Brandon Vera not cut by the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Brandon Vera not cut by the UFC
FastKnockout
2/22/11 8:44:36PM
Light heavyweight Brandon Vera is still a UFC fighter.

Vera was cut by the promotion this past month following his third consecutive loss, which came against Thiago Silva at UFC 125.

However, it has been learned that the result of that bout is expected to be changed to a "no contest" following additional scrutiny of Silva's post-fight drug test, and the promotion has rescinded Vera's release, sources close to the event told MMAjunkie.com.

LINK
postman
2/22/11 8:50:35PM
I wonder if they would have any legal issues had they not?
FastKnockout
2/22/11 8:59:54PM
I just don't see how that fight could have gone any differently. Even if Silva didn't have "issues" in his samples, the fight probably wouldn't have been any less dominate.
postman
2/22/11 9:48:30PM
At that level Cardio and strength are so important I can't say it would or woulnd't have made a differance but its just not right to let a guy go because another broke rules and laws in the fight they made the differance.
Twenty20Dollars
2/22/11 10:59:16PM
I think he should still be cut. What are they going to do throw him a can again to get a win?
tcunningham
2/23/11 12:08:00AM
yeah i still think vera should still be gone. lucky break for him
SamPan
2/23/11 2:10:25AM
I bet he's a replacement for Vemola
vomitshovel
2/23/11 3:36:52AM
I'm glad to see this. Maybe Vera will stay - he probably wont. However it's good to see the UFC doing the right thing and not turning a blind eye.
TBH i'd be VERY pissed off if i lost to a guy and got kicked out of the best job in the world coz he was juiced or whatever.
Pookie
2/23/11 4:26:58AM

Posted by SamPan

Cane v. Vera! Good call.
quezocrema0032
2/23/11 7:59:23AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by SamPan

Cane v. Vera! Good call.

That is a good call obvious pink slipper.
The only fight I could imagine that would be a more obvious pink slipper would be vera and tito
tallica62
2/23/11 8:59:18AM
I like Vera, but he currently doesnt have what it takes to be UFC contender. Unless he insanely drastically improves, he'll be cut in no time. Maybe theyll feed him to the lions to just expedite his departure rather than then him build against smaller/not as good opponents
postman
2/23/11 9:29:49AM

Posted by tallica62

I like Vera, but he currently doesnt have what it takes to be UFC contender. Unless he insanely drastically improves, he'll be cut in no time. Maybe theyll feed him to the lions to just expedite his departure rather than then him build against smaller/not as good opponents

Not every fighter is going to be a contender. You need middle of the road guys to fill holes be the bridge for guys like Jon Jones between up and comer and Contender. The UFC will always need gate keepers.
RhythmAndStyle
2/23/11 11:20:52AM
ok first of all..if this does get turnd into a NC, cuz of the 'UA'..they should go back n turn err fight into a NC wit fighters gettin caught..i mean Sherk should have his wins takin away also..same wit Leben n all of those other guys..how f*ckin lucky can Vera get..he gets one of the bigger contracts in UFC..losses how many times n STILL get to stay in the UFC..Vera won't win against ne one in the top 10...
prozacnation1978
2/23/11 11:31:40AM
I doubt his nose will be ready by march
He got a lucky break. Next fight he needs to lay it all on the line
Boo_Radley21
2/23/11 12:14:34PM
Maybe this will motivate him and we'll finally see him step it up?
jay98107
2/23/11 12:21:25PM

Posted by FastKnockout

I just don't see how that fight could have gone any differently. Even if Silva didn't have "issues" in his samples, the fight probably wouldn't have been any less dominate.

Then what exactly is the point of drug testing? If we're just going to say that he would have won anyways, then we might as well not test at all. Every positive drug test needs to be dealt with in the exact same way, which is a No Contest.
jay98107
2/23/11 12:25:22PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I think he should still be cut. What are they going to do throw him a can again to get a win?

If thats the case, K-Sos should be cut as well.
Hendo67
2/23/11 1:33:12PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I see what you did there!
machodog76
2/23/11 1:54:09PM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

ok first of all..if this does get turnd into a NC, cuz of the 'UA'..they should go back n turn err fight into a NC wit fighters gettin caught..i mean Sherk should have his wins takin away also..same wit Leben n all of those other guys..how f*ckin lucky can Vera get..he gets one of the bigger contracts in UFC..losses how many times n STILL get to stay in the UFC..Vera won't win against ne one in the top 10...

Leban lost his fight with Bisping why should they take a win away from him just because leban was cheating?
postman
2/23/11 1:59:33PM

Posted by machodog76

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

Leban lost his fight with Bisping why should they take a win away from him just because leban was cheating?

And Franca was on the gas at the same time as Sherk so it was a level playing field
MaxOne
2/23/11 3:30:04PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

can't be that lucky of a break if the break is going to keep him out beyond march.
jay98107
2/23/11 3:38:43PM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

Yeah, he's so lucky to have fought a top 10 LHW who was roiding, and got his nose broken worse than any other nose in nose history
Cooler
2/23/11 6:42:00PM
Move back up to HW dammit.