BREAKING NEWS: Brett Rogers Gets Call to Face Fedor Emelianenko in Strikeforce Debut

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » BREAKING NEWS: Brett Rogers Gets Call to Face Fedor Emelianenko in Strikeforce Debut
« Previous Page | Next Page »
prozacnation1978
8/26/09 9:23:32PM
fedor not being in the cage before
but i like the fight
jae_1833
8/26/09 9:29:39PM
Over Josh Barnett? Fabricio Werdum? Alistair Overeem? All because he showed you the obvious crack in AA's chin...c'mon man you gotta do more than TKO a guy who's in a slump to earn a spot in the top 5! Dude I'm not sure I can even rate him above Monson, and don't even get me started on Fedor's brother Aleksander!

PS... this was a response to RMFG_187
Naturaldisaster
8/26/09 9:54:49PM
Fedor by sub at 1:47 in the 1st round
jae_1833
8/26/09 10:02:38PM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

WOW, that's a precise prediction....you know something we don't?
MisterFreeze
8/26/09 10:16:24PM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

lol, nice. I'll bet you a White Chocolate Macadamia cookie from Subway, that you're right!!
Sinister
8/26/09 10:46:22PM
This fight is going to be so exciting . . .

jascri
8/26/09 10:50:26PM
yup.
im2fast4u1981
8/26/09 10:51:25PM
I like this fight......i think rodgers is a worthy opponent....i also think he is a top 10 hw....i think this is the best fight they could get him at the moment.....i mean barnett is suspended overeem is hurt...i have no interest in watching him fight werdum or monson..... if fedor was 2 lose this fight thou dana will talk smack about it 4 years.....lmao....................My pick is FEDOR cause he always pulls a trick out of the hat...............................
fizz
8/26/09 11:04:10PM
We are talking about a man who got tapped out by TJ Desantis of sherdog while grappling about 3 years ago!

Fedor will Zulu him !!!

bjj1605
8/26/09 11:07:25PM
Is it that people really hate the UFC so much they want to believe this guy is legit?
mentalcase
8/26/09 11:14:34PM

Posted by bjj1605

Is it that people really hate the UFC so much they want to believe this guy is legit? Brett Rogers is a can

Brett Rogers is exactly as legit as Shane Carwin

mrsmiley
8/26/09 11:26:36PM
I think people tend to discard card Rogers too quickly.
I say Fedor does win,but Rogers has got SERIOUS power in those hands.
bigox420
8/26/09 11:27:27PM
I like this fight . If Fedor loses it defintly will not look good, but if Brett can pull this off he will definitely prove he is a top HW fighter.

SmileR
8/26/09 11:27:37PM

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by bjj1605

Is it that people really hate the UFC so much they want to believe this guy is legit? Brett Rogers is a can

No he isn't! Bret Rogers is like half of Shane Carwin. Bret Rogers is like Shane Carwin minus the awesome wrestling. I honestly don't get why people keep making this comparison!
Its like saying Paul Daley is exactly as legit as Thaigo Silva because they can both strike. People forget Carwin was a NCAA devision champ and runner up the two years before where as Rogers has almost no ground game.

EDIT: I don't mean that to be attacking just your post but I'v seen it posted a few times and yours was the closest one.
RearNakedJoke
8/26/09 11:51:36PM
all logic tells me M-1/Fedor will dominate this fight but in the back of my head theres a little voice that keeps telling me rogers is going to KO him. this would be very bad for M-1/Fedor. dont think it would happen but my inner retard keeps prodding me. maybe ill put a little money on it.....
higdon10
8/27/09 12:35:43AM
I dont understand where all of this Brett Rogers hate is coming from
mentalcase
8/27/09 12:45:55AM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by bjj1605

No he isn't! Bret Rogers is like half of Shane Carwin. Bret Rogers is like Shane Carwin minus the awesome wrestling. I honestly don't get why people keep making this comparison!
Its like saying Paul Daley is exactly as legit as Thaigo Silva because they can both strike. People forget Carwin was a NCAA devision champ and runner up the two years before where as Rogers has almost no ground game.

EDIT: I don't mean that to be attacking just your post but I'v seen it posted a few times and yours was the closest one.

i didn't say hes the exact as good and/or style of fighter, i said exactly as legitimate as each other, as in there accomplishments in MMA so far are very similar 10-11 wins all quick stoppages and both coming off a top ten win
DasGuntLord01
8/27/09 1:09:25AM
[quote]Statistically, the biggest difference between Carwin and Rogers is that Carwin is hugely more prone to skin cancer, and should really wear sunblock whenever he goes to the beach.[/quote]

*cough*

Man, I hope Rogers wins, even though I know Fedor will win.
Shadymlm
8/27/09 5:07:21AM

Posted by higdon10

From Fedor Nuthuggers! And once he gets beat the funny thing is all of them are gonna say it was a fluke or so what he's only lost once...
scobac
8/27/09 5:44:18AM

Posted by RMFG_187

Posted by nickcuc547

this is why fedor signed with strikeforce, to fight the borderline top 10's of the world.

I don't even know what to say... Any one whoi says brett rogers is untested, over rated, or borderline top 10 is on crack. He KOd andrei in under 25 seconds, not to mention has been hit and has had his chin tested in the previous fight before arlovski. He has been on his back for about 1 second in his whole career. If brett was in the ufc, he would be #1 contender over carwin. Brett is a top 5 hw, and fedor has his hands full in this one. Now I think fedor will win but I don't see him being able to take brett down unless he pulls guard or gets a perfectly time trip. Brett rogers is the best HW outside of the UFC not named fedor. And not to mention he has never been figured out, he hasn't shown any weakness in the cage and I look forward to seeing how he will do vs fedor

Brett has not been tested, how do you define test? AA never tested him, hell I dont think he even got a strike in, A test to me is when a guy is in a war with another fighter and has to overcome adversity, be on his back and over come, get hit and overcome, go the distance without having his will broke, etc. Brett hasnt been through any of that or atleast not enough to consider it a test and other than AA he hasnt faced anybody worth mention (jon murphy, Ron Humphrey?). The best HW outside the ufc not named fedor, Better than Barney, Monson, Werdum, Overeem? I dont think so, all of the guys I just mentioned have been tested again and again and by some of the best fighters over the years and have earned their respects in the game. You dont think a Sambo champion of Fedors calibur will be able to put brett on his back, I dont think there is any figher in the HW division Fedor couldnt take down at some point. To conclude this post I am not a big fan of either guy (fedor, brett) but do respect them, all I am saying is look at the facts and keep it in perspective. On paper Fedor is 50 times the fighter Brett is at this point in their careers, that is only on paper though, they still have to go at it in a cage for it to meen anything.
scobac
8/27/09 5:55:03AM

Posted by Shadymlm

From Fedor Nuthuggers! And if he gets beat the funny thing is all of them are gonna say it was a fluke or so what he's only lost once...

I fixed your post for you.
Rush
8/27/09 10:33:13AM

Posted by higdon10

My guess is because Brett's record is heavily padded with wins against guys with either losing records, on huge losing streaks and/or glass jaws. Added to which, I found (and I am sure others too) the Arlovski stoppage was a little premature. Bottom line is, Brett is far from being a proven fighter, at least to the extent of fighting top fighters. Everyone is saying, oh Brett hits hard, well so does Choi and we all saw what happened there.

As for my opinions on the fight, I think it is completely asinine and I only hope it is to get one more fight off Fedor's contract so he can fight some real opponents.
jae_1833
8/27/09 1:01:13PM

Posted by higdon10

I think you got most of us wrong...I don't hate Brett Rogers at all....he is doing great, I hate how Strikeforce is trying to make him into another Kimbo....a hype machine for a relatively new fighter who is largely unproven. Taking your time with a fighter is the right way to do things, it's been proven many times. Fedor is who he is....and I have said it in many posts and will continue to....for an organization to pick him up and not give him an immediate title shot is complete BS. Even the UFC. I would bet that probably 75% of all Strikeforce viewers know who Fedor is anyways, either from recent fights in Affliction, or older fights in Pride. He has done too much to deserve anything less, it's just respect for Fedor not disrespecting Brett.
moob
8/27/09 1:28:35PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by SmileR

Its honestly just dawned on me that the combined records of BOTH fighters is 15 fights!

Which two fighters are you talking about? Carwin's 11-0 and Rogers is 10-0.

Just for the heck of it, I decided to look up their various rankings:
- USA Today / SB Nation ranks Carwin is #7, Rogers #8. Their ranking system was developed by the Jedi Council, a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, and they can't tell you how it's done, you just have to believe.

- Fight Matrix rates Rogers significantly ahead of Carwin, 264 points to 228. Actually, I shouldn't say "significantly", because Fight Matrix's rating system is evidently key to national security, and I don't have the clearance necessary to view it, so I don't really know if 36 points is significant or not.

- Carwin's Elo score is 1916, and Rogers' is 1903. That's not terribly significant, especially since Carwin has one more notch in his gun barrel. Carwin's Strength-of-Schedule score is 1603, which isn't great, but Rogers' is 1596, which is even more not great. If you deleted Carwin's least useful win (Sherman Pendergarst, if you're wondering), his Elo score drops to 1896 on 10 victories, although his SoS score would go up, so maybe it's six-of-one, half-dozen-of-the-other.

Statistically, the biggest difference between Carwin and Rogers is that Carwin is hugely more prone to skin cancer, and should really wear sunblock whenever he goes to the beach.

What a brilliant post - top class - props.
moob
8/27/09 1:30:57PM

Posted by bjj1605

Is it that people really hate the UFC so much they want to believe this guy is legit?

No, it's that people actually acknowledge there are other legit fighters outwith the UFC.
Aether
8/27/09 1:35:21PM
It's not about hating brett rogers, it's being realistic that this fight is a horribly lopsided matchup where the ending is pretty much a foregone conclusion. The fact that we've also seen Fedor take massive punishment and still win the fight doesn't bode well for Brett's "puncher's chance."

OK, Brett can punch hard... What else do we know about him? Who has he beaten other than a flash KO on a fighter with a notoriously weak chin? Has his standup actually looked technically sound at all or is it that he has 9 fights against guys who aren't even in probably the top 50?

To me Brett looks more or less like a heavyweight Houston Alexander. He comes on the scene KOs some people quickly and scores a big upset, and all of the sudden he's a top10 fighter without anyone knowing anything about him. We haven't seen him in a war, we haven't seen him on the ground, we know basically nothing about the guy. On top of that his one obvious strength is not that great. Yeah he hits hard but his striking technique does not look very solid at all even in his wins against no-name opponents.

We should get Viacheslav Datsik to fight Fedor. I mean he KOed Arlovski as well. At least he would come in doing some crazy antics before he lost.
bjj1605
8/27/09 1:45:10PM
Okay first of all I want to apologize for insulting Brett Rogers earlier. I just got a little worked up reading posts about how he's going to knock out Fedor and how he's just as legit as Shane Carwin. Besides the obvious difference in background and documented skills there is the fact that Shane Carwin has faced higher level competition. They both have one big win but fighting in the UFC means you get no easy fights. Its significantly harder to get into the UFC than it is to get into Strikeforce and fighting lower level competition in the UFC means a lot more than fighting lower level competition in Strikeforce.

I also think the AA fight was a very premature stoppage.

Brett Rogers is not the best heavyweight out side the UFC. Monson, Barnett, Overeem, Werdum, heck even arlovski despite their last fight.

My problem with brett is exactly what some one said earlier. He's the new kimbo. Ya he hits hard. Ya he knocked out AA. However, he has yet to be pushed. Not only has he not been tested in the sense that he's fought through adversity he hasn't consistently competed and done well at the top level like Fedor, Barnett, Werdum, Overeem, Arlovski, and Carwin have. He has a punchers chance against fedor but I still feel this was a poor play on the part of Strikeforce. To have fedor and not have him fight for the title is absurd.
Aether
8/27/09 1:57:37PM
I don't think it's a bad move on SF's part, I just don't think it's a very interesting fight.

I think this is actually the best move they could have made. Overeem is still hurt right now and they want to strike while the Iron is hot and get Fedor in the spotlight immediately. Right now Rogers is probably the most recognizable face to the casual fan, so putting Fedor in and letting him destroy the guy that casual fans have been watching destroy other people on the Kimbo cards is probably the best way for them to start building his reputation.

Overeem might be the better matchup, but from the viewpoint of a casual fan who doesn't know any of these people, having Fedor come in and take the belt doesn't help him build his name as much as it does hurt Overeem's. It's probably a smarter move to get some public interest in both fighters before putting them against each other.
Rush
8/27/09 3:23:23PM
I've taken a step back and reevaluated why this fight is taking place. I came to this conclusion. Brett Rogers can be marketed as a heavy hitter.

The way I see it, the more educated MMA fans know Fedor and are aware of his accomplishments. I suspect the guys at Strikeforce are asking each other, how can we market Fedor to the casual fan? Most casual or less educated MMA fans understand KOs the best. Despite Fedor having a sizeable number of TKOs on his record he is really a submission guy, which is something a lot of less educated fans can't appreciate. So to market Fedor they say, hey, here is this monster Brett Rogers that has KOed everyone he has fought in the first round (pretty much) and he is fighting this undefeated Russian dude. Russian dude destroys Rogers and now the casual fan is like, "holy shit he just made that monster look like nothing" People will tune in next time to see if this Russian guy dismantles another opponent.

So in other words, I think Strikeforce is reinventing the wheel (Fedor) for the uneducated fans (which still make up a large proportion of the fan base I believe) at a minimal cost (a loss to Rogers).

telnights
8/27/09 4:36:57PM

Posted by AchillesHeel
What is Rogers' background, anyway? I looked him up on Wikipedia, but it didn't help much.

I don't think has much of one and from looking at his past fights its clear he is a slugger nothing more at this point. Now I'm not saying he cant or wont be more than that but right now I have to agree with the person that said he is a lot like a HW Houston Alexander.
Pages: 1 [2] 3