Brian Stann, military hero and new mma Captain America?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Brian Stann, military hero and new mma Captain America?
warglory
9/5/07 10:06:53PM
After tonight's show at WEC 30, Brian Stan has shown that he is not a joke after taking out perhaps his most game opponent yet with another 1st round knockout. Normally I wouldn't consider a 5-0 record that uncommon, but 5 wins, all as either KO or TKO, I have to say maybe we are seeing the next big thing.

Despite his record though, I think he really needs to fight someone who is not a can, and since he is fighting at light heavyweight, he has his work cut out for him. However, I can't remember the last time I saw a rookie with a 5-0 record where all of his wins were first round knockouts.
Scott_Revels
9/5/07 11:08:45PM
I would say yes for now. He is already a American Hero, but instead of Captain America for now he should just be called "First Lieutenant America" until he earns the rank of Captain.. Lol.. But seriously yeah.. This guy is the future, and he may even be a future champion.. When the Liddells, Titos, Silvas, Ruas, and Hendersons are getting too old to be in the title picture, thats when the Stanns, perferably Brian Stann will be the champion.
LR
9/6/07 9:28:41AM
If he works on any type of ground game, he may be a great fighter, but he has shown nothing so far other than he can beat down a bunch of nobodies who can't match his reach or size.
waylon_o
9/6/07 9:40:02AM
When that dude upercutted Stann and he just reacted IMMEDIATELY with a hardcore straight to the chin, I about jumped out of my seat! He knocked the shit out of that guy
warglory
9/6/07 10:20:34AM

Posted by LR

If he works on any type of ground game, he may be a great fighter, but he has shown nothing so far other than he can beat down a bunch of nobodies who can't match his reach or size.

For all intensive purposes, I agree, but to be fair we don't know how good his ground game is, because he has never had to use it!
warglory
9/6/07 10:22:10AM

Posted by waylon_o

When that dude upercutted Stann and he just reacted IMMEDIATELY with a hardcore straight to the chin, I about jumped out of my seat! He knocked the shit out of that guy

I know! It was so quick it was like he was playing that whole scenario out in his head and knew exactly how to react.
cowcatcher
9/6/07 11:52:39AM
the guy is super marketable, but hasnt beaten anybody, and the guy he fought last night was 195 lbs in a LHW match, that means stann likely had 15- 20 lbs on him. im not saying he wont be great but lets see him vs rhino and see what he does.
JWils
9/6/07 12:29:06PM
Stann is very impressive and has a lot of potential.

I have watched two of his fights now and I know that I like to watch him fight

But, only time will tell if he is world championship material. I'm looking forward to his next fight, whenever that might be.
szucconi
9/6/07 1:20:32PM

Posted by cowcatcher

the guy is super marketable, but hasnt beaten anybody, and the guy he fought last night was 195 lbs in a LHW match, that means stann likely had 15- 20 lbs on him. im not saying he wont be great but lets see him vs rhino and see what he does.

I agree, Stann fought a middleweight. That match was a joke. The guy is six inches shorter and atleast ten pounds smaller. It was such a mismatch that I don't know how they let it happen. He beats this guy and now he wants a title shot? I think he should get a title shot, but not because he earned it. He should fight for the title because there is no one else in the WEC to test him a 205.
warglory
9/6/07 2:42:37PM
I wouldn't say the match was a joke, 10 lbs is not that big of a deal. Should he have fought a guy who's weight was up to par? Absolutely, but you can be a 215lbs heavyweight fighting a 250 pounder and have it be completely legit.

Nontheless, the man needs a worthwhile opponent next in order to legitimatize his show at the title, which currently, is a joke.
szucconi
9/6/07 3:05:16PM

Posted by warglory

I wouldn't say the match was a joke, 10 lbs is not that big of a deal. Should he have fought a guy who's weight was up to par? Absolutely, but you can be a 215lbs heavyweight fighting a 250 pounder and have it be completely legit.

Nontheless, the man needs a worthwhile opponent next in order to legitimatize his show at the title, which currently, is a joke.

Sure, it was not all about the weight. It was about the total and complete mismatch. Both on a physical level and a skill level. Stann was so much bigger that is was funny. Billington was not even in that great of shape for being ten pounds under weight. I wouldn't be surprised if he could make welterweight.
fedorwins1
9/6/07 3:32:41PM
He seemed very improved and alot more calm than in his other fights. At first I didn't like him, but he's growing on me.
Believe-in-judo81
9/6/07 10:49:00PM
The jury is still very much out for me, but he definitely seems to have the drive and potential to be great. Throw him in with a solid mid level guy and see what he does.
Svartorm
9/6/07 11:13:27PM
I'm not sure what to think of him, ranking wise, as hes an odd brand of fighter. He's almost like a smaller, less skilled Mark Hunt, in that he just wades in and takes shots while giving harder shots. I'll have to see him against someone with a decent ground game or someone with expert stand-up before I know how he'll fair in the future.

Still, hes great to watch.
SicJits
9/7/07 10:27:16AM

Posted by warglory

After tonight's show at WEC 30, Brian Stan has shown that he is not a joke after taking out perhaps his most game opponent yet with another 1st round knockout. Normally I wouldn't consider a 5-0 record that uncommon, but 5 wins, all as either KO or TKO, I have to say maybe we are seeing the next big thing.

Despite his record though, I think he really needs to fight someone who is not a can, and since he is fighting at light heavyweight, he has his work cut out for him. However, I can't remember the last time I saw a rookie with a 5-0 record where all of his wins were first round knockouts.

His most game opponet yet.......lol the guy was dwarfed by Stann, and the guy only weighed in at 195!!! he would make 85 easy and stann cuts to 205. so i cant see this guy as any kind of measuring stick.

and with a 5-0 record all wins by ko probably means his comp was lacking. He has shown no other skills other then striking, but luckily for him the WEC's lhw division is pathetic. WEC lhw champ Doug Marshall is one of the sloppiest strikers i have ever seen, but is the champ...lol
jgtribbett
9/8/07 9:07:57AM
he is my CO and i love watching him fight.
he trains luiz pelaris bjj or something.. i can't remeber ... but his training partners arent bad.. most of them are prol fighters and one guy.. jared card is a gumby type..(rubber guard and eddie bravo stuff)
there is a lot of focus on bjj at my school and the school he goes to as well.. i'm cur5iouse about his ground game too. but i have a feeling it is probably decent.

its funny.. when he gives us his weekend safety brief... he always says'
"there is no need to fights gents(gentlemen), "
LakaiDude07
9/9/07 11:34:36PM
i pointed this out 2 of his fights ago, hes gonna be a contender eventually.
Scott_Revels
9/11/07 3:21:33AM

Posted by warglory

Posted by LR

For all intensive purposes, I agree, but to be fair we don't know how good his ground game is, because he has never had to use it!

That might be a good thing in some perspectives..