BREAKING: Chael Sonnen and Jon Jones named coaches for TUF 17.

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » BREAKING: Chael Sonnen and Jon Jones named coaches for TUF 17.
Next Page »
emfleek
10/16/12 3:18:36PM
UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones and former middleweight title challenger Chael Sonnen (28-12-1 MMA, 6-5 UFC) will serve as coaches on "The Ultimate Fighter 17" on FX.

The coaching assignments, as well as an April 27 fight date, today were confirmed by the Los Angeles Times.

Due to his coaching duties, Sonnen no longer will fight Forrest Griffin (19-7 MMA, 10-5 UFC) at UFC 155 in December.

"TUF 17" filming begins Oct. 29, and the show then debuts on FX in January. The 17th edition of the UFC's long-running reality series is expected to feature middleweight and light-heavyweight fighters. Open tryouts for the tournament-based competition and show recently drew more than 120 UFC hopefuls.

LINK
BuffaloDave
10/16/12 3:20:10PM
Just like that TUF got interesting again!!
emfleek
10/16/12 3:21:32PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Sort of. The format still sucks balls.
Goatenstein
10/16/12 3:21:50PM
Show will be fun. Fight will not. This is desperation on Zuffa's part.
prophecy033
10/16/12 3:29:34PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by BuffaloDave

Sort of. The format still sucks balls.

To be honest, I'm not gonna watch for the format
airkerma
10/16/12 3:34:18PM
I really wish he would fight Forrest first, just to have a LHW fight under his belt.
emfleek
10/16/12 3:36:14PM

Posted by airkerma

I really wish he would fight Forrest first, just to have a LHW fight under his belt.

...and just to watch Forrest lose.

jjeans
10/16/12 3:43:57PM
April 27th... My birthday LOL. Guess I'll be staying up till 6am on the 28th watching the fights...

But still I don't believe this is true...
postman
10/16/12 3:53:27PM
God this is dumb
bjj1605
10/16/12 3:56:36PM

Posted by Goatenstein

Exactly how I feel.

Chael will make it entertaining because that's what he does. But from a sporting perspective it doesn't make any sense.
Darnok
10/16/12 4:04:31PM

Posted by postman

God this is dumb

x2
BuffaloDave
10/16/12 4:05:51PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Goatenstein

Exactly how I feel.

Chael will make it entertaining because that's what he does. But from a sporting perspective it doesn't make any sense.

We all just watched Silva vs. Bonnar clearly the UFC gave up on making sense
Budgellism
10/16/12 4:12:50PM
I'm very interested in Chael on tuf.

The fight, not so much. You never know in mma though. If Jones ends up on his back the majority of this fight he could very well lose. I think the match up is a nightmare for him stylistically but who would have predicted a Serra knockout over GSP or a Gonzaga head kick over Cro Cop?
warglory
10/16/12 4:12:57PM
Since when has the UFC banked on the logical choice for challenges? Joe Silva has ALWAYS banked on the most entertaining fights that fans want to see, not what the logical next in line choice should be, and Joe Silva is basically a god amongst men when it comes to MMA matchmaking; the man is unparallelled. The heat generated by Chael pushing for this fight, and by Jon refusing to take the challenge, there is instant bad blood, and a contest that people want to see. If Jones handles this right, he can squash the bad blood between he, the UFC and the fans. This is a great choice for redemption for the UFC, Chael and Jones. I think it's a brilliant choice.
sparky
10/16/12 4:14:47PM
This fight made absolutely no sense to me before and makes absolutely no sense to me now. That being said I will tune in to watch Jones destroy Sonnen because simply Chael doesn't have the tools needed to beat Jon
postman
10/16/12 4:16:29PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Goatenstein

Exactly how I feel.

We all just watched Silva vs. Bonnar clearly the UFC gave up on making sense [/QUOTE

It saved an entire card
cowcatcher
10/16/12 4:21:45PM
This is going to be entertaining tv, and the UFC is putting one of it's biggest stars(Jones) on TUF so it's going to get good ratings. I like it, I'll watch it, and I'll be entertained.
jakewalters
10/16/12 4:31:20PM
WAT!

isk
10/16/12 4:37:37PM
Holy shit! This is a good thing.

Hear me out.

Right now, there are 4 compelling contenders for Jon Jones who he hasn't beaten yet - Dan Henderson, Glover Teixeira, Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen.

Hendo has the best claim based on previous experience and actual ability. I still think he's gonna get thrown around (if they ever fight), but he presents enough doubt along with a ton of prestige. If Jones wins, he beats a legend to further cement his legacy and legitimacy. If Hendo wins, well, he does the impossible once more. The problem is that Hendo's knee is all kinds of jacked up, and that kind of injury takes a long time to properly rehab even with a young fighter. Hendo's gonna be on the shelf for a while, and though I feel he remains on okay terms with the UFC brass, his delay in reporting the injury didn't win him any points, either.

Teixeira's surging for sure, and like Hendo he brings enough of a stylistic threat for a fight with Bones to make sense. The problem is that, even after the Maldonado fight, he's still not super well known among the UFC fanbase at large. We all know about him, right, but our presence here shows we're not typical fans. Presuming he clobbers Rampage like he should, he's set up for a title shot - or an eliminator with a guy like Machida.

Both Anderson and Bones have sworn off the fight for now, and though Weidman is becoming Whineman with his latest comments, Anderson still has unfinished business at 185. I'm not ruling out a Bones/Anderson superfight down the road, but it's not like the MW champ has nothing left but to victimize quote unquote "tough guys" at 205.

Then we come to Sonnen. There's no question he talked his way into both title fights, and his submission defense is already being targetted in the Jackson camp, but you know what? He's still a really, really good fighter who always takes the fight to his opponent. TUF gives Chael the time to put on more quality weight, and he absolutely has the personality to make a TUF season entertaining. Can you imagine him getting under the skin of Bones over 13 weeks? Bones will lose his mind on camera. Meanwhile, Chael doesn't have too much longer in the sport, and there's no reason for a 3rd fight with Anderson. This is the best fight he can hope for, in the best format he can ask for.
Shawn91111
10/16/12 4:37:38PM
UFC has tried Lesnar, GSP, Liddell/Ortiz to "Save" TUF ratings-UFC/FX really thinks Jones-Sonnen can revive a brand going into season 17?
Theoutlaw08
10/16/12 4:47:09PM
Huge fan of this. I think this will help the show. And the shit talking between the two of them will be epic. I think putting Chael on as a coach will help with ratings. Hes funny and Im sure he will have something up his sleeve. Lets pray for no injuries so this damn fight finally happens.

Bubbles
10/16/12 5:09:46PM

Posted by Shawn91111

UFC has tried Lesnar, GSP, Liddell/Ortiz to "Save" TUF ratings-UFC/FX really thinks Jones-Sonnen can revive a brand going into season 17?

Spike vs Fox (Fx), different animal. Plus Jones and Sonnen are very well known around the MMA community...something JDS or Koscheck weren't. Tito vs Chuck imo didnt have the allure it would have had 3 years before.
Bubbles
10/16/12 5:10:54PM

Posted by isk

Hear me out.

Right now, there are 4 compelling contenders for Jon Jones who he hasn't beaten yet - Dan Henderson, Glover Teixeira, Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen.

Gustaffson? Cormier?
isk
10/16/12 5:12:01PM
Budgelism (*edit - and Bubbles, as I was typing this) brought up a good point to me just now - I may have left out Alexander Gustafsson. I'm totally down with him getting a title shot provided he beats Shogun (and I think he will), but that's a fight 2 months away. Champions already fight only a couple times a year on average, so I think it's very important to keep them active. I'd consider TUF with entertaining coaches as active.

So yeah, if Gustafsson takes out Shogun and Teixeira beats Rampage, have 'em fight for the next title shot. In the meantime, Bones'll have to get past Sonnen, and after that, Hendo will likely be ready.

*edit -

Posted by Bubbles

Cormier?

I'm good with this in theory, but Cormier apparently has problems cutting to 205. Like, kidney failure problems. Maybe he can stretch it out over months and get it done without wrecking his body, but frankly I'd rather see that fight down the road if/when Bones moves up to HW.
bjj1605
10/16/12 5:18:22PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by isk

Hear me out.

Gustaffson? Cormier?

He may have already beaten him, but I want to see him fight Machida more than any of those guys right now.
Bubbles
10/16/12 5:18:42PM
I only threw out DC as he has said a few times he can make 205. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen but if he is confident enough to mention it, then there has to be some truth to it. It's not like it's Rumble saying he can make 170
Bubbles
10/16/12 5:19:22PM

Posted by bjj1605

He may have already beaten him, but I want to see him fight Machida more than any of those guys right now.

forgot about him
isk
10/16/12 5:20:46PM

Posted by bjj1605

I hear ya. I'd like to see Bones fight Machida again, but I'd rather the champ fight first-time challengers before. That Bader fight was a reminder of just how good Machida is. Bones doesn't land that elbow in the clinch, maybe the fight goes a different way.
Edwards
10/16/12 5:25:38PM
made sense for chael steppin up on short notice but what a slap in the face to the other top fighters at 205, the show will be awesome but not a big fan of this move but i guess its a money move, jus sad
Cooler
10/16/12 5:28:51PM
So Sonnen gets a fight with the LHW champ without a single LHW win? fucking zuffa.
Pages: [1] 2 3