UFC 87 Brock Lesnar analysis

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 87 Brock Lesnar analysis
« Previous Page
Franklinfan47
8/10/08 1:53:42PM
He certainly has the strength and wrestling down, but he lacked a certain style and technique. I think he really needs to work on his jj before he can be a serious threat in the hw division. But, he has his foot in the door, and a big win over a seasoned opponent so good for him.

And a little humility wouldnt hurt him either. This isn't the wwe anymore brock, stop acting like a douche after fights!
Pitbull09
8/10/08 1:56:58PM
All I can say is I am 2-0 for Lesnar's fights and feel like they are easier picks.

You can see the pontential but Lesnar doesnt seem to learn quickly or even moderately at that. Though he maintained control on the ground, he let Heath roll everywhere. I can see some holes in the division that Dana could set up and make it seem like he deserves a title shot but it can be qucikly ended if he is put against any BJJ HW.

And yea, Lesnar was a complete jerk the way he acted after his fight.
Pitbull09
8/10/08 2:00:10PM

Posted by Franklinfan47
And a little humility wouldnt hurt him either. This isn't the wwe anymore brock, stop acting like a douche after fights!

Ha, it was funny cause after his interview I told my friend "I guess he really wasn't acting when he was in the WWE." He did act like the cocky jerk that he played on there which shows me just how big those guys egos must truly be.
dstlvb
8/10/08 2:25:02PM
I saw a 1-1 fighter that was vastly improving parts of his game from his previous fight. He was keeping his hands up, threw nice jabs and connected with power. He had fabulous cardio controlled the position well. Threw some very nice knees to the body on the ground and in the standup. At one point he hit Herring with two big knees and it looked like Lesnar had to hold Heath up because he just looked done. Brock was coming into his third pro fight ever after against a guy with a world of talent, a solid game, and all around skills who has fared well against the best in the world. He came in and controlled the position and landed good shots. Lesnar needed a win and got it. Is it not enough that he is improving everytime he steps into the ring. He is using his natrural ability to there utmost. Another HW did that and it earned him a top 5 spot in the world and the title on two occasions.
The-Don
8/10/08 2:54:13PM

Posted by dstlvb

I saw a 1-1 fighter that was vastly improving parts of his game from his previous fight. He was keeping his hands up, threw nice jabs and connected with power. He had fabulous cardio controlled the position well. Threw some very nice knees to the body on the ground and in the standup. At one point he hit Herring with two big knees and it looked like Lesnar had to hold Heath up because he just looked done. Brock was coming into his third pro fight ever after against a guy with a world of talent, a solid game, and all around skills who has fared well against the best in the world. He came in and controlled the position and landed good shots. Lesnar needed a win and got it. Is it not enough that he is improving everytime he steps into the ring. He is using his natrural ability to there utmost. Another HW did that and it earned him a top 5 spot in the world and the title on two occasions.

I like the Randy reference... I have not seen the whole fight.. Only parts of it on youtube... but what I saw looked pretty good.. True Brock made some mistakes.. I saw a few points he could have finished him... but remeber watchin on TV were getting a birds eye view we see things from an angle the fighter can not...We all know brock can wrestle so when the match was on he did what he does best and out wrestled Heath in what to me looked like he was giving a demonstration.. Yea I would have loved to see Brock throw some better GnP or go for some Subs.. but they are not natural to him yet... so he reverted to what he does best.. if he keeps working those skills and as they become more natural we'll see them used more.. over all I was pleased.. not 100% satisfied... but pelased.. and yes I am a Brock fan... but even I say he could have done some things better.. and he did some things great... Some good points made elsewhere is will he be able to stay as healthy as Randy has and have a carear as long as Randy? well only time can tell that at the moment.. I would like to see it.. if he keeps training hard he should be good for at least 5 more years.. maybe even a title.. espically if the UFC HW division does not add some depth or if the UFC becoems friendlier with other promotions and allows fighters to cross compete..
Pskinner_mma314
8/10/08 5:46:39PM
Seems like the theme of this one is to comment his wrestling skills, bitch about how he didn't try to finish, and point out that he acted like an asshole at the end.

My take on this, earned more respect from me as a fighter(though not a whole lot), but as a person he lost alot of my respect.

As a fighter, he showed that he learns from mistakes and uses advantages he has to play the game in his favor, lNp for example. Now I'm nowhere near his size, I fight at welterweight and I train in BJJ. But as far as my body type and size is, I am a little bigger, almost built like a Matt Hughes as much as I hate him, I use my size to control people too, but I also make a concious attempt to finish fights. the point is, he used his size to control him to make up for his lack of skills in the finishing game. He has shown that he can punch somebody, not sayin a whole lot though. But if he can push punch somebody and have that kind of effect of someone, imagine what he can do if he trains seriously in boxing.

As far as the promotion and hype behind him goes, I see this playing out alot like EliteXC and Kimbo Slice. Their names are marketable and they don't want them to face anyone who is a real threat to the hype and the $ signs they can make off them. In Kimbo's case, someone with a standout ground game, and in Brock's, standup. But I think Kimbo is safer cause UFC fans will push harder to prove that either Brock is for real or he isn't. Either way we'll find out soon enough.

His cockiness and celebration, I don't think is gonna be very cool in Dana's mind, though I have seen that man do some wierd shit so I could be wrong. I understand his excitement and celebration for his first UFC win, and by all means celebrate, but have some respect for your opponent. Almost reminded me of Shamrock v Ortiz 3 when Tito's punkass "dug the grave".

All in all I give him a B performance.
DevonFoxy
8/10/08 5:57:20PM
I agree with your assessment Jackelope. He did however look very good considering that was only his third fight. Herring was a game opponent but Lesnar already had the Blueprints to beat him by watching the O'Brien fight.

The worst part about Lesnar's fight though was his over anxious attack when he saw Herring go down from that punch. Any striker that gets hit like that and only gets dazed would have def. tested that chin because no way do you ruch in with your hands down like that. Ask Pete Sell.
SociopathX
8/10/08 11:01:38PM

Posted by npayant

Posted by juanez13

I was Impressed by Brock.

But I disagree with you, Brock did exactly what he should have done. And that was use his strenght and control to nullify Herrings BJJ, no way should he have played JJ with Herring on the ground, Herring purposely gives up his back (ala Huerta, and him against Nog) because he has very good defence and always seems to be able to escape by rolling into the persons guard, If Brock would have taken Herring's back he would end up on his back, and his corner knew that (every time Brock has mount herring gave his back).... The position he had for most of the fight was good, he couldnt throw alot of big shots because Herring was putting his face on the mat and pointing the back his head towards Lesnar so he couldnt hit him much, he let Herring choose what positon he stayed, on his back or on his knees, either way Brock was winning the fight.

As far as his stand up goes, obviously needs alot of work (alot of boxing), but he's got great raw power and speed, which already make him dangerous, especially if he fakes a takedown and throws a right. Defenately needs sme work on his boxing.

And as far as is celebration went, really dont care much for it, Lesnar is a natural showman and competitor. He still knows how to work a crowd..

I totally agree with you and disagree with TS. Brock came out with a great game plan to beat someone with WAY more experience...someone who has fought great wrestlers in the past...someone who has fought the top of the top competition. I was totally impressed with Brock last night in only his THIRD MMA fight, beating someone with as much experience as Heath. Almost every hardcore MMA fan I talked to thought Heath would be able to last the first two minutes and then handle Brock with ease. That was not the case in the slighest. Heath could do absolutely NOTHING in a 30-26 domination by a 1-1 fighter.

Yeah, his stand-up needs A LOT of work and his BJJ skills need even more, but come one... give this guy some credit!! The potential is there for him to be VERY dangerous. I just knew there would be a ton a 'butt-hurt' people talking about how they weren't impressed with Brock....blah, blah, blah. It's ridiculous...how many people come in with basically no MMA experience and beat someone like Heath?!?!

Ok, I'm done.

I agree.

Brock has the wrestling and pure physical power. His technique needs more work and i thought he pushed the fight the whole time.

When people are saying that all he did was Lay on Herring and didn't take his back when he had the chance is stupid. He did what he knows how and is best at. he pressed the fight the whole time. He thru some punches and big knees but Herring was basically in turtle defensive mode blocking all his shit so he couldn't land many punches. All in all he controlled that fight and swarmed Herring for 15 minutes.

Brock will only get better. WAR LESNAR IMO
The_Notorious_ZIG
8/11/08 1:01:03PM
I saw a bigger stronger wrestler out wrestle a guy for 3 rounds.

Styles make fights and Herring was a "name fighter" who's style is tailor made for Brock.

Unfortunately, Brock's freakish phyisical gifts will allow him to do exactly the same thing to alot of "name heavyweights".

Was it just me...or was anyone else screaming for Herring to get the roll through knee bar !!

I felt like I was watching Mark Coleman circa 1996 !!! MMA has evolved so much....this felt like going backwards.

I would like to see him with Gonzaga or Werdum next.

That was the biggest display of "@sshole" I've ever seen in the UFC. To gloat and showboat and talk trash after such a mediocre performance full of ameture mistakes and missed opportunities to finish the fight was just embarressing !!!!

If it had been anywhere, but Minnesota....he would have been boo'ed.

I'll be rooting against Lesnar for the rest of his life !!!
gsquat
8/11/08 1:22:54PM
Lesnar was a beast. Herring was a legitimate contender and did nothing to Brock. A couple knees to the thigh...

As for Brock's gloating... it sells. It sells better than someone being humble and modest. Thats why he gets paid what he does. Even if you don't approve of what he does, you'll still want to watch to see what "crazy" thing he does next. This doesn't mean I would've done it, but it doesn't make me not like him as a fighter. Besides, there are few opportunities in life to ride the Texas Crazy Horse.

p.s. Devon. True on the running in on Heath after the knock down. In time he'll learn.
tomsmith17381
8/11/08 3:39:26PM

Posted by JohnnyNapalm

Heath's face resembled Hamburger Helper at the end of the fight and his ribs won't be ready for ticklin' any time soon after the knees he absorbed and you have the brilliance to say he was "man humped"?

Good call.

Now tell us how white Kongo is.

:

haha u spot on this dude aint a clue herring got a severe beat down
tomsmith17381
8/11/08 3:43:19PM

Posted by Mr_Dead_Sexy

I remember one point in the match where I swear it looked like the keylock was wide open, but he was just using it to hold HH's arm down. And not that I'd expect it, but it looked like arm-triangles were there at a few points.

The thing that really turns me off about Lesnar is his cockyness. He was pushed to the moon and back by WWE. He was the boy there for awhile. So he was kinda used to getting it his way. I'm really hoping Dana doesn't try to market him as the face of the UFC HW division. He's a phenomenal athlete, don't get me wrong, but the arm pumping, laughing, celebratory BS talking he did in the last couple seconds, not a fan. I honestly thought Heath was going to head butt or something when they hugged at the end. I'm not saying that I'm against fighters celebrating a win, but act like you've been there before.

I really want to see Lesnar vs a top notch wrestler before I say much about him. If not a wrestler, then someone with above average TD defense. The HW division is shallow atm, almost the level when we had Eilers and Buentello as serious contenders. Here's my quick synopsis of next possible opponents.

O'Brien - Probably on his way out. This would ensure that.
Cain - Not yet. Guarantee that. Lose/lose for the UFC.
GG - Possibility.
Kongo - I don't think so. UFC will probably try to build him up again.
Wellisch - Maybe.
Coleman - If he heals/doesn't fight Shogun.
The Insane One - Won't prove much. But hey, who else do they have?

From this, Gonzaga looks like the best bet, and what would probably be his toughest fight. Never been much a fan of Kongo. His ground game has been improving, but it's still nothing to write home about.

man i knew i would be reading this poop about he is cocky for doing this and that. herring took an ass whooping im sure he can handle a bit of light hearted fun. if he didnt like it he should of done something more about it during the fight. lets not turn mma into the nfl where no fun can be had.
Pages: 1 [2]