Think Brock Lesnar Can't Take a Punch? He Begs to Differ

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Think Brock Lesnar Can't Take a Punch? He Begs to Differ
emfleek
12/22/11 9:12:04AM
As isolated as Brock Lesnar is in his Minnesota training camp, and as successfully as he manages to avoid the internet most of the time, some criticisms still find their way out of the petri dish of MMA and into the former UFC champ's world. But as he told me when I spoke to him for a Sports Illustrated story this week, the key is not so much in avoiding those criticisms entirely, but rather in knowing what to make of them once they get there.

For instance, take the oft-repeated claim that Lesnar can't take a punch.

"I think it's a bunch of bulls---," Lesnar said. "The fights that I've gotten hit, I've stood and banged with Heath Herring, Randy Couture, Frank Mir -- I've taken a lot of shots. I mean, Shane Carwin. And I've yet to be knocked out. I had refs stop a fight for a submission and a TKO, which is a referee stoppage. I've never been knocked out cold."

LINK
MaxOne
12/22/11 11:25:26AM
He has a great "chin" but doesn't react well to being hit in the face.
Lesnar1
12/22/11 11:49:48AM
I don't think anyone on earth reacts well to being hit in the face, but Brock reacted pretty well IMO against Carwin and Couture, got messed up by Cain but shit happens.
Lesnar1
12/22/11 11:50:43AM
"There's criticism. I don't know if it's just that people don't like to see other people succeed, or just if they want to see them fail."
Manak
12/22/11 12:09:17PM

Posted by Lesnar1

I don't think anyone on earth reacts well to being hit in the face, but Brock reacted pretty well IMO against Carwin and Couture, got messed up by Cain but shit happens.

id say there alot of fighters who react to getting hit well, liking it and recting are to 2 different things, no one wants to get hit but there are fighters who thrive in that moment and lesnar is not one of them, in the carwin & cain, he just turtled up & didnt do anything & couture is not a power puncher.
FastKnockout
12/22/11 12:29:16PM

Posted by Lesnar1

Sorry, bud, but I disagree. Couture isn't exactly known for the power in his punches, and Carwin sent Lesnar into the fetal position with the first punch he landed clean, and Lesnar never made it back up until the second round. The guy just doesn't like being hit, plain and simple.

Then again, I'm not too fond of Lesnar at the moment. Watched the countdown last night and I felt like he was blaming all his short comings on his sickness, like Tito always seems to do.
Aether
12/22/11 12:53:55PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Lesnar1

Sorry, bud, but I disagree. Couture isn't exactly known for the power in his punches, and Carwin sent Lesnar into the fetal position with the first punch he landed clean, and Lesnar never made it back up until the second round. The guy just doesn't like being hit, plain and simple.

I think most people without "lesnar" in their username will agree with this lmao. He does actually seem to have a solid chin, but he turtles and freezes up when he starts getting hit hard. Most high level fighters will stumble a little bit, possibly get knocked down, but he starts doing backflips and cartwheels and curling into the fetal position.

This is natural for anyone not used to being punched, but as a fighter, obviously, you need to condition that reaction out of your system.
Bubbles
12/22/11 1:00:31PM
stood and banged with Herring? he landed one punch in the opening seconds and then the rest of the fight was on the ground. anytime Mir landed a punch he immediately went for the TD. Randy has little punch power, not enough to scare anyone away.

Carwin touches his face and he turtles up. Cain punches him and we see the disco twirl. i cant wait to see what he does when Overeem lands a punch
emfleek
12/22/11 1:02:09PM

Posted by Bubbles

Carwin touches his face and he turtles up. Cain punches him and we see the disco twirl. i cant wait to see what he does when Overeem lands a punch

I'm personally expecting the opening seconds of that fight to mirror the Lesnar/Herring fight.
Lesnar1
12/22/11 1:12:05PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Bubbles

I'm personally expecting the opening seconds of that fight to mirror the Lesnar/Herring fight.

Turtleing up worked with Carwin, But I don't think Brock will have to worry about turleing up against Reem, he'll take him down and finish the fight. It's 4 in the morning in Australia and I have yet to have a coffee so my earlier opinions could have been a tad bias
Lesnar1
12/22/11 1:20:54PM
Link
Thought I'd throw this in.
MisterFreeze
12/22/11 1:28:28PM
I've been a fan of Brock Lesnars ever since I saw him rush the ring in WWE and take 2 chair shots to the face from Matt and Jeff Hardy.....
Boo_Radley21
12/22/11 3:35:23PM
I think he can take a punch for sure. Not many people can take a beating like that from Carwin and stay standing.
bjj1605
12/22/11 6:15:06PM

Posted by Lesnar1

Against Carwin he shied away and turtled up.

Against Couture he dove for the takedown.

Cain is self explanatory.

As far as no-one "reacts well to being hit in the face," my coach, Bartimus, walks right through punches without even flinching. Maybe not the best idea sometimes, but I would certainly say he reacts well.
bjj1605
12/22/11 6:16:34PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I think he can take a punch for sure. Not many people can take a beating like that from Carwin and stay standing.

Um....

tcunningham
12/22/11 11:11:59PM
i think that brocks chin is fine, he just cant handle getting punched. let me clarify. he really doesnt like getting hit, the punches dont knock him out but they take him out of his game for sure. in the carwin and cain fights his reaction to getting hit reminded me of the newcomers in kickboxing, they turn away and cover up as soon as they get hit. i suspect brock needs to be punched a lot more in practice.
Cooler
12/23/11 12:17:30AM
Brock, you told people in your camp not to hit you in the face.....Nuff said...