Brett Rogers Police Report

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Brett Rogers Police Report
rockyf
7/1/11 4:04:01AM
Here is the Brett Rogers police report addicts. It doesnt make for pretty reading but lets also remember that nobody has been found guity of anything just yet!

FULL STORY
Pookie
7/1/11 5:14:40AM
Thats pretty intense. And if true, absolutely disgusting.
emfleek
7/1/11 8:50:13AM
Wow. Disgusting.

Theoutlaw08
7/1/11 8:56:42AM
That is absolutely terrible. I hope he can never fight again. I mean why do that to your family...... no one deserves that. Plus he beats up people for a living, why do it at home as well.....lock this bum up for a while. It's sad she didnt want to go to the police, shes lucky her neighbors heard and called. If they didnt she would be getting beat for years to come.
Bythar
7/1/11 9:37:50AM
Lets not go too crazy just yet. As has been said, nothing has been proved yet. I'm from a different jurisdiction but this still doesn't mean anything. It looks bad, but Brett Rogers isn't guilty of anything til he is proved so beyond a reasonable doubt. I wouldn't get too carried away with just a police report...
emfleek
7/1/11 9:42:05AM

Posted by Bythar

Lets not go too crazy just yet. As has been said, nothing has been proved yet. I'm from a different jurisdiction but this still doesn't mean anything. It looks bad, but Brett Rogers isn't guilty of anything til he is proved so beyond a reasonable doubt. I wouldn't get too carried away with just a police report...

Agreed. However, there *are* multiple witnesses who are reporting (seemingly) the same things.
Bythar
7/1/11 10:10:55AM
You're right. It does look bad. As you know given your agreement, I'm just saying that it shouldn't get out of hand til its settled.
emfleek
7/1/11 10:14:09AM

Posted by Bythar

I'm just saying that it shouldn't get out of hand til its settled.

Absolutely.

Theoutlaw08
7/1/11 10:17:13AM

Posted by Bythar

I do agree. He is innocent until proven guilty. However, I used to work at a Police Station in record keeping. When reports like this come in, with all the different charges, especially being a DV case. It is almost always likely it is true, plus with all the witnesses involved (neighbor, kids, wife). He is in deep trouble. In the few DV cases I have been to, the person committing the crime always tries to say "they hit me first".
scoozna
7/1/11 11:03:17AM
The injuries to his wife's face speaks volumes...
Theoutlaw08
7/1/11 11:11:36AM

Posted by scoozna

The injuries to his wife's face speaks volumes...

Sure does, you dont get random bumps from a fall or whatever.
tallica62
7/1/11 11:13:34AM
Well....after reading that he's certainly gone forever...esp since Dana controls Strikeforce...and MMA lol

They must feed Rogers to the Grand Prix tourney....every HW in the tourney vs Rogers at the same time.... plus Lesnar, Dos Santos, Valazquez, and Jose Aldo cuz I like him
One_Hit_Quit
7/1/11 12:53:39PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Bythar

Agreed. However, there *are* multiple witnesses who are reporting (seemingly) the same things.

One of those witnesses happens to be his own daughter, who watched the assault, and that's where the 'endangerment of a child comes in.
Theoutlaw08
7/1/11 12:57:30PM

Posted by One_Hit_Quit

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Bythar

One of those witnesses happens to be his own daughter, who watched the assault, and that's where the 'endangerment of a child comes in.

Exactly, that is the part that will bury him. The fact too that his children said theyve been choked by him before.
telnights
7/1/11 1:26:45PM
I can tell you from experience that children don't normally lie to police about stuff like this and when they do its very easy to tell that they are.
machodog76
7/1/11 1:27:11PM
"T.R. refused to meet with the officer and told him that the assault was her fault".
This strikes me as one of the saddest aspects of this. No one deserves a beating like that, except maybe Mr. Rogers. And for her to rationalize it being her fault is tragic. Sadly this is far to common with domestic abuse.
jlock003
7/1/11 2:28:22PM
First off I'm going to reiterate what rockyf started by saying and that is that nobody has been convicted yet. That being said, I am as disgusted as everyone else on the boards if this report is true. Based on the report it sounds like a pretty standard domestic abuse case which is sad in any situation. Now, I want it to be clear that I don't find any excuse to be suitable for domestic abuse EVER, but I do find it to be true than many professional athletes seem to be running into these kind of lawsuites especially those in combat sports. Mayweather hit the news somewhat recently with yet another domestic abuse case, Gamboa was another boxer involved in domestic abuse cases, Tyson, Jim Lampley, ect, the list is numerous. MMA has also had its share of negetive attention with the domestic disputes list with Tito being accused (although the charges were dropped), Anthony Johnson, Jeff Monson, and Rogers. It seems to be somehwat common among combat athlestes, and although there is no excuse for such an crime, it does make me wonder what types of training or programs that combat sports can impliment to help their athletes better materialize frustration or aggression.

Face it, when fighters get angry in their everyday job their standard reaction is to fight harder, be it to punch harder, sink in a choke tighter, or shoot in for a harder double leg. The "killer instinct" that these guys possess is what most of us fans tune in to get a glimps of. Many fighters obviously have a greater level of control over their impulsive nature than others, and I personally think that those guys should be praised for their candor and polite dispositions, but I feel like many of these guys with sorted histories just don't have a clue how to express themselves through normal means. Let me repeat an earlier statement THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, and I am not trying to give Rogers a free pass in any way, shape, or form. I do however think that some changes need to be made to avoide any additional negetive attention toward the sport that we all have grown to love so much.

Many of the fighters that we know and have grown to know about through promos, interviews, and behind the scenes segments have been portrayed as having had abusive childhoods where either they were personally beaten or one of their parents were. Many of the athletes we watch have been documented as having childhoods in which they were bullied or picked on growing up. These types of histories make naturally for a melting pot of violent behavior. I think I speak for most of us when I say that one of the best elements of MMA is that two guys can get into a cage or ring and fight for 15-25 minutes, and then when the final bell sounds they can embrace, shake hands, and display respect and admiration for one another's heart and discipline. The question then is what happens when that 15-25 minute outlet doesn't exist for those fighters who either haven't been taught, or simply don't know how to express their anger/frustration in any different way and I think the answer is what we see with Rogers here.

How can this be fixed? I don't know for sure, but I think that companies like the UFC, Strikeforce, Belator ect. can begin by having psychological screenings done on their fighters as well as physical screenings, and that fighters specifically with histories of violent activity outside of the cage should be required to do some form of LEGITIMATE anger management training. I personally don't have a clue what those programs would look like, and I'm somewhat of the opinion that martial artists should have greater control over their emotions in the first place than the average individual; but one cannot deny the bleed over that will naturally exist in fighting for one's livelyhood and violent behavior in everyday living. At the end of the day I hope that Rogers and all other athletes displaying vioelent behaviors outside of their respective careers can learn how to more adequately express themselves, and that justice is served in each situation.
FastKnockout
7/1/11 3:06:22PM
"T.R. was located by other officers walking by a nearby school. T.R. had obvious signs of injury on her face, including a golf ball size bump above her left eyebrow, a bump on her right 4 eyebrow, and one in the middle of her forehead, injuries to her ears and jaw, along with blood on her face and a missing tooth. She also had injuries to her neck and back."

I'm pretty sure this added with the neighbor's witness of the beating holds enough evidence that Rogers was beating her. I know she said she only fell, but come on.
Sir_Karl
7/1/11 3:59:19PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Bythar

The multiple witnesses may be friends of his wife who could have possibly talked to her before they talked to the Police...and the children may be biased towards their mom as well. Brett did say she hit him first. For all we know Brett's wife may have attacked him with a dangerous object such as a knife or gun or something. Not to mention I have seen many a report (with witnesses) that was completely bogus. I am not defending Brett but her injuries may have came from Brett defending himself or in a fall which she did say happened. All of it sounds really bad but I would bet the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Brett is obviously a much larger person and he is a trained fighter...but I have to ask what kind of a woman would hit a 265lb trained fighter first? A crazy abusive one! It sounds like they have a seriously abusive relationship but I would have to agree that we shouldn't jump to any conclusions. Either way though, it sounds like they need some serious counseling or a divorce!
Adrenaline
7/1/11 6:37:52PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Bythar

The multiple witnesses may be friends of his wife who could have possibly talked to her before they talked to the Police...and the children may be biased towards their mom as well. Brett did say she hit him first. For all we know Brett's wife may have attacked him with a dangerous object such as a knife or gun or something. Not to mention I have seen many a report (with witnesses) that was completely bogus. I am not defending Brett but her injuries may have came from Brett defending himself or in a fall which she did say happened. All of it sounds really bad but I would bet the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Brett is obviously a much larger person and he is a trained fighter...but I have to ask what kind of a woman would hit a 265lb trained fighter first? A crazy abusive one! It sounds like they have a seriously abusive relationship but I would have to agree that we shouldn't jump to any conclusions. Either way though, it sounds like they need some serious counseling or a divorce!

While it is entirely plausible that Brett was just "defending" himself at some point in the altercation you also have to determine if he used more than what was neccisary to do so (which seems to be the case). Now if he was assualted by a weapon such as a knife or a firearm, then yes his retaliation might be deemed somewhat reasonable but as of now there is no evidence that she did anything more than hit him. In LE this is called "escalation of force" generally you use just enough force (reasonable) to counter act the other persons actions. You have to look at "percieved threat" and "actual threat" to determine what is appropriate, which can be hard in the heat of the moment. When his wife struck him (assuming no weapons were involved) the actual and percieved threat were (or should have been) relatively low. Brett is a giant man, and a trained fighter so the probabilty of his wife causing him real harm were minimal at best. So it really does not matter if she hit him first, from all the evidence so far (and it looks solid) he wen't above and beyond defending himself and savagly beat his wife. If someone hits you, it does not give you a free pass to beat the tar out of them, because once the threat has been stopped, you should also stop. According to everything I have read, Brett had no injuries and his wife obviously had serious trama, this alone shows you that Brett lost control and did way more than he should have.

And of course, he is innocent until proven otherwise, but unless something big comes out about this, it does appear that he is in the wrong.
RyanC
7/1/11 6:43:08PM

Posted by Adrenaline

While it is entirely plausible that Brett was just "defending" himself at some point in the altercation you also have to determine if he used more than what was neccisary to do so (which seems to be the case). Now if he was assualted by a weapon such as a knife or a firearm, then yes his retaliation might be deemed somewhat reasonable but as of now there is no evidence that she did anything more than hit him. In LE this is called "escalation of force" generally you use just enough force (reasonable) to counter act the other persons actions. You have to look at "percieved threat" and "actual threat" to determine what is appropriate, which can be hard in the heat of the moment. When his wife struck him (assuming no weapons were involved) the actual and percieved threat were (or should have been) relatively low. Brett is a giant man, and a trained fighter so the probabilty of his wife causing him real harm were minimal at best. So it really does not matter if she hit him first, from all the evidence so far (and it looks solid) he wen't above and beyond defending himself and savagly beat his wife. If someone hits you, it does not give you a free pass to beat the tar out of them, because once the threat has been stopped, you should also stop. According to everything I have read, Brett had no injuries and his wife obviously had serious trama, this alone shows you that Brett lost control and did way more than he should have.

And of course, he is innocent until proven otherwise, but unless something big comes out about this, it does appear that he is in the wrong.

baylee
7/1/11 6:55:45PM
I agree that all should wait for the courts decide but it doesn't look good.
rockyf
7/1/11 7:29:07PM
maybe he was also just defending himself when he was choking his kids?

(i know i know its not proven)
bjj1605
7/1/11 8:00:40PM
To the guy who said the UFC should have psychological screenings, I'm not sure how that would help.

One of the most disturbing parts of this whole story is that from what I could tell from interviews and such, I always thought that Rogers was a pretty nice guy. He never seemed like a thug or a meat head or an aggressive jerk.

If there is a psychological prototype that you would expect perpetrators of domestic violence to fit, he certainly doesn't exhibit that sort of behavior.

Would professional screening weed out some wacko's, possibly. But I'm not sure that its worth it until this sort of things becomes common.

Much of the public seems to take a few high profile incidents and treat them as though they were the norm, rather than the rare exception that they really are.
TheBlackChip
7/1/11 11:19:47PM
I live in Burnsville, which is right next to Apple Valley. I train at American Top Team in the area and I've seen Rogers around a few times. I saw him the Tuesday or Wednesday after his loss to Barnett walking out of Sports Authority and he looked terrible. He just looked really depressed, so much so I didn't even acknowledge him.

While innocent until proven guilty, I have absolutely no doubts about the allegations here.

This is a sad thing for everyone involved, especially the victims. I went from feeling sorry for Rogers in having had so many tough draws in a row, but now I can only hope he runs into someone bigger and badder than him in the pen, cuz that's where he should be and how justice should really be served here.
Bubbles
7/1/11 11:59:45PM
im fairly certain Rogers is guilty. after reading BlackChips's post, i think maybe his wife egged him on. probably during their argument she mocked him and called him washed up or w/e to the point where he couldnt control his rage. even so, beating a woman who is a fraction of his size, like he is accused of doing, is unforgivable and he should be punished to the full extent of the law if found guilty. its one thing to have a neighbour to take the wifes side, its another when multiple neighbours say the same thing AND his children said that he was abusive to them and his wife in the past. there is absolutely no excuse for this behaviour

MMA-San
7/3/11 12:34:19AM

Posted by telnights

I can tell you from experience that children don't normally lie to police about stuff like this and when they do its very easy to tell that they are.

When I was twelve I lied to the police and told them my Gym Teacher pushed me and I fell to the groud and bruised my hands. He was fired. I was a class hero.

It was the dudes first year and throughout the whole year he constantly took our PE away. Seriously, assigned us a two page paper weekly to be turned in. He had a different word for each letter of the alphabet, like C-was Cholesterol, and Z-was Zest. We had to write (as little kids) a two page paper every week, about the importance of these words...and he graded us strictly.

Then we only had PE 3 times a week as it was...every Friday we had to watch health videos. we only got two days of actual PE...and the guy was so serious it wasn't even fun. It wasn't even games we were playing, they were like fitness tests. All the previous years we had played flag tag, and other creative games...and had sections on football, basketball, socer, baseball, and what have you...oh and the kickball competitions...but with this guy we did nothing.

Then to top it all off, with only 2 months left of school he took away our recess. One kid (a foreign exchange student who barely spoke English) talked out in class. the coach said that if he didn't be quiet the whole class (combined of 3 6th grade classes) would lose recess. The kid didn't understand, and kept talking. Then the coach said that for every word spoken we would lose a day of recess. In the end we loss 47 days of recess.

Our punishment was that we had 15 minutes to eat our lunch then we had to check in at the outside basketball courst, there were about 100 spray painted yellow dots on the courts. we had to sit on the dots and for 45 minutes be quiet or lose another day of recess (which we lost every damn day because soebody yawned or coughed or something). Oh, and I live in Phoenix, AZ. It was April and May...it was 100+ degrees outside...no shade...no water.

Oh and we are 6th graders, so once May is over we are off to Jr. High...where there is no recess anymore. So he was taking the last two months of recess of the rest of our lives away from him.

So I garnered a plan, I told ten or so of my friends what I was going to do. I wrote a horrible paper on Zest (the last paper of the year) basically saying how Zest was a soap, and not a very good soap either. Coach called me in and asked why I did it, I tolf him because I thought the papers were stupid and he was a A-Hole. He yelled at me like I knew he would...I may sure to scream the loudest most offensive South Park like obscenitied filled insults at him...and as soon as he pointed his finger at me...like I knew he would I fell and started crying...then ran away in fright.

I told my mom he had pushed me, she called the police, I gave names of witnesses, I filed charges, I went to the witness stand, I got drilled by the lawyers, he lost his job, and went on probation.

The point of the long and prolly seeminglt usless story...children lie to police...and they can't tell!

Oh, BTW-The dudes name was coach Bummer.