BREAKING NEWS: Vitor Belfor OUT of UFC 139. Wanderlie Silva to face Cung Le

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » BREAKING NEWS: Vitor Belfor OUT of UFC 139. Wanderlie Silva to face Cung Le
Next Page »
emfleek
9/21/11 12:34:07PM
An injury has forced Vitor Belfort (20-9 MMA, 9-4 UFC) out of November's UFC 139 event, and fellow middleweight Wanderlei Silva (31-11-1 MMA, 3-5 UFC) has stepped in to fight Cung Le (7-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC).

UFC president Dana White today announced the change via Twitter.

The nature of Belfort's injury was not disclosed.

LINK
mrsmiley
9/21/11 12:37:44PM
Wow....!
This fight will be interesting for sure. Wandy's MMA experince alone is enough to cause Le trouble but Wandy isn't what he was 10 years ago either.
Call me crazy but I think this fight may go the distance.
Twenty20Dollars
9/21/11 12:37:53PM
More unsure of my pick now. But still a good fight!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
airkerma
9/21/11 12:37:55PM

say whaaaaaaaaaaat? I like this, I think it gives Wandy a great chance to get a win. That Hands of Steel fight sticks in my head when I think of Cung Lee and finishing potential and chin fortitude.
emfleek
9/21/11 12:40:07PM
I personally think the fight got easier for Le.

Le via TKO in R1.
FastKnockout
9/21/11 12:40:23PM

Posted by airkerma

say whaaaaaaaaaaat? I like this, I think it gives Wandy a great chance to get a win. That Hands of Steel fight sticks in my head when I think of Cung Lee and finishing potential and chin fortitude.

But think of how many times Wanderlei has been knocked out cold.
Twenty20Dollars
9/21/11 12:40:59PM
Wandy can't come in with the windmill like he did against Leben.
emfleek
9/21/11 12:41:19PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Agreed. I think he just got KO'd when the news broke.
FastKnockout
9/21/11 12:46:19PM
Le will have to avoid some dangerous spots, but I think Wanderlei is just too sloppy to win against Le.

Cung Le decision.
isk
9/21/11 1:03:58PM
This is a much more competitive matchup for Cung Le. I still gave him a decent shot against Vitor, but he's fighting another guy who's a bit wilder, a bit slower, and one who's lately tried to rely on his hands more than any other strikes. Le might be in trouble if Wandy figures out how to close the gap and bring down the Thai plum, but I think it'll be easier for him to control distance and keep Wandy at bay with body kicks all night.

Either way, I like the fight, two guys who go out to bang with neither one having an overwhelming edge over the other on paper.
TeamDEY
9/21/11 1:07:31PM
Great replacement fight, was sort of wanting to watch Vitor fight but this will make for a hech of a fight.
Hendo67
9/21/11 1:14:40PM
The way i look at this now... the fight will last a lot longer than the original. I had Vitor winning via T(KO) fairly quickly, now i see this one going to a decision, or a late TKO in the 3rd. Wanderlei is a great replacement, Belcher would have been a good one as well... I love the match up, Wandy can't come in and be wreckless in this one.
prophecy033
9/21/11 1:22:18PM
Damn, I really wanted to see Vitor slap Le around. Oh well, this fight is still interesting enough. Wandy is so punch drunk that I don't see it getting out of the first. The first solid strike to the face of Silva by Le will be the begging of the end Le 1st rd ko
MaxOne
9/21/11 1:23:25PM
I had folks telling me I was nuts for picking Vitor 1st round K.O. Now I can't prove them wrong. Not sure what to think about this fight. I hope it is a competitive fight.
gartface
9/21/11 1:54:31PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by FastKnockout

Agreed. I think he just got KO'd when the news broke.

Cung will dominate him in the first or second. Wandy is past it.
bjj1605
9/21/11 2:19:26PM
I agree with Fleek and Gartface.

Vitor was a much tougher fight for Le.
Poor_Franklin
9/21/11 2:59:37PM
Le is the happiest person in the world right now
Budgellism
9/21/11 3:10:41PM
I actually like this fight way more than Belfort vs. Le. This one actually makes sense. I think Belfort should fight the Leben vs. Munoz winner.
emfleek
9/21/11 3:19:58PM

Posted by Budgellism

I actually like this fight way more than Belfort vs. Le. This one actually makes sense. I think Belfort should fight the Leben vs. Munoz winner.

I'd actually like to see Le (should he win) fight Leben/Munoz...preferrably Leben.
Bubbles
9/21/11 3:32:38PM
this should be a fun fight. i dont see it being a FOTN cuz i think its going to end early. i think Le finishes Wandy in the 2nd round...

but heres to hoping Wanderlei knocks Le out
Wolfenstein
9/21/11 4:14:35PM
Definitely a more competitive bout--yet still a tough fight for Cung. Wqnderlei is well schooled in defending Cung's MO...that being kicks.Although Wanderlei's chin has seen better days, Cung doesn't exactly have dynamite in his hands.

Right now I'm leaning towards Silva, landing over the top with a big right hand. Could be anyone's bout though. I am really excited for this one.
40ouncetpkid
9/21/11 4:16:02PM
Very close fight, I do not think le wins by 1st round KO because hes not a heavy puncher at all, it's all kicks. I could see Wandy catching him, definitely can't count him out especially since Le hasn't been that active lately.
tallica62
9/21/11 4:55:31PM
ahhhh crap
prozacnation1978
9/21/11 4:59:33PM
More better matchup I love watching silva fight live
Its make or break time for wanderli
mattjonesy
9/21/11 5:17:40PM
Much better match up imo. Could go either way.
DeadHead988
9/21/11 6:21:27PM
I think Le caught a real lucky break here. Cung via ud
Chael_Sonnen
9/21/11 7:39:16PM
Boy oh boy....Vitor hurt again
airkerma
9/21/11 9:37:34PM
Snap, looks like I am in the complete minority here and not because of my quad racial background (okay that was fake). Av bets anyone? I still think Wandy will crush Le
mrsmiley
9/21/11 9:50:45PM
The biggest reason I have doubts about Le is,despite being a great striker,it just always seems like Cung is point striking as opposed to striking for the finish to me.
Of course i'm not trying to underplay Le,he's dangerous in the standup obviously and his ground game isn't bad either.
This is one of those fights where I think he would be wise to go for the kill quickly,because if he doesn't Wandy will.
Franklinfan47
9/21/11 10:47:31PM
Ya this fight definately just got alot harder to pick. Wandy's chin scares me against a fighter like Le.
Pages: [1] 2