Oh Please! Not another Brock thread

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Oh Please! Not another Brock thread
POLL: Why wont I drop the shark photo protests
Its not right that brock is the only fighter that gets his picture with a shark 12% (4)
I love pita - hate animal cruelty 0% (0)
I have man love for Brock 27% (9)
I have a shark fettish 27% (9)
I think Don King should be eaten by a shark 33% (11)
Cdellorso
8/9/08 9:31:43AM
So Iam doing some last minute research and tweaks, you know the normal fight day rituals and I look up my fight camps picks %. I like to write down any lopsided or very close % bouts for prefight discussion and to make arguments with the "nut huggers" for fun (everyone swings from SOMEONES nuts)

Brock Lessnar- 75% favorite in my camp-
I was surprised by this - Then I looked up the 1st fight with Mir- Mir 70% favorite

I see so much Brock hating- I really thought that Herring would be the 65-70% favorite.

What % of your camp picked Brock to win?
What do you like about Brock?
What do you dislike about Brock?
Rush
8/9/08 11:31:02AM
First I am going to move this to the UFC thread.

I think it is a combination of things depending on the person. Honestly, I never heard of the guy prior to him getting signed with the UFC. So basically I have to base my pick on what I saw from him in his fight with Mir and what I have see from Heath as of late.

Lesnar looked like an inexperienced freight train in his fight with Mir. Had he had a little more sub defense (which is easy to train for) I think he could have dominated that fight. He made a mistake, but that doesn't change the fact that he otherwise manhandled a former UFC champ (who I think is a little overrated IMO, but I digress)

As for Heath. Ever since coming to the UFC he has looked sub par compared to his Pride days. Honestly, I don't think he has what it takes to take Brock down. IF Brock has been working on BJJ, then his strength and sub defense should be adequate enough not to get caught. That leaves striking. Honestly, I haven't seen too many instances in the UFC where a good striker can stop a great wrestler (by way of striking) and Heath is not the best striker out there.
Jackelope
8/9/08 12:18:56PM
1. I don't know what percent of my camp picked Brock. I'm pretty sure most picked against him, though.

2. I like that he seems to have a blue collar work ethic toward the fight game. I think he trains hard and he's got a solid wrestling base.

3. I dislike the fact that he gets so much credit from the masses. The guy is 1-1 and his only win comes against a sub .500 fighter. (.333 to be exact) Everyone gives Brock credit like he's going to run through the HW division. I've seen threads saying "When will Lesnar be the UFC HW Champ?" I've seen "Is Brock Lesnar the next Randy Couture?" and a million others. If it were ANYBODY else, and I mean ANYBODY that came in with a record like Brock has he'd get absolutely MAULED by the masses on the boards.

I think he represents a gigantic disrespect to any fighter who's put his time in the trenches to earn his way into the UFC via a WINNING record with over 10 fights. The man gets 250k a fight, and I know that's because he's a huge draw because of his star power, but I still think it's a disrespect to accomplished fighters. You have guys out there like Keith Jardine who have amassed a winning record over 18 fights including beating the current UFC Champion and one of the most dominant champions in UFC history in Chuck Liddell that are getting paid 10k a fight.

And on a final note I dislike him because people are making excuses for him left and right. The reason they're making excuses is because they can't handle the fact that they were duped and fell for the hype. They can't see clearly that outside of the wrestling takedowns and the transitions that he displayed absolutely 0 skill in his fight against Frank Mir. Any Joe Blow off the street could use muscle to rabbit punch the shit out of somebody. Not just any joe blow off the street could posture up properly in the guard or side control and lay out some GnP while avoiding subs.

Oh, and one last thing about the Shark picture-

The only reason he's the only fighter with a picture of a shark is because he's the only fighter in the UFC who was a freakin WWE superstar and did a commercial of himself slamming a shark! Not to mention his only win in MMA is against a guy nicknamed "Mr. Shark" Until Brock earns his respect in the MMA game he won't get it from a lot of people.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/9/08 2:52:00PM
I'm picking lesnar round 2 tko. I think heath will have enough to barely make it out of round one concious. Round 2 will be deja vu of the first and heath will run out of steam. I'm no brock nut hugger either , i picked mir round one submission in their first fight.
Pskinner_mma314
8/10/08 2:57:38AM
So I bet all of you out there who thought he was all hype feel like dumbasses now.

I know I do.

Ridiculous fight.
Naturaldisaster
8/10/08 3:08:01AM
Brock lesnar is a beast. No one is goin to be able to stop his take downs. He's not all hype. The guy works hard and it showed. I think he's goin to be great. Yeah he still has alot to learn but I believe he will be huge. People dont like him because he worked for WWE. So what! People hate on him for that? He made the decision to come into MMA because he knows its better than wrestling. Im really sick of hearin people talk sh$t about him for that. Kevin randleman, Ken Shamrock, Josh Barnett, and a ton of Japanese fighters were pro wrestlers and people love them. Give the guy a break. He's workin hard to become a good mma fighters, and I respect him for that, and wish him nothin but Good luck. give him a few more years and i think he'll be unstoppable.
Aether
8/10/08 4:25:20AM
It's funny because I was defending him since his Mir fight, but now that most people have converted I actually have begun to really dislike him because of the way he acted in the ring lol. I still think he has potential to be a champ if he really works for a while to develop a good standup and groundgame. I really didn't like his antics though. =\
Jackelope
8/10/08 4:26:39AM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

So I bet all of you out there who thought he was all hype feel like dumbasses now.

I know I do.

Ridiculous fight.

I don't feel like a dumbass at all. His wrestling credentials I've always believed are certainly there and the only chance I gave him in this fight was the exact way he earned the W. By man humping his way to victory.
JohnnyNapalm
8/10/08 4:33:48AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

I know I do.

Ridiculous fight.

I don't feel like a dumbass at all. His wrestling credentials I've always believed are certainly there and the only chance I gave him in this fight was the exact way he earned the W. By man humping his way to victory.

"By man humping his way to victory. " ???

Well, Heath looked like he had been making-out with a wrecking ball at the end of the fight so Brock must have been face ******* his way to victory.

Props to Heath for being a tough hombre, as usual, and hanging in there despite all the brutality he absorbed.