breathing technique

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » breathing technique
fedorwins1
2/11/07 4:47:45PM
My old teacher used to tell us to make a quick exhale out of your mouth kind of like a stt sound, so you won't hold your breath when you punch. It works but I never see any MMA fighters do it, is there a risk in doing so, like maybe having your mouth open and making it easier for you to be KO'd. If there's a better way to breath while fighting what is it?
bayonetxwork
2/11/07 7:58:42PM

Posted by fedorwins1

My old teacher used to tell us to make a quick exhale out of your mouth kind of like a stt sound, so you won't hold your breath when you punch. It works but I never see any MMA fighters do it, is there a risk in doing so, like maybe having your mouth open and making it easier for you to be KO'd. If there's a better way to breath while fighting what is it?

Well naturally your supposed to do this whenever you workout, or punch in that matter. You exhale in the positive motion, and inhale in the negative motion. But no I don't think doing this would have any risk, nor make it easier for you to be KO'd. Keep in mind its just a real short exhale, so its not like your just hanging your jaw out to get KTFOd.

Also, fighters do this all the time. If you listen closely, you can hear them do it a lot. Go back and watch a few "The Ultimate Fighter" fights, and you can hear it really easily.
Sinical
2/11/07 9:06:49PM
yeah when i train and hit the bag or spar i always quick exhale

helps not cramping up and throwing more punches
fedorwins1
2/12/07 6:22:25PM
Thanks guys, I forgot about all of the crowd noise making it pretty much impossible to hear the fighters, I forgot about TUF they do it all the time
Ultimate_fighter
2/25/07 8:13:42PM
Hey man, UFC makes that sound all the time. It helps them breathe and not get exhausted and also makes it harder not to get knocked out. Seriously though, with me, i can keep my mouth open and not get ko-ed. I don't know i just always lock it in and i cant move it. Its pretty much cheating haha. But with most fighters they keep their mouthes closed as much as possible. i think u should do the same.
bayonetxwork
2/25/07 8:30:12PM

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

Hey man, UFC makes that sound all the time. It helps them breathe and not get exhausted and also makes it harder not to get knocked out. Seriously though, with me, i can keep my mouth open and not get ko-ed. I don't know i just always lock it in and i cant move it. Its pretty much cheating haha. But with most fighters they keep their mouthes closed as much as possible. i think u should do the same.

Then your not getting punched hard enough. Because whether you lock your jaw or not, you still get knocked out. Its just easier to break when its hanging out asking to be crushed by a hook
Rush
3/23/07 9:16:12AM

Posted by fedorwins1

Breathing is a hard thing to control in fighting. The reason you don't see many MMA fighters controlling their breathing is either

a) they don' t know how
b) their breathing pattern is being disrupted because the other guy is landing strikes

breathing makes all the difference in the world. It is something that really focus on and it shows when I grapple and spar. My endurance is a level above others'.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/24/07 12:30:38AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by fedorwins1

Breathing is a hard thing to control in fighting. The reason you don't see many MMA fighters controlling their breathing is either

a) they don' t know how
b) their breathing pattern is being disrupted because the other guy is landing strikes

breathing makes all the difference in the world. It is something that really focus on and it shows when I grapple and spar. My endurance is a level above others'.

I agree completely, I roll with new guys and they get so tired because they cant relax. I think it is something that comes with time. Heck im not good at it, when I spar someone better than me, and I get a little nervous, my breathing goes out the window.
hippysmacker
3/24/07 2:40:48AM
The best example of this is Fedor to me. He always remains calm and controls his breathing. Then he suddenly explodes into flurries, and then he's calm again if needed. Saves oxygen and Adrenaline. It's this kind of mental conditioning and toughnmess that sets him apart IMO.
MethodMan
3/27/07 5:51:28AM
Breathe slow and deep, look at most of the top fighters they breathe deep down to their core.
Stickan
3/27/07 10:55:04AM
Listen to Diego in his fights. He's the first one I think of when talking about controlled breathing.
SteedTheDeed
4/9/07 8:12:50PM
the fighters exhale also, its there. garcia yelled every time he threw a punch at 69.
lakaidude7
4/19/07 11:32:46PM
yeah, i hear the stt sound almost every fight