Brock Lesnar vs. Cheick Kongo in November?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Brock Lesnar vs. Cheick Kongo in November?
grappler0000
8/21/08 12:44:37PM
Big news, ladies and gents: Our own Jeffrey Lee has tracked down the "International Man of Mystery" himself, Cheick Kongo. Not sure how he did it but good on him for doing so. Stay tuned for his interview with the Frenchman in the coming days.

In the meantime, we leave you with these two little nuggets:

Kongo on Brock Lesnar:
"There's really nothing that worries me too much with Brock Lesnar."

Oooh, nice.

So, wait, are these two behemoths about to get it on?

Well, according to a member of Kongo's management team the answer is yes:

"Cheick has been contacted about his next fight. It should be Lesnar maybe in November or December."

Link
wiggum
8/21/08 12:54:35PM
i got chieck kongo by ko in the first rd...after that hearing fight i think hes coming back pissed and focused....greatly improved wrestling in his last fight and has always had good takedown d that continously improves...course, brocks right hand is obviously a rim shaker ....but kongo knows a thing or two about striking and his a big powerful hw
bojangalz
8/21/08 12:57:20PM
Kongo has ZERO ground game. Unless he KO's Brock with the first punch/kick of a round, this will be an even easier L&P decision for Brack than Herring was. Cheick will be a nice resume' builder. I'm not a Brock fan, but picking this fight is a no-brainer.
gabe531
8/21/08 1:00:15PM
Kongo WONT be able to stop lesnars wrestling. he showed improved wrestling vs hh? but thats not even in the same thought as lesnars wrestling. i think brock may actually get his 1st win via gnp finish here, if not ud again
StorminYourman
8/21/08 1:32:19PM
Brock by brutal gnp @1:20 in rouind. 1
gartface
8/21/08 1:43:22PM

Posted by bojangalz

Kongo has ZERO ground game. Unless he KO's Brock with the first punch/kick of a round, this will be an even easier L&P decision for Brack than Herring was. Cheick will be a nice resume' builder. I'm not a Brock fan, but picking this fight is a no-brainer.

Still don't agree with it being LnP. Picking your shots and doing damage is a lot different than baby hammerfists from guard. He's going to rip through Kongo with ease.
finnish_line
8/21/08 1:54:53PM

I can't wait to see what the odds-makers do with this.

5-1 Brock?

7-1 Brock?
MaxOne
8/21/08 1:55:36PM
i can't see kongo winning this.....in theory he should be able to win on his feet and lesnar's chin hasn't really been tested but I think lesnar will be to strong
nickcuc547
8/21/08 2:08:01PM
brock wins this in a similar fashion to the herring fight, but brock might dish out more punishment, kongo doesn't have the defense on the ground that herring does.
bojangalz
8/21/08 2:51:47PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by bojangalz

Still don't agree with it being LnP. Picking your shots and doing damage is a lot different than baby hammerfists from guard. He's going to rip through Kongo with ease.

Ok, let me rephrase "L&P". He'll kneel over Kongo and try to hit him with a bunch of rediculously sloppy shots. This will go on for 15 minutes, and Brock will win by decision. So maybe not L&P in the truest sence of the term, but I doubt that he'll be able to do any more with Kongo on the ground then he was able to accomplish with Herring.
Wolfenstein
8/21/08 3:00:39PM
Unless Cheik has an ace up his sleeve I don't know why he would accept this fight. It's the worst matchup possible for him. His greatest weapon (the leg kick) is going to be rendered inneffective because if he throws it he's going to get taken down. Maybe he can catch Lesnar coming in, but I doubt it.
Givershit
8/21/08 3:19:31PM
I thought they were gonna wait for Shane Carwin to rest up after his next bout or maybe even Cain Velasquez. Oh well, poor Cheik
gsquat
8/21/08 4:44:12PM

Posted by wiggum

i got chieck kongo by ko in the first rd...after that hearing fight i think hes coming back pissed and focused....greatly improved wrestling in his last fight and has always had good takedown d that continously improves...course, brocks right hand is obviously a rim shaker ....but kongo knows a thing or two about striking and his a big powerful hw

No way. Kongo is the perfect opponent for Brock to beat. J. Silva knows what he's doing in putting this fight together. Brock would beat Kongo on the feet, but the fight will go to the ground where Kongo will be dominated and destroyed. Once again, a HUGE weight advantage for Lesnar. No way Kongo wins this one. Lesnar, R1 Murder.
MikeyG
8/21/08 5:30:25PM
This will be the first and only time I'll ever cheer for Kongo especially after his nut slamming Cro Cop "victory" theres no one else in MMA next to Kimbo I want to lose more than Brock. You can say all you want about his potential but at the moment these circus sideshow attractions in MMA will blow up in the companies faces eventually and when the "celebs" of MMA get beaten its just a wakeup call to the casual fans and in some cases die hard fans that it was the hype. Brock losing a bunch of fights wont really affect a big company like the UFC but Kimbo is the umbilical cord to the fetus that is Elite XC.
prozacnation1978
8/21/08 5:59:23PM
kongo has problems on the ground lesnar will take this one via ground n pound
jgtribbett
8/21/08 6:21:18PM
someone said it beofre.. they wont be able to stop lesnars take downs.. the ONLY one that i think might be able to is couture and that is if lesnar doesnt shoot much..

i say GNP in the 2nd rd. lesnar
Sam_Rothstein
8/21/08 8:57:27PM
Kongo's ground game is horrendous so I feel pretty confident brock can win this one fairly easy
gabe531
8/21/08 9:52:36PM

Posted by MikeyG

This will be the first and only time I'll ever cheer for Kongo especially after his nut slamming Cro Cop "victory" theres no one else in MMA next to Kimbo I want to lose more than Brock. You can say all you want about his potential but at the moment these circus sideshow attractions in MMA will blow up in the companies faces eventually and when the "celebs" of MMA get beaten its just a wakeup call to the casual fans and in some cases die hard fans that it was the hype. Brock losing a bunch of fights wont really affect a big company like the UFC but Kimbo is the umbilical cord to the fetus that is Elite XC.

im a brock fan and i think he destroys kongo. i think part of the hate for brock and correct me if im wrong goes with alot of non mma fans saying that brock would destroy anyone in front of him. have no clue on who fedor is or nog either. just know brock and watched him beat hh and say hes golden boy of mma. i hate that fan base too but i think that brock winning will help this sport. kimbos a joke until he fights legit competition which i think would prove hes nowhere near brocks talent level.

another thing ive heard why people hate brock is because the free pass he got to the ufc. i agree with you and with the ufc on it. he was given a free pass but his name sells. kind of like sports guys goin hollywood (randy??) and they are not the better actors but their face is known and it sells.
MikeyG
8/21/08 10:27:02PM

Posted by gabe531

Posted by MikeyG

im a brock fan and i think he destroys kongo. i think part of the hate for brock and correct me if im wrong goes with alot of non mma fans saying that brock would destroy anyone in front of him. have no clue on who fedor is or nog either. just know brock and watched him beat hh and say hes golden boy of mma. i hate that fan base too but i think that brock winning will help this sport. kimbos a joke until he fights legit competition which i think would prove hes nowhere near brocks talent level.

another thing ive heard why people hate brock is because the free pass he got to the ufc. i agree with you and with the ufc on it. he was given a free pass but his name sells. kind of like sports guys goin hollywood (randy??) and they are not the better actors but their face is known and it sells.

Yeah I see Brock winning as well and absolutly owning Kimbo no question, dont get me wrong if he starts to respect the sport and not call the best HW in the world (Fedor) a pussy then more power to him, I'm actually curious to see if he can develop good standup, he broke Heaths orbital with one jab. Honestly I could care less if he got in because of the WWE thing, but look at him a couple years ago, he was noticably bigger and think of all the other wrestlers that have done steroids. I dont want to accuse him but having that background dosnt help your case against it even though hes always tested clean, but cycling roids isnt hard to do.

My only problem with the guy is the blind arrogance just because hes probably the strongest HW, he thought he was gonna just come in to the biggest org. in the world and take over with ease, and that was awesome when "Frank Mur" (like Brock dosnt know how to say it) tapped him out so he would have to evolve as a MMA fighter not just a wrestler.
gsquat
8/22/08 10:25:56AM

Posted by MikeyG
he broke Heaths orbital with one jab

Few would call that a jab.
MikeyG
8/22/08 10:29:25AM

Posted by gsquat

Posted by MikeyG
he broke Heaths orbital with one jab

Few would call that a jab.

fewer could stay standing after that
Rush
8/22/08 10:56:35AM
This fight smells like a stepping stone fight for Lesnar and a "on the outs" fight for Kongo.

Kongo had trouble with Herring and Lesnar dominated (a more in shape) Herring. Call it MMAth, but I think the timing is close enough that it is a valid prediction.