Breaking news: Where are the posts??

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » Breaking news: Where are the posts??
pmoney
2/1/11 11:59:28AM
I started posting news on the playground while I was at work because I noticed that it just wasn't happening very quickly. As it stands right now, it's almost 9am Pacific time, and there is a bundle of new news/articles on a whole host of MMA sites.

But they aren't being posted on the playground! One thought I had on how we can bring more traffic to the site is to improve the rate at which the news is posted. As most of us know, this is the place to be for fantasy MMA. I am sure there are other sites that do it, but I've never been to them and never will. And if we stay on top of the news, we can make MMAPlayground the one MMA website an enthusiast would need to visit.

Think about it! If you knew you could get the breaking news from mmajunkie, mmafighting, mmaweekly, bloodyelbow, mmamania, etc, all from MMAPlayground in a timely fashion, you wouldn't need to go anywhere but here! People wouldn't feel the need to create accounts at other websites because the Playground will have the news when it breaks, five minutes after the story breaks not 5 hours.

Just a thought! I want to see this site thrive and I know everyone reading this feels the same way.
Chael_Sonnen
2/1/11 2:40:43PM
I'm down for it
DCRage
2/1/11 6:05:48PM
Breaking news: Some of us have lives, jobs, etc. and can't be on the net 24/7.
Chael_Sonnen
2/1/11 6:17:48PM

Posted by DCRage

Says the guy with 10553 posts.
pmoney
2/1/11 8:16:22PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by DCRage

Who isn't even a mod... I like your work DCRage, you are all over the playground. I also have a life, job, fiancee, etc. Which is why I prefaced all that by stating I primarily post at work.

I was just voicing an opinion/ constructive criticism, not directed towards anyone. I just feel like the traffic seems down, views/replies on the forum look down, etc... I would love for this site to blow up and have the logo on fighters shorts and ****.. I got high hopes, maybe I am just an idealistic newcomer
grappler0000
2/1/11 9:36:02PM

Posted by pmoney

I was just voicing an opinion/ constructive criticism, not directed towards anyone. I just feel like the traffic seems down, views/replies on the forum look down, etc... I would love for this site to blow up and have the logo on fighters shorts and ****.. I got high hopes, maybe I am just an idealistic newcomer

If you build it, they will come!
pmoney
2/1/11 11:37:11PM
I would love it. I wonder how much it would be to sponsor a fighter, be it Bellator, Strikeforce, Dream, Sengoku, UFC, MFC etc...
BlueSkiesBurn
2/2/11 3:29:51AM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by DCRage

Who isn't even a mod... I like your work DCRage, you are all over the playground. I also have a life, job, fiancee, etc. Which is why I prefaced all that by stating I primarily post at work.

I get you, dude. I wouldn't worry about the negative comments regarding your post. Many of us are trying to get the playground back to where it was when we first joined. I know the mods and site admins are listening and working on their own ways to get things going as well.

DCRage
2/2/11 8:46:18AM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by DCRage

I actually was a mod here a couple years ago and people still think I am one. Obviously Im not on as much as I used to be since the only PC access I have at my current job is for work-related purposes.
I wouldn't say traffic for the site as a whole is down (there are still a lot of people browsing the site as guests, especially during UFC events), although I don't disagree with the thought that participation in the game is down-that to some extent I agree with (primary league). There certainly aren't as many Premium Members as there used to be, which reduces the prizes available for the game, but part of that probably is the economy and not as much money going around.
Shawn91111
2/2/11 8:58:43AM

Posted by DCRage

Posted by pmoney

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by DCRage

I actually was a mod here a couple years ago and people still think I am one. Obviously Im not on as much as I used to be since the only PC access I have at my current job is for work-related purposes.
I wouldn't say traffic for the site as a whole is down (there are still a lot of people browsing the site as guests, especially during UFC events), although I don't disagree with the thought that participation in the game is down-that to some extent I agree with (primary league). There certainly aren't as many Premium Members as there used to be, which reduces the prizes available for the game, but part of that probably is the economy and not as much money going around.

Nope, trust me everyone is well aware you're not anymore.
BigCountryFedor
2/2/11 1:42:01PM

Posted by DCRage

Breaking news: guy with 10000+ posts makes an oxymoron.
pmoney
2/2/11 9:15:57PM
Yeah the numbers for the primary league seem down from last season, and secondary is definitely down since WEC folded.... Probably because people don't want to go 3-5 to start the season like me. (I PICKED DIAZ!!! LOL)

I don't take anything on the forums personally, it is the internet. Someone calls me an idiot in one thread and I can tell them they are dumb, but then I will prop them on a good post. This is just a fun site! Maybe SportsNation can highlight it on an upcoming episode.....
grappler0000
2/2/11 9:58:39PM

Posted by pmoney
This is just a fun site! Maybe SportsNation can highlight it on an upcoming episode.....

Slow growth is the key. If you open the flood gates, it takes weeks to flush the douche away.
pmoney
2/2/11 10:35:50PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by pmoney
This is just a fun site! Maybe SportsNation can highlight it on an upcoming episode.....

Slow growth is the key. If you open the flood gates, it takes weeks to flush the douche away.

Lol, good call. I'm all out of vinegar
BlueSkiesBurn
2/3/11 12:24:02AM

Posted by pmoney

Yeah the numbers for the primary league seem down from last season, and secondary is definitely down since WEC folded.... Probably because people don't want to go 3-5 to start the season like me. (I PICKED DIAZ!!! LOL)

I don't take anything on the forums personally, it is the internet. Someone calls me an idiot in one thread and I can tell them they are dumb, but then I will prop them on a good post. This is just a fun site! Maybe SportsNation can highlight it on an upcoming episode.....

I will stop posting on the Playground the day anything to do with this site comes out of that sack of sh*t Michelle Beadle's mouth. Point blank. I will exit my camp and get myself banned.

That is not a joke.
MMAcca
2/5/11 8:37:14PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Many of us are trying to get the playground back to where it was when we first joined. I know the mods and site admins are listening and working on their own ways to get things going as well.

I would love for this to happen
Kpro
2/6/11 1:12:54AM
We just reached almost 2,000 online as UFC 126 ended.

Maybe the UFC just needs to constantly put on cards we all want to see to keep the posts up :)
BlueSkiesBurn
2/6/11 1:31:23AM

Posted by Kpro

We just reached almost 2,000 online as UFC 126 ended.

Maybe the UFC just needs to constantly put on cards we all want to see to keep the posts up :)

Or maybe you need to actually challenge me to Cabella's Big Game Hunter
pmoney
2/7/11 12:00:31AM
Good to hear about the traffic! Gotta get that URL out during the Facebook feeds!

What's wrong with Beadle BlueSkies? SportsNation is THE ONLY show on ESPN I can get my girl to watch contentedly, that and the occasional Around the Horn.... They do good work! Lots of Ron Burgundy references, Beadle consistently appeals to the female demographic
BlueSkiesBurn
2/7/11 4:55:35PM

Posted by pmoney

Good to hear about the traffic! Gotta get that URL out during the Facebook feeds!

What's wrong with Beadle BlueSkies? SportsNation is THE ONLY show on ESPN I can get my girl to watch contentedly, that and the occasional Around the Horn.... They do good work! Lots of Ron Burgundy references, Beadle consistently appeals to the female demographic

You want to know what's wrong with Beadle? Here, read the open letter I wrote to her and ESPN.

An Open Letter To ESPN, SportsNation, & Michelle Beadle
Dear ESPN, SportsNation, & Michelle Beadle:

Today I found myself involved in a war of words on Twitter. The topic at hand; my utter frustration with ESPN anchor, Michelle Beadle regarding her tweets/comments about Michael Vick. Beadle has made it perfectly clear that, under no circumstances, will she ever find herself rooting for Vick again because of his involvement in the dog-fighting ring. As an owner of three cats I can appreciate someone's genuine abhorrence for this type of behavior. My problem is not with her hatred for these types of activities but, rather, the inconsistency with which she applies this hatred.

I made the following comment on Twitter pertaining to the aforementioned paragraph:

I really wish that @ESPN_Michelle spent as much time complaining about Stallworth, who killed a MAN and is still playing, as she does Vick.

This comment was circulated around Twitter and I eventually found myself replying to an assortment of responses regarding the comment. Some were positive while other were negative. Not that I am shocked by this in the slightest, however.

For those who are unaware of what my comment meant, I shall explain. Donte Stallworth drove drunk one night, hit a man, and killed him. As his punishment, Stallworth was convicted of DUI Manslaughter and sentenced to 30 days in jail, 2 years of house arrest, 1,000 hours of community service, and 8 years probation. Michael Vick, on the other hand, was convicted of running a dog-fighting ring, hanging, drowning, and electrocuting dogs, and received 23 months in federal prison.

I'm not here to debate the sentencing of either individual. My malcontent lies with the on-air and twitter comments of Michelle Beadle. She has consistently found a way to remind the general public of what Vick did in the past. Despite the fact that Vick has, otherwise, turned his life around and become a reformed citizen, Beadle continuously displays her dislike for Vick every time his name is mentioned.

In response to my tweet, Beadle replied with the following gem:

ESPN_Michelle
Lemme know when Donte is a relevant topic today! Vick is everywhere...this is how tv works

I guess that Donte needs to be front-page and center for people to be reminded that he killed a man. He's allowed to play in the league, attention free of his crimes, as long as he's not one of the best players on the field. Beadle will post pictures of the mangled dogs from Vick's estate to remind people of what he did, but she will make no mention of the man that Stallworth ran down while drunk.

Ben Roethlisberger is presently the starting quarterback for the 10-3 Pittsburgh Steelers. He's leading the pack for one of the premier teams in the NFL, yet his multiple rape accusations are barely mentioned 1/8th as much as Vick's dog-fighting history.

Beadle apparently believes that if you're not front and center in the sports world, then your actions don't deserved to mentioned in the same breath as famous athletes. After trying to point this out to her over and over, I was finally blocked. I guess she was unable to handle someone, intelligently, pointing out to her that her agenda-based reporting was getting real old. From what I understand, she blocked the majority of people who disagreed with her stance on Stallworth being mentioned or Vick being able to own a dog.

Here are a couple of DM's that Michelle Beadle sent to people during the course of yesterday's campaign against her.

"I am an animal lover. Dogs tend to be better people than a lot of folks."

"Ha! Lemme know how you and your 132 followers do! Meanwhile I can send you the 1000's of emails and messages I have in support."

Congratulations ESPN, you've hired an anchor who tells people via the internet that she believes that animals are better people than a lot of people out there, and whose best response in an intelligent debate is "I have more followers than you." If this is the kind of intelligence you're hiring I, for one, do not feel bad about limiting the amount of ESPN programming I will be watching in the future.

Perhaps it would be wise to encourage your employees to not own a Twitter account if they cannot handle the criticism that they're going to receive for the open comments they make on the internet. More to the point, what is the point of sending secret messages to people who disagree with you, Michelle, if you're just going to block them? Do you realize how childish that is? It's like the petulant teenager that has to have the last word over the phone, so he says something snarky and hangs up.

Michelle Beadle is what is wrong with sports journalism today. She offers too much of her opinion on subjects and not enough objective bias. Regarding America's opinion regarding Michael Vick should be able to own another dog, Beadle said she was "embarrassed."

Michelle, we don't need you to be embarrassed for us. The majority of us are grown adults who have made mistakes in life and recognize the value of being forgiven, as well as, forgiving others. It is our right to say that we think Vick should be given a second chance at animal ownership. More importantly, Michelle, your political-based agenda has forgotten something in all of this; it is Vick's children that wish to own a dog. What would you have his children do, live their entire childhood without the ability to own a dog because of his crimes? I wasn't aware that we, as Americans, were still in the business of punishing our children for the sins of the father.

I am not the only one who feels this way. The CEO of the Humane Society believes that Vick should be able to own another dog in the future. He does not believe that he should own one until his probation is complete, but even he believes that Vick should be afforded another chance at owning a pet. Here is a link of his statement regarding Vick and future pet ownership:

http://hsus.typepad.com/wayne/2010/12/michael-vick-pet.html

I'm led to believe that the CEO of the Humane Society is in a better position to make an assertion as to Vick's ability to care for a pet than an anchor for SportsNation. If the CEO of the Humane Society and 70% of America believe that Vick should be afforded another opportunity then who are you, Michelle Beadle, to feel "embarrassed?"

The only embarrassing thing I can find in this entire situation is the number of Twitter users that you blocked because they disagreed with your opinion. You mentioned that you couldn't handle the "disrespectful" users; well please, Michelle, point out once instance my disrespect for you prior to you blocking me. If you wish to take my comment of "the people who agree with me are Ph.D.'s, J.D.'s and other academics. You know, people who can think for themselves," as disrespectful, then I suggest you find a new line of work. My comments were leaps and bounds more respectful and logically structured than others I saw directed at you yesterday.

Maybe it was my comment that you were using Strawman arguments that upset you. Having taken law classes, I am sure you know what a Strawman argument entails. I'll remind you, in case. That's when you take the weakest point of an individual's argument and use it as the crux of your argument. Pointing out that I had fewer followers than you and, therefore, not as many people could POSSIBLY agree with me as your "1000's of followers" is a Strawman argument.

You mention that Stallworth is not relevant and should not, therefore, be discussed. I wasn't aware that an individual's current relevancy dictated how sports media should paint them. Before Vick even had his break-out season, you have been cutting him down and reminding individuals of what he did repeatedly. You've not shared this same enthusiasm for Stallworth's reinstatement, Big Ben's leadership of a 1st place team, or a litany of other athlete-related instances. Why aren't you constantly posting pictures of Tiger's mistresses on Twitter? Where's the pictures of Mario Reyes' family?

America has spoken, Michelle Beadle, they want you to stop your verbal tirades and Twitter campaigns against Vick. If you have thousands of emails of people agreeing with you regarding this subject, that is the forum you should use to address this topic. You should not be using ESPN as a platform to push your political agenda regarding animal rights. We, as viewers, tune in to ESPN to get sporting news. If I wanted to hear a political campaign against Michael Vick, I would attend a PETA rally.

I will never tune in to SportsNation or, for that matter, any show that Michelle Beadle is a part of, again. I encourage ESPN to put an end to the seeming endless tirades of, one, Michelle Beadle against Michael Vick. If they need further evidence that America is tired of her political/personal stance on this issue, they need only ask her to submit her Twitter user name and password to the company. Since she uses ESPN in her username, it is property of the company.

People are tired of it, ESPN, and I encourage you to do something about it. Since I am sure this letter will fall on deaf ears, I am going to circulate it via the internet and let it takes its natural course. I have always been proud of the fact that I could count on ESPN to provide agenda-free sports reporting. That seems to have fallen by the wayside lately. Just because you're the "worldwide leader in sports," does not mean you need to give your employees a platform for them to disseminate personal and political laundry. Michelle Beadle ought to be ashamed of herself for her comments and her petulant responses via Twitter to your loyal viewers. Allow this to continue, ESPN, and I'm sure that you'll find people will stop tuning in all together. Then again, maybe the cancellation of SportsNation which would, thusly, eliminate Beadle's ability to spew her unreasoning discontent toward Vick might not be such a bad idea after all.

Sincerely,

Josh AKA @ASinForHer