Brian Stann-Class Act In Defeat

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Brian Stann-Class Act In Defeat
DCRage
8/4/08 9:56:22AM
Haven't watched WEC 35 yet, but read about Brian Stann wrapping the WEC Light Heavyweight Title belt around Steve Cantwell after dropping the title to him. Nice class act by Stann, a respectful way to bring in the new champion.
Chuteboxer
8/4/08 10:43:40AM
Yeah I'll agree to that. Can't wait for the rubber match.
babalu2720
8/4/08 10:47:28AM

Posted by Chuteboxer

Yeah I'll agree to that. Can't wait for the rubber match.

Actually I could definetly live without seeing those two fight again. They both gassed after one round, in a title fight seriously. Stann's a great story in all, but he'd get beat down by everyone in the UFC LHW division. He closes his eyes and throws wild looping punches whenevr he gets in an exchange. I'll hold off judgement on Cantwell, because he looks to have a lot more versatile striking than Stann.
casketcoin
8/4/08 10:56:04AM
What a hell of a show from cantwell. Very well rounded and nice game plan
missypie
8/4/08 11:16:19AM
Babalu is right. Stann fell over and turtled immediately tapping without getting hit. If this was EliteXC people would be calling it a fix. It was just proof the WEC needs to scrap that division and NOT send them to the UFC. There's not one LHW I can think of in the UFC that wouldn't demolish Stann in one round.

Other than that - awesome fight card.
nickcuc547
8/4/08 1:49:01PM
cantwell could be a future star, he is a pretty talented striker and he's only 21. he would have been a nice addition to the ultimate fighter 8.
jiujitsufreak74
8/4/08 5:06:29PM

Posted by nickcuc547

cantwell could be a future star, he is a pretty talented striker and he's only 21. he would have been a nice addition to the ultimate fighter 8.

the kid has a lot of promise and potential. every time i see him fight he gets better and better. hopefully his progress will continue and he will be a big star in the future. he really exposed Stann in the fight and i can't wait to see him defend his belt.
backalley101
8/4/08 6:04:57PM
He just put a clinic of kick ass on Stann.
Mayhem13
8/4/08 6:07:14PM

Posted by missypie

Babalu is right. Stann fell over and turtled immediately tapping without getting hit. If this was EliteXC people would be calling it a fix. It was just proof the WEC needs to scrap that division and NOT send them to the UFC. There's not one LHW I can think of in the UFC that wouldn't demolish Stann in one round.

when did he tap?? i saw him go down...but never saw a tap..
jiujitsufreak74
8/4/08 6:45:12PM

Posted by missypie

100% disagree. Stann was getting hit and hit hard. from the opening minutes i knew he would lose. he was getting outclassed and eating some serious knees and punches. im surprised he was able to last as long as he did since Cantwell was throwing some nasty shots.
Jackelope
8/4/08 11:06:02PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by missypie

100% disagree. Stann was getting hit and hit hard. from the opening minutes i knew he would lose. he was getting outclassed and eating some serious knees and punches. im surprised he was able to last as long as he did since Cantwell was throwing some nasty shots.

Exactly. Stann showed a warrior's heart in that fight. I thought he was going down on numerous occasions.

As for them gassing- when was the last time you saw two LHW's go at each other like that? I mean seriously they looked like light weights out there with the pace they were keeping. Granted their conditioning isn't on the level of other LHW's out there I'm sure, but both guys put everything on the line and deserve all the respect in the world.

I knew I picked wrong 30 seconds into the bout when it looked like an overrated boxer vs. a well versed kickboxer. Cantwell did the right thing by taking Stann's heart and confidence away in the first few minutes.

I honestly couldn't have thought of a better or more classy way to be in defeat than Stann was, though. I was never a real big fan of his before that post fight interview. Now I'm deeply impressed with his own humility toward the fight game.
mach
8/5/08 4:41:02PM

Posted by missypie
. It was just proof the WEC needs to scrap that division and NOT send them to the UFC. There's not one LHW I can think of in the UFC that wouldn't demolish Stann in one round.

That is exactly why they SHOULD send them to the UFC, it'd be hilarious
BlueSkiesBurn
8/5/08 10:09:32PM
I thought it was a great match and much class was shown by Stann wrapping the belt around Cantwell. I have to agree with the comment made with regard to those two going at it like lightweights. It was a slugfest and I was truly excited the entire time. I wouldn't mind seeing a rubber match either.
Jackelope
8/5/08 10:29:17PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I thought it was a great match and much class was shown by Stann wrapping the belt around Cantwell. I have to agree with the comment made with regard to those two going at it like lightweights. It was a slugfest and I was truly excited the entire time. I wouldn't mind seeing a rubber match either.

As much as I wouldn't mind seeing it either I don't think the result would be any different. That is, unless it takes place in around 2 years. Stann got totally out classed on the feet.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/5/08 10:49:11PM
I agree but Stann did catch him with a few and barely missed on a couple. I think in a complete fight Cantwell would win in the same fashion but I can see Stann pulling off a KO.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/6/08 1:36:11PM
Im glad he was a class act in defeat because his pre fight quote " I dont think there is a Fighter out there who can punish me" was rather ignorant.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/6/08 2:54:58PM
I particularly loved how Cantwell supposedly wasn't even supposed to be able to hang with him, according to Stann.