UFC 81 "BREAKING POINT" - 2nd FEBRUARY - Fight Card Discussion

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 81 "BREAKING POINT" - 2nd FEBRUARY - Fight Card Discussion
Next Page »
POLL: Mir -VS- Lesnar ...... Who Wins And How?
Mir KO/TKO 4% (5)
Lesnar KO/TKO 28% (34)
Mir SUBMISSION 57% (70)
Lesnar SUBMISSION 4% (5)
Mir DECISION 2% (2)
Lesnar DECISION 5% (6)
CornishMMA
11/27/07 7:21:51AM

MAIN EVENT

Nogueira (30-4) -VS- Sylvia (24-3)

MAIN CARD

Mir (10-3) -VS- Lesnar (1-0)

Marquardt (25-7-2) -VS- Horn (79-16-5)

Belcher (11-3) -VS- Almeida (8-2)

PRELIMINARY FIGHTS

Tyson (10-1) -VS- Tibau (15-4)

Martin (16-3) -VS- Eastman (14-7-1)

Emerson (6-6) -VS- Nakamura (14-2-2)

Boetsch (6-1) -VS- Heath (7-2)

(24-15-5) Lytle -VS- Bradley (13-4)

MMA PLAYGROUND WAGER ODDS

Brock Lesnar -105

Frank Mir -125

Tim "The Maine-iac" Sylvia +205

Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira -230

Gleison Tibau +600

Tyson Griffin -640

Alan "The Talent" Belcher -110

Ricardo Almeida -120

Terry Martin -105

Marvin "The Beastman" Eastman -125

Keita "K-Taro" Nakamura -100

Rob Emerson -130

Jeremy Horn +140

Nate "The Great" Marquardt -150

Kyle Bradley +640

Chris "Lights Out" Lytle -680

Tim Boetsch +340

David Heath -360
emfleek
11/27/07 8:53:43AM
I think Mir submits him in the 1st round, personally.
dvs_nelson
11/27/07 9:58:17AM
is tito and rashad official?
dvs_nelson
11/27/07 9:59:07AM
ha nvm i just read the top of the first post
CornishMMA
11/27/07 2:12:54PM
A WWE wrestler reaching BREAKING POINT

This should be a really good event, i left out the Big Nog Sylvia fight as it isnt likely to happen imo (Randy can stay as champ for up to 6 months since winning i do believe, and they surely wouldnt dare make a 3rd Interim fight in a row!!!!!)

Cro Cop is almost certain to fight on this card as well
Styles
11/27/07 2:35:29PM
I am starting to lean towards Lesnar winning this fight. He has incredable strength and has been training for some time now. Yes, Mir has the expierence, and he skill, but he will have a very rough time with the brute strength of Lesnar. Lesnar also has some pretty decent speed. Maybe I am over thinking this, but I think I have underestimated Lesnar at first.
Franklinfan47
11/27/07 3:26:30PM
kevietre
11/27/07 4:18:13PM
Go ahead and disagree but I used to watch wrestling and Lesnar was a lot more leaner and cut. He looks out of shape in that picture which has to be somewhat recent since he hasn't always had that dumb tattoo. Hopefully Lesnar can make the 265 weight pound limit. With his experience in amatuear wrestling he should know how to properly cut weight.

Anyway I think Brock will do well in MMA but to fight Mir so quickly is a mistake. He's gonna tap.
cowcatcher
11/27/07 4:23:54PM

Posted by kevietre

Go ahead and disagree but I used to watch wrestling and Lesnar was a lot more leaner and cut. He looks out of shape in that picture which has to be somewhat recent since he hasn't always had that dumb tattoo. Hopefully Lesnar can make the 265 weight pound limit. With his experience in amatuear wrestling he should know how to properly cut weight.

Anyway I think Brock will do well in MMA but to fight Mir so quickly is a mistake. He's gonna tap.

lesnar weighed more during his WWE/F days than he did for his MMA debut, and i think it was about a 30lb difference(granted im sure he cut some) so i dont think he was leaner, although i will agree he did look more cut as a pro wrestler than in the pic in this thread. i think hes going to do just fine, mir is tough, but the more i think about it the more i lean towards lesnar.
ufcboss
11/28/07 5:11:44AM
Does anyone think that card is no " Superbowl of MMA".
Dana has talked about this for ages and this is it!

Dont get me wrong, I will buy it without hesitation but I was really expecting a couple HUGE name fights, A title defence would be good too.

If they have the Mir/Lesner match as the main event, that's bullshit. 2nd to last last is the spot for that one.
Hopefully Tito/Rashard isnt aswell. If CroCop fight's he wont get the main-event either so I just dont know what they are doing with this.

I have noticed that they havent mentioned this is a Superbowl event, But it was ment to be.

Thats my bit.
CornishMMA
11/28/07 7:27:15AM

Posted by ufcboss

Does anyone think that card is no " Superbowl of MMA".
Dana has talked about this for ages and this is it!

Dont get me wrong, I will buy it without hesitation but I was really expecting a couple HUGE name fights, A title defence would be good too.

If they have the Mir/Lesner match as the main event, that's bullshit. 2nd to last last is the spot for that one.
Hopefully Tito/Rashard isnt aswell. If CroCop fight's he wont get the main-event either so I just dont know what they are doing with this.

I have noticed that they havent mentioned this is a Superbowl event, But it was ment to be.

Thats my bit.

No i think you are a little bit confused, they always have a UFC event on the superbowl weekend every year, its not always meant to be the biggest card of the year but they always try and make it a big one (last year didnt work out as it was a weak ufc 67 - but before that you had the big ufc 52 etc), what you are talking about is what they always say about the UFC in general - thats its the "Superbowl of MMA"

Also that isnt the full card dude, there may well be a HW title fight but that depends on the Randy situation
keith-hackney1
11/28/07 12:32:12PM
I hope tito beats rashad, only fight on card worth a lookin !!!
CactusBob
11/28/07 3:25:31PM
I'm a huge fan of Leites and I think he might pull off the upset against Marquardt. As for Lesnar and Mir... My heart is with Mir, I want to see him the way he was when he was breaking arms and winning championships. If he shows up as the Mir of old, I would have no doubt he would win. But I'm certain I'm not alone in giving up on that hope... I have to go with Lesnar for his pure athletic ability, round 2 stoppage.
Still hoping for Mir though...
jiujitsufreak74
11/28/07 7:07:30PM
if CC doesn't fight on this card and winds up fighting at ufc 80 i will be very disappointed in the ufc for seeing the pattern: CC + England = Not Good. have CC fight on this card, i beg of you joe silva, don't screw this one up. i would put him up against a formidable opponent despite his two losses. i do not feel he needs and easy win at this point in his career and deserves the respect to still get a good fight. i hope AA gets to fight him (highly unlikely...but one can dream) or maybe even vera (that would suck for vera ) even though vera isn't quite on CC level by any means, i think it is a good name to defeat. anyway i hope CC gets back to his winning ways and gets that intensity back that was behind so many of his PRIDE wins.
MMAFightClothes
11/28/07 11:30:42PM
I think Lesar looks like that because he can't be on the 'roids. The way Mir has looked lately, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lesnar win.
Riggeee
11/29/07 12:48:00AM
shogun might fight on this event too
rumored fighting tito ive heard....prolly not though
CornishMMA
11/29/07 6:48:50AM
he will fight on this card, but doubt they would put him against Tito

Other possible fights could be Forrest VS Jardine 2 for #1 contendership

Cro Cop is almost certain to figth on this card but the quality of his opponent is another matter, Scott Junk would be the safest one to make
MondayNiteMauser
11/29/07 11:41:20AM
Alright guys one thing you have to realize is the calibur of athlete a guy like brock lesnar is. I'll be the first one to admit i was a fan of him in the WWE but I'm also going to say that it takes a special athlete to pull a back flip off from the top rope and do the things he did in that company. I think Lesnar wins this fight with just his wrestling. I see Lesnar stalking Mir for about 1:30 and then Lesnar drives him to the cage and gets a double leg take down, passes FRANK MIR'S GUARD..yes i said it and he will do it, and pounding out a TKO victory.

I'm also looking foward to the Tyson Griffin fight, and the Alan Belcher fight just to see if he's foreal because he did look good against starnes.
CornishMMA
12/3/07 7:20:46AM
I just updated the 1st post with the ticket sales event poster i just got via email from the UFC, LMFAO at Mir having 3 stars and Brock having 6 stars, well he will clearly win, that or make him a Big Mac!
prozacnation1978
12/3/07 9:19:42PM
tito vs rashad would be a nice co main event but at this point i thinkcro cop will fight
maybe even diego sanchez will be on the card
right now i think there is only 3 or 4 slots left to fill
i think griffin, big nog, marquadt, and lesnar will be on main card
so i am thinking one big one left with a couple prelim bouts
CornishMMA
12/4/07 7:22:42AM
Well the thinking was that it would be a main event of Big Nog VS Sylvia for the vacant HW title, but now they have started selling tickets with just them 2 on the poster makes me think they wont be able to have that title fight

Maybe it will be Big Nog VS Kongo after all for a #1 contender fight with either Randy or Sylvia
NatedawgThaM
12/4/07 7:57:26AM
I think Lesnar is just two strong for Mir. Mir isn't as good as he once was. He showed improvement in his last fight but really can we honestly say he's back after he beat a fighter who's on a huge losing streak that should have been kicked out months ago? I have Lesnar stopping him. I think he'll have good enough BJJ defense not to be subbed and I think he's a better striker and will just overpower him with GNP.

Big NOg over Tim by 2nd rd. sub, Tito over Rashad by Unanimous Decision and the Thales fight should be a spectacular fight against Nate the great.

This card looks real good
CornishMMA
12/4/07 8:08:44AM
Mir did turtle up against Vera, he was hurt by the knee but then kinda gave up and didnt defend as well as he could of i think, but until Borck hurts him he will there throwing his legs up looking for that armbar or triangle, who knows what his BJJ defence is like but this fight will certainly test it
MMA
12/4/07 9:38:46AM
Hmm, for some reason, Lesnar does not look that big compared to Mir in that poster.
CornishMMA
12/4/07 9:48:00AM

Posted by MMA

Hmm, for some reason, Lesnar does not look that big compared to Mir in that poster.

Well he isnt really, they are both 6'2 i do believe and Brock is only 20lbs heavier, mind you the fat - muscle difference will be quite apparent
NatedawgThaM
12/4/07 9:54:21AM

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by MMA

Well he isnt really, they are both 6'2 i do believe and Brock is only 20lbs heavier, mind you the fat - muscle difference will be quite apparent

I think Mir is sucking it in
CornishMMA
12/5/07 6:41:43AM

Actually thats a bit harsh cos he did look a lot more in shape in his last fight against Hardonk

Oh and in case anybody hasnt seen that fight here is a link for it

FRANK MIR -VS- ANTONI HARDONK
Riggeee
12/6/07 10:00:12PM
im glad nog and sylvia is the main event
nog gonna bring the belt to BTT!!!!
CornishMMA
12/7/07 7:18:49AM
I just hope and pray that Big Nog REALISES how easy it is to get Tim down, the big tree falls very easily with any kind of body lock or hip toss or leg trip, hope he doesnt try and and stand with him cos there would be no need too, Nog can sub him quickly in the 1st if he wants too!
MondayNiteMauser
12/7/07 2:55:18PM
Lesnar will end it early by ground and pound. Mir is a big name the ufc set up for a big loss.
Pages: [1] 2 3