British stars in ufc

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » British stars in ufc
1daveufc
3/24/09 3:39:32PM
Am just wondering what the other side of the pond thinks are boys are holding out like in the elite divison(ufc).We seem to of come a long way in a short time over the last 3-4 years.What is your views on the fighters now and how far can they go at the top level.Bisping.Paul Kelly.Terry Etim.Dan Hardy. Paul Taylor.John Hathaway. Mostapha al Turk.
Aaronno9
3/24/09 4:18:32PM
Terry Etim has the potential to go furthest imo. Id like to see Jim Wallhead get a shot in the ufc, I think he'd do well to.
1daveufc
3/24/09 4:30:45PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Terry Etim has the potential to go furthest imo. Id like to see Jim Wallhead get a shot in the ufc, I think he'd do well to.

There a kid on the new tuf Andre Winner as well ment to be a good hand as well.
EvenFlow
3/24/09 4:39:43PM
I think England has a long way to go as far as MMA. Potential-wise I'd say Etim will go the furthest, gotta like Taylor too.
wiggum
3/24/09 6:02:26PM
if the rumors are true and paul kelley is dropping to lightweight, theres some future potential there as well....and i liked what i saw in john hathaway....but the sport seems to be fairly new over in comparison to here, brazil and japan, that i think there is still a couple more years to build fighters up to before we start seeing a consistent contenders .....but theres a ton of potential tho and english fighters know how to put on a show, thats for sure
Wolfenstein
3/24/09 6:45:10PM
The UK has definetely made some significant strides. I don't think we're going to see any UK fighters holding a belt anytime soon, but there's definetely some talent that will make waves in the UFC. Pretty much the way I see it as of now...

-Michael Bisping is far and away the best fighter in the UK. While I don't think he'll be a champ anytime soon; he definetely has potential to break into the top 5 in the future.

-Terry Etim and Dan Hardy have the potential to be top ten fighters. Both are very young with a lot of potential.

-Jim "Judo" Wallhead is the best UK fighter not in the UFC.

-Andre Winner, Jeff Lawson, and Che Mills will have a great shot at making the UFC their new home.

-Wolfslair gets most of the press, but Team Rough House is a great camp as well and should churn out some top fighters in the next few years.

-The lack of wrestling instruction in the UK is making it very difficult for UK fighters to be successful in the US. Hopefully that will change.
Franklinfan47
3/25/09 12:17:07PM
As far as being classified as an "elite" fighter, I think Bisping is really the only brit whose attained that status at the moment (Lee Murray and Ian Freeman may have at one point). But, the sport is growing in the UK so I think in the next couple years we will see more british fighters ascend to that level. The situation is similar, to a slightly lesser extent, here in Canada. Fighters like Terry Etim, Paul Daley, and Paul Kelly give me hope for the future.
Dragoslav
3/25/09 5:01:01PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

As far as being classified as an "elite" fighter, I think Bisping is really the only brit whose attained that status at the moment (Lee Murray and Ian Freeman may have at one point). But, the sport is growing in the UK so I think in the next couple years we will see more british fighters ascend to that level. The situation is similar, to a slightly lesser extent, here in Canada. Fighters like Terry Etim, Paul Daley, and Paul Kelly give me hope for the future.

Lee Murray's biggest claims to fame are being involved in a Moroccan bank heist and blindsiding Tito Ortiz in a London bar. Other than that I agree with everything you said.
Aaronno9
3/25/09 5:19:07PM

Posted by Dragoslav

Posted by Franklinfan47

Lee Murray's biggest claims to fame are being involved in a Moroccan bank heist and blindsiding Tito Ortiz in a London bar. Other than that I agree with everything you said.

Lee Murray was a very talented fighter. If it wasnt for the heist he'd be the biggest British fighter around imo. Also, he didnt "blindside" Ortiz in a bar, serveral people who saw what happened, including Matt Hughes said Tito came at Lee in an alley during a fight between the people they where with, before getting knocked out. And the Moroccan bank heist actually happened in England. Hes hiding out in Morocco becouse they cant bring him back to England to be trailed while hes living there.

prozacnation1978
3/26/09 10:50:09AM
i think uk vs us tuf is a good way to start
i do wish that some brits would fight in the us like hardy or taylor

they are starting to come around
bls1919
3/26/09 7:23:45PM
Bisping has proved himself. And will try to again against Hendo. Kelly, Taylor and Etim are all standouts IMO. They all have a lot of potential. Hardy has to get a few more wins in the octagon before I'll start tooting his horn. but he did look very good against markham. A fight in which I picked him to lose. Al Turk might be in a little too much over his head.

EDIT: WAR!!!!! 1911(# of my posts). Best version of the .45 caliber handgun ever made!!!!!!!!!!! I own 2