easy fighter. He didnt deserve the contract in the first place so now he should prove all the smack hes been talking by beating fighters that arnt push overs.
ohiostate1016
10/23/07 4:29:28PM
Brad Imes? Are you kidding me? A big, slow guy that has little to no talent? It's obvious that the UFC wants to give fans a show, when Brock takes down the "giant." It reminds me of UFC 8: David vs. Goliath. They pitted little guys against a bunch of no talent big guys so that they would have a bunch of upsets.

Imes' last fight in the UFC was a loss to Heath Herring. Anybody that loses to Heath Herring should be ashamed of themselves. He's 8-3, by the way, with no notable wins. His only notable fights are his 3 losses (Herring, Dan Christison, Rashad Evans).
tap_or_snap
10/23/07 4:34:22PM
imes is a very clever first opponent for brock from a marketing point of view. A dominating performance will boost lesnars credibility and confidence.

brad is little threat to brock, i predict lesnar will take him down quickly, but his size will make people respect the win, for my money brock will take imes down straight away and pound him out.

voila instant respect for brock, and all just by feeding him a 6ft 7 260lb takedown dummy.
Daddyprimetime
10/23/07 4:35:14PM
Yeah I wouldn't really consider Imes a decent fighter. If anything they are bringing Imes in so Lesnar can get a win in his Octagon debut.
tuvok500
10/23/07 4:40:45PM
i will wait to see it for myself before counting Brad out.

lesnar will be in his first fight and everything can happen.

tap_or_snap
10/23/07 4:43:36PM

Posted by tuvok500

most definetly, brock could easily get kocked the f£%k out but imes is about as sensible first opponet that there is for lesnar.
three_days_of_grey
10/23/07 4:48:15PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Brad Imes? Are you kidding me? A big, slow guy that has little to no talent? It's obvious that the UFC wants to give fans a show, when Brock takes down the "giant." It reminds me of UFC 8: David vs. Goliath. They pitted little guys against a bunch of no talent big guys so that they would have a bunch of upsets.

Imes' last fight in the UFC was a loss to Heath Herring. Anybody that loses to Heath Herring should be ashamed of themselves. He's 8-3, by the way, with no notable wins. His only notable fights are his 3 losses (Herring, Dan Christison, Rashad Evans).

Who is he supposed to fight? Big Nog? Cro Cop? Come on, don't make me defend Brock Lesnar, but the man has only one pro MMA fight. Whether or not he deserves to be in UFC is irrelevant because fact is, he's here.
Also, about Herring, I seem to recall Big Nog laid out on the canvas counting the birdies flying around his head from a Herring kick. If it was any ref other than Yves LaVigne the fight would have been stopped. BJM has stopped fights for less.
I think Imes would be a good fight for Lesnar. Better yet, bring back Justin Eilers who has won 9 out his last 10 fights since the Vera KO and also has a wrestling background.

-OUT-
Gladiator
10/23/07 4:50:35PM

Posted by tuvok500

he will be in his first UFC fight, but i dont think that will affect him negatively. he dominated that guy in k-1, and ya i know his first opponent wasnt high caliber but he was a jiu-jitsu guy and lesnar handled him with ease. i think people are seriously underestimating lesnar due to his lack of MMA experience. Imes is all standup and unless lesnar has a really weak chin and Imes lands a shot right on the button... i see lesnar walking away with a dominant victory.
tuvok500
10/23/07 4:56:33PM

Posted by Gladiator

Posted by tuvok500

he will be in his first UFC fight, but i dont think that will affect him negatively. he dominated that guy in k-1, and ya i know his first opponent wasnt high caliber but he was a jiu-jitsu guy and lesnar handled him with ease. i think people are seriously underestimating lesnar due to his lack of MMA experience. Imes is all standup and unless lesnar has a really weak chin and Imes lands a shot right on the button... i see lesnar walking away with a dominant victory.

i agree about lesnar being the favorite but it is still an mma fight, and everything can happen specialy if you have not many experience in an octogon.

that's why i say that i will wait to see it before giving the win to lesnar !!

loller90278
10/23/07 4:58:01PM

Posted by Gladiator

Posted by tuvok500

the shark is pure judo. judo that hes never been able to transition to MMA because quite frankly he stinks. i expect this fight to be closer than people assume.
tap_or_snap
10/23/07 5:06:18PM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by Gladiator

Posted by tuvok500

the shark is pure judo. judo that hes never been able to transition to MMA because quite frankly he stinks. i expect this fight to be closer than people assume.

come on you cant say kim's judo stinks, hes a olympic silver medalist for gods sake, a more apprpiate description would be that he has not been able to translate his success in judo over into mma.
babalu2720
10/23/07 5:13:52PM
I agree and think that Brock will pound out Imes and it might be a little harder than some of us think, but Lesnar will immeadetly take Imes down after he eats 1 punch and finish him from there
Pyrenus
10/23/07 5:29:10PM
Well, I think we can all agree that if Brad beats him, Lesnar probably has no business in MMA.

This has been set up as a spotlight for Lesnar to make a big splash.
nickcuc547
10/23/07 6:44:24PM
how is brocks bjj, because thats the only thing imes has going for him, brock will probably over power him but he could possibly get caught in a dumb sub.
rcg916
10/23/07 7:29:45PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Fighter bashing again? That's all this guy does.

Cheer up, man. It's actually okay to watch the sport and not think that you could do it all better.

The_Grim_Reaper
10/23/07 9:50:51PM
i some how doubt it's imes, i just don't think hes coming back to the ufc any time soon
cmill21
10/23/07 10:04:33PM
With whats been happening I could see Imes winning, out of either dumb luck or the fact that Min Soo Kim is not a stellar opponent and Brock's not going to be good at mma.
ButterBalls
10/23/07 10:51:57PM
I'm calling Lesnar by brutal ground and pound if this fight happens.
sammyd1213
10/24/07 1:40:44AM
WAR IMES!!!
Southpaw82
10/24/07 2:15:42AM
Imes showed in his fight w/Rashad that he definitely can be knocked out on his feet by a smaller opponent. But he does have the ability to go the distance if his chin isn't tested. I just can't see a man of Brock's size not going after Imes' chin seeing how they are both big guys. That being said, I've got Lesnar by KO/TKO in the first. This guy is a monster, and the only one at the Miletich Camp that could come close to stopping him was Hughes, by submission. IMO, Lesnar will hold "Tim's" , or possibly "Nog's", title by late '08, but we'll just have to wait and see if he chokes under the UFC limelight, God knows a few Pride stars have.......
TheHitmanTL
10/24/07 2:17:15AM
Brock would demolish imes it wouldnt even be funny unless he pulls out a gogoplata on his ass
sammyd1213
10/24/07 2:57:11AM
Lesnar=Hype.. he may get throgh Imes.. but cant beat a top HW
loller90278
10/24/07 3:41:23AM

Posted by tap_or_snap

Posted by loller90278

Posted by Gladiator

Posted by tuvok500

come on you cant say kim's judo stinks, hes a olympic silver medalist for gods sake, a more apprpiate description would be that he has not been able to translate his success in judo over into mma.

im sorry, i worded that wrong and you misunderstood. i wasnt trying to insult his judo, hes a good judo practitioner, but i meant he stinks in mixed martial arts and he can't translate his judo in the ring
tap_or_snap
10/24/07 7:26:58AM

Posted by loller90278

im sorry, i worded that wrong and you misunderstood. i wasnt trying to insult his judo, hes a good judo practitioner, but i meant he stinks in mixed martial arts and he can't translate his judo in the ring

Okay dude sorry about that, you are right he really has been a disapointment mma wise
CornishMMA
10/24/07 8:18:08AM
Do any of you actually know what a rumor is? i love it whenever anything like this gets posted people then post about it as a fact and its 100% going to happen

For what its worth Imes is nowhere near as bad as some of you make out, he has very good BJJ so would test Brock once he takes him down, and while standing he has good strikes and would hit Brock, its actually a perfect 1st opponent to really test him, he is no eddie sanchez to cc, im really hoping this turns out to be true
MMA
10/24/07 8:42:46AM
It's a good debut for Lesnar if this is true. Two large guys who have clashing styles makes for an interesting fight.
Throwdown
10/24/07 9:20:22AM
let's just see how it goes guys...no reason to get upset when we are just discussing the rumor.

i don't know much about Imes, but im pretty sure that UFC prob paid a decent penny for Brock...who is a monster, and I can't see them giving him a matchup where he isn't likely to come out ontop.

I'm sure they would be able to at least hype this for the general public (and i don't even think that's necessarily us who talk, "bet", and choose picks every week in all leagues)... they want to appeal to the PPV viewer, and a lot of those guys are new...and they hope with brock they will get more viewers - even some of the WWE crowd.
tap_or_snap
10/24/07 10:02:24AM

Posted by CornishMMA

Do any of you actually know what a rumor is? i love it whenever anything like this gets posted people then post about it as a fact and its 100% going to happen

For what its worth Imes is nowhere near as bad as some of you make out, he has very good BJJ so would test Brock once he takes him down, and while standing he has good strikes and would hit Brock, its actually a perfect 1st opponent to really test him, he is no eddie sanchez to cc, im really hoping this turns out to be true

I dont see anybody posting about this as if its fact, just people discussing how they think things would go down if it were to happen.

And yeah i totaly agree imes jj is sick, jacare and roger better watch their backs
tap_or_snap
10/24/07 12:37:08PM

Posted by nickcuc547

how is brocks bjj, because thats the only thing imes has going for him, brock will probably over power him but he could possibly get caught in a dumb sub.

brocks been training at mfs and those guys are submission machines, just look at big tim, everyone thought monson would tool him on the ground, as it ended up tim had jeff in a triangle choke!

Brocks been training mma for the last 2 years with top flight teams, i think its a safe bet to assume he is well prepared.
Pages: [1] 2