Bring back penalty cards????

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Bring back penalty cards????
POLL: Bring back the penalty cards to MMA?
Yes 37% (7)
No 37% (7)
Maybe 26% (5)
Don't Care 0% (0)
Theoutlaw08
4/8/11 10:29:25AM
Pride Fighting had penalty cards (green or yellow). These were started so the fights wouldn't get inactive. They can be given for breaking rules, lack of activity, or not following the ref's directions. After receiving 3 cards in one fight, the fighter is disqualified. Each card also takes away 10% of the fights purse for that given fight.

I would personally like to see these come back because then fights wouldn't be able to lay n' pray or push up against the cage the whole fight. I understand those are parts of being a mixed martial artist, but I think more exciting fights would bring in better ratings and more viewers for MMA. I think it would help the sport grow as well as keep fighters busy.
Let me know thoughts on this topic.
Budgellism
4/8/11 11:15:30AM
Completely agree with you dude. They worked in Pride.
postman
4/8/11 11:57:39AM
No just learn defensive wrestling and don't get put in that position. Its the promotors job to make good match ups and putting those match ups in the right spots on the show. all I read any more is about fighter pay now you want them to lose 10 % of thier pay because their style of fighting isn't "Fun" for you to watch? Seems silly to me.
Theoutlaw08
4/8/11 12:01:03PM
Professional sports are for entertainment. MMA is a professional sport. I think bringing the cards back would make the sport more entertaining because less fights would go to decision.
grappler0000
4/8/11 12:17:18PM
A referee is there to makes sure the rules are followed and to ensure the safety of the fighters. They have no business making a direct impact on a fighter's pay. That's not their job, nor should it be.
postman
4/8/11 12:23:12PM
This is prize fighting its about finding out who the best fighter is. If you can't watch a Jon Fitch fight or GSP and see the amazing ablity they are displaying then maybe its on you to learn more about what you are watching. Do you think it is easy to "Lay N Pray"? I assure you its tough to hold a man of the same size on his back for the better part of 15-25 min.

The NFL never told BIll Cower to stop having such a good defense and throw the ball more your games are boring. Its up to the UFC to keep guys like Yushin Okomi off the main card or Nick Lentz. Their style isn't what the fans want then they won't get the exposer they need to make money through sponserships. If the ref is deciding how the fight will play out why don't we just script it so every is a finish and business will boom.
Theoutlaw08
4/8/11 12:27:21PM
How is Lay N' Pray a defense. Lay N' Pray is when you lay on a guy and don't attempt to finish the fight with GNP or subs. It's not even comparable to football. I just think if they brought the cards back there would be more action, and it would draw more fans. If taking money from a fighter for lack of aggression or not following the rules is what it takes to make more entertaining fights then i say they should bring them back.
grappler0000
4/8/11 12:40:42PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

How is Lay N' Pray a defense. Lay N' Pray is when you lay on a guy and don't attempt to finish the fight with GNP or subs. It's not even comparable to football. I just think if they brought the cards back there would be more action, and it would draw more fans. If taking money from a fighter for lack of aggression or not following the rules is what it takes to make more entertaining fights then i say they should bring them back.

Giving the ref a cattle prod and the right to use it when it gets "boring" would also work...doesn't mean it should be done though. It has to make sense as a whole, which the card system does not.
SmileR
4/8/11 12:42:38PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Whats difficult to determine is if a fighter is actually trying to finish the fight or recover from a blow earlier in the fight. Also as grappler said penalty cards directly effect the amount of money a fighter earns and if a good wrestler is dominating position why should he be punished for it?

Defensive wrestling is the answer I believe, take Bisping as a example. The guy came to the UFC with little or no wrestling experience and drilled it for almost a year, now he's one of the best defensive wrestlers in his devision and he's even harder to keep down once he's put there.

Why can't others learn from his example and stop complaining when a dominant wrestler controls them. Fighters like Fitch are known for L&Ping but after almost every fight his opponent says they've never been so tired or beaten up after a fight. What look like insignificant shots can cause a hell of a lot of damage especially from a wrestler that can control your movements and land shots.
KTFOd
4/8/11 1:11:45PM
A fighter should not be penalized finacially for their performance. Dana gives incentives to put on good fights and to finish them. You can't expect every fight to be exciting. Some will be great some not so great.

postman
4/8/11 1:27:36PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

When did I say it was a defense? Are you refering to the football side of things? All I was trying to say is people like to watch the Colts and the Rams before them and the Niners before them light up the field. But it would be silly to tell a team that they are not allowed to pressure Manning and disprupt his game. I disagree with you when you claim its against the rules, I'm pretty sure Octogon control is a major point earning asspect of the fight. Lastly who says fights going to the end are boring? Since when do we need a finish for a fight to excite? See probably the most important fight in UFC history in Griffen Bonnar 1
TeamDEY
4/8/11 1:35:29PM
Fighters don't make enough as it is, and to have 10% of there purse gone is just stupid.
Theoutlaw08
4/8/11 3:17:17PM

Posted by TeamDEY

Fighters don't make enough as it is, and to have 10% of there purse gone is just stupid.

How is it stupid for a guy that is breaking a rule. It is just like a fine in any other sport. A guy does enough wrong doing in any sport and the get fined, it's to teach a lesson and keep fights moving.
How is 5,000 for one fight not a lot......5,000 dollars to do one fight is pretty damn decent.
Theoutlaw08
4/8/11 3:20:19PM

Posted by postman

Posted by Theoutlaw08

When did I say it was a defense? Are you refering to the football side of things? All I was trying to say is people like to watch the Colts and the Rams before them and the Niners before them light up the field. But it would be silly to tell a team that they are not allowed to pressure Manning and disprupt his game. I disagree with you when you claim its against the rules, I'm pretty sure Octogon control is a major point earning asspect of the fight. Lastly who says fights going to the end are boring? Since when do we need a finish for a fight to excite? See probably the most important fight in UFC history in Griffen Bonnar 1

Never said fights that go to the end are boring. Fights where guys lay on top and not make any moves is boring. If two guys are trading blows or on the ground make moves to win and it goes to the final bell thats awesome. You don't get a card for fighting. The card is to keep the fight moving, no lay n pray.
Griffin and Bonnar, what did they do that whole fight, traded and ground and pound, they didnt lay on each other.
jjeans
4/8/11 3:56:39PM
I went with maybe, after reading other peoples comments

I understand fighters dont make enough as it is, so maybe right... Only have the system in place for main events. Just my thoughts
DeadHead988
4/8/11 5:23:37PM
Actually, this system is illegal in America (seriously). That's why Pride only enforced penalty cards on Japanese soil, never during their American shows. If modern MMA wanted to bring this system back, they would need to change it so the purse was not deducted from.
grappler0000
4/8/11 5:34:45PM

Posted by DeadHead988

Actually, this system is illegal in America (seriously). That's why Pride only enforced penalty cards on Japanese soil, never during their American shows. If modern MMA wanted to bring this system back, they would need to change it so the purse was not deducted from.

Well, to add on to this statement, they would have to fine the fighter for it to work at all. They can't take away from the purse of the fighter...there are things called contracts. If there are ever fines levied in a fight, it's not done directly by the ref...it would be decided later by the athletic commission. So even if it were a good idea to put that much power in the hands of a ref, it would still basically be impossible to do on the fly.
postman
4/8/11 8:41:14PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by TeamDEY

How is it stupid for a guy that is breaking a rule. It is just like a fine in any other sport. A guy does enough wrong doing in any sport and the get fined, it's to teach a lesson and keep fights moving.
How is 5,000 for one fight not a lot......5,000 dollars to do one fight is pretty damn decent.

Its up to the ref to stand them up for inactivity. just be honest Dan Hardy is your fav fighter he had no answer for GSP's knee tap you actually though he had a chance to win if only they took tools away from GSP to make the fight more fair for your guy.
telnights
4/8/11 9:36:08PM
My point of view is NO. The card system didn't work in Pride at all and many times was used very biasedly. The Refs in Pride used yellow cards many times favoring local fighters and fan favs. We have already seen some of the refs in the UFC and other shows being biased towards one fighter over another. Now I'm not saying all refs are bad but you have guys like Dan Miragliotta just to name one that has shown many times to be biased. Now do really think its fair to the fighters for the Refs to be making decisions on their pay? Leave those choices up to the promoter and the fighter.

Now I will say MMA rules and judging currently favor wrestlers some what but as the sport grows more and more that will change. Now there needs to be some rule changes but the yellow card system is not the changes that need to be made. I feel that if knees were allowed to the head of a downed fighter that your ground fights and stalled TDs against the cage would become a lot more interesting to most. Now as a wrestler and BJJ guy myself I love the ground fighting and have only seen a hand full of fights over the years that I would truly call LnP.
DeadHead988
4/9/11 6:40:44PM

Posted by postman

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by TeamDEY

Its up to the ref to stand them up for inactivity. just be honest Dan Hardy is your fav fighter he had no answer for GSP's knee tap you actually though he had a chance to win if only they took tools away from GSP to make the fight more fair for your guy.

You really can't assume that just because of his avatar.
postman
4/10/11 11:49:35AM

Posted by DeadHead988

Posted by postman

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by TeamDEY

You really can't assume that just because of his avatar.

How about his name or the fact he has Hardy listed with Jon Jones as his fav fighter.