BRING BACK OLD UFC FIGHTS!! TOURNAMENT STYLE!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » BRING BACK OLD UFC FIGHTS!! TOURNAMENT STYLE!!
Biggz
8/2/08 3:51:51PM
(First off i know im dreaming on this one!) i was just watching some of the old ufc and some pride and thought with all the talent there is in the ufc how awesome would it be if they put on a tournament like the old ufc and pride. where to win the tournament, a fighter would have to win upwards of three to four fights a NIGHT! now before ppl start talking shit, I know this will NEVER happen. Dana would not let it happen and to be honest i really dont think many fighters would even want to take part in something like that. a tournament just really proves what fighters have the endurance, cardio, ect.... and really just who is the toughest and has the most heart. just think it would be BADASS!!
what do you think?
Rabi
8/2/08 3:53:33PM
I would like to see a tournament but i prefer the way Pride did it over a space on 3 events rather then all in one night.
juanez13
8/2/08 3:55:29PM
The Athletic Comissions wont allow it.
casketcoin
8/2/08 4:21:10PM
Probally won'thappen. But always a good idea. That isone of the things that makes MMA different and more interesting than Boxing
warglory
8/2/08 11:00:39PM
Has anyone seen UFC 11? Mark Coleman won by forfeit because everyone else was either too tired or injured to continue. Granted, athletes now are much more well trained and are better athletes, bu UFC tournaments have, time and time again, proven themselves to be nothing more than a spectacle as oposed to a legitimate sporting event. I for one would hate to see a single night tournament in a major mma org.
prozacnation1978
8/3/08 11:10:00AM
i think now these days fighters safety is a factor, they won't let them fights more than one fight a night
JimiMak
8/3/08 11:37:04AM
Was there a reason there is a new thread on this? Do you have a point, you're arguing both sides for and against.
jiujitsufreak74
8/3/08 1:11:40PM
i would be pissed if they brought it back to the way it was, the tournament system does not work. for example, just look at this past Dream. Eddie Alvarez is unable to fight for the belt he so justly deserves and the guy he defeated earlier on winds up winning the belt instead no to mention he was a lot fresher than Aoki who had just gone through a 15 min battle. the tournament system does way more bad than good and i would not like to see it used.
mach
8/3/08 2:44:28PM
That's an awful idea, who let you think that was a good idea
MFOTHER
8/3/08 2:48:50PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i would be pissed if they brought it back to the way it was, the tournament system does not work. for example, just look at this past Dream. Eddie Alvarez is unable to fight for the belt he so justly deserves and the guy he defeated earlier on winds up winning the belt instead no to mention he was a lot fresher than Aoki who had just gone through a 15 min battle. the tournament system does way more bad than good and i would not like to see it used.

this is the perfect response. exactly what i was going for.

i think that most new fans of mma (no offense to the post starter) thinks tourneys are a good idea, because they havnt seen examples of why they dont work well.
Imagine waiting for two of your favorite fighters to fight, and having it ruined by one or both being tired or injured.

If it HAD to happen, which it won't, i would do it pride style where it happens over the course of months
mrsmiley
8/3/08 4:43:25PM
I personaly like tournement format.Espcialy how PRIDE would span it over a few events.To me it added a lot of excitement to it.
king_katool
8/3/08 7:56:59PM
i would love a tourny but again like most not in one night not even how DREAM did it, 1 fight per night but at every event, one month is long enuff to heal and prepare if not the YOU LOSE, if a fighter is seriously injured and not rdy in a month its unfortuate but its the way it goes, and im pretty sure a month is long enuff to rest up

but ye nvr gon to happen
bls1919
8/3/08 9:10:38PM
I think the current format is good. If there were tournaments like the old days the best guy might not win, due to injury in a multi fight night. Now if it were done like Dream, over the span of 4 or 5 PPVs that night be interesting. espesially in the LW and LHW divisions.