Brandon Vera ~ Most Overrated in sports history

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Brandon Vera ~ Most Overrated in sports history
« Previous Page
Junior24
3/13/07 4:46:34PM
First, every citizen in the US has the God given right to earn as much money as possible. If he feels that he deserves 1M a fight so be it. That however, does not constitute him as overated. I believe everybody in this forum would agree, that he has got what it takes to be in the Top 10 and maybe Top 5. I personally dont think he is underated, I think he was underused. Vera should have fought Arlovski or Courture for #1 contender, then fight Tim, and the winner fight CC. I beleive he wanted the big fights and main events, but Dana wouldnt give it to him. I wouldnt be surprised if he is in Pride before the Summer. I beleive he is friends w/Dan Henderson, so that might influence him a bit.
Pyrenus
3/13/07 5:07:27PM
Not overrated. He's not even rated in the top 10 Heavyweights on this site. Overrated means he's rated too high, which obviously isn't the case.

Terrible topic. People just get upset that he left the UFC. We'll see him back soon.
shawneth
3/13/07 7:29:14PM
I kinda agree. He definitly isnt a bad fighter by any stretch of the imagination, but i do agree he is overrated. The oponents he has beaton have not earned him a position within the top 10 as many of the people here have him in. Neither do i think he could defeat any of the Top 10 heavywieths. Maybe within the next few years he'll show me alittle more and i'll have ranked there aswell.

I also think he would be much more of a force at Lightheavyweight. But he shows courage by choosing to fight with the bigger guys. Props for dat.
FBD
3/13/07 8:51:21PM
yeah 200k a fight is ridiculous. and if he thinks hes worth it, or is even that big of a draw for fans, hes smoking crack. if rich franklin is only making 20k a fight and 20k to win, then vera is worth less than that.
TheArtOfWar
3/13/07 9:29:35PM

Posted by FBD

yeah 200k a fight is ridiculous. and if he thinks hes worth it, or is even that big of a draw for fans, hes smoking crack. if rich franklin is only making 20k a fight and 20k to win, then vera is worth less than that.

lol
personnaly i think that he is a very good fighter( for sure he s got the potential to become one )
does he deserve 1000k$ / fight ? I don t think so...
migo
3/13/07 10:47:41PM

Posted by strikefirstgear

I am not a fan of Vera (except what he has done in the ring) but it seems to me that if he is being offered over a million a fight in another organization and 200k a fight in the UFC then the decision is an easy one.

If another company offered me 5 times the amount I was currently making to work for them I would have to give my current company a chance to pay that and then move on. I am an extremely loyal guy and all but thats 5 times the amount. For me and my family the decision would be clear.

1 fight in EliteXC = 5 fights in UFC - same payday! No brainer.

I dont think he is afraid to fight anyone. Business is business. I hope he doesn't burn bridges because when Elite XC goes away he will be wanting to come back.

Just my thoughts.

It's even better. 1.5 million signing bonus, 1 million per fight. 1 fight in EliteXC = 2.5 million. That's 12 fights in the UFC. He can easily go to EliteXC, have his fights there, if they fold the UFC will definitely accept him back. If EliteXC folds then Brandon will accept the lower price that UFC offers, but he Still got at least 2.5 million dollars. Anyone who criticisises what Brandon is doing is either selfish, stupid, horrible at math or completely inept at finances, or a combination of all of them.
Wannabe78
3/13/07 11:38:09PM

Posted by Savy

The title of this thread is absolutely absurd. Bash the guy for being greedy all you want; but don't say he is overrated.
He tapped Auserrio Silva in the first round. Tim Sylvia couldn't finish him in 15 minutes.
Vera is one of the most complete fighters around. Great hands, excelent leg kicks, background in greco...
I don't support what he's doing on the business side of things, but that aint my business. But I am a huge fan of what he does in the ring. Vera will be a force for many years to come.

I'm with you.
Pages: 1 [2]