Breaking: Rampage Pleads Guilty, Agrees To Plea Bargain

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Breaking: Rampage Pleads Guilty, Agrees To Plea Bargain
DCRage
1/8/09 5:06:09PM
Quinton Jackson today has taken a plea bargain in court today to possibly avoid jail in the trial stemming from his rampage last summer. He will now plead guilty to 2 charges and pay restiution and will not be sentenced for 1 year if he stays out of trouble. The more serious felony charge will also be dropped if he keeps his end of the bargain.

Article
Jim_Dangle
1/8/09 5:21:28PM
He must have a hell of a lawyer. I don't know of too many people that would get off that easy after a rampage that could have very easily left someone dead. I hope he keeps his shit together for the next year and beyond.
BMF
1/8/09 5:22:19PM
Typical sentence for a professional athlete, if Rampage wanted to take responsibility for his actions from the beginning then he should have pleaded guility and not took a plea bargain. And yes I don't like Rampage, bad for the sport, MMA has enough negative publicity.
sparky
1/8/09 5:29:16PM
Im not a Rampage fan but im glad everything is looking good for him. I hope the best for him for his family sake.

People make mistakes but they deserve a chance to redeem themselves and I believe we should all given Rampage that respect hes only a man.
gsquat
1/8/09 5:32:49PM
I am a Rampage fan, and I'm glad everything is working out for him, but... He doesn't deserve to be let off this easy. Crazy or not, he should pay for what he's done appropriately.
Diamondback2
1/8/09 5:49:38PM
the guy can do alot more good doing community service to young kids thsn being locked up.

if drugs of booze would have been a factor i might change my mind. but its not the case here.

and to the guy whom said he should have just pleaded guilty instead of plea bargaining. that's the quickest way to get a crazy long sentence and is really the worst way to approach court. i got arrested with a joint, if i would have pleaded guilty i would have probably received 90-120 days in jail. with plea bargaining i received probation instead. why? because cops add on as many charges as they can possibly find in an arrest so to force you to plea bargin. if rampage had just pleaded guilty he probably would have got a year or two in jail.

why go to jail when you do not have to?
Darnok
1/8/09 5:59:44PM

Posted by Diamondback2

the guy can do alot more good doing community service to young kids thsn being locked up.

Exactly! All he has to do is make a difference in one kids life.
wrona666
1/8/09 7:28:52PM
Wow i cant believe he's not getting any jail time....I guess thats just one of the perks of being in the spot light....
theguido
1/8/09 7:56:11PM
Not sure if this is rumor or true but I read somewhere that a woman had a miscarriage after Rampage hit her car. If thats the case he should get manslaughter. If thats not true I still feel like he got off pretty easy.

Then again if you or I were in this same situation I feel Like anyone who would get into this kind of trouble, and had the money to get a good lawyer we would, right? So I'm not gonna rant about how it's not fair "he's famous". Because like it or not it has its perks havin money.
bojangalz
1/8/09 8:18:53PM

Posted by theguido

Not sure if this is rumor or true but I read somewhere that a woman had a miscarriage after Rampage hit her car. If thats the case he should get manslaughter.

This was a concern for the first week or so, but Dr's ruled that Rampage's umm, err, "Rampage" was not the definitive cause of the miscarrage. The state had no evidence to pursuit such charges. btw...now that he's plead and accepted an agreement he cannot be further charged in criminal court on any other aspect of the crime- Thats what they call "double jeopardy".

The mother-to-be could still opt for a civil suit against Rampage since she has a much lower standard for proof of evidence that he caused her miscarrage. Civil court only require a "proponderance of the evidence" which is a relatively low standard of proof. The state must be able to show "proof beyond a reasonible doubt" in order to convict someone of a crime. Without scientific proof that his actions caused the miscarrage, the state could not proceed with any such "manslaughtor" style charges.
colescar
1/8/09 9:15:33PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Forrest again. Sooner rather than later. Most of all I would like to see him fight Machida. I see Machida having the belt by summer 2010, maybe sooner.
HumanTarget
1/8/09 9:18:49PM
Justice system is such BS... because you're famous you can get away with almost anything...
Wolfenstein
1/8/09 9:57:08PM
I didn't think he would get in any trouble, and there you go. No one should really be surprised. In the end, no one was actually injured, the miscarriage wasn't caused by the accident, and he destroyed some property which he'll pay restitution for. So I think it's a good decision.

I don't think punishing him for a year in a jail cell is going to make him a better person. Lesson learned, now stay out of trouble or you'll get the hammer. Sounds reasonable to me.

Anyone who wants him locked up for a year I think is just on a witch hunt to keep celebrities to the same standards as Joe Schmoe would be.
scoozna
1/8/09 10:38:15PM
Wow, he really did get off easy. +1 for that lawyer. I don't see how you don't get 6months minimum for felony evading a police officer.
Diamondback2
1/8/09 11:31:57PM

Posted by scoozna

Wow, he really did get off easy. +1 for that lawyer. I don't see how you don't get 6months minimum for felony evading a police officer.

you got it right.

everyone that is saying it is because he is a celebrity is dead wrong, being a UFC fighter is not like being Paris Hilton. It's because either Page or the UFC put up big bicks for a tp of the line lawyer.

The american justice system is about money, the more you have, the easier it is. You don't have to be famous, just able to afford a good attorney. it's sad but true...

and i'm not sure about long beach but most jails are beyond overcrowded. like 4 to 1 ppl/bed ration. i know they pretty much won't send anyone to jail in MI around where im at unless its child suppport, DUI, or it's a violent offender.

Rampage is not a violent offender (seems really wierd to say that lol!) so they would rather have him out on the street doing good.
telnights
1/9/09 4:10:53AM
Lets keep the politics out of this topic as it always ends up with someone/s getting in trouble and it always turns in to a flame fest. I don't mind you guys talking about it but lets leave out the talk about the rights and wrongs of our legal system.
DCRage
1/9/09 10:22:55AM
Indeed.

Updating the original story, Junkie has put up a rather confusingly-worded article basically saying that if the felony isn't dropped, he could still get up to 6 months in jail.

Article

Edit: Weekly has updated their original article with this too. He still could get up to 6 months anyway at sentencing next year for the reckless driving.