Breaking: Cain Velasquez Injured, Out 6-8 Months (Updated)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Breaking: Cain Velasquez Injured, Out 6-8 Months (Updated)
DCRage
12/29/10 7:08:11PM
It seems that the "Cain Train" has been derailed for a while. After today's UFC 125 pre-fight presser, Dana White revealed that UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez is out 6-8 months due to a shoulder injury. White hopes the champ can return in summer 2011.

Article

More when it becomes available.

UPDATE: Badly torn rotator cuff, it happened during the UFC 121 fight with Brock Lesnar but initial MRIs were inconclusive. Best-case for recovery is 4-6 months.
mattjonesy
12/29/10 7:10:13PM
Nooooooo! Interim title maybe.....
sbulldavid
12/29/10 7:24:34PM
Now what? Dos Santos vs Mir?
tmas
12/29/10 7:32:04PM
:(
pmoney
12/29/10 8:19:50PM
I am infuriated. First of all, that fight should have happened on Jan. 1st at 125. Second, Cain v. JDS wouldn't have happened until at least March. WHY?

Why would you put your new champ on the shelf that long? Just to hype the fact he is the first 100% Mexican Heavyweight champ?

This is BULL. We need title defenses AT LEAST every 4 months, every weight class.
pmoney
12/29/10 8:28:35PM

Posted by mattjonesy

Who would fight for the Interim belt? JDS versus....? Carwin, Nelson, and Lesnar are all coming off losses, and don't deserve a shot.

Mir doesn't deserve to be in the UFC after his "fight" with Cro Cop.... Schaub is whack and unimpressive....

The only match I could even begin to think of with a hint of credibility would be JDS V. Struve, and even then Struve would be murdered so quickly it would be ridiculous.

I swear this is my last post in this thread, I am too heated.
DCRage
12/29/10 8:41:33PM
Update: MRIs revealed a badly torn rotator cuff, as in 90% torn. According to AKA's Javier Mendez, the injury happened during his UFC 121 fight. He'll need surgery and extensive physical therapy. They made UFC aware of the injury after 121.
Best-case seems to be 4-6 months not including rehab. No word yet on plans now for Dos Santos and an interim title seems premature at this point.
mattjonesy
12/29/10 9:03:18PM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by mattjonesy

Who would fight for the Interim belt? JDS versus....? Carwin, Nelson, and Lesnar are all coming off losses, and don't deserve a shot.

Mir doesn't deserve to be in the UFC after his "fight" with Cro Cop.... Schaub is whack and unimpressive....

The only match I could even begin to think of with a hint of credibility would be JDS V. Struve, and even then Struve would be murdered so quickly it would be ridiculous.

I swear this is my last post in this thread, I am too heated.

The only 2 that make some kind of sence to me is either Mir or Lesnar , Lesnar just lost to the champ so if he got the interim title the rematch with Cain would mean mega bucks for the UFC, Or Mir because he just KOed one of the most dangerous strikers in the world! at least thats how they will hype it.
RearNakedJoke
12/29/10 9:11:31PM
I wouldnt mind seeing JDS vs Mir or Lesnar. I really wouldnt mind watching JDS knock out anybody.

RyanC
12/29/10 9:44:26PM
Unfortunate. Hopefully the UFC figures out something decent.
Boo_Radley21
12/29/10 10:31:30PM
Boo. Velasquez would have mauled Dos Santos. Now I will have to wait to see it.
prozacnation1978
12/29/10 11:04:55PM
I love how aka knew about this right after 121 fight
Let's just wait two months to tell everyone about it
They could have gave him surgery a month ago

I highly doubt jds will wait a whole year before he fights again

They need a interim title in april
Jds vs mir or lesnar
Or just have jds fight a can in the process

Have him fight jon madsen or someone
cowcatcher
12/30/10 12:35:11AM

Posted by pmoney

I am infuriated. First of all, that fight should have happened on Jan. 1st at 125.

The fight wouldn't have happened the 1st since he's hurt anyways, I don't see any reason to get mad about it at this point...
sbulldavid
12/30/10 12:42:55AM
JDS vs Mir makes the most sense. JDS needs to keep moving forward and Mir is the only legit title contender coming off a win. I think Lesner needs to beat some other fighters to jump back in the mix.
MisterFreeze
12/30/10 12:48:33AM
This doesn't make any sense... If Cain was injured and they knew about it immediately after 121, then he would have had surgery on it immediately, especially if it is as severe as they are saying. You don't just walk around for 2 months with a 90% torn rotator cuff. Something doesn't add up...... In fact i'm gonna go ahead and say I don't believe this rumor.
RearNakedJoke
12/30/10 1:55:50AM

Posted by MisterFreeze

This doesn't make any sense... If Cain was injured and they knew about it immediately after 121, then he would have had surgery on it immediately, especially if it is as severe as they are saying. You don't just walk around for 2 months with a 90% torn rotator cuff. Something doesn't add up...... In fact i'm gonna go ahead and say I don't believe this rumor.

Cain is just that badass!
ncordless
12/30/10 2:30:25AM

Posted by MisterFreeze

You really think it is just a rumor? Dana is not always right, but I don't see the angle in saying the HW champ is injured.

Kpro
12/30/10 2:41:56AM

Posted by ncordless

You really think it is just a rumor? Dana is not always right, but I don't see the angle in saying the HW champ is injured.

It could be part of the conspiracy to take over the world.
ncordless
12/30/10 2:52:18AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by ncordless

It could be part of the conspiracy to take over the world.

Maybe Dana is trying to start helter skelter by sending MMA fans into a frenzy which will undoubtedly lead to race wars, as was foretold by Paul McCartney.

Everyone should watch the sky all day tomorrow and report all planes that leave behind chemical trails here in this thread. My hunch is that the sky will be full of them tomorrow. We should be able to get to the bottom of this soon enough. I smell the work of the Rothchilds on this one.
BeeR
12/30/10 8:27:00AM
GSP in T-Dot baby!
emfleek
12/30/10 9:57:47AM
I totally believe this.

Now if we hear later that Brock is fighting JDS (or someone else) for the interim title, I may start leaning a bit towards conspiracy.
BigIP
12/30/10 10:16:58AM
JDS vs. Carwin for the interim belt. We all know Carwin beat Lesner (if Herb Dean were the ref). He deserves another shot.
cowcatcher
12/30/10 10:24:47AM

Posted by BigIP

JDS vs. Carwin for the interim belt. We all know Carwin beat Lesner (if Herb Dean were the ref). He deserves another shot.

Right, those hammerslaps he was landing on Brock when he was in the arm triangle were about to put Lesnar out but the ref mistook them for tapping.

Sarcasm aside, I don't hate your idea about those 2 fighting, except that Carwin is coming off a loss. It's hard to justify him getting a title shot after a loss unless Scott Coker sets the fight up.
emfleek
12/30/10 10:51:33AM

Posted by cowcatcher

It's hard to justify him getting a title shot after a loss unless Scott Coker sets the fight up.

*cough*

Couture.

*cough*
icantthinkofanything
12/30/10 10:52:52AM
Carwin is having back surgery
Nelson has obligations to another company,
Lesnar -who knows whats going on?
Cain is injured

That leaves an interim title shot for Jr. vs ?

Or a year off for Jr.

both are unfortunate outcomes imo
cowcatcher
12/30/10 11:04:50AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by cowcatcher

It's hard to justify him getting a title shot after a loss unless Scott Coker sets the fight up.

*cough*

Couture.

*cough*

I said hard to justify, not unprecedented. You win this round though.

After thinking about you mentioning Randy, I have to wonder if he might take a fight with JDS as his last hurrah in the UFC. By no means am I saying he would win, or it should happen, but the fight would sell, and it would be a big feather in JDS's cap if he were to beat Couture even if he is long in the tooth. I'd be pretty scared for Randy's health should something like this happen, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it either, weirder fights have been put together.
Pookie
12/30/10 12:06:22PM

Posted by MisterFreeze

Simple. If you injure yourself during the fight, the UFC pays for your expenses. So thats why fighters always say they got injured in their last fight, rather than in training for their next.