UFC 77: Are Brandon Vera and Tim Sylvia Fighting for a Title Shot?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 77: Are Brandon Vera and Tim Sylvia Fighting for a Title Shot?
CornishMMA
10/9/07 1:26:22PM
After a nearly one-year absence from competition, undefeated UFC heavyweight Brandon Vera (8-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) will return to the octagon next weekend at UFC 77 to take on former champ Tim Sylvia (23-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC). If victorious, the charismatic Californian may ask UFC officials for a title shot...............

LINK
bezun
10/9/07 1:38:49PM
The Maine-iac by flying armbar.
kevietre
10/9/07 2:09:56PM
Nothing against Tim but I wouldn't want to see him and Randy again. It was such a one sided fight. On the other hand I think Vera would test Randy. But why isin't Arlovski in the mix. Him and Vera would be a WAR.
wrona666
10/9/07 2:18:06PM
Vera is a bad dude, but i dont eigther him or sylvia would deserve a title shot with a win. One exception would be if Vera runs over sylvia in the first round then it could be plausable, but i definately dont want to see Coutour Sylvia 3
TNunley
10/9/07 2:23:47PM

Posted by wrona666

Vera is a bad dude, but i dont eigther him or sylvia would deserve a title shot with a win. One exception would be if Vera runs over sylvia in the first round then it could be plausable, but i definately dont want to see Coutour Sylvia 3

Couture/Sylvia 2
NatedawgThaM
10/9/07 2:24:17PM
They will if Fedor does not sign since Kongo and Big Nog wouldn't be able to prepare in time...
CornishMMA
10/9/07 2:26:49PM

Posted by kevietre

Nothing against Tim but I wouldn't want to see him and Randy again. It was such a one sided fight. On the other hand I think Vera would test Randy. But why isin't Arlovski in the mix. Him and Vera would be a WAR.

AA has contract disputes with the UFC with 1 fight left on his current, he is apparently asking for more money but with his last 3 performances the UFC arent liking that idea and may now think he is expendable, he hasnt fought since April ttho FFS and dont forget before that Dana said if he beat Werdum he would get a shot.
Oh and hey it wasnt such a boring 1 sided fight now was it? come on you would have to love Randy VS Timmay 2, it would have to be more competative this time but of course The Natural would prevail
CornishMMA
10/9/07 2:32:10PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

They will if Fedor does not sign since Kongo and Big Nog wouldn't be able to prepare in time...

That is the correct, nothing else will factor in and this is the long and the short of it, makes the ufc 77 card alot more impressive, a title shot and a #1 contnder co main event
kevietre
10/9/07 2:32:30PM

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by kevietre

AA has contract disputes with the UFC with 1 fight left on his current, he is apparently asking for more money but with his last 3 performances the UFC arent liking that idea and may now think he is expendable, he hasnt fought since April ttho FFS and dont forget before that Dana said if he beat Werdum he would get a shot.
Oh and hey it wasnt such a boring 1 sided fight now was it? come on you would have to love Randy VS Timmay 2, it would have to be more competative this time but of course The Natural would prevail

True True. I was under that impression as well that Arlovski was going to get a title shot. Granted the Werdum fight wasnt too exciting but he did go bell to bell with a top ten heavyweight. Arlovksi should get the winner of Vera/ Sylvia which would truly determine the no.1 contender. But the problem with that is that he's already faught Timmay 3x.

And I agree with you that the Natural would prevail again which is kinda why i dont want to see it. On paper it looks like a bad match for Randy but after seeing the fight Randy has more ways to win. The reason why I said it was one sided was because Tim didn't have much offense but I see where your coming from.
CornishMMA
10/9/07 2:48:26PM
Yep he will definately have more offense this time, but wont be able to avoid the oak tree timber like takedowns

And they need a HW contender right now so it has to be this fight for Randy to fight on Feb 4th
wapttn
10/9/07 2:48:35PM
I'm gonna call joe silva up after this and lay it down.

Theres no way in hell they're not gonna sign fedor vs randy for the superbowl card. So sylvia vs vera.. winner fights the winner of kongo vs nog, the winner of that fight gets a title shot next summer. In the meantime, arlovski vs herring. The winner of that fight, fights the loser of the vera/sylvia fight unless its tim.. in which he'll fight the loser of the nog/kongo fight. The winner of that fight will get to face the loser of the fedor/couture matchup.

I dont know if that actually made sense.. but i know i'd love to see any of those matchups.
CornishMMA
10/9/07 2:54:06PM

Posted by wapttn

Theres no way in hell they're not gonna sign fedor vs randy for the superbowl card. So sylvia vs vera.. winner fights the winner of kongo vs nog, the winner of that fight gets a title shot next summer. In the meantime, arlovski vs herring. The winner of that fight, fights the loser of the vera/sylvia fight unless its tim.. in which he'll fight the loser of the nog/kongo fight. The winner of that fight will get to face the loser of the fedor/couture matchup.

I dont know if that actually made sense.. but i know i'd love to see any of those matchups.

All good matchups but it didnt make much sense as making the next HW title fight wait until July-ish is pointless, would be a 9/10 month break inbetween title fights, its obvious it should really be the winner of Kongo Big Nog but that fight has to wait and the timing dictates that this fight has to be the #1 contender fight, simple as that really
FantasyFighter
10/9/07 3:15:30PM

Posted by wapttn

Im with wapttn on this one. If the UFC is gonna call the Feb card a "Superbowl" of mixed martial arts, then Randy needs to fight Fedor. Randy has already been entertaining the idea of it in interviews. I mean cmon, can it really be anybody else and still be called the "Superbowl"? I dont see how. Whatever the contract negotiation situation is, they have to sign Fedor to not only validate the card but also the HW title. Just my thoughts.

Also, I do not mean to take anything away from anyone else in the talent-loaded UFC HW division. I personally believe that if Fedor isnt signed to be fighting in the UFC by early next year, then he doesnt really qualify as the #1 HW in the world anymore (regardless of how talented he seems to be).
CornishMMA
10/9/07 3:23:17PM

Posted by FantasyFighter

Im with wapttn on this one. If the UFC is gonna call the Feb card a "Superbowl" of mixed martial arts, then Randy needs to fight Fedor. Randy has already been entertaining the idea of it in interviews. I mean cmon, can it really be anybody else and still be called the "Superbowl"? I dont see how.

Its only called the superbowl card because its the usual annual show the same weekend as the actual superbowl, they arent using their already over-used catchphrase in this case

I never saw wapttn said "not" sign Fedor - thats pretty crazy IMHO dude, its looking unlikely at the moment tbh! He doesnt really need the money and he loves his country too much, he has this sambo event he wants to compete in, dunno when that is but maybe after that the UFC and his people could sort something out but it seems they are being pretty demanding and we all know what the ufc is like with "negotiating"
silverbullet
10/9/07 4:11:06PM
I think Tim Sylvia is one of the most underrated fighters in HW division today. He had a freak loss to Couture due to a prior back injury that later resulted in a surgery. Couture went on to defeat Napao, who frankly is a rather inexperienced BJJ fighter.

I see Tim beating Vera, and going on to take his belt back from Couture. I don't see why they would not grant Sylvia a title shot if he beats Vera. And I don't see how Randy could beat him the second time around.
wapttn
10/9/07 4:45:25PM

haha easy now.. i said 'theres no way in hell they're not gonna sign fedor vs randy for the superbowl card' which means that we have a hw bout in feburary, and another in the summer. I was right about the silva/liddel fight, i'll bet money on this one too.

My theory is that if it is that inredibly hard to sign to a contract, then he'll be signed to 1 fight.. vs randy. The payday would be huge, the crowd would be amazing, and it would probably go down as the biggest mma fight to date.. its hard for him to turn that down, especially if its only one fight and neither side has to deal with longterm agreements. Best case senario: Randy beats fedor, and now fedor has to sign a contract to get his image and respect back. Likely senario: fedor wins =( .. but hes reminded of what its like to fight in that kind of venue against that kind of competition and he signs.

as for the sylvia comment. The division is too deep for tim to get a titleshot after 1 fight. However, the truth is that he might. If fedor signs, then theres no way that sylvia deserves a title shot over fedor. However, if he doesnt sign, its likely that the winner of the sylvia/vera fight will have the shot because the winner of kongo/nog fight wont be ready
GrandMaster313
10/9/07 11:23:07PM
vera wins by late night Knee Delivery
CornishMMA
10/10/07 5:41:40AM

Posted by wapttn

My theory is that if it is that inredibly hard to sign to a contract, then he'll be signed to 1 fight.. vs randy. The payday would be huge, the crowd would be amazing, and it would probably go down as the biggest mma fight to date.. its hard for him to turn that down, especially if its only one fight and neither side has to deal with longterm agreements. Best case senario: Randy beats fedor, and now fedor has to sign a contract to get his image and respect back. Likely senario: fedor wins =( .. but hes reminded of what its like to fight in that kind of venue against that kind of competition and he signs.

Wont happen .......................

How stupid would it look to risk having Fedor on a 1 fight deal fight for the title (when no champion has ever done that before) and win it but then never fight in the UFC again, they just wouldnt do it i dont think

And your comment on Tim was really a repeat of the article and what everyone agrees, its correct he wouldnt be the true deserved contender as kongo/big nog take that place but timing dictates it would have to be the winner of this IF Fedor doesnt sign, which i dont think he will
tuvok500
10/10/07 8:24:55PM
well, i think that the winner of noguiera and kongo should be the #1 contender, vera and sylvia are in the race but not as close as noguiera.

i think that the winning of vera / sylvia should fight the winner of gonzaga / arlowski and the winner of that fight should have a shot against couture or noguiera.

i know , gonzaga / arlowski fight is just a suposition but anyways..

Sir_Karl
10/14/07 3:46:51PM
I think the Sylvia vs. Vera fight should be for the title, with Kongo getting a title shot against the winner.