Brandon Vera issued release after lopsided loss to Thiago Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Brandon Vera issued release after lopsided loss to Thiago Silva
AchillesHeel
1/6/11 11:07:54AM
Brandon Vera issued release after lopsided loss to Thiago Silva

Posted by Brendhan Conlan on Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 9:41 am

Fighters face adversity at any given event due to the nature of their chosen endeavor, but in the case of calamity attached to Brandon Vera’s performance against Thiago Silva last weekend at UFC 125 there’s no doubting “The Truth” hurts. Vera, once viewed as being a double-divisional title-contender, was not only soundly beaten by his Brazilian adversary but also suffered a horrific broken nose in the process in addition to an embarrassing open-handed drumming from Silva reminiscent of Randy Couture spanking Tito Ortiz at UFC 44.

Were those things not enough, according to a source near the situation, Five Ounces of Pain has learned the lanky light heavyweight also received a pink-slip from the UFC as a result of the loss.

(Cont.)
BigIP
1/6/11 11:48:10AM
He either needs to move down to Middleweight (did you see how thin his legs are?) or if he can't make weight he needs to change camps ASAP. Greg Jackson's camp would be perfect.
DCRage
1/6/11 12:42:24PM
No, he needs to go back up to Heavyweight.
jjeans
1/6/11 12:42:57PM
I think he'll cause quite a stir wherever he ends up
prozacnation1978
1/6/11 12:54:01PM
He needs to get his nose fixed first then switch camps
Strikeforce should get him. There light heavy division is like only 5 man deep
Hendo67
1/6/11 1:08:24PM
He needs to change his nickname first and foremost to "The Lie"
pmoney
1/6/11 1:23:10PM

Posted by DCRage

Is that a joke? If he moved up to HW it shouldn't be in the UFC
teddythetuna
1/6/11 1:52:25PM
Not suprising. He hasnt been that impressive lately. Too bad for Vera though. Hope he gets his nose repaired and comes back stronger. He would be a good addition to a smaller organization for sure.
Bloodhound
1/6/11 2:19:07PM
hate to see anyone cut but it just seemed like a matter of time with Brandon Vera, hope he bounces back in a small organization or maybe sign to a Bellator or Strikeforce.
gartface
1/6/11 2:19:45PM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by DCRage

Is that a joke? If he moved up to HW it shouldn't be in the UFC

I've been saying this for a while DC, you're right. The one thing that gave him an advantage at heavyweight was his speed. At 205, it seems virtually eliminated.

He'll be a solid addition to promotions not named UFC.
sbulldavid
1/6/11 2:33:15PM
I think he will return to heavyweight, where he'll have a speed and technique advantage, at LHW he's just another LHW. If he joins Strikeforce he'll stay at 205 because they need another name.
gcraig22
1/6/11 2:54:56PM
The year he took off from 11/06 to 10/07 ruined his career. He used to fight with aggression, he used to think his Muay Thai and Jui-Jitsu were superior to others. Most of his losses are by decision. It seems like he fights not to lose now.
BigIP
1/6/11 3:10:31PM

Posted by sbulldavid

I think he will return to heavyweight, where he'll have a speed and technique advantage, at LHW he's just another LHW. If he joins Strikeforce he'll stay at 205 because they need another name.

I don't think it's a question of speed. His standup looked really fast and crisp against Silva. His problem was strength. He was manhandled by Silva. Vera's legs are very skinny. Moving to heavyweight is a bad idea. He is not like Diego.
gartface
1/6/11 3:21:00PM

Posted by BigIP

Posted by sbulldavid

I don't think it's a question of speed. His standup looked really fast and crisp against Silva. His problem was strength. He was manhandled by Silva. Vera's legs are very skinny. Moving to heavyweight is a bad idea. He is not like Diego.

So you want his legs to get thinner and a Cory Hill situation happens again?
Jackelope
1/6/11 3:29:48PM
Brandon Vera has never been the same since he split with his old camp way back when. He bought into his own hype, didn't move to a camp that knew how to train him as he personally needed to be trained, and ultimately he lost the fire. No amount of speed or strength he could gain by moving up or down is going to turn his career around if you're asking me. It's all mental and has been for a long time
BustedKnuckle
1/6/11 6:47:36PM
Not suprissed by this move at all. It was his third loss in a row and 3-6 record in his last 9 fights is not the way to stay in the UFC. Beating only Mike Patt, Resee Andy and K-Sos.