BREAKING NEWS: Brett Rogers Gets Call to Face Fedor Emelianenko in Strikeforce Debut

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » BREAKING NEWS: Brett Rogers Gets Call to Face Fedor Emelianenko in Strikeforce Debut
Next Page »
emfleek
8/26/09 4:50:48PM
Fedor Emelianenko has an opponent in place for his next bout, and it's unbeaten Brett Rogers.

"The Grim" has been tapped to take on the man that most consider to be the best heavyweight in the world, it was announced during Emelianenko's Wednesday workout at New York City's FightHouse gym.

STORY
seanfu
8/26/09 4:57:32PM
Brett Rogers by 15 second barrage.
bjj1605
8/26/09 5:04:56PM
Hope the guy above me was kidding. Should be an easy fight for fedor. Brett Rogers is untested and imo overrated.
Jackelope
8/26/09 5:13:19PM

Posted by seanfu

This is why I don't agree with those who say Fedor is scared of UFC competition ruining his legacy.

Let's suppose for a second that the scenario predicted above does happen. Which hurts Fedor's credibility more? Losing in a 15 second barrage to the relatively unknown and untested Brett Rogers, or to someone like ... say Cheick Kongo or Shane Carwin?

Glad to know we'll see him in action again. Still seriously disappointed he's not fighting in the UFC, though.
nickcuc547
8/26/09 5:29:34PM
this is why fedor signed with strikeforce, to fight the borderline top 10's of the world.
xdanish020
8/26/09 5:32:17PM
this would be perfect for Dana White if Rogers beats Fedor

Fedor by armbar in the 1st
machodog76
8/26/09 5:34:56PM
I'm actualy really excited about this, I mean he's no Hong Man Choi, but still.
cowcatcher
8/26/09 5:38:47PM
i think this was the right matchup for SF at this point, still its not a marquee matchup in my mind.
kopower
8/26/09 6:08:29PM
Fedor will withstand the opening barrage from Rogers, take him down and sub him. Another first round finish for Fedor. Its sad that after he finishes Rogers, he will have already cleaned out Strikforce's heavyweight division, minus 1 Alistar Overeem.

Bring on Gegard!!!
teddythetuna
8/26/09 6:30:25PM
Fedor by 1st Rnd Sub. Whichever one he chooses
The_Metal_Maniac
8/26/09 6:32:17PM

Posted by bjj1605

Hope the guy above me was kidding. Should be an easy fight for fedor. Brett Rogers is untested and imo overrated.

By Strikeforce standards Bret Rogers is a seasoned veteran.
loller90278
8/26/09 7:02:43PM
to be fair to rogers, hes the exact same fighter as Carwin. Carwin just has been in the UFC hype machine. both are undefeated, huge HW's, and hit very hard. Carwins only win was gonzaga, and Rogers has Arlovski.

im sure UFC nuthuggers would be pooping their pants if it was fedor vs carwin
Shadymlm
8/26/09 7:05:25PM

Posted by seanfu

That would be LEGEN wait for it...... DARY!!!

WAR ROGERS!!!!
AchillesHeel
8/26/09 7:12:52PM

Posted by loller90278

to be fair to rogers, hes the exact same fighter as Carwin. Carwin just has been in the UFC hype machine. both are undefeated, huge HW's, and hit very hard. Carwins only win was gonzaga, and Rogers has Arlovski.

Fedor by 1st-rnd whatever.
XblacksheepX
8/26/09 7:16:55PM
Get over it, guys! Fedor going to strikeforce was a buisness decision. He ain't duckin nobody.

Rogers will get tapped in the first three minutes though...
SmileR
8/26/09 7:17:17PM

Posted by loller90278

In all fairness, Carwin is dangerous standing and has elite wrestling were as Rogers is a good striker with little to no ground game.
Either way Fedor should take this with ease.
AchillesHeel
8/26/09 7:18:13PM

Posted by The_Metal_Maniac

I think you meant "by UFC standards..."
grappler0000
8/26/09 7:27:40PM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by loller90278

In all fairness, Carwin is dangerous standing and has elite wrestling were as Rogers is a good striker with little to no ground game.
Either way Fedor should take this with ease.

My thoughts as well. Being able to hit hard works well until you have decent competition that is smart enough to take you to the ground. Being an elite wrestler, that also hits hard, is a dangerous combination. To say they are the same exact fighter is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in quite some time.
SmileR
8/26/09 7:28:00PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by The_Metal_Maniac

I think you meant "by UFC standards..."

Its honestly just dawned on me that the combined records of BOTH fighters is 15 fights! Phil Baroni has lost almost as many fights as both of them have fought!
wrona666
8/26/09 7:28:15PM
I would love to see the look on Dana white's face if Roger's KO's Fedor, but unfortunately i don't see that happening......Fedor rd 1 sub.......
AchillesHeel
8/26/09 7:50:12PM

Posted by SmileR

Its honestly just dawned on me that the combined records of BOTH fighters is 15 fights!

Which two fighters are you talking about? Carwin's 11-0 and Rogers is 10-0.

Just for the heck of it, I decided to look up their various rankings:
- USA Today / SB Nation ranks Carwin is #7, Rogers #8. Their ranking system was developed by the Jedi Council, a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, and they can't tell you how it's done, you just have to believe.

- Fight Matrix rates Rogers significantly ahead of Carwin, 264 points to 228. Actually, I shouldn't say "significantly", because Fight Matrix's rating system is evidently key to national security, and I don't have the clearance necessary to view it, so I don't really know if 36 points is significant or not.

- Carwin's Elo score is 1916, and Rogers' is 1903. That's not terribly significant, especially since Carwin has one more notch in his gun barrel. Carwin's Strength-of-Schedule score is 1603, which isn't great, but Rogers' is 1596, which is even more not great. If you deleted Carwin's least useful win (Sherman Pendergarst, if you're wondering), his Elo score drops to 1896 on 10 victories, although his SoS score would go up, so maybe it's six-of-one, half-dozen-of-the-other.

Statistically, the biggest difference between Carwin and Rogers is that Carwin is hugely more prone to skin cancer, and should really wear sunblock whenever he goes to the beach.
SmileR
8/26/09 7:54:41PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by SmileR

Its honestly just dawned on me that the combined records of BOTH fighters is 15 fights!

Which two fighters are you talking about?

Sorry man, I was talking about the Carwin - Lesnar fight. Just got side tracked.
telnights
8/26/09 7:56:27PM

Posted by loller90278

Umm not even close...Brett Rogers is a slugger and Carwin is a wrestler. There is big difference in the two. Not saying Carwin is much better than Rogers but his back ground in wrestling shows he has a back ground much deeper than Rogers.
AchillesHeel
8/26/09 8:02:30PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by loller90278

Umm not even close...Brett Rogers is a slugger and Carwin is a wrestler. There is big difference in the two. Not saying Carwin is much better than Rogers but his back ground in wrestling shows he has a back ground much deeper than Rogers.

What is Rogers' background, anyway? I looked him up on Wikipedia, but it didn't help much.
scobac
8/26/09 8:10:13PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by telnights

Posted by loller90278

What is Rogers' background, anyway? I looked him up on Wikipedia, but it didn't help much.

Thug??
TimW001
8/26/09 8:10:24PM

Posted by loller90278

Yea, well said. Except I think Brett is better.
AchillesHeel
8/26/09 8:11:17PM

Posted by SmileR

Sorry man, I was talking about the Carwin - Lesnar fight. Just got side tracked.

Ah, okay. Yeah, Rogers has twice the fights that Lesnar has. He's only got one fewer than Carwin, and he's got more than Junior Dos Santos or Cain Velasquez. Meanwhile, every Strikeforce heavyweight I can think of has more fights than Rogers does.
SmileR
8/26/09 8:15:12PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

He hasn't really got one. He's recently started training muay thai but I'v never heard of him doing much grappling, wrestling or BJJ.
AchillesHeel
8/26/09 8:21:40PM
Did 90 seconds of research on Brett Rogers, and came up with... not much. Apparently he's studied Wing Chun, of all things. He's currently with Ambition MMA, whose head coach is Sergio Cunha, formerly of Chute Boxe Academy and Brazilian Top Team. Their grappling coach is Mike Reilly, who's a black belt in judo and jiu-jitsu, although it doesn't say who his sensei was. Rogers appears to be their flagship fighter; the only other person I recognize on their website is Kelly Kobold.
RMFG_187
8/26/09 8:28:14PM

Posted by nickcuc547

this is why fedor signed with strikeforce, to fight the borderline top 10's of the world.

I don't even know what to say... Any one whoi says brett rogers is untested, over rated, or borderline top 10 is on crack. He KOd andrei in under 25 seconds, not to mention has been hit and has had his chin tested in the previous fight before arlovski. He has been on his back for about 1 second in his whole career. If brett was in the ufc, he would be #1 contender over carwin. Brett is a top 5 hw, and fedor has his hands full in this one. Now I think fedor will win but I don't see him being able to take brett down unless he pulls guard or gets a perfectly time trip. Brett rogers is the best HW outside of the UFC not named fedor. And not to mention he has never been figured out, he hasn't shown any weakness in the cage and I look forward to seeing how he will do vs fedor
Pages: [1] 2 3