Brock's First Fight?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Brock's First Fight?
Next Page »
POLL: Which of these guys is Brock Lesnar most likely to face in his UFC debut?
Antoni Hardonk 16% (12)
Heath Herring 36% (27)
Andrei Arlovski 9% (7)
Ben Rothwell 5% (4)
None are likely-Other 32% (24)
ohiostate1016
10/21/07 10:57:35AM
The UFC made a big (and questionable) splash by signing HW Brock Lesnar after one pro fight, but they didn't announce an opponent or a date when he'd first fight.

I have no idea who he's gonna fight, but I'll explore a bunch of options.

1. He could face a lower-level UFC HW. This could be a guy like Justin Eilers, Ian Freeman, Antoni Hardonk, Kevin Jordan, Scott Junk, Justin McCauley, Jake O'Brien, or Wes Sims. How likely (scale of 1-10)? 6

2. He could face a guy that was a big signing, or has a big name, but has struggled in the UFC. This could be someone like Gabe Gonzaga, Heath Herring, Frank Mir, Jeff Monson, Assuerio Silva, or Brandon Vera. How likely? 8

3. He could face a top-level UFC talent. Andrei Arlovski, Mirko Cro Cop, Cheick Kongo, Big Nog, or Tim Syliva would all be options. How likely? 4

4. The UFC could sign an outsider to face Brock. This could be Ben Rothwell, Fedor, Josh Barnett, or Alex Emelianenko. How likely? 3.
Twenty20Dollars
10/21/07 3:10:27PM
Herring would be nice, or Tim vs Herring. Hardonk is you want him to win most likely.
Aaronno9
10/21/07 3:29:33PM
I think he might get christian wellisch.
juanez13
10/21/07 3:33:56PM
i think arlovski if they want to make an example of him that fake wresteler cant com[pete in real fighting.....hardonk if they want to build him up as a star in the ufc....or heath herriung to test his overall skills, i hope they give him heath herring, since he is on tough mofo
TheHitmanTL
10/21/07 3:34:03PM
im going with gabriel gonzaga
NatedawgThaM
10/21/07 3:36:46PM
He's probably going to face a B level fight like Eddie Snachez and a few like him just to get his record up and to get him some fans then to make him step up in competition they'll give him heath Herring as his first test and then maybe Frank Mir. Then if he wins all those fights I can see him facing Brandon Vera or Big Tim if he loses to "Chech" Kongo. LMAO
Aaronno9
10/21/07 3:37:01PM
Id be very suprised if they threw him a big name in his first fight. If he comes in and gets dominated by a top guy, alot of people are going to be like well whats the point in having him? Mabeys theyl just give him absolute cans while hes still building up mma game?
nickcuc547
10/21/07 3:44:10PM
i think he gets a can in his first fight, anthony perosh maybe?
cowcatcher
10/21/07 3:50:10PM
im not sure who he gets but i dont see him getting thrown to a big name right away, theyre going to protect their investment in him so they can build him up some.
TheHitmanTL
10/21/07 4:23:37PM
I think they have high expectations of lesnar and will give him a fight thatll put him on the map right off the bat
jiujitsufreak74
10/21/07 4:56:14PM
jake obrian or wellish imo would make sense. obrian nees to fight soon and wellsih keeps getting wins in the HW division save a slip up when he faced mir. speaking of nir, he would also make sense to be lesnar opponent. e is most likely facing an above average fighter first, but not anyone near the top ir at the bottom. he will start at the middle of the pack, and if he wins a couple of figs, then maybe throw him in against a big name. but right now, it doesn't make sense to do that. lesnar would get destroyed by any top HW and will probably lose to a couple of above average fighters. lesnar needs to kearn JJ or become more well rounded in order to succeed in mma.
Mayhem13
10/21/07 5:21:02PM
Herring would be a cool match-up...it will test Brock without being a total mismatch......

but I think Heath will fight again before the tentative Februaury debut of Brock
icrazysob
10/21/07 5:28:06PM
First off what are you smoking..maybe I misunderstood you but ...

2. He could face a guy that was a big signing, or has a big name, but has struggled in the UFC. This could be someone like Gabe Gonzaga, Heath Herring, Frank Mir, Jeff Monson, Assuerio Silva, or Brandon Vera. How likely? 8

I could see Herring or Silva on this list..

But..

Vera is 4-1..only loss to sylvia

I believe the Snowman is 4-4 but against guys twice his size and big names like Liddell,Syliva, and Ricco Rod

Gonzaga is 4-1 in ufc..only loss to couture

and Mir overall is 8-3 in Ufc ..

ohiostate1016
10/21/07 5:33:58PM
Most of those guys fit under the 'big name' bill, that was outlined in that option. don't call me an idiot.
icrazysob
10/21/07 6:30:02PM
First off I wasn't calling you an idiot, I'm not one of those internet losers..I misunderstood what you said because of how you added in the struggling part, hence making me believe you thought they all have struggled in the Ufc which is far from the truth
Sticksta13
10/21/07 9:39:31PM
Hardonk imo
payne8888
10/21/07 9:58:41PM
Herring sounds like a solid pick. I doubt the UFC would throw Lesnar right in w/the big dogs considering he's still relatively unexperienced.
loller90278
10/22/07 2:53:43AM
scott junk ftw. that'd be an awesome fight i think
Sam_Rothstein
10/22/07 4:51:46AM
im thinking his first 4 fights will probably all be eddie sanchez type guys
fedorwins1
10/22/07 10:17:01AM
He should fight Eddie Sanchez.
ohiostate1016
10/22/07 10:17:18AM
OK, my bad...I'll try to make my posts more specific in the future.
MondayNiteMauser
10/22/07 10:42:23AM
Heath Herring was brought in by dana to be the punching bag for the big name heavyweights so it will probably be him. He's due for a fight soon anyway.
pv3Hpv3p
10/22/07 11:27:21AM
I remember hearing that Jake O'Brien has some sort of career ending / threatening surgery... Don't have a link, just remember reading it somewhere... So he's more than likely not a candidate... But I could see Herring in this fight... Seeing how difficult it is for him to stop TD's (like in the Obrien fight), he could be a good candidate to show off what I would assume be Brock's GnP... I really wonder what Brock's chin's like.... I think Herring might put it to the test, and personally think Eddie Sanchez would knock him out.
jgtribbett
10/22/07 11:55:09AM
if lesnar fights hearing... he will win. he'll overwelm him with his wreslting for sure
xchickox
10/22/07 1:02:58PM
hardonk, perosh, wellish would be good first fights for him then someone like arlovski, verdum or frank mir
BigEvil
10/22/07 5:02:32PM
I'd bet that they offer a couple of push overs (Hardonk) for him to crush. I'm sure they want him to be ready before they give him an elite fitgher. Although I have a feeling that some of the UFC's biggest push overs would be tough for Lesnar at this point... I saw his first fight and it wasn't very encouraging but he does have tons of potential. Hopefuly he joins Extreme Couture or something.
fedorwins1
10/22/07 5:05:26PM

Posted by BigEvil

I'd bet that they offer a couple of push overs (Hardonk) for him to crush. I'm sure they want him to be ready before they give him an elite fitgher. Although I have a feeling that some of the UFC's biggest push overs would be tough for Lesnar at this point... I saw his first fight and it wasn't very encouraging but he does have tons of potential. Hopefuly he joins Extreme Couture or something.

Not encouraging? He dominated an Olympic Judo medalist on the ground, went from half guard into mount easily and had some damn hard punches. His opponent wasn't the greatest to say the least bit, but he dominated on the ground. The only problem I have with Brock is that he's had one fight and now he's in the UFC, I think it's unfair how he gets special treatment just because he was in the WWE, but every other fighter has to build their way up on the rankings.
ncordless
10/22/07 6:18:51PM
I am calling it right now... it's Lesnar vs. Cro Cop.

Cro Cop has looked horrible his last couple, yet he still has his impressive resume. Dana will throw Brock in there with nothing to lose and everything to gain against Cro Cop. If Lesnar wins, then it looks real good. If Lesnar loses than we can chock it up to Cro Cop being a great fighter.

This is about the only HW fight that makes sense for Cro Cop at this point, as well. They are spending alot of money on him, and yet right now CC doesn't have any business in the cage against top tier guys. It's in the UFC's best interests to put Cro Cop in big fights. They probably don't like the idea of paying Cro Cop big bucks to fight on an undercard.
bls1919
10/22/07 10:07:44PM
HOLY FUC!!!!!!!! I never even thought about Lesnar/CroCop. it wont happen but Mirko would kill him. He'll get at least 1 can before he even fights a Jake O'Brian or a Mike Kyle. I hate to say it but i think Dana is selling a name here. he wont last more than 3 fights. And that is somthing i'd bet my next 3 paychecks on!!! any takers??????????.................................Didnt think so!
DNor
10/22/07 10:41:02PM
What about Lesnar v. McCully?
Pages: [1] 2