Breaking down the UFC heavyweight tourney

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Breaking down the UFC heavyweight tourney
Porch28
9/13/08 5:14:19PM
Two mixed martial arts legends and two fighters whose paths intertwined for a very important 90 seconds, will be competing over the next several months in what comprises the biggest heavyweight MMA tournament ever in North America.

At stake is the UFC heavyweight championship, which has been a matter of confusion over the past year.

LINK
RMFG_187
9/13/08 5:31:42PM
tournament...

If Randy wins, hes champ no matter wat an interim belt has to do with it.

I will bet my house that Randy would SMASH nog into bits. Lesnar has the best shot of beating Randy, but I think he has something up his sleeve for Lesnar
haggiswashere
9/13/08 5:43:07PM

Posted by RMFG_187

tournament...

If Randy wins, hes champ no matter wat an interim belt has to do with it.

I will bet my house that Randy would SMASH nog into bits. Lesnar has the best shot of beating Randy, but I think he has something up his sleeve for Lesnar

he usually does have somethin up his sleeve lol
wapttn
9/13/08 6:10:56PM
nog>mir>lesnar>couture>nog?

There have been a few great mma matches out there where both fighters jj is just too damn good for someone to pull a sub off.. i'm feeling like this is going to be one of them. The one out to that is that these are some big guys with some big strength.. if someone gets loosened up with a few shots to the face, it could happen, but i personally dont see it happening. What i see is an exciting ground battle with lots of transitions and a lot of escapes but i see the fight going to whoever can outpoint the other on the feet, and for me thats a clear point for Nog.

Mir has exactly what you need to beat lesnar, world class jits. And he had a great gameplan, go for the legs.. someone who's unexperienced with jj defense or offense for that matter is going to be in unfamilliar territory when sitting on their ass with their legs all wrapped up with someone like mir. Could Mir beat him everytime? dont think so.. i bet on lesnar the first time around and thought i had it.. but i think mir has the tool set and mind set to do it again and again.

Lesnar will beat couture unless couture has one hell of a game plan. I see this fight as being a bad matchup because coutures weakness is lesnars strength, and lesnars weakness is coutures weakness. Couture struggles with bigger grapplers like with barnett.. couture is looking at the biggest, strongest and possibly the most effective grappler in the hw division. Lesnars weakness with is jits defense is coutures weakness. Couture has 2 sub wins, one a million years ago, the other against van arsdale who turned out to be a nobody. I wont put it past couture to have an effective game plan... but my question is how effective can it be if he doesnt have the tools that he needs?

As for couture>nog.... i have no idea, thats a huge breakdown that would end with me saying i have no clue.
jgtribbett
9/13/08 7:08:23PM
couture nog and i say courture by ud... those 4 in my mind are ranked

nog, couture, mir, lesnar.. but !!!

couture is the king under fedor and he will pull it off
Jackelope
9/13/08 9:21:30PM
I have never once doubted that Nog is the #2 heavyweight in the world behind Fedor. If Randy somehow proved me wrong on that I'd be shocked.
Twenty20Dollars
9/13/08 9:55:33PM
nog beats randy, nog would pull something out.
Wolfenstein
9/13/08 10:07:22PM
Randy could beat Nog if he keeps it standing. If he tries to wrestle with him, he's going to get swept and finished. Nog is just too big and too strong for Randy to grapple with him. Stick and move and stay out of the clinch because he will pull guard and keep him there.
bls1919
9/13/08 10:15:40PM
This topic is so hot right now its almost untouchable. i think the fight between Nog and Mir will somthing of legend. NOG has rarley faced somone with as much BJJ Skill as himself. Mir is a Stud on the ground. I think Nog takes it in a Decision or Mir will stop it early. Lesnar vs Randy is a bit of an anomaly. I dont know what way to go. It's maybe the best Champion ever against the freak of nature. Randy is Randy and is always on to of his game, but Brock's sheer physicality isn't rivaled by anyone . Randy might be out weighed by 50 to 60 Lbs. Thats a lot and thats being conservative. Randy at fight time=220 and Brock at fight time at 280. This should be very interesting because we all know anything can happen in a MMA fight. Maybe Mir Ko's and Lesnar wil TKO. I hope not but who knows.
Solidus
9/13/08 11:26:17PM
If Mir's conditioning wasnt a question mark id have no problem picking Mir over Nog.
haggiswashere
9/13/08 11:53:38PM
it will be the winner of two phenominal bjj fighters vs the winner of two wrestlers that alot of people don't think either deserve it. I would prefer it to be mir vs couture but i think it would be a cooler fight with nog vs couture. mir is my favorite and lesnar is my most hated. so i do not want to see lesnar with the title for one second and i want to see mir with it again. we never saw him defend and he is just a cool guy
Twenty20Dollars
9/14/08 12:42:36AM
Nog will beat mir.

Even though i think lesnar will beat couture, but if couture wins, nog dominates couture on the ground and standing.
RMFG_187
9/14/08 1:41:01AM
At the moment my rankings are:

1 Fedor
2 Randy
3 Nog

Just the way I see it. Randy is still champ, Nog didnt fight Randy to get the belt, he fought the guy that lost to Randy. I didnt consider GSP champ til he beat Serra, so it works in both cases.
haggiswashere
9/14/08 2:28:27AM

Posted by RMFG_187

At the moment my rankings are:

1 Fedor
2 Randy
3 Nog

Just the way I see it. Randy is still champ, Nog didnt fight Randy to get the belt, he fought the guy that lost to Randy. I didnt consider GSP champ til he beat Serra, so it works in both cases.

Fedor got his belt from the same guy though.
hodge
9/14/08 7:14:00AM
I see Nog taking this tourne and i think its gonna be Nog vs Lesnar in the final
Aether
9/14/08 8:39:10AM
I strongly disagree with many of the posts in this thread on one matter or another. Comments like "nog dominates randy standing up" for example.

There's too many for me to even think about responding to right now... Maybe Later. I will say though that I think nog has easily the best chance of winning this tournament. The only person I see a decent chance to beat Nog out of the three is Randy, and he would have a hard time with it if he is able to make it past Brock. Ultimately I see Nog winning. Nog has always been clearly #2 in my mind behind Fedor.
prozacnation1978
9/14/08 10:15:50AM
to have randy beat lesnar then big nog i just don't see that happening

if lesnar beats randy i don't think he can beat big nog, he gets him on his back nog will find a way to submit him