Brandon Vera: Dan Henderson, Wanderlei Silva and Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou turned down UFC Fight Night 14 offers

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Brandon Vera: Dan Henderson, Wanderlei Silva and Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou turned down UFC Fight Night 14 offers
SmileR
7/14/08 10:23:09AM
“They offered me Dan Henderson, Wanderlei Silva, Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, Lyoto Machida and then Reese Andy. I turned down Machida. He’s not someone you take on short notice. You gotta get ready for Machida. The other fighters turned down the other fights so that’s how we came to Reese.”

Heavyweight-turned light heavyweight, Brandon Vera, reveals a personal behind the scenes take on what went down in the scramble to put together UFC Fight Night 14: “Silva vs. Irvin” on short notice to counter the Affliction “Banned” show that same evening (July 19). It appears that there were a lot of names and potential match ups swirling; however, not everyone was comfortable competing with little time to prepare. James Irvin — who takes on Anderson Silva in the main event — recently told MMAmania.com that four fighters turned down offers to take on “Spider” before he was approached.

Link
nickcuc547
7/14/08 10:27:22AM
man those guys need to step it up, wandy didn't take any damage against jardine. but with that said i guess brandon vera isn't a guy you want to take on short notice just like machida.
jocka
7/14/08 11:49:15AM

Posted by nickcuc547

man those guys need to step it up, wandy didn't take any damage against jardine. but with that said i guess brandon vera isn't a guy you want to take on short notice just like machida.

I agrea they should step it up, lol its easy for me to say lol
scoozna
7/14/08 11:53:26AM
That's what's bad about "throwing together" a fight like this. You put fighters in a position where they need go against other top fighters on short notice. It's a different world now, they don't all feel compelled to fight every time they are made an offer. If they do take the offer, they may go in less than well prepared and lose.
Twenty20Dollars
7/14/08 12:04:44PM
well those guys should have turned down the fight like they did. Because they all need wins right now and why risk not getting a win when you only have a shorter time to train. Doesnt seem right.

I mean it's not these fighters fault, it's dana white trying to counter program. Let me add this too, is vera faces one of those guys he could have a better chance of losing to them than to reese andy. So vera would have 3 straight losses.

But revealing these names isnt going to help vera get liked at 205.
SpiderSilva
7/14/08 12:13:33PM
I just want to say I also turned down a fight with Brandon Vera

J/K
warglory
7/14/08 12:13:45PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

well those guys should have turned down the fight like they did. Because they all need wins right now and why risk not getting a win when you only have a shorter time to train. Doesnt seem right.

I mean it's not these fighters fault, it's dana white trying to counter program. Let me add this too, is vera faces one of those guys he could have a better chance of losing to them than to reese andy. So vera would have 3 straight losses.

But revealing these names isnt going to help vera get liked at 205.

Yes, but all of these guys are professionals, and from what I've heard, most fighters prefer to fight more regularly than every 3 months, so what's the big deal? Everyone knows that when fighters step up in a relative emergency, you will inevitably be in Dana's good graces. Is their a quicker way to get into title contention? James Irvin is the man for stepping up against Spider, and even if he loses, he will definitely be one of Dana's guys. 3-4 weeks of training doesn't sound too bad when it could spell a major advancement for your career.
Gipper
7/14/08 12:55:35PM
i disagree i think hendo, wand and soku pose just as many problems as machida. hope to see vera fight one of these four in his next lhw fight. if not then chuck liddell. vera has always said he wanted to fight liddell.
scoozna
7/14/08 1:06:15PM

Posted by Gipper

i disagree i think hendo, wand and soku pose just as many problems as machida. hope to see vera fight one of these four in his next lhw fight. if not then chuck liddell. vera has always said he wanted to fight liddell.

I agree with this...I wasn't sure how to interpret the article...would Vera have taken one of those fights??? Or did he just say that they all turned down the fight, and therefore he didn't have to.
king_katool
7/14/08 1:40:12PM
ye it doesnt even say they were going to fight him just that they didnt want to fight on short notice was it agasint vera or some1 else
CantAndleDaRiddum
7/14/08 2:33:11PM

i dont think any of us have enough info on these guys personal lives or their training to judge them for not taking these fights on short notice

no one should flame any of these guys
Bowen50
7/14/08 3:05:04PM
taking a fight on short notice against a guy like brandon vera is dangerous. i don't blame any of them for turning it down.
DevonFoxy
7/14/08 3:32:26PM
I really don't buy it personally I think if any of the three fighters accepted the fight Vera would have turned them down just as he did for Machida. If he turned down Machida why in the heck would he agree to fight any of the other three (perhaps with the exception of Soko).

Personally I think he wanted an easier test when he jumps into the deep LHW division so he got Reese. No offense to Reese but he's not in the same conversation with the other guys.

They may have turned down the fight but don't let Vera fool you into thinking he would have taken the fight anyway even if those guys said yes. I don't buy it.
joshryanshepherd
7/14/08 3:38:20PM
well all i have to say is if all these top level fighters are turning down fights with Machida and Tito didn't, someone has GOT to give Ortiz Credit!
CantAndleDaRiddum
7/14/08 4:03:53PM

Posted by joshryanshepherd

well all i have to say is if all these top level fighters are turning down fights with Machida and Tito didn't, someone has GOT to give Ortiz Credit!

damn i never thought anyone whould say anything to make me respect tito
Wolfenstein
7/14/08 5:18:35PM
I'd like to see UFC 91 "Like it or not, you're fighting each other"

I understand maybe some fighters have grown close relationships to each other in MMA camps, but some camps are getting so big like "American Top Team" etc that fighters are eventually going to have to fight each other. It sucks maybe, but hey business is business and you'll still be friends after.

I'm sure you're not saying in sparring practice, "Ugh nah your my buddy Lyoto I can't hit ya man."

Guys who have trained together fight all the time, so I don't see the big deal with some ofthese guys completely ruling out the possibility.
prozacnation1978
7/14/08 6:06:23PM
i think they would all have taken the match against vera with time and prep,
myself i would rather fight on a pay per view main card in vegas or a big city than heading to nebraska of all places
cmill21
7/14/08 8:21:06PM
Lol Wand doesn't turned down fights unless he absolutly can't fight, Hendo said he was offered the fight with Vera and then they took it away, and Soko doesn't seem like he turns down fights since he face Nog, Arona and Machida without saying much. I don't know why people say anything about who turned down offers to fight.
mrsmiley
7/15/08 5:28:53AM
Their's one simple reason why they all turned down fights.
Because their all going to be watching Affliction!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't it be funny if those guys showed up in the Affliction auidience as oppesed to the UFC event?
balack_o-bama
7/23/08 2:55:42PM

Posted by luke420187

I'd like to see UFC 91 "Like it or not, you're fighting each other"

I understand maybe some fighters have grown close relationships to each other in MMA camps, but some camps are getting so big like "American Top Team" etc that fighters are eventually going to have to fight each other. It sucks maybe, but hey business is business and you'll still be friends after.

I'm sure you're not saying in sparring practice, "Ugh nah your my buddy Lyoto I can't hit ya man."

Guys who have trained together fight all the time, so I don't see the big deal with some ofthese guys completely ruling out the possibility.

What the **** does that have to do with anything. Go start a thread on it or something.