Brandon Vera Wants HW And LHW Titles Within A Year!

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Brandon Vera Wants HW And LHW Titles Within A Year!
Porch28
4/22/08 8:50:31PM
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) contender Brandon (The Truth) Vera, who is half-Filipino, said he hopes to bring pride to the Philippines like his idol Manny Pacquiao by winning the heavyweight and lightheavyweight championships, possibly within a year, during a recent visit to Manila.

link
juanez13
4/22/08 9:08:36PM
I actually think he can win the HW title, if he gets through Werdum i think he can beat Nog, too fast for Nog on the feet and i dont think Nog can take him down, and if he does i dont think he'll get Vera in a sub, and after Nog there is no other real threat, other than yes, brock lesnar, if he learns sub defense i dont see many people beating him except Nog, and maybe Mir again, but i dont think Mir will make it to the title, id pick just about anyone close to the top over Mir (werdum, Vera,Nog,Herring...) About the LHW title, i think Vera is gettin too greedy, to start off the UFC wont want him to go down to LHW, and even if they do let him go down to LHW, he'll probably have to give up the HW belt.

However, if he looses a fight i think he'll drop down to LHW, which I'm curious to see.
jiujitsufreak74
4/22/08 9:12:17PM
great plan...too bad he is going to get submitted by Werdum

and at LHW...there are way too many contenders for him to get anywhere near a title shot within a year.
Twenty20Dollars
4/22/08 9:33:13PM
HW title he has a shot, LHW I dont think so. He would have to come in some great shape and fight a #1 contender fight. i'll be suprised if he wins one title. honestly.
Pitbull09
4/22/08 9:54:07PM
Maybe he should get a title shot before he runs his mouth for something that big. I personally dont think he could win either. Even if he did win HW, I doubt Dana would let him go for the LHW. Plus if Dana did, he would make him fight to get a shot and also be defending the HW title each 6 months.

I dont think its possible in the UFC now.
disorderlyvision
4/22/08 10:04:29PM
he can want in one hand and shxt in the other and see which one fills up first.

i think vera is a skilled fighter, but i dont see him getting either belt anytime soon. nog would sub him. nog got big tim down who has great TD defense. he would have no problems getting vera down. vera might do some damage but we all know nog can take a beating and still find a way to win. i think vera would have problems with werdum as well. and at LHW there is just no way he could get the title let alone within a year. LHW is stacked and i think there are to many that would beat vera. i think rampage, jardine, thiago silva, machida, lidell, would all beat him, and others like gouveia would give him a run for his money
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
4/22/08 11:10:07PM
this guy is way too cocky. hes too small for HW and LHW is stacked . HW is his best chance for a title IMO. werdum or nogeuira would sub him. I'd give gonzago, kongo, cro cop, and an in shape mir a good chance to beat him also.

i really like brandon vera but when he opens his mouth

its funny because he said the exact same thing a while ago after one of his fights. chuck was in the audience laughing.
Rush
4/22/08 11:28:21PM

Posted by Pitbull09

Maybe he should get a title shot before he runs his mouth for something that big. I personally dont think he could win either.

I agree. But I would change title shot to actually winning his previous fight(s). I really don't get these fighters saying they can take the title after they've lost their last fight. This one almost has me in stitches in that he's talking about takiing both titles in a year.
emfleek
4/22/08 11:31:41PM
People in hell want ice water, too...

Midgets wanna be tall...
PaleHorse
4/22/08 11:34:32PM

Posted by disorderlyvision

he can want in one hand and shxt in the other and see which one fills up first.

i think vera is a skilled fighter, but i dont see him getting either belt anytime soon. nog would sub him. nog got big tim down who has great TD defense. he would have no problems getting vera down. vera might do some damage but we all know nog can take a beating and still find a way to win. i think vera would have problems with werdum as well. and at LHW there is just no way he could get the title let alone within a year. LHW is stacked and i think there are to many that would beat vera. i think rampage, jardine, thiago silva, machida, lidell, would all beat him, and others like gouveia would give him a run for his money

You gotta remember that Tim Sylvia cheated (for the second time that we know of) in that fight and thats why the UFC quietly let him go. :-p
Rush
4/22/08 11:35:57PM

Posted by PaleHorse

You gotta remember that Tim Sylvia cheated (for the second time that we know of) in that fight and thats why the UFC quietly let him go. :-p

Right..... after giving him a title shot.
McBee
4/23/08 12:07:25AM
wasn't there a rumor that he was going to move to WEC
juanez13
4/23/08 6:51:31AM

Posted by McBee

wasn't there a rumor that he was going to move to WEC

Never heard of it. All i know is that he used to be in the WEC, doubt that he'll go back, plus WEC doesnt have a HW division
xburbx
4/23/08 8:35:56AM
How did Sylvia cheat against Vera? Either way, Vera isnt even close to a title shot. Not only did he lose to Sylvia, but he put on a boring piss poor showing.
ThaAxeMurderer7
4/23/08 11:06:11AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Vera say before his fight with big Timmy that if he lost he would move down to LHW? Anyway, I really can't give him a chance of winning both titles within a year because he hasn't even earned a title shot at HW yet. First he's got to beat Werdum, then hope that it is enough to get him a shot to face Big Nog. Maybe him and Nog will be the next coaches for TUF 8 and will have a title fight at the end of the year....
xburbx
4/23/08 11:09:02AM
If NOG and Vera are the next coaches, they might as well not do the show.
Lay_N_Pray
4/23/08 1:28:45PM
Vera is incapable of winning either title.

Heavweights: Big Nog, Werdum, Gonzaga, Kongo, Mir (I know he lost), Lesnar, Velasquez would all give him one hell of a time

LHW: Rampage, Shogun, Chuck, Machida, would also be pretty hard for him to handle.

Find a weight, stick with it, put some wins together and earn one title shot. He needs to try to stop taking on the world. The fact is he isn't Pac-Man, so he should just worry about being as good as he can be.
therionace
4/23/08 7:51:14PM
this guy is exciting but he is a long ways from winning two titles! he couldn't even get by silvia (no broken hand excuses, please!). who knows, maybe he can deliver what his big mouth predicts, but i highly doubt it.
xenophon
4/24/08 2:50:42PM
I think that he has a shot at the HW title if he can beat a couple top 10 contenders in the UFC. I don't think his time line is realistic. I'm not a big fan of him personally, but I do agree with him on the topic of the TRX and its efficacy.
EON
4/24/08 8:55:04PM
I'm not impressed with his fight with Sylvia, it leads me to believe Nog would submit him in 1 or 2 rounds. I think his best move is to cut down to 205 he'd probably be ripped at 205 since hes not at 220, i think LH is more stacked yeah but I like his chances better there.
jgtribbett
4/24/08 10:17:13PM
I think he has a good shot at HW... but not somuch atLHW.. he may be better at LHW.. but it wouldnt seem that way because 205 is so talent rich