Brandon Vera injured, out of UFC on FX 3 rematch with Thiago Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Brandon Vera injured, out of UFC on FX 3 rematch with Thiago Silva
FastKnockout
2/4/12 3:10:58PM
A scheduled rematch between Thiago Silva and Brandon Vera will have to wait.

UFC officials today announced that Vera has suffered an undisclosed injury, and a replacement is being sought for his light-heavyweight bout with Silva at May's UFC on FX 3 event.

The show is scheduled for May 15 at the Patriot Center in Fairfax, Va. The night's main card airs on FX.

LINK
FastKnockout
2/4/12 3:13:14PM
I don't want to jump to conclusions buuuuut...
State_Champ
2/4/12 3:16:01PM
Here's what I thought was going to happen when I learned that Vera was fighting Thiago Silva again:

1)Vera get rematch vs Thiago Silva.
2)Vera and Silva fight.
3)Vera loses and gets injured. And cut from the UFC.

So, as far as I;m concerned, Vera just skipped a step and went straight to the injure phase. Very efficient.
BuffaloDave
2/4/12 3:17:01PM
Vera injured pre-fight? On the bright side, it saves him from being injured in Octagon.

Probably see someone like Pokrajac take the fight, as a lot of the other LHW's have fights booked in the coming months.
Budgellism
2/4/12 3:31:45PM
I don't like to wish injury on any fighter but I love this. Maybe we'll see Silva in a fight he should actually be in.
DrivenDavies15
2/4/12 4:11:04PM
wow must be a bad injury if he pulled out over 3 months before the fight...
I'd fake an injury if I had to fight Silva too ;)
nahhh im sure it legit, get better soon Vera so Silva can beat you down once more.
BeeR
2/4/12 4:14:26PM
he blew his anus out, shitting his pants that he had to fight him again.
jae_1833
2/4/12 4:19:16PM
Oh for Christ's sake.....this isn't the greatest rematch in the world to begin with and is pretty much just a courtesy fight for both of them (prove its all in the juice or an easy fight to come back to). Just find a way to make it happen because I don't want to hear about this crap for the span of an entire season.
lohmann
2/4/12 4:46:16PM
This fight was going to be terrible anyway. I doubt Brandon Vera learned enough to combat the onslaught of offense Thiago Silva brought against him the first time out. The steroids may have aided Silva last January, but even a juiced-up fighter is not a superman that can destroy his opponent as efficiently as that drubbing; Thiago Silva is just better than Brandon Vera. Vera was not even close, and even though Silva had an edge with his steroids, removing the edge would still put Silva comfortably ahead of Vera in the competition of who can claim to be the better fighter.

As an aside, Thiago Silva deserves to be thrown into a fight he is not overwhelmingly favored to win. Anybody coming off a positive steroid test should not be given a tune-up fight to get rid of the rust; he forced himself out of the sport for his suspension and should be treated as if he has not missed a day. When Sonnen returned from his suspension, the UFC did not pamper him. They gave him a borderline top ten middleweight two or three wins away from a title shot. Thiago Silva should be treated no differently.

And for that reason, give Silva Alexander Gustafsson. That would be electric.
BuffaloDave
2/4/12 4:49:40PM

Posted by lohmann

He's headlining against Lil' Nog on the Sweden card.
lohmann
2/4/12 4:56:34PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by lohmann

Damn. I'm sure Joe Silva will figure it out. I was just dreaming.
BuffaloDave
2/4/12 5:01:31PM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by lohmann

Damn. I'm sure Joe Silva will figure it out. I was just dreaming.

He was the first person that I thought of as well, I did some looking around at who's available to fight him, came up with Pokrajac. or Bonnar.
bjj1605
2/4/12 5:23:46PM
I was actually really excited for this fight.

I'm sad to see it cancelled.

I think whether it was "all in the juice" is an important question.
Pookie
2/4/12 6:11:11PM
Is Shogun lined up against anyone?

That's a slugfest Thiago has no chance surviving.
Afflicted
2/4/12 7:12:51PM
I say give him Hendo, I know he says he wants to waiy for a title shot, but he could smash Thiago and teach him a lesson. Shogun would work too
Lesnar1
2/5/12 1:33:11AM
Shame for Vera but good in some way for the fans, it's not like they'd like to see another one sided beatdown, I like the idea of Pokrajac as a replacement.
prozacnation1978
2/5/12 2:26:32AM
Silva vs Phil Davis
SamPan
2/5/12 12:47:20PM
He could fight the winner of Rampage vs. Bader
Wolfenstein
2/5/12 3:12:20PM
Always thought Thago and Stephan Bonnar would be an awesome fght.
Cooler
2/5/12 8:49:36PM
Sometimes I wonder if the UFC just pulls guys out of fights where there is backlash from fans or where nobody thinks the guy can win. This seems to be the case here, how do you sign a fight one week and injured the next. Fishy.
tmas
2/6/12 12:54:48AM

Posted by Cooler

Sometimes I wonder if the UFC just pulls guys out of fights where there is backlash from fans or where nobody thinks the guy can win. This seems to be the case here, how do you sign a fight one week and injured the next. Fishy.

because generally injuries happen really fast at random unpredictiable moments. not over the course of several weeks......
Cooler
2/6/12 2:19:10AM

Posted by tmas

Posted by Cooler

because generally injuries happen really fast at random unpredictiable moments. not over the course of several weeks......

Didn't seem very unpredictable, that's the point......