For Brian Stann, Change Is Good

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » For Brian Stann, Change Is Good
MMAcca
7/30/08 5:59:55PM
Four years ago, when Brian Stann turned pro, he was looking to pad his resume with something that might make for interesting conversation 10 or 20 years down the road. Winning a major championship was the furthest thing was from his mind.

“The first day I started training I thought, ‘This is really cool and it would be cool to look back on my life and say I fought professionally and as an amateur for a little while,’” the 27-year-old recalled. “It was just something I thought would be a great hobby. All of a sudden I turned pro, kept winning fights and here I am. You have to remind me everyday that I’m a champion of a big organization because I certainly don’t remember it or think about it. I never expected to be where I’m at. I’m very fortunate.”

The unbeaten WEC light heavyweight champion, who had lived in North Carolina, recently relocated to Atlanta. Stann has a new job in the healthcare industry and a flexible work schedule that allows him to train full-time. He raves about so-called “Hotlanta” being a hotbed of MMA talent. Just as important, for the first time in his career, Stann has MMA coaches like Adam and Rory Singer, Roan Carneiro and Roberto Traven teaching him the X’s and O’s of technique and fight strategy. After 9 years of military service – including two tours in Iraq – Stann is no longer on active duty, affording him more time to train for his upcoming rematch with Steve Cantwell. And though Stann smashed Cantwell in 49 seconds during their first go-round, he isn’t taking the dangerous challenger lightly.

LINK
whardin19
7/30/08 6:12:55PM
Stann is a tough, tough dude. I think after he gets seasoned in WEC he will definetally be going to the UFC. A couple more years of training and he could be force in the UFC. His wrestling is top notch. His stand up is good and I think he could compete.
Wolfenstein
7/30/08 7:41:30PM
I don't think he can be anything more than a potential gate-keeper in the UFC. His wrestling and striking are okay, but nothing is world class or elite. He's a feel-good story, and the WEC likes that marketable factor. So they can keep feeding him junk (like a rematch with Cantwell whom he knocked out in under a minute). In the UFC though, it won't fly.
jgtribbett
7/30/08 8:23:59PM
i've met the man... he'll keep getting better or quit. we wont see him stop at the wec and he may not be a champ but we'll see him in the ufc
Kracker_Jap
7/30/08 8:46:00PM
I would love to see Brian Stann climb the ranks and end up with the UFC Belt
Wolf
7/31/08 12:27:43AM

Posted by luke420187

I don't think he can be anything more than a potential gate-keeper in the UFC. His wrestling and striking are okay, but nothing is world class or elite. He's a feel-good story, and the WEC likes that marketable factor. So they can keep feeding him junk (like a rematch with Cantwell whom he knocked out in under a minute). In the UFC though, it won't fly.

you have to remember until now he had NO COACH. He made it this far strictly off his athletic ability. I mean come on. He's got top notch coaches now. He's got a ton of potential. I've met the guy and watched him train. He's got talent, desire and a wicked work ethic. The sky could be the limit.
Rabi
7/31/08 6:06:42AM
Its a shame thay are giving him a rematch with some one he beat in under one minute.

This fight is a no win situation for him.
The-Don
7/31/08 1:38:34PM

Posted by Rabi

Its a shame thay are giving him a rematch with some one he beat in under one minute.

This fight is a no win situation for him.

the problem being in the WEC who else really is there to fight for him Cantwell earned the rematch.. Cantwell also says it was a fluke... So if Stann beats him again handly... obviously it was not a fluke so yea he can at least get that part silenced... The WEC really does not have some big name 205's to throw at him other then marshall again.. and well I think that is too soon.
Rabi
7/31/08 5:19:50PM
The UFC should send some lower Tier UFC LHW fighters down and if he continues to win bring him up to the big league.