Brock Lesnar Not Fighting Shane Carwin At UFC 108

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Brock Lesnar Not Fighting Shane Carwin At UFC 108
jae_1833
11/4/09 10:01:21PM
MMANEWS

Sources close to Brock Lesnar's camp informed Heavy.com tonight that Lesnar will not be able to participate in the postponed main event of UFC 108 against Shane Carwin.

BLOODYELBOW HEAVY.COM
Jackelope
11/4/09 10:35:35PM
I feel bad for the engineer. He wants this fight so bad he can taste it, I'm sure. Now he's forced to sit on the sidelines for quite some time contemplating what to do next.

It's one thing to back out of a fight or postpone it because you injured something, but because you're sick? I understand it sucks, I just got over it myself, but it has been pushed back over 2 months now. What is the deal??? How sick can you be??
Aaronno9
11/4/09 10:42:48PM
Sucks for Shane. Looks like hes going to be waiting a while before he gets his fight. I thought Lesnar was ill with swine flu anyways? Doesnt that take 2 weeks max to get over?
jae_1833
11/4/09 10:47:48PM
From what I know of the swine flu it affects adults just like any other flu. It's the origin of the illness that gives it it's name, it came from pigs I guess. I think it's so known because it crossed species which is rare.

I propose a thread (sticky) that lists all of the fighhters that are sick/injured and when they will supposedly be back in action. Could that happen or would it just be a pain in the ...? Another one on who won't fight wo would be nice as well....those two topics are just hard to keep track of sometimes.
StorminYourman
11/4/09 11:09:40PM
A shame.
Hope he beats this llness soon.
crushedbacon
11/4/09 11:20:39PM
Bloody Elbow article is saying its mono.....thats a whole different battle mono can take you out for over a month....no energy, exhausted, etc... Also your spleen becomes enlarged which makes it just completely insane to take part in contact sports let alone MMA.
MisterFreeze
11/4/09 11:24:37PM

Posted by crushedbacon

Bloody Elbow article is saying its mono.....thats a whole different battle mono can take you out for over a month....no energy, exhausted, etc... Also your spleen becomes enlarged which makes it just completely insane to take part in contact sports let alone MMA.

Yes Mono sucks! I have it. Once you get it, you can't get rid of it. It stays in your body forever and can flare up at anytime.
If he has Mono then there is no way he would be able to do anything, work out, train, or fight and it's completely understandable. He's a human being not a superhero!!!
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
11/4/09 11:28:40PM
bummer for Shane, I guess Shane against Buentello would be alright and not much of a risk for him but I do understand, I mean he got a title shot that has been cancelled twice now, what can ya do, wait or fight someone else?
bjj1605
11/4/09 11:52:56PM
It might be time to start talking about an interim belt if this is true. One time is ok but twice? I don't like Brock very much to begin with but this is disrespectful and unprofessional. I hate interim belts but sometimes its the only way to let a champ know that you have to defend the belt or lose the belt.
Gogoplatapus
11/4/09 11:57:32PM

Posted by crushedbacon

I was starting to think that it wasn't just the flu. Mono makes sense.
StorminYourman
11/5/09 1:36:31AM

Posted by bjj1605

It might be time to start talking about an interim belt if this is true. One time is ok but twice? I don't like Brock very much to begin with but this is disrespectful and unprofessional. I hate interim belts but sometimes its the only way to let a champ know that you have to defend the belt or lose the belt.

I am not a big fan of his either but his health is his health.
Interim belts as a rule (seem to be) in the UFC come if the champion has not defended the belt within a year.
I find this reasonable.
If Brock cannot defend within this parameter, them I think an Interim belt can come about otherwise keep everything as is.
jae_1833
11/5/09 2:13:08AM
Brock won the belt from Randy and defended against Mir already. His last fight (defending the belt) was only 4 1/2 months ago. That isn't nearly long enough to state that he isn't willing/able to defend his belt. He is talking about a defense by Feb to March timeframe, that would only be 7 or so months since his last title defense. Although not as rapid as some prefer, it's not like he pulled the crap we all see in the SF Champs, Cung Le and Overeem were clear examples of not being willing/able to defend their titles. While Cung Le has taken the right path (IMO) Overeem has yet to relinquish his title. Lame! I think that Fedor/Rogers should be for the interim title at least if not for the title in whole. Let Overeem fight or just leave the Org!
emfleek
11/5/09 8:21:58AM

Posted by bjj1605

You can't be serious. This isn't a situation like Cung Le or Overeem. If the man is sick with mono (as it's being reported) you can't expect him to fight. To say he's being disrespectful and unprofessional is beyond absurd.

EDIT: Or yeah...what jae_1833 said.

prozacnation1978
11/5/09 8:53:55AM
sucks for me i wanted to see thefight
bigox420
11/5/09 11:07:52AM

Posted by bjj1605

It would be disrespectful to show up not ready and put on a snooze fest, and putting yourself in danger not being ready. Not like he pulled a shammy and cut himself or anything.
Twenty20Dollars
11/5/09 11:08:13AM
so what will be the main event now for 108? No silva/belfort, no carwin/lesnar.

Will it be Big Nog/Cain?
bjj1605
11/5/09 1:17:06PM
I mean... if he has mono and is really incapable of training thats one thing... but as far as I've seen it hasn't been confirmed that he has mono. I heard some say they think it might be H1N1 and some say they think it might be mono but neither is confirmed.

My concern is that he is using this as an excuse to postpone the fight. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it but it just seems like a rather long absence considering the lack of injury or medical diagnosis.
nickcuc547
11/5/09 1:31:13PM

Posted by jae_1833

Brock won the belt from Randy and defended against Mir already. His last fight (defending the belt) was only 4 1/2 months ago. That isn't nearly long enough to state that he isn't willing/able to defend his belt. He is talking about a defense by Feb to March timeframe, that would only be 7 or so months since his last title defense. Although not as rapid as some prefer, it's not like he pulled the crap we all see in the SF Champs, Cung Le and Overeem were clear examples of not being willing/able to defend their titles. While Cung Le has taken the right path (IMO) Overeem has yet to relinquish his title. Lame! I think that Fedor/Rogers should be for the interim title at least if not for the title in whole. Let Overeem fight or just leave the Org! [/QUOTE

right, when was the last time gsp fought, and there isn't one on the horizon either.
Giant_Ochai
11/5/09 2:17:33PM

Posted by bjj1605

I mean... if he has mono and is really incapable of training thats one thing... but as far as I've seen it hasn't been confirmed that he has mono. I heard some say they think it might be H1N1 and some say they think it might be mono but neither is confirmed.

My concern is that he is using this as an excuse to postpone the fight. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it but it just seems like a rather long absence considering the lack of injury or medical diagnosis.

You a doctor? In fact, are you Lesnar's personal doctor? Your conspiracy theory is absurd.

edited for using an incorrect version of a word
Sir_Karl
11/5/09 3:07:51PM
I had Mono as a teen. It was one of the worst sicknesses I have ever had. Dizzy, tired, sore body and horribly sore throat. Every time you swallow it is an excruciating ordeal...BUT...I was only sick for about a week. Not sure what is going on with the Champ. Understandably he wants to fight Carwin at 100%...because Carwin is going to knock his head off.
crushedbacon
11/5/09 3:27:05PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

I had Mono as a teen. It was one of the worst sicknesses I have ever had. Dizzy, tired, sore body and horribly sore throat. Every time you swallow it is an excruciating ordeal...BUT...I was only sick for about a week. Not sure what is going on with the Champ. Understandably he wants to fight Carwin at 100%...because Carwin is going to knock his head off.

Only a week? You're very lucky. It usually is 1 month +. I had it as a kid too......fought through it contunuing to play hockey (went undiagnosed until I got hit) and following was one of the most painful things I have ever experienced.....a bruised spleen. Which subsequently hospitalized me and led to my mono diagnosis.... and over a month on the shelf.

http://www.aurorahealthcare.org/yourhealth/healthgate/getcontent.asp?URLhealthgate=11667.html
Stills79
11/5/09 6:30:21PM
He has Mono not swine flu. I can tell you from experience it sucks! Your energy is litterally sucked out of you. No way he could train right now. Mono can stay with you for a month.
BustedKnuckle
11/5/09 7:35:37PM
Bum deal for al parties involved. Sucks for Shane the most though. Does he wait or fight and he isnt getting anyyounger ya know. I just hope it happens by late feb.
Jride
11/5/09 9:37:45PM
They need to give Shane a new fight for the interim belt.
bjj1605
11/5/09 10:22:03PM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by bjj1605

You a doctor? In fact, are you Lesnar's personal doctor? Your conspiracy theory is absurd.

edited for using an incorrect version of a word

Ok there are so many things wrong with this post. First, For all you know I could be a doctor. Second, I am entitled to my opinion and don't much appreciate it being referred to as a conspiracy theory. Third, are you a doctor?

It is very reasonable for me to question the validity of his absence. As I mentioned the illness is as of yet undisclosed. Do I know if it has been diagnosed? Nope. Does it make a difference? Nope. If it hasn't been diagnosed then he is dropping out of two fights because he simply doesn't feel good. If it is that bad he needs to see a doctor and get a diagnosis. If it has been diagnosed and he hasn't disclosed the diagnosis, it can't really be that bad. Would he tell the media the diagnosis if it was a mere cold and could make him look bad? If it was a serious enough illness, such as mono, why wouldn't he say so and erase questions of legitimacy?

Maybe he is being unreasonable. Maybe he has been diagnosed with a serious illness and decided irrationally to keep the information secret. But I have every right to be suspicious and Shane Carwin has every right to be angry.

As the champ he has responsibilities, one of those is having a valid reason for dropping out of fights. I'm not sure that he has provided a definitively valid reason. Hence why I said it is unprofessional.

You could easily make an argument for an interim belt if he does not disclose more information soon.
emfleek
11/6/09 2:07:56PM