Is brandon vera overated?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Is brandon vera overated?
POLL: OVERATED???
YES 39% (15)
MAYBE 24% (9)
NO 37% (14)
TheHitmanTL
7/13/07 1:47:44AM
i think soo i mean look at his record he beat a washed up frank mir...assuerio silva whos never even came close to winning in the UFC ...he koed justin eilers whos record is pretty lame as well and not to forget fabiano scherner...who the hell is that guy anyways IMO chuck liddell would stomp him and so would sylvia the guys talks wayy tooo much crap...lets face it...until he fights an A class fighter then well know if hes the real deal or not....
ProfessorChaos
7/13/07 2:18:18AM
Actually he is pretty underrated.

He would stomp Liddell and Sylvia. It'd probably be a first round tko vs Chuck and a UD vs Sylvia because of his size.

It's not that he just beats people.... He completely destroys them quickly.
nellyhiphophead
7/13/07 2:31:44AM
i think he would be up there at 205 and don't see to many ppl beating him mean while runing him over. he is to small at hw and needs to drop down casue no i don't think he can hang with the top guys there.
ProfessorChaos
7/13/07 2:41:45AM
Who do you have ahead of him at the HW division.

Fedor
Cro Cop
Big Nog
Coutoure
Barnett
Gonzaga
Vera????

I see Vera beating Sylvia and Arlovski at HW.

I think it would take him a long time to get to 205 and not lose too much. When he gets to 205 I see him being around the top 5-7.
nellyhiphophead
7/13/07 2:56:07AM

Posted by ProfessorChaos

Fedor
Cro Cop
Big Nog
Coutoure
Barnett
Gonzaga
Vera????

I think it would take him a long time to get to 205 and not lose too much. When he gets to 205 I see him being around the top 5-7.

i think him and arlovski woudl be a great fight and would be a toss up on the winner maybe. then i think cro cop, sylvia, gonzaga, coutoure and big nog taking him out. but i think he is a sick fight and could be faster then those guys and out pointing them and maybe even sliping in a sub on any of them besides maybe nog. it is the ufc so anyone can win but i don;t like his chances of gettign his hands on teh belt. but at 205 i think he is in the top 3-5 right away and would stay there.
Northrend
7/13/07 3:18:15AM

Posted by ProfessorChaos

Fedor
Cro Cop
Big Nog
Coutoure
Barnett
Gonzaga
Vera????

I would put Werdum and Aleks above him. Yes I feel he is overrated but I still think he is a good fighter. Him vs Chuck would be intresting to say the least.
TheHitmanTL
7/13/07 4:35:50AM

Actually he is pretty underrated.

He would stomp Liddell and Sylvia. It'd probably be a first round tko vs Chuck and a UD vs Sylvia because of his size.

It's not that he just beats people.... He completely destroys them quickly.

whatever your smoking....i want some....no way he knocks liddell out maybe a submission if hes lucky i cant believe what im hearing liddell wins via knock out 2nd round
KodytheButcher
7/13/07 4:39:49AM
yea no way he will knock chuck out ill even say chuck in the first round

and ill take some of what ur smoking too
Mastodon2
7/13/07 4:42:35AM
I believe he is pretty overrated, everyone flaps on about him so much, but I've never really seen anything that has made me say "Yes, this guy is the real deal". I dont think he is a top HW, infact I think even Arlovski could beat him, even the 50% Arlovski we've seen coming to the UFC recently.

The HW division is just filling up with too much quality talent for Vera to handle.
thepunisher
7/13/07 9:12:08AM
I wouldn't say overrated but i would say over hyped
Eazee_E
7/13/07 9:50:34AM
Overhyped is a good word. He was a big fish in a small pond earlier this year when the heavyweight division was in shambles. There was no real other choice to get a title shot against Timmy.
Yes Vera is undefeated, but has he really had a solid opponent yet? Mir? No. He could be capable of beating Timmy and AA, I'm not sure yet. I'd like to see him beat someone of quality before he's anoited future of the hwt division.
TheRealClayman
7/13/07 9:58:46AM

Posted by thepunisher

I wouldn't say overrated but i would say over hyped

I would say this is the better statement. The guy obviously has skills and he is really quick which works to an advantage in the HW division because most off the bigger guys are a bit slower.

That being said , overhyped is the better term because for all we hear about him , he really has not beat anyone of note. i would love to say Mir was a great win because I hope every day that we will see him be the fighter he once was. But reality states otherwise right now. So until he starts whooping it up on some bigger competition , then he will be just another self hyped machine.
thepunisher
7/13/07 11:12:00AM
I wouldn't say it is a self hyping he does talk alot and i think the things people were saying about him might have gone to his head. But it is more his fans, people seen him take apart Mir and thought he was the 2nd coming or something he has 8 fights, not one top 10 guy i would say he has fought any one in the top30. Put him in there against some top tier fighters and then we can see what he is made of.
This of course may never happen becuase his UFC seems to be content on keeping him on the shelf
pv3Hpv3p
7/13/07 11:21:36AM
Who really knows??? He's looked damn immpressive everytime he's stepped out there... I would really like to see him fight again... And more importantly fight someone of significance
juanez13
7/13/07 11:55:03AM
i dont think think he is overrated, he does talk alot but everytime the put someone in front of him he wins, end of story...i can see big nog beating vera, and cro cop, and many other fightters but until i see him loose i wont say anything
AchillesHeel
7/13/07 12:00:40PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Who really knows??? He's looked damn immpressive everytime he's stepped out there... I would really like to see him fight again... And more importantly fight someone of significance

I agree. Less talk, more fighting.