Brandon Vera vs. Fabricio Werdum @ UFC 85

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Brandon Vera vs. Fabricio Werdum @ UFC 85
babalu2720
2/20/08 9:09:54PM
Heavyweight contenders Brandon Vera and Fabricio Werdum are slated to square off at UFC 85 on Saturday, June 7 at the O2 Arena in London, The Fight Network has learned. No agreements have been signed, but the bout has been presented to both men, according to a source within one of their camps.

http://www.thefightnetwork.com/news_detail.php?nid=6354
jiujitsufreak74
2/20/08 9:14:06PM
good, i am glad they didn't give werdum the title shot like they said they would. i am glad he has to fight someone else, and vera is a very interesting match up for him. i wonder if this will stay on the feet or on the ground...either way i am going to pick werdum here because i have to go with my JJ guys. this is going to be a good fight, hopefully its not like the AA fight. this can go down like vera's fight with mir and see him KO werdum, but i think werdum has enough skills on the feet to avoid the KO and either get the decision or the sub.
kevietre
2/20/08 9:15:19PM
I was under the impression Wedum was getting a title shot but I would rather see this and let Kongo get his shot if he can get past Herring. Either that or throw Mir back into the mix. I give the striking advantage to Vera and the ground game to Werdum but Werdum will def. stand and trade with Vera. This should be a great fight since Vera admitted to a bad performance against Big Tim he's going to come out agressive. I think Vera has the ability to knock out Werdum in the first.
cmill21
2/20/08 9:17:35PM
I think this will be a good fight. Werdum's improving on the feet, and his ground game needs no comment, and Vera has good striking and a good ground game. Interested in seeing how good Vera really is.
SpiderSilva
2/20/08 9:21:30PM
well this is gonna be a good fight if it happens I say Vera via KO
Mayhem13
2/20/08 9:27:33PM
Werdum should win this, he is a little bit better total package....but Vera definately could win....nice match up

for Joe Silva (if he makes an account on here)
Porch28
2/20/08 9:28:06PM
Vera by UD
Ordep
2/20/08 9:28:10PM
UFC 85 looking good

Liddell-Shogun
Vera-Werdum
Marcus Davis- _______ (I think I'll be Lytle)
jiujitsufreak74
2/20/08 9:34:21PM

Posted by Ordep

UFC 85 looking good

Liddell-Shogun
Vera-Werdum

if Marcus fights on that card i will be in heaven. this cad is starting to look very good as of late. i think Marcus would KO Lytle in the 2nd if they ever fought...just a bad match up for Lytle stylistically. Lytle would be a good win under his belt. i think he a rematch with Alves would be amazing. either way, as long as he fights i'll be happy although i would like him to fight top ten competition soon.
RMFG_187
2/20/08 9:38:43PM
My pick is Vera in this one, although i still have doubts about his wrist/hand (which ever one was broke). anyone know if he is truly at 100%?
MALICE
2/20/08 10:00:01PM
Werdum was looking really good against Gonzaga. Vera better bring his A game to this fight.
tuvok500
2/20/08 10:04:14PM
Go Vera !!

whardin19
2/20/08 10:21:31PM
I thought Werdum was next in line for a title shot? This is kind of a weird matchup. What's it going to prove if Werdum beats Vera? Vera isn't better than Gonzaga. Werdum has got everything to lose here and nothing to really gain. I really can't understand him accepting this fight. Does this mean Mir is the next in line for the title shot or is it Kongo if he beats Herring? Wow, the Heavyweight divsion is confusing me right now...lol!
juanez13
2/20/08 10:24:38PM
im taking vera on this one, i just see his stand up better, and on the ground he is good enough not to get subbed.......this is def a good match up, much better than giving Werdum an un deserved title shot.............
wolfman
2/20/08 10:46:04PM
I think Werdum has this one, Vera is in trouble imo.
NatedawgThaM
2/20/08 10:48:54PM
This makes sense how? Especially for Werdum who was supposely the #1 contender? This is a horrible match up for him. He might have the better BJJ, but Vera's is almost just as good with all those grappling tournament wins under his belt, he won't be getting submitted. Vera is going to wreck him on the feet.

Werdum isn't strong enough or tall enough like Big Tim to just hold an explosive Vera against the cage. Vera by a clear decision.
loller90278
2/21/08 1:34:20AM
i'm getting so tired of dana white and lorenzo fertittas antics. first they say the winner of arlovski-werdum gets a crack at the title, but no -- they bench arlovksi for 6 months.. now gonzaga was to get a title shot after beating gonzaga and he's fighting vera now?

they need to stop screwing up the whole division.

ThaAxeMurderer7
2/21/08 3:14:41AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Ordep

UFC 85 looking good

Liddell-Shogun
Vera-Werdum

if Marcus fights on that card i will be in heaven. this cad is starting to look very good as of late. i think Marcus would KO Lytle in the 2nd if they ever fought...just a bad match up for Lytle stylistically. Lytle would be a good win under his belt. i think he a rematch with Alves would be amazing. either way, as long as he fights i'll be happy although i would like him to fight top ten competition soon.

Brock Lesnar is also rumored for 85.
Pookie
2/21/08 6:06:41AM
I totally called this, right after werdum won.

Perfect match-up, and i am a god for knowing this would happen.
Focker101
2/21/08 7:39:35AM
Vera R2 KO
silverbullet
2/21/08 8:50:36AM
I like this match up.

Werdum by whatever he wants
CornishMMA
2/21/08 10:18:45AM

On who to pick that is

Great #1 contender fight cos Vera shouldnt lose much stock losing to Timmay the way he did and Werdum certainly doesnt deserve a title shot by beating GG so this is a great fight to make
prozacnation1978
2/21/08 10:54:32AM
i don't see this a number one contender fight vera lost his last match, either kongo wins next month and he gets a title shot, there waiting for randy, or since cro cop is gone right now they resign arlovski if he wins next month and he finally gets his title shot
saemskin
2/21/08 11:16:59AM
Fair or not, I think it will be a great matchup for both of them. It could go either way, but I'd like to see my boy Vera take the cake and move on to fight Mir.
silverbullet
2/21/08 11:30:46AM

Posted by saemskin

Fair or not, I think it will be a great matchup for both of them. It could go either way, but I'd like to see my boy Vera take the cake and move on to fight Mir.

Mir?
Leland
2/21/08 11:45:21AM
come on. bad matchup. Vera lost, Werdum won. Werdum doesnt deserve to fight someone who just lost? Werdum was a title contender a couple weeks ago. Im confused? if Vera wins is he taking Werdums contender spot? It's all wack I tell ya.
Kpro
2/21/08 1:03:21PM
Vera is 4-1 in the UFC; Werdum is 1-1 in the UFC.

Yeah Werdum beat Gonzaga, but Vera beat Mir.

I really don't see how Werdum has more to lose; he hasn't proven himself at all.

If they had given him a title shot after 1 win over a guy who made his name off of 1 flash knockout and ignored Vera and Kongo (both 4-1), that would've been horrible.
Gipper
2/21/08 2:19:59PM
another unreal fight. fukeneh ufc!!
NewGuy
2/22/08 7:45:53AM
Werdum should take this fight. His BJJ is going to come into play over Vera.