Breaking: Affliction Fight Now Off

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Breaking: Affliction Fight Now Off
DCRage
7/18/08 7:37:51PM
Paul Buenetello vs. Aleksander Emelianenko is now off tomorrow night's Affliction: Banned event. Emelianenko didn't meet medical licensing requirements.

Article
joshryanshepherd
7/18/08 7:40:31PM
yeah i just seen that. it realllly sucks. i was hoping for Aleks to put another impressive KO on his record
juanez13
7/18/08 7:42:05PM

Affliction takes another hit because of the inexpirience, Dana must be smiling somewhere.
jiujitsufreak74
7/18/08 7:45:03PM
i knew it...i was scratching my head this whole time trying to figure out how Aleks was going to fight in America and then this happens. a facade can only go so far i suppose.

im still going to order it and it is still a great card...but this a big blow imo.
ncordless
7/18/08 7:52:45PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i knew it...i was scratching my head this whole time trying to figure out how Aleks was going to fight in America and then this happens. a facade can only go so far i suppose.

im still going to order it and it is still a great card...but this a big blow imo.

Aleks can fight in the U.S., he just must have not followed the rules. Aleks' crime was commited before he was 18... and by law does not disqualify him from getting a visa. Not sure what happened, but if it's due to visa issues it's unlawful.
telnights
7/18/08 7:54:00PM
I'm shocked he could even get a visa to come in to the country. Seams like so many people are having visa issues so I'm shocked a x Russian convict got approved. Wonder what the medical reason is?
Aaronno9
7/18/08 7:58:05PM
Aw this sucks big time. It was one of the fights i was most looking forward to on the card :(

Second time in as many days ive been let down by an awesome fight getting canceled.
DCRage
7/18/08 8:00:09PM

Posted by telnights

I'm shocked he could even get a visa to come in to the country. Seams like so many people are having visa issues so I'm shocked a x Russian convict got approved. Wonder what the medical reason is?

We may not know at all. According to Mania (my source), (Armando) Garcia couldn't elaborate due to California's very strict medical privacy laws.
lordicast
7/18/08 8:04:33PM
Man this is crap! this has UFC tampering all over it
mrsmiley
7/18/08 8:06:02PM
This sucks.Though I was wondering about the whole Visa thing for a while.
jiujitsufreak74
7/18/08 8:08:59PM

Posted by lordicast

no...just no...
ncordless
7/18/08 8:12:03PM

Posted by lordicast

Actually, I think it's a plot by communists... in cahoots with the Yakuza!
DCRage
7/18/08 8:13:40PM
2 words for tonight: DON KING! Revenge for all the hatin'! But seriously, this has been one of the craziest days in recent MMA memory: This, the UFC weigh-in thing with Irvin, Kid Yamamoto's injury and subsequent DREAM card decimation...7/18/08-a day that may forever live in MMA infamy.
lordicast
7/18/08 8:14:14PM

Posted by lordicast

no...just no...

Well until they give a reason (which they havent) im thinking Fertita had some connections up there at CSAC yes dude yes
jiujitsufreak74
7/18/08 8:16:26PM

Posted by lordicast

Posted by lordicast

no...just no...

Well until they give a reason (which they havent) im thinking Fertita had some connections up there at CSAC yes dude yes

well the Ferittas have way more connections in Vegas then they do in California. you damn conspiracy theorists always finding someway to make everything shady
ncordless
7/18/08 8:17:07PM

Posted by lordicast

Posted by lordicast

no...just no...

So they are guilty of your conspiracy theory until they prove they are innocent? I could say a couple of things about the american way, and about burden of proof... but I doubt that would do any good.
lordicast
7/18/08 8:18:03PM

Posted by lordicast

Posted by lordicast

no...just no...

well the Ferittas have way more connections in Vegas then they do in California. you damn conspiracy theorists always finding someway to make everything shady

man the world is shady....im just coloring
Bemin
7/18/08 8:39:56PM
Rumors (unconfirmed though) are that he failed the blood test, came up positive for Hep B. Again, unconfirmed at this time, but it would explain the last minute cancelation.
Mchubb316
7/18/08 9:05:53PM
I don't think this should ever happen. I don't know much about this topic, but it seems to me they should have this kinda stuff figured out in advance to prevent this from happening.
backalley101
7/18/08 10:01:12PM

Posted by lordicast

Come on now not the tampering card
cmill21
7/18/08 10:38:40PM

Posted by Bemin

Rumors (unconfirmed though) are that he failed the blood test, came up positive for Hep B. Again, unconfirmed at this time, but it would explain the last minute cancelation.

That would suck, he would never be able to fight in the US if that was true. Why was he able to fight in Canada? I thought we had comissions to lol.
Zekeil
7/18/08 11:24:38PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Aw this sucks big time. It was one of the fights i was most looking forward to on the card :(

Second time in as many days ive been let down by an awesome fight getting canceled.

Yeah that sucks. This was one of three fights I was really looking forward to on this card.
The whole card is great but Sylvia vs. Fedor then Arlovski vs Rothwell and then Aleks vs Paul where the ones I was looking forward to the most.

It seems like something is always falling through with Aleks's fights, He's one of my favorites.
Manfred
7/19/08 2:52:10AM

Posted by ncordless

Aleks can fight in the U.S., he just must have not followed the rules. Aleks' crime was commited before he was 18... and by law does not disqualify him from getting a visa. Not sure what happened, but if it's due to visa issues it's unlawful.

Posted by telnights

I've never seen anything concrete that said Aleks has been in jail. I've looked hard. An article about his tattoos was it.

This is from this weeks article in Sherdog with an in-depth interview with him:

Initially I was going to write an article on Aleks based on the interview. However, back home in Moscow, going over the interview material, I quickly understood that I would never be able to fit even a small portion of everything that we talked about into a piece that wasn't the length of a New Yorker magazine article. So I think it's best to leave things as they are, and present the unabridged version of our discussion.

One final point to make. You will inevitably be looking for confirmation or denial of the rumors that Aleks spent time in prison.He steadfastly maintains that he did not. Of his tattoos, he says that they are a collection of beautiful pictures, some of which he designed himself, and that any similarities to those in "Eastern Promises" are purely coincidental.

Given his competition time line in Sambo, if he did do time, he had to have been like 14 or 15.